Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

IronicDongz posted:

I just came into this thread for the first time in a while and I have no clue what the gently caress is going on

Channel Awesome is finally taking the hard dive as everyone conga line quits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Oh, well that's good.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

IronicDongz posted:

I just came into this thread for the first time in a while and I have no clue what the gently caress is going on

Well, that's a useful contribution to the thread that will certainly not at all increase the confusion.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

Puppy Time posted:

Marzgurl reblogged a compilation of CA's litany of poo poo, for those who are interested but don't want to track down details scattered across the Twitterverse.

:eng101:

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Mokinokaro posted:

The sad part is I can't tell if you're joking or not.

I am not.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
There's going to be two people left to be in the special, and one of them needs to work the camera.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

They are kind of the two perfect people to play off against Doug. They're basically his two most prominent facets personified: "I hate movies and am only able to express that through screaming" (Buster) and "I love the naked commercialization of the nostalgia surrounding all these movies I hate" (Some Jerk).

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Idran posted:

He did just tweet this a couple days ago, though.

https://twitter.com/thecinemasnob/status/977217064229154816

The only thing that will cause Brad to leave, it seems, is Doug sleeping with his wife.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

Same on both fronts. I would hope something that's just like historical information like what Ian provides ends up being fine.

General education doesn't strike me as the kind of thing that would be the primary concern, especially compared to insane enthusiasts showing off ~killing potential~ or whatever via fruit and other junk. Or is that just done for swords?
I think the biggest place he would run into problems are advertising the upcoming gun auctions for his pieces at the ends of the videos.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The real interesting part about Channel Awesome imploding is that it shows that the actual critical content, bad as it is, has in discussion become secondary to the parasocial experience.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Miss Wallace posted:

He won't leave, he and Blockbuster Buster are the stars of the 10th anniversary.

This is the saddest sentence I've ever read in this thread. It's our very own "For sale : baby shoes, never worn."

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
I just watched Kim's new video on Cryo's Dune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEkPZpd3xaE

I also had Dune on Amiga and I'm surprised I never wore the disk out! I loved that game!

Couple of notes - Cryo resurrected a stripped down Dune engine sometime later with Lost Eden which I also love but mostly only because of talking dinosaurs (and the soundtrack - I LOVE the soundtrack) Nothing important here, I just want to share Lost Eden's intro.

Also Dune not only launched Cryo into some form of commercial success, but also killed it.

Dune is a fickle mistress, it would seem. :)

e

*some sort of gif with a guy repeating the word 'no' to increasing urgency, desperation and distress*

KayTee fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 26, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The real interesting part about Channel Awesome imploding is that it shows that the actual critical content, bad as it is, has in discussion become secondary to the parasocial experience.

Abusive practices at a company tend to be more relevant than the quality of its product, yes.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Darth Walrus posted:

Abusive practices at a company tend to be more relevant than the quality of its product, yes.

Yes, the quality of the criticism is indeed at best secondary, because the parasocial experience and consumption itself are the real attraction. The illusion of community makes it a fervently personal matter, with all fans, haters, and followers being on a first-name basis with the creators, even in this thread.

This is why people were so offended at Spoony not doing anything while making money: it prevented consumption from happening, and the personal connection made it even more of a betrayal. It's more important that Spoony do something rather than what that "something" is.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think it's more important for you to stop posting than what those "posts" actually are.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

lornekates posted:

I was thinking the same thing, for the same reasons.
Ill admit thats half the reason I keep tweaking my OP layout and not just posting it. :v:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Nothing ends, Zedd. Nothing ever ends.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

I just spent time looking through all available emojis, and there isn't one that can accurately convey the stomach-stabbing WTF those three words bring.

I, and this isn't a hyperbole, still get nigh-PTSD whenever Blockbuster Buster is mentioned, all from that one ONE video of his I watched. Nearly 10 minutes of (I don't have sarcastic enough airquotes, forgive me) "humor sketch" before the review actually started. And that included THREE distinct "the episode is starting"-type edits/fades. And this isn't because I didn't know the characters or whatever. I've watched LOTS of storyline stuff from other critics-- heck episodes of TV shows in their fourth season I've never seen-- and can still piece together more or less what's going on.

This was five minutes straight of a conference call where people in costumes yelled and talked over each other, while one of them made two dolls make out. It was anti-humor on a level I've never seen before. No, anti-humor isn't the right term, because anti-humor is carefully crafted to be funny while not being funny. This was just-- um-- okay, you've all heard of Dark Matter, right? Mysterious, unseen matter that exists because calculations show our universe should mass more than it does, based on visible / known matter. No one can find it, define it, or make any sense of it. Well, there's also this concept of ANTI-dark matter. Just like matter has it's anti-counterparts, there is theoretical anti-dark matter. So it's a theoretical inversion of a theoretical mass made up of particles no one understands.

THAT'S the level of anti-humor on display.

And the actual film criticism was worse.

And no, this isn't "oh you stumbled onto an early episode, everyone's early episodes suck". This was 2015-- 5 years into his career.

Go ahead. Watch it. Try, I dare you. Tell me how far you get before you shut it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VISzxfvWg5M

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Okay so, Some Jerk With a Camera apparently is an actual jerk.
https://twitter.com/tonygoldmark/status/975543463675482112
Haha yeah I wonder why Allison blogged him that drama queen!

Edit:
https://twitter.com/tonygoldmark/status/976921175476510720
Oh my god dude. You did it. You made the worst analogue ever.

Sarcopenia fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 26, 2018

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

lornekates posted:

I just spent time looking through all available emojis, and there isn't one that can accurately convey the stomach-stabbing WTF those three words bring.

I, and this isn't a hyperbole, still get nigh-PTSD whenever Blockbuster Buster is mentioned, all from that one ONE video of his I watched. Nearly 10 minutes of (I don't have sarcastic enough airquotes, forgive me) "humor sketch" before the review actually started. And that included THREE distinct "the episode is starting"-type edits/fades. And this isn't because I didn't know the characters or whatever. I've watched LOTS of storyline stuff from other critics-- heck episodes of TV shows in their fourth season I've never seen-- and can still piece together more or less what's going on.

This was five minutes straight of a conference call where people in costumes yelled and talked over each other, while one of them made two dolls make out. It was anti-humor on a level I've never seen before. No, anti-humor isn't the right term, because anti-humor is carefully crafted to be funny while not being funny. This was just-- um-- okay, you've all heard of Dark Matter, right? Mysterious, unseen matter that exists because calculations show our universe should mass more than it does, based on visible / known matter. No one can find it, define it, or make any sense of it. Well, there's also this concept of ANTI-dark matter. Just like matter has it's anti-counterparts, there is theoretical anti-dark matter. So it's a theoretical inversion of a theoretical mass made up of particles no one understands.

And no, this isn't "oh you stumbled onto an early episode, everyone's early episodes suck". This was 2015-- 5 years into his career.

Go ahead. Watch it. Try, I dare you. Tell me how far you get before you shut it off.

Dang, it's like Birdemic if Nguyen were an internet geek instead of a film geek.

Edit: Made it about 3 minutes in

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sarcopenia posted:

Edit:

“That cognitive dissonance was really bothering me, man. Thanks for giving me an excuse to ignore it!”

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
I'm glad I pegged him for an annoying rear end in a top hat the moment he entered and ruined Kyle's Beauty and the Beast video.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Dang, I was considering stomaching the obnoxious gimmick and trying out more of his videos. Guess I'm not doing that!

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
"Urgh I just hate drama, which is why, instead of just making a post about how I support Doug I'm going to trash the person who is the obvious drama queen here."

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Yes, the quality of the criticism is indeed at best secondary, because the parasocial experience and consumption itself are the real attraction. The illusion of community makes it a fervently personal matter, with all fans, haters, and followers being on a first-name basis with the creators, even in this thread.

This is why people were so offended at Spoony not doing anything while making money: it prevented consumption from happening, and the personal connection made it even more of a betrayal. It's more important that Spoony do something rather than what that "something" is.

Nah

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
BOTL logs into Patreon and ups his Spoony donation to a thousand. "I still believe in you," he says. "No matter what they say, I still believe..."

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

"I'm going to spend all my Twitter time talking about how totally loving woke I am and making generic posts about left-wing politics and Trump bashing but LMAO at doing something when it directly involves me, see ya later bitch!"

Ugh. Go watch Defunctland if you want vids about theme parks imo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sarcopenia posted:

Edit:

"Silence is better than feuding"

What the gently caress?! :stare:

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Sarcopenia posted:

loving hell, Tony. I actually liked some of his vids (see earlier recommendation for that omgwefilmedindisney review). But that's one less subscription I have to worry about.

It'd be one thing to say "I have my own opinions, but no comment for now".

It's another to go "subtweet: omfg this crazy bitch is soooo wrong, i mean sure I accidentally alluded to walkers + mushead being serial abusers, but isn't the victims speaking up worse? i think it's best if we just wait for proof, ignoring, of course, the hundreds of other incidents from dozens of other people independently verified by many other people, plus written records. who are the real victims here?"

And this... this... this loving signoff...

"Apologizing is better than silence."

CHANNEL AWWWWFUCKTHEM HAS DONE LITERALLY NOTHING BUT BE SILENT AND NOT APOLOGIZE!

You idiot.

I'm just shocked his followup post wasn't "she must be on her mensies lol women".

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I applaud BOTL's eloquence. I condemn what he is applying it to.

lornekates posted:

Awesome. I liked it. Found myself a new favorite internet critic. Thanks a lot lornekates! :hfive:

This is what this thread should be all about. Finding and sharing awesome stuff! :thumbsup:

Nah, just kidding. I had pretty much the same reaction you did when I treied watching one of vids like five zears ago.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

Well yeah, there is no substance to any of there reviews. Even at the height of there popularity CA was about about the skits rather than any meaningful criticism. Doug screaming like a moron is completely vapid but makes sense for some lame comedian using movies as a way to reach people. Everyone that matters left long ago.

corn in the bible posted:

BOTL logs into Patreon and ups his Spoony donation to a thousand. "I still believe in you," he says. "No matter what they say, I still believe..."
That is the opposite of what he's saying.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

FYI: Channel Awesome now:

vs. Channel Awesome at the start of the month:

So on top of those discussed here, also left are:

- Vangelus
- Weekly Manga Recap
- Rap Critic (how did I miss that, I'm on his tweeter-- unless they though Rap Critic and Todd were the same person?!?)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hellbunny posted:

That is the opposite of what he's saying.

I disagree.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

lornekates posted:

loving hell, Tony. I actually liked some of his vids (see earlier recommendation for that omgwefilmedindisney review). But that's one less subscription I have to worry about.

It'd be one thing to say "I have my own opinions, but no comment for now".

It's another to go "subtweet: omfg this crazy bitch is soooo wrong, i mean sure I accidentally alluded to walkers + mushead being serial abusers, but isn't the victims speaking up worse? i think it's best if we just wait for proof, ignoring, of course, the hundreds of other incidents from dozens of other people independently verified by many other people, plus written records. who are the real victims here?"

And this... this... this loving signoff...

"Apologizing is better than silence."

CHANNEL AWWWWFUCKTHEM HAS DONE LITERALLY NOTHING BUT BE SILENT AND NOT APOLOGIZE!

You idiot.

I'm just shocked his followup post wasn't "she must be on her mensies lol women".

This is just so unbelievably loving dumb. Like, is he not aware that no one gives a poo poo if he stays at Channel Awesome or not? That's the general narrative - sure, not everyone's going to be leaving, but people have their reasons for sticking and largely they are being respected.

But clearly Some Prick With A Camera is rather perturbed by the thought of those he's so friendly with being complete arseholes, he must say something...and boom - he feels he needs to really justify it. So not only does he go automatically on the defense, he attacks those who have legitimate problems with CA too, really upping the true believer points and digging a gigantic hole when he didn't need to even pick up a shovel. He even has the nerve to justify it further by comparing it to #MeToo and Time's Up and invoking Trump for the 978998696th time this hour. What a piece of poo poo.

Now THAT'S what both sides look like.

In one word: DENIAL. Anger next.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
But seriously it's really creepy how the full on anger seems to only be directed at Allison. A lot of it smells a lot of "uppity attention whore female tryna take aaway my screamy mans".

And I really don't get the attention thing they are trying to project onto her (funnily enough people did the same thing with Rose Mcgowan). Except for the Tumblr "firing" post I've only seen her make a fuss when one of her friends have been treated like poo poo.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Jesus loving Christ nerds are the goddamn worst, throw them in the sea.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

"Silence is better than feuding", huh? How unfortunate that he couldn't follow his own advice.

I'm all for waiting for evidence and whatever, but come on. There's plenty of evidence here from all sorts of different people. If he's friends with Doug and doesn't want to do anything to betray that friendship, then fine, but in that case he should just keep his nose out of this.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 26, 2018

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
imagine a website where you could just make videos about stuff you like or comically dislike and nobody is a weird jerk about it

a strange and distant possibility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Kim Justice posted:

"I'm going to spend all my Twitter time talking about how totally loving woke I am and making generic posts about left-wing politics and Trump bashing but LMAO at doing something when it directly involves me, see ya later bitch!"

Ugh. Go watch Defunctland if you want vids about theme parks imo.

defunctland is very good
like, he actually makes me interested in theme parks where as i normally don't care

• Locked thread