Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Philman posted:

is your voice key also a screenshot key or a start and stop recording key?

not that i know of it never was before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I love these videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgjlUr4DFyA

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I really should try a 1 man squad run just in a vehicle and become a killdozer.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Jiro posted:

I really should try a 1 man squad run just in a vehicle and become a killdozer.

I do this all the time and it rules. And since you don't need your hearing as much, you can get away with listening to podcasts and the like, too.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
"Servers are too busy". Anyone else seeing this? I'm in the EU.

I don't see anything on their twitter or forums about downtime...

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Rex-Goliath posted:

Has anyone else played 8-mans yet? What's it like?

Four goons and four Chinese players.

I’ve started calling out basic stuff in English followed by (horribly broken) Mandarin.

Knee-how!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

do even the highest loot areas have enough for 8 people. getting kitted out must be nightmarish.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Groovelord Neato posted:

do even the highest loot areas have enough for 8 people. getting kitted out must be nightmarish.

8-man squads also increases the spawn rates of rifles by 2x, so it's really not that bad. Just drop in a prime location, kill the one other team that drops there with you, and you're pretty much set.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ohhhh that makes sense. i was thinking that even mil base yo uwouldn't get close to getting a squad of 8 all loaded up.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I'm finding TPP to be a lot better for me. 2 Chicken dinners this weekend. Also, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78bKsOK5Li0

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So yeah, this game definitely outputs 7.1 surround if you have a 7.1 endpoint and the panning is a lot better if you use some headphone virtualizer.

I'm still a potato but it helps a little.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Playing the mobile version, I realised there's a minimum speed required for running someone over, such as an individual who's at the top of a steep bank. So even if you nudge them twice, they'll eventually figure out something is amiss, turn around and shoot you. :downs:

Also playing the mobile version, it's physically impossible to move around without accidentally firing off your weapon once every minute. I switch to single fire mode mostly for this reason, and I don't think I would be popular on a squad :saddowns:

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

NZAmoeba posted:

Also playing the mobile version, it's physically impossible to move around without accidentally firing off your weapon once every minute. I switch to single fire mode mostly for this reason, and I don't think I would be popular on a squad :saddowns:

I had to move the fire buttons around so I wouldn't open a door then fire off a whole clip into the floor while trying to strafe through the doorway.

I was also mocked by rando teens in my squad for being way old for mentioning DOOM.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

drat, looks like I need to make a new thread to exclude stupid mobile talk, too.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Love it when things go exactly how I planned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqlJLQr7jPM

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

BCRock posted:

Love it when things go exactly how I planned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqlJLQr7jPM

:stare:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That was awesome; and yeah any time I jump off a roof I'm always surprised by how little damage I take. Like, you can throw yourself off the roof of the apartments by the school on erangel and, as long as you catch some protrusion along the wall on the way down, you'll be fine.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

VulgarandStupid posted:

drat, looks like I need to make a new thread to exclude stupid mobile talk, too.

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds 1.0 - Get your console mobile trash out of here

edit:
^^^^ The lack of any severe fall damage is an interesting design decision considering this is an arma-like. Is there anything explaining why? I'm assuming it was done for gameplay reasons as "This is not a platformer" and dying from fall damage when the movement is somewhat janky wouldn't be a great player experience.

NZAmoeba fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 26, 2018

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

99% sure it's "we couldn't stop people dying by falling over bad map geometry so we lowered the damage instead"

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I regularly die falling off the cliffs on Stalber.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Khablam posted:

99% sure it's "we couldn't stop people dying by falling over bad map geometry so we lowered the damage instead"

Doesn't holding the handbrake button in cars also make you immune to collision damage? That seems like a fairly easy way to get around janky vehicle physics as well.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
So what's this new trick to parachuting? I see Chocotaco do an S shape - down, sideways, down, sideways, down - now. He says it's faster. Did anyone figure it out?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

So what's this new trick to parachuting? I see Chocotaco do an S shape - down, sideways, down, sideways, down - now. He says it's faster. Did anyone figure it out?

I think I have it figured out. Basically, you point straight down, and as your arms move close to your body you can see the camera pull back a tad. That is the "speed burst" for going down, once you settle in and the animation doesn't move anymore, that is when you move your mouse back so you point forward. This causes you to flatten out and move horizontally towards where you are facing. Fly like that for a beat. Then, switch back to going straight down. Rinse and repeat.

It also helps if you jump out slightly before the plane passes directly next to your marker (the marker is directly above the wings of the plane, if you move the camera where the wings are pointed top to bottom on the screen). This way you get a slight head start on everyone else trying for that location. I beat about 15-20 people down to Hacienda that way over the weekend.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

NZAmoeba posted:

The lack of any severe fall damage is an interesting design decision considering this is an arma-like. Is there anything explaining why? I'm assuming it was done for gameplay reasons as "This is not a platformer" and dying from fall damage when the movement is somewhat janky wouldn't be a great player experience.

My opinion is that they couldn't get the fall damage consistent enough, so they probably just lowered it overall. There have been times jumping off the same buildings where I wouldn't take any damage at all or it would take 1/4 of my health. Jank.

The best improvement they made to this game has been chute damage. It seems it doesn't really exist anymore, and it's amazing. The second best improvement they made to this game was "improving" the three-wheeler bug where it randomly spins out and throws you in the air. It happens 1000% more often now that they "improved" it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
A hint for trike drivers: shoot the tire out of the sidecar. Once that's done it performs exactly the same as the two wheeled motorcycle.

Mind you that's probably not going to help you much.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Party Plane Jones posted:

A hint for trike drivers: shoot the tire out of the sidecar. Once that's done it performs exactly the same as the two wheeled motorcycle.

Mind you that's probably not going to help you much.

Does this help with the post-patch from 3 weeks ago when they "improved" the glitch though? I know it provided stability to the vehicle before that patch, but after the patch, it's just a straight up glitch where the bike does a 360 spin out of nowhere, no matter what type of terrain you are on.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Does this help with the post-patch from 3 weeks ago when they "improved" the glitch though? I know it provided stability to the vehicle before that patch, but after the patch, it's just a straight up glitch where the bike does a 360 spin out of nowhere, no matter what type of terrain you are on.

Oh you don't say

https://streamable.com/2yy3k

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Unfortunately shooting the wheel out does not help with this issue, from what I've seen on streams.

I've also seen some people purposely shoot out one of the front wheels on the Miramas bus, supposedly to go faster. I don't believe in it myself.

Hockles posted:

I think I have it figured out. Basically, you point straight down, and as your arms move close to your body you can see the camera pull back a tad. That is the "speed burst" for going down, once you settle in and the animation doesn't move anymore, that is when you move your mouse back so you point forward. This causes you to flatten out and move horizontally towards where you are facing. Fly like that for a beat. Then, switch back to going straight down. Rinse and repeat.

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
They are, in fact, going to region lock china.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
region lock and.... skins!

http://steamcommunity.com/games/578080/announcements/detail/1653258341515442673

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Well, it's so successful in CSGO, I am going to guess that any shooter with a budget (and those without even) will bring skins into the fold to make truckloads of money.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lol if you haven't been saving your BP in order to flip these crates when they first drop

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

MF_James posted:

Well, it's so successful in CSGO, I am going to guess that any shooter with a budget (and those without even) will bring skins into the fold to make truckloads of money.

Nothing they have shown leads me to believe that it is going to work the same way as CS:GO. I think that no matter what gun you pick up, whether it is a spawn or looted off a dead guy, it is only going to show your gun skin. So, even if you loot my dead body and I have Green Camo M4, and you pick it up you will only see your Neon Orange M4 skin.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Hockles posted:

Nothing they have shown leads me to believe that it is going to work the same way as CS:GO. I think that no matter what gun you pick up, whether it is a spawn or looted off a dead guy, it is only going to show your gun skin. So, even if you loot my dead body and I have Green Camo M4, and you pick it up you will only see your Neon Orange M4 skin.

Oh ok, I didn't look at their info about it, that seems kind of stupid though, if other people can't pick up my pink gun named "BonerHiterWeedLord420", what is the point?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Hockles posted:

They haven't really shown anything at all about how it works in a live game, have they?

If anything, there is precedent with the clothing system that they are okay or even encouraging of letting players be able to swipe someone's $600 jacket after they kill them.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
That eight-goon match was awesome.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Had a few good games last night, I've been dropping into hot spots to see how well I do, provided I don't get turbofucked and choose a building that literally has no guns, I do fairly well. The super busy cities and such I'll usually die after 2-3 kills, if I drop somewhere a little less busy, with maybe 2-3 people at it, I'll come out alive. I did have a really annoying death where I was barely ahead of the circle as it was closing, got maybe a hundred feet into it and then shot in the back because some guy was doing the same thing I was (riding the edge of the circle) except he was slower than me.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Rex-Goliath posted:

lol if you haven't been saving your BP in order to flip these crates when they first drop

I cannot wait for my free money.

I had a weird kill round last night in duos. I had 8 kills: 3 grenade kills, an M24 kill, a silenced UMP kill, and three SCAR kills. We had such poo poo loot until we raided the crate. Took third though :( Bad last circle for me.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Scoss posted:

They haven't really shown anything at all about how it works in a live game, have they?

No, but hopefully we can see soon with the test server build. I just don't see any way for the game to know that Hockles picked up an M4, make it camo green. Then, when I drop it, it stays camo green. But then what about the next M4 I pick up? Will that one have my skin too or just a default one?

I think the easiest way is just going to have the game display me my skins and you your skins no matter what weapon you pick up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Hockles posted:

I just don't see any way for the game to know that Hockles picked up an M4, make it camo green.

hahahahaha