Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

drat, yo

Time flies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Xarbala posted:

drat, yo

Time flies.

Soon, we'll have to discard our calendar for a new timeline.

Otherwise, we'll be invaded by aliens.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xarbala posted:

drat, yo

Time flies.

We are further away in time from Gundam Wing than Gundam Wing was from the original Gundam

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gundam Wing is probably older than some goons.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

OneMoreTime posted:

Hey ya'll, here to ask a question that I'm sure has been asked before. I plan on introducing my girlfriend to a little bit of Gundam and I was thinking about starting out (and probably ending it at) 0080. Do you think this would be a logical starting point or there something else I should go with first? Much appreciated in advance.

Turn A... Gundam

Seriously, I would love to have been able to watch Turn A Gundam with zero prior Gundam knowledge, because that's the perspective of literally every character but Corin Nander.

...Holy poo poo, we're all Corin Nander.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

To be fair only two shows have had seasons, gundam 00 and IBO. Age completed it's whole lovely run in the usual gundam fashion.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

brainwrinkle posted:

Victory is good again after an episode where Flanders and Haro stage a daring rescue mission to save a naked Üso from bath torture

That episode was kind of weird. It was like Tomino wrote it as a joke, and then realised ‘oh, right, paedophile rapists are awful’ and played Lupe for unsettling drama from then onwards.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Darth Walrus posted:

That episode was kind of weird. It was like Tomino wrote it as a joke, and then realised ‘oh, right, paedophile rapists are awful’ and played Lupe for unsettling drama from then onwards.

It is exceptionally weird and uncomfortable. She just can't understand why he wouldn't be into getting raped by a much older woman as a hostage.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

It is exceptionally weird and uncomfortable. She just can't understand why he wouldn't be into getting raped by a much older woman as a hostage.

And the whole episode is framed as wacky comedy hijinks, right up to ending with a naked Uso climbing a curtain while exasperated Zanscare officers poke at him with brooms.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Raxivace posted:

I am only older than it by 2 months.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
That episode is a lot, but the one before it is worse imo. The one where they purposefully get captured and sent to a POW camp by a Zanscare-aligned colony. Then Marbet and Oliver get married somewhat as a ruse to make the guards less suspicious so that they can escape?? It’s just such a bizarre and lovely treatment for the Marbet/Oliver/Junko subplot since Junko died one or two episodes ago.

And they end up getting saved by Katejina and Cronicle loving up their raid on the colony.

e: forgot to mention that the colony was preparing to execute everyone not from the Federation military in the group since they were obviously League Militaire terrorists. And they got captured on purpose.

brainwrinkle fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 24, 2018

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Raxivace posted:

It is 3 years older than me... Speaking of Wing, I just finished my RG Wing Gundam EW the other day. It looks pretty nice IMO.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Raxivace posted:

I'm as old as 0080: War in the Pocket is. :unsmith:

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Jesus tap dancing Christ I was in high school when Wing came to the states.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Zedd posted:

I'm as old as 0080: War in the Pocket is. :unsmith:

You're only 29, my dude. You're still young.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Beelerzebub posted:

You're only 29, my dude. You're still young.

Yeah. He's got a whole year before the Sandmen hunt him down to be renewed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah. He's got a whole year before the Sandmen hunt him down to be renewed.

Every day hiding from them is hell for me :ohdear:.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Hey, I got that reference... to a 42 year old movie. :(

Thankfully I'm not actually that old.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Gundam Unicorn made a cameo in Pacific Rim: Uprising. :v:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Lord Koth posted:

Hey, I got that reference... to a 42 year old movie. :(

Thankfully I'm not actually that old.
Logan's Run right? I like that movie.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Gundam Unicorn made a cameo in Pacific Rim: Uprising. :v:

In what form? Kit on someone's desk?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The fight takes place in Tokyo, and they end up near the 1/1 scale statue

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

As a statue outside of the Anaheim Electronics building

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I've been thinking about Victory Gundam lately, and well, what could have been if Tomino wasn't depressed and fighting against toy execs during its production. Like in some alternate world it's actually a good show.

If it were up to you, how would you fix it?

Some random screencap from the show:

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Seed Destiny might have been shite, but it did have some good music attached.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol4pGlJeTpU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Schneider Heim posted:

I've been thinking about Victory Gundam lately, and well, what could have been if Tomino wasn't depressed and fighting against toy execs during its production. Like in some alternate world it's actually a good show.

If it were up to you, how would you fix it?

Some random screencap from the show:

The motorcycle poo poo was loving dumb. Why the hell do battleships need tires. Why are tires a form of flying transportation. His ghost rider send off when he finally gets it as a side character is beyond silly too.

I really can't say how disappointed I was by Victory, I expected so much better from it.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Docker Iqq was the only good part of victory, you take that back.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Logicblade posted:

The name Jinn Gehenam will live on for a thousand years!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I decided to listen to the Build Fighters soundtrack again today, and hot take it's still really good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The motorcycle battleships are the best part of Victory holy poo poo.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Honestly, so much of Victory is tied up in toy company weirdness and Tomino's issues that it'd be an entirely different show if those weren't involved.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hellioning posted:

Honestly, so much of Victory is tied up in toy company weirdness and Tomino's issues that it'd be an entirely different show if those weren't involved.

Yeah, it's not like Gundam Age or 0083 where the plot is so stupid it's easy to come up with ways it could've been done better. The changes people would want for Victory are stuff like, "make the Shrike Team stick around longer" or "Change the perception of women that the creator had at the time that underlies and informs the whole series"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, it's not like Gundam Age or 0083 where the plot is so stupid it's easy to come up with ways it could've been done better. The changes people would want for Victory are stuff like, "make the Shrike Team stick around longer" or "Change the perception of women that the creator had at the time that underlies and informs the whole series"

yeah, the thing about Victory is, it's very pointedly not stupid. it's just :yikes: as all gently caress from pretty much beginning to end.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Logicblade posted:

This is at least partially true, but it doesn't make the actual concept any less dumb.

The physics of all those units (Gundam isn't that loose a robot sci fi with their physics) just hurt my head. None of it makes sense. Nothing that Zanscare does or deploys makes any sense, even in the context of hyper evil space villains.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 26, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chumbler posted:

I decided to listen to the Build Fighters soundtrack again today, and hot take it's still really good.

My favourite track that isn't the Meister themes is the match intro one with the countdown. Such an excellent way to hype up the start of every fight :allears:.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Guy Goodbody posted:

That is true. Might as well be another show entirely. I just have a real soft spot for the Victory and V2 Gundams. I also liked the Akira Senju score, it was somewhat more Western-sounding than the usual fare.

Now TV anime F91 would have been something, though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's always the possibility they'll make a TV adaptation of crossbone...

Or they'll make yet another federation/zeon conflict

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I really don't get people's fascination with F91 as a concept for a full show. I was completely unsurprised to read that translated interview on Zeonic that talked about how F91 was intended to be the start of a new era of Gundam stories that'd replace the Zeon era now that Char's Counterattack had closed the door on Amuro and Char, because it's basically a soft reboot with a lot of the same factors of 0079. Kid falling in to Gundam a family member designed, masked villain with a family member close to the hero, aristocratic villains in world war II-esque mobile suits talking about elitism on Earth, older and more principled villain ostensibly running the faction while a younger, more charismatic but wilder villain really has the wheel and pushes the faction to doing way more terrible things. And yes, I'm aware that some of those elements are common to more than Gundam, but the point is that F91 just seems like another attempt to capture the lightning in a bottle that was 0079 to me; including emphasizing the bits people liked (the Sayla character has more promience) and pushing to the background the bits people didn't (the Guncannon is just a museum piece used for a short period). It's not a bad concept or anything, there's just nothing there inherently interesting to me because most of it's already been done in UC as is.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012
A new New Gundam Breaker trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTd8xr9y5ig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

tsob posted:

I really don't get people's fascination with F91 as a concept for a full show. I was completely unsurprised to read that translated interview on Zeonic that talked about how F91 was intended to be the start of a new era of Gundam stories that'd replace the Zeon era now that Char's Counterattack had closed the door on Amuro and Char, because it's basically a soft reboot with a lot of the same factors of 0079. Kid falling in to Gundam a family member designed, masked villain with a family member close to the hero, aristocratic villains in world war II-esque mobile suits talking about elitism on Earth, older and more principled villain ostensibly running the faction while a younger, more charismatic but wilder villain really has the wheel and pushes the faction to doing way more terrible things. And yes, I'm aware that some of those elements are common to more than Gundam, but the point is that F91 just seems like another attempt to capture the lightning in a bottle that was 0079 to me; including emphasizing the bits people liked (the Sayla character has more promience) and pushing to the background the bits people didn't (the Guncannon is just a museum piece used for a short period). It's not a bad concept or anything, there's just nothing there inherently interesting to me because most of it's already been done in UC as is.

At the time the only other stuff in Gundam were the SD shorts and War in the Pocket. It's interesting to look at F91 because it is a glimpse into what could have been for Gundam instead of what we got. If that series had been made instead of 0083 then it possibly could have diverged wildly. Just look at how Crossbone Gundam differs from usual UC stories and extrapolate. While 0080 was the first non Tomino UC series, I feel like it was 0083 that really led to the obsession with One Year War side stories and the endless proliferation of Zaku designs. F91 is seen as the stillborn alternative to that.

It probably would have just been feds vs zeon with zeon replaced by the Vanguard, but Gundam will always be about one super white suit mowing down a bunch of green suits.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 27, 2018