Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

My mom let me watch whatever, play whatever, and bed time was more of a guideline :dukedoge:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mine would beat me savagely if they caught me listening to music instead of studying the Bible, and every summer I'd get sent to straight camp just to be sure

#justamericanthings

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
To put the wayback machine a little bit, people in their late-20s/earlyish-30s spent their 8-18yo years in what? That window of about 1997-2004 or so? So, you would have maybe had South Park, anime and Adult Swim content out there that would be more appealing to that same demographic with little competition in their timeslots.

Simpsons I thought had some counterprogramming competition around 15 years ago, too. If the parents were in control of the TV on Sunday nights, in the era of pretty much if you missed it on first run, you'd probably not see it again until reruns or if you were curious enough to pick up the DVDs, there was other stuff on that you were being told that was going to get watched, instead.

I seemed to recall posting about something similar in this window a while back and found that post:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3808768&pagenumber=11&perpage=40#post469206506

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Mar 26, 2018

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The Simpsons was being heavily syndicated as early as 1995 on local Fox stations. That’s when, at 10 years old, I started getting into it. Before then, my parents didn’t like us watching it but never outright forbade it. Once it hit syndication I think all the outrage over it died out for most people.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Looking back at the Simpsons and South Park both of them have a clear moment where the creators told the audience they were done trying and it was just gonna be the established formula forever.

In the Simpson's it was the Tamzarian episode.

South Park had the You're Getting Old two parter.

Now you have predictive texts writing better Simpsons pitches than actual episodes and the last time I watched South Park it was a Black Friday episode that literally ends with a commercial for the Stick of Truth.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Phlegmish posted:

I keep seeing this, what the gently caress, how do so many people have Taliban parents

I feel like it was more of a perception that it was contributing to the moral decay of America. Remember the 80's had the satanic panic.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Several of my friends including the woman I'm seeing right now all had parents that wouldn't allow them to watch The Simpsons lol.. It's really sad actually because they see all the memes and .. nothing registers. saddest thing i'd ever saw...

My folks were a lot more lenient. aka my dad taped the original Hanky the Christmas Poo episode of South Park -- I was confused when he excitedly told me about it and didn't know what he was talking about until we watched it we laughed until we cried. good memory.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
You could catch the Simpsons four times a night for awhile in the mid 90s in weekday syndication. Then a new episode on Sunday nights. I was always bummed that it wasn't on on Saturdays.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Razorwired posted:

Looking back at the Simpsons and South Park both of them have a clear moment where the creators told the audience they were done trying and it was just gonna be the established formula forever.

In the Simpson's it was the Tamzarian episode.

South Park had the You're Getting Old two parter.

Now you have predictive texts writing better Simpsons pitches than actual episodes and the last time I watched South Park it was a Black Friday episode that literally ends with a commercial for the Stick of Truth.

well if you'd kept watching slightly further into the future you'd discover that southpark ditched their structural formula partially and then completely for a couple of seasons and it ended up being pretty bad but they're definitely loving around in a way the simpsons never has.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

basic hitler posted:

well if you'd kept watching slightly further into the future you'd discover that southpark ditched their structural formula partially and then completely for a couple of seasons and it ended up being pretty bad but they're definitely loving around in a way the simpsons never has.

Also that South Park episode ended with a joke about how the Stick of Truth was in development hell.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Also that South Park episode ended with a joke about how the Stick of Truth was in development hell.

actually it was basically done, the publisher filed bankruptcy and the clusterfuck that was THQ nearly killed the studio producing stick of truth, Obsidian, and a lot of bad things happened to cool video games franchises as a result, like homeworld ending up in the hands of Gearbox.

in this chaos, stick of truth had to sit, unreleased, while who was actually gonna publish was sorted out

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

basic hitler posted:

actually it was basically done, the publisher filed bankruptcy and the clusterfuck that was THQ nearly killed the studio producing stick of truth, Obsidian, and a lot of bad things happened to cool video games franchises as a result, like homeworld ending up in the hands of Gearbox.

in this chaos, stick of truth had to sit, unreleased, while who was actually gonna publish was sorted out

I guess that would be publisher hell then.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Stick of Truth would've been so much better if the plot wasn't just a collection of references to all their famous episodes.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Apparently there’s a new lovely flashback episode that people are mad about. I’m starting to think that they’re pulling stuff like this and gimmick sequel episodes just to get people talking online.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Last Chance posted:

Several of my friends including the woman I'm seeing right now all had parents that wouldn't allow them to watch The Simpsons lol.. It's really sad actually because they see all the memes and .. nothing registers. saddest thing i'd ever saw...

My folks were a lot more lenient. aka my dad taped the original Hanky the Christmas Poo episode of South Park -- I was confused when he excitedly told me about it and didn't know what he was talking about until we watched it we laughed until we cried. good memory.

My parents got me into South Park too. They thought the swearing kids were hilarious, so taped it for me and my brother. The VHS tapes got passed round all my friends and I got to be the cool kid for a little while.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
in most recent simpsons: seconds long close ups of marges sashaying rear end. im not remotely joking. good god its bad

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Milo and POTUS posted:

in most recent simpsons: seconds long close ups of marges sashaying rear end. im not remotely joking. good god its bad

Balding writer in his 60s: get with the times, prude

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
yeah but I bet the animation quality is so bad you can't even jerk off to it

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Data Graham posted:

I grew up in California with pretty laid-back parents. When I was 14, we had a family vacation to the East Coast where for whatever reason they sent me and my younger brother ahead to stay with our super-religious aunt and uncle and their huge family in Ohio for a few days before we all caravanned out to the East in their RV to meet up with my folks.

We were in the well-established family habit by that point of watching the Simpsons, so when it came on that week as usual we suggested watching it, and of course the relatives would have none of such blasphemy in their house. I decided to plead its merits and explain how the controversial stuff was overblown and it really wasn't bad at all and especially wasn't objectionable on religious grounds. Finally they relented and we all sat down to watch it together:

"Homer the Heretic" :hmbol:

Why wasn't Flanders at church in that episode?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

screaden posted:

Why wasn't Flanders at church in that episode?
He attended an earlier service.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
is this real

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
sorry buddy
S21E12: "Boy Meets Curl"

The Simpsons head to the 2010 Winter Olympics where Marge and Homer compete as part of a mixed curling team and Lisa becomes addicted to collecting Olympic pins.
Guest Star: Bob Costas

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Embarrassing laughless attempt at relevancy? Checks out.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Is google difficult for you

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
I had that season downloaded as an insomnia remedy. The gag is that Homer and Marge are curling in the Olympics and you think "broomwork" is a reference to that.

The only reason I bring it up is that the joke is even in universe nobody watches the Simpsons anymore.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
But who can forget the great new side character that very same episode gave us?

We'll never need Poochy again with this guy around.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Homsar fell on some rough times :smith:

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Scudworth posted:

Is google difficult for you

Yeah you dumb fucker, don't ask a question in a thread about the specific picture that will be asked instantly, go onto google and hope someone made a point of mentioning this picture is real and then take their word for It.

Goons are the worst.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

What was the lowest point of Goons?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Caught up on the last couple weeks.

Flashback episode where Homer and Marge lived in Capitol City along with every secondary character for some reason. Baby Bart cost Homer a job where he had a piece of a tooth whitening strip company that was destined to make billions, and then he cost Marge her job as a nightlife reporter.

It was pretty bland, but it did have a Bill Plympton couch gag that I guess was interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEuT9sePcI4

It seems like they learned not to put a year on the flashback episodes, but the episode did look like a late 2000s pastiche. Also, Marge was impregnated by a homer sperm wearing a sweater, glasses and playing the saxophone.

The next one Skinner retires. Ralph does a rap song. I dunno somehow the episode was about creepy clown sightings. Bart goes to rehab for pranks. For some reason, Ranier Wolfcastle is doing community theater. It sucked.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The point of posting is not only to find out if it's real, but to foster further discussion of the image as well

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

PostNouveau posted:

Caught up on the last couple weeks.

Flashback episode where Homer and Marge lived in Capitol City along with every secondary character for some reason. Baby Bart cost Homer a job where he had a piece of a tooth whitening strip company that was destined to make billions, and then he cost Marge her job as a nightlife reporter.

It was pretty bland, but it did have a Bill Plympton couch gag that I guess was interesting.

It seems like they learned not to put a year on the flashback episodes, but the episode did look like a late 2000s pastiche. Also, Marge was impregnated by a homer sperm wearing a sweater, glasses and playing the saxophone.

The next one Skinner retires. Ralph does a rap song. I dunno somehow the episode was about creepy clown sightings. Bart goes to rehab for pranks. For some reason, Ranier Wolfcastle is doing community theater. It sucked.

I think you included the wrong link unless The Simpsons got really loving interesting and I should check it out again.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Justin Godscock posted:

I think you included the wrong link unless The Simpsons got really loving interesting and I should check it out again.

Eh, what would you rather watch? A guy going to town on zombies with a lawn mower, or a weird couch gag?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbI8kJuSkkY&t=1s

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

That was way better than what I expected to see.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Simpsons have gotten a lot better since they embraced ultra-gore

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

Eh, what would you rather watch? A guy going to town on zombies with a lawn mower, or a weird couch gag?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbI8kJuSkkY&t=1s

This was also good. The disconnect between the creativity of the guest gags and the show itself continues to astonish.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

The Simpsons have gotten a lot better since they embraced ultra-gore

You know, Fox turned into a hardcore violence channel so gradually I hardly noticed.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
One of the things I hate most about the recent seasons is that they do these flashback episodes where everyone is the same age. What kind of town is populated almost entirely by people in their late 30's with a tiny sprinkling of old people/kids?? It's unnatural and creepy!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's kind of weird how early on Barney was clearly Homer's best friend and eventually they just started moving away from that into even removing him from flashback episodes and now young Homer is constantly hanging out with Lenny and Karl instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

muscles like this! posted:

It's kind of weird how early on Barney was clearly Homer's best friend and eventually they just started moving away from that into even removing him from flashback episodes and now young Homer is constantly hanging out with Lenny and Karl instead.

Barney got boring when he quit drinking.

Speaking of which, has Homer run a microbrewery yet?