Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

Nope nope nope not reading that nope

You should, it's not gross and the OP's writing style is a case study in how to present your legitimate grievance in such a way to make you unsupportable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'll go to my grave loling at the tent guy

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

tactlessbastard posted:

You should, it's not gross and the OP's writing style is a case study in how to present your legitimate grievance in such a way to make you unsupportable.
...no it's not? She's 15, dude.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

La Brea Carpet posted:

Somewhere, up in heaven, James Joyce just got a raging boner.

It was probably this thread eons ago, but farting came up and one goon’s response was

‘James Joyce’s revenge from beyond the grave’.

Getting farted on when the culprit is bare-assed, that’s just nasty, though. I had a person I did my MA with and she was an unrepentant farter and just cracked them off whenever she pleased. I invited my then boyfriend (we were roommates for a year), we were having a nice dinner and my roommate comes out, no pants on and blasts three on her way to the bathroom.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I always feel bad for dudes who happen to have an asian significant other because a whole lot of people are going to make a lot of assumptions about their relationship.

I mean I guess its sad to be a trophy husband of a woman with hybrid fever but hes an adult and can make his own choices

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Admiral Ray posted:

My wife [28F] uses crying to win arguments and I'm [28M] fed up after 10 years.Relationships (self.relationships)

where's the brigade of posters who are absolutely sure no one has ever connected the idea that crying can be used to make partners back off of valid complaints when you need em.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

does anyone have a link to either the post where the doctor's wife was upset that he wouldn't support her dog rollerskate business, or the girlfriend upset hey boyfriend hates her fashion style when her style is dressing like a clown?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

does anyone have a link to either the post where the doctor's wife was upset that he wouldn't support her dog rollerskate business, or the girlfriend upset hey boyfriend hates her fashion style when her style is dressing like a clown?

Anony Mouse posted:

My [22F] boyfriend [23M] hates my clothes.

aaaaAAHHHHHH

tactlessbastard fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 26, 2018

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Holy poo poo that was three hundred pages ago :psyduck: It feels like just yesterday

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

found it

quote:

Hello! I thought about posting this on /r/financialadvice but this is more about my relationship with my husband and my feelings. My husband is a surgeon, who makes quite a lot of money. We're comfortable, but always wanted to retire early. I've had jobs in the past but very low paying and I've never really found a career, but I've always known that I wanted to run my own business.

Four years ago, we made an agreement. He would fund my getting a degree in business, and support us both while I was a full time student. When I got my degree I would start a business, with money from his salary we've been saving for this. Then I would run the business, and when it's successful enough he could retire.

I graduated last semester! =) I'm so happy, it was so much work. While I was a student, my husband and I would always point out businesses, and he'd say "look how well that shoe store is doing you could do that" or I'd say "look at that Chipotle I could run a Chipotle" and it's been really fun for us, but we both always agreed that I'd be the one deciding on the business, because I'd be the one with a business degree. When I need a heart valve replaced I'll call my husband, but I'm the one that knows business, he always loved that.

Well, I found my project, I thought of it while I was walking our Pekingese, and I came home I was so excited, I told him I wanted to start a specialty online shoe store for dogs. This isn't /r/financialadvice so I wont dwell on it but it's like Heely's for dogs, with little heel skates, but the sneakers also light up when they walk. I'm 110% sure this would make a lot of money.

But my husband wont support me. He told me we would use our savings to invest in my business when I got my degree, and he still says he will, but not THAT business. We always agreed it was my decision what business I start, and he said LITERALLY ANYTHING BUT THAT. He thought I was kidding but now he gets upset whenever I push it.

Part of me thinks he can't bare for his wife to start making more money than him. I'm worried that he can't go through with the plan because he doesn't want the financial security that'll let him retire early. I don't think he has to retire early it was his idea. I don't know I'm spitballing.

Reddit, what do I do? Do I just go ahead with setting up the business? How do I talk to him about it in a way that wont upset him. I'm really worried our marriage is being really hurt by this.

tl;dr: Husband and I made an agreement, I go to school, get a degree, start a business, he can retire early. Now he doesn't want to because he doesn't like the business.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

datajugend posted:

idunno... farts are funny, but when someone has no pants or underwear covering their anus and your face takes the full farty spray of gas and fecal matter i wouldnt really find it that funny

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

God I’d pay actual money for a followup to this. Just.... so much money.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Ahahaha

quote:

Part of me thinks he can't bare for his wife to start making more money than him. I'm worried that he can't go through with the plan because he doesn't want the financial security that'll let him retire early. I don't think he has to retire early it was his idea. I don't know I'm spitballing.
Amazing that she's so convinced it's a genius idea that she can't even go with "he doesn't believe in me" and flies straight to "he must be afraid of me outshining him."

Khorne
May 1, 2002
You know what they say, all the best ideas get shot down by 99% of investors.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

This is such an incredibly stupid idea. "Heelys but for dogs!" is something I would expect a terminally high 17 year old to come up with.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Admiral Ray posted:

This is such an incredibly stupid idea. "Heelys but for dogs!" is something I would expect a terminally high 17 year old to come up with.

I still contend this idea is massive stupid and incredibly marketable.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Pick posted:

I still contend this idea is massive stupid and incredibly marketable.

The light up shoes for dogs would be fine, but the Heely's are a no go.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Has that lady never seen dogs who stop using their feet when you put them in shoes??

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
it doesn't matter if they work, it only matters if you can get it to cost $29.99 or less , at which point bored and depressed people who can't afford anything of substance in life will buy it in the hopes they can be distracted by the misery of their own existence for 2, maybe even 3 minutes

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My [27/F] best friend [27/F] has just had a baby and appears to be avoiding me, but I'm not sure. What should I do?

quote:

Hi everyone,

My best friend and I have known each other since we were 14, when we developed a close friendship in high school. When we were 22, we had a huge argument, and didn't talk for five years. She got back in touch with me in July last year, and our friendship has taken off where it left off.

She met a great guy while she was travelling overseas, and a year later went overseas to spend more time with him. While she was overseas, she fell pregnant! They also became engaged. She has since returned to our home country for better healthcare, but her fiancé has been unable to join her due to visa issues, but hopefully he will be here within the next year. She is currently living with her supportive parents and sister.

Since she returned from overseas, we have been spending a lot of time together - often seeing each other two to three times a week. I've been having my own issues with abusive parents and have developed PTSD, so it's been great having a distraction and just being able to get out and enjoy myself. I've also been supporting her throughout her pregnancy, and she was calling me her angel, and her rock.

In the last few weeks leading up to the birth of her son, I didn't see her much (she didn't seem keen), but she was still friendly via text and on Facebook. Her son was born on the 16th of March, and after his birth, I congratulated her, and said I'd love to come around and visit. I didn't hear from her. I messaged one of her other friends because I wasn't sure what to do, and she had already been invited over.

Now, she claims she has been readmitted to hospital with her son for borderline jaundice, but when I called the hospital to have some flowers delivered, there was no record of her at the hospital. Her other friend didn't know about the jaundice incident, and asked me if I was coming to his naming ceremony on Sunday. She'd spoken about his naming ceremony leading up to his birth, and said it would be when he was eight days old, but I didn't hear any further. After replying and saying I hadn't heard about the ceremony, my friend sent me a message saying the naming ceremony was cancelled because of her son's jaundice. She is otherwise reasonably friendly in her messages.

I'm just a bit confused given there isn't any record of them at the hospital, and she seems to be avoiding having me meet her son. I do have a hand tremor and am quite clumsy, so I'm wondering if she's concerned I'll accidentally upset or hurt her son.

What do you think? My PTSD has made me a bit paranoid, so I'm not sure if I'm making something out of nothing. What should I do?

Many thanks in advance!

TL;DR: My best friend has just had a baby, and appears to be avoiding me. She told me her and her son are in hospital for jaundice, but there's no record at the hospital, and I haven't been invited to the naming ceremony. I don't know what to do.
"My best friend just gave birth to a new human being and is busy with poo poo related to said birth, clearly that means she's avoiding me."

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
The idea is idiotic but I think the sleeper hit line of the post is "...but I'm the one that knows business"

slow your roll homie, you graduated last semester and so far it looks like your best business idea is "I could manage a chipotle"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Clearly she thinks you had an affair with the father and suspects you may be the true mother.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Haifisch posted:

My [27/F] best friend [27/F] has just had a baby and appears to be avoiding me, but I'm not sure. What should I do?

"My best friend just gave birth to a new human being and is busy with poo poo related to said birth, clearly that means she's avoiding me."

Is “fell pregnant” a phrase people actually say? because I associate the verb (as used there) only with bad things like illness.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Haifisch posted:

That's what I thought it would be based on the title, but it does sound a little strange after reading it. Not responding or communicating at all to her but inviting another friend over and possibly making up having jaundice is kind of weird. But maybe the OP offhandedly reveals a very good reason her friend is ignoring her in the comments, as so frequently happens.

And yes, "fell pregnant" is how it's referred to in the UK, I think. It always makes me laugh hearing it described that way.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

andrew smash posted:

The idea is idiotic but I think the sleeper hit line of the post is "...but I'm the one that knows business"

slow your roll homie, you graduated last semester and so far it looks like your best business idea is "I could manage a chipotle"

5 years ago "owning a chipotle" was a license to print money. It wasn't a terrible idea if you know the fast food industry and have the capital to open a location.

Now after all the e coli outbreaks it's a less good idea but five times better than ankle breakers for dogs.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

That's what I thought it would be based on the title, but it does sound a little strange after reading it. Not responding or communicating at all to her but inviting another friend over and possibly making up having jaundice is kind of weird. But maybe the OP offhandedly reveals a very good reason her friend is ignoring her in the comments, as so frequently happens.
The comments are actually OP being very understanding when people explain "she just had a baby, she's busy" to her, acknowledging that she shouldn't be relying on her friend as her primary outlet/coping mechanism, and deciding she'll give her friend some space while she adjusts to the whole 'baby' thing.

It's really rude of her to be all reasonable instead of entertaining.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

StrangersInTheNight posted:

It's like how once you have a kid, you can never really clock out of being a parent.

From a few pages back, but: I can assure you this is not true.

...:smith:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Haifisch posted:

tbh it does sound kind of sketchy, though my first instinct is the friend is avoiding her meeting the baby for a valid reason. As a personal source, friends with newborns are busy but they tend to want you to hang out with them even for short bursts to try to establish any sort of normalcy in their recent hell. Flakyness is normal because they have an unfixed schedule of high demands, but outright avoiding isn't something I've experienced.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

And yes, "fell pregnant" is how it's referred to in the UK, I think. It always makes me laugh hearing it described that way.

Ok, yes. That makes perfect sense and now I too have a new thing to laugh about.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

La Brea Carpet posted:

5 years ago "owning a chipotle" was a license to print money. It wasn't a terrible idea if you know the fast food industry and have the capital to open a location.

Now after all the e coli outbreaks it's a less good idea but five times better than ankle breakers for dogs.

i'm not making any statements about fast food not being a lucrative enterprise, it obviously is. I just thought her obtuse self-confidence was funny. Also please note I did say that chipotle was her best business idea. It obviously beats dog shoes.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Q

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Has that lady never seen dogs who stop using their feet when you put them in shoes??

https://youtu.be/_r0yOjI5ZPU

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Danaru posted:

I [19 M] was approached by my partner [19 F] who wants to film us having sex and sell it.

The "regular" is totally offering like $200 and she's just telling her she's giving him 50% ($10)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I (24m) have been dating the most amazing girl (26f) for ~5 months. The issue is she is convinced is visited by aliens at least weekly [serious]. Is this just "irreverence" or "quirkiness" that I can live with or a sign of something really wrong with her?

quote:

Throwaway for various reasons, most of all the girl in question "Shade," is on reddit. Also, this isn't some troll job or attempt get this sub up in arms. I'm posting here because I obviously can't ask my friends or parents for advice and after dealing with my childhood trauma with a my therapist, I'm not sure I'm ready to broach this one with him yet either.

For some background, I met Shade while in at work. We both work part time for a very specialized hobby industry (can't say which because it will lead to our subreddit) about which we are both very passionate. We hit it off when we worked on a project together and did the typical friends, friends with romantic tension, awkward kiss, hookup and now dating without ever really discussing it and five-ish months later here we are. I have never in my life met, much less dated someone like her. She is the type of person who can go for a 24 hour hike into the mountains by herself on zero sleep with nothing but a water bottle and pack of jerky, but she's also the type of person who can watch 24 hours straight of a "lockup" marathon on Netflix. She can also sleep, dance, party, go running, do hot yoga, eat a plate of lasagna and not gain a pound, drink liters of german beer, etc... basically if there's any "fun" to be had, she's up to try it at least once. I'm similar but I don't have anything close to her levels of energy. She is also always happy, I mean always, always, always cheerful, friendly and happy. She lights up any room she's in, she always has an amazing story about some far flung adventure and people just enjoy being in her presence. She is half Hispanic and half Korean and is quite literally one of the most physically beautiful human beings I've ever seen.

So I learned right away she is convinced that she's being visited by aliens almost weekly, sometimes more and that she has been an "abductee" since before she can remember. She isn't "open" about it but if anyone asks her, she would not be embarrassed in any way to tell them. She has a patch of "scoop" marks on her left shoulder where she claims her alien abductors take samples of her skin and/or DNA (this is 100% true, she has a patch about 4 inches by 4 inches that very much resembles Michael P Jordon's scars in Black Panther). Whatever is happening to her, she is absolutely convinced that she is a classic "abductee" and that her mom and grandma were too. I've even spent the night at her house when one of these "incidents" happen and she'll describe to me in detail how I slept through 3 or 4 alien beings bathing the room in blue light, stopping time and taking her away only to return her safely back before I know she's gone.

As for me, I know this isn't real. I am a terrible sleeper and spend half my nights wide awake with anxiety about some problem I'm having or another. Her "scoop marks" are exactly where you'd expect them to be if she were to reach over with her right hand to her left shoulder and nick or cut herself with a razor blade or knife. Her stories of abductions sound exactly like every other abductee that is on youtube or science fiction from the 90s. She has no proof whatsoever (save for the scoop marks, but I've covered those) but she is absolutely convinced that these are real events. I've never met her mom, but as I understand it, her mom is convinced that she and her grandmother were also victims of these aliens.

I have never and don't ever plan on questioning her or belittling her for her beliefs (I am ex-Mormon and aliens coming into my bedroom at night isn't the craziest thing I've ever heard by a long shot) but I also know that there is a 99.999999% chance this is all in her head. Her beliefs about the aliens don't seem to cause her any harm (other than what I think are cutting injuries) and don't keep her from doing anything or being productive in the outside world?

The question I ask myself all the time is can I live with this? Is this just a "quirk" like collecting Legos or eating bacon for every meal? Or is this a sign of something much larger going on and I should start making my exit?

tl;dr: Awesome girl I've is 100% convinced she is visited by aliens. She is amazing in every other way. Is this something I can learn to live with or do I need to be looking for a way out?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

She’s amazing in every way except that she’s insane

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Maybe he'll see the light when the 6 month-long manic episode ends and the depressive one starts.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Girlfriend makes the most perfect amazing meals, but the only problem is she puts cyanide in all of them, but other than that perfect.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I think she's asking to be probed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

dudeness posted:

Girlfriend makes the most perfect amazing meals, but the only problem is she puts cyanide in all of them, but other than that perfect.

I also wouldn’t want to change the meals in any way, the meals are perfect