Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Collect all the weapons and stab the god beasts so hard in chapter five that they just go and sort poo poo out for you so you can marry your wife and stop bugging them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

EagerSleeper posted:

Four broskis in a car traveling around the country and charging up JO crystals along the way.

Ugh, I wished I never Googled that just now

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Palladium posted:

Ugh, I wished I never Googled that just now

If it makes you feel any better (it won't) consider searching for Totomostro. That will make you wish for childish humor, rather than "my lord, why did someone choose to program this?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
4 bros go on roadtrip so princebro can prove hes responsible enough to be kingbro by helpinv people out and experiencing the world, they go back to capital and find empire attacking and have to rally and save everyone would have been a way better story.
World of Ruin should have been the literal last scene in the game.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Night10194 posted:

I gaurangoddamntee you that if the plot had just been 'boyband goes on a road trip' without any of this nonsense people would have preferred it.

That's what I had been hoping for when I originally heard the vauge outline for this game way back. No big epic save the world plot. Just a bunch of dudes on a fantasy road trip where hijinks ensue. It would have been a refreshing change of pace.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I think I would've enjoyed it since it sounds like the Ghost Train segment of FFVI but as an entire game.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.
:frogsiren: UPDATE :frogsiren:

Episode 58: Kuvo takes a poo poo

We're close to the end oh sweet baby jesus

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
First there was "Benson talks on the phone" and now "Kuvo takes a poo poo."

lol, Noctis looks like such a bum it's great. All Gladiolus got was a beard.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 26, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"Cindy and Iris are badass slayers now. No, you can't see them, they're in... uh... Canada."

I know the real reason is "we want to make as few new character models as possible" but it's still amusing.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Bruceski posted:

"Cindy and Iris are badass slayers now. No, you can't see them, they're in... uh... Canada."

I know the real reason is "we want to make as few new character models as possible" but it's still amusing.

OH COME ON I was actually holding out hope they'd show up again!!1

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I bet they're just waiting for the endgame waifu selection.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Lunethex posted:

OH COME ON I was actually holding out hope they'd show up again!!1

I haven't played the game, so they might.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

You know all the joking aside I think the strongest detail in this entire game was unfairly overlooked. That detail is the fact the cup noodle hat also looked worn down and dirty 10 years later, the actual hat part. The labels were faded and worn.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What have they been eating for ten years of darkness? Did Ignis invent a new recipe every time someone brought in the demonic vegetable they killed?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Why is there still grass?

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
So my take away from Ardyn's story was that he's real sick of being alive and the only person who could kill him would be a super powered Noct and also it would cost Noct his life. This was also all set in stone eons ago and maybe it was hobomans destiny to take the darkness into himself so that it could later be destroyed and the gods all knew about all of this and

I'm also pretty sure everyone including Noct knew that the journey would end in Nocts death. Which makes Gladio being a dick even worse.

I still can't believe they made Noct Jesus, they literally call him the 'King of Kings'

The golden quay sequenced was insane. I was so over powered by that point I was swatting em like flies lol. Some King.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

coleman francis posted:

So my take away from Ardyn's story was that he's real sick of being alive and the only person who could kill him would be a super powered Noct and also it would cost Noct his life. This was also all set in stone eons ago and maybe it was hobomans destiny to take the darkness into himself so that it could later be destroyed and the gods all knew about all of this and

I'm also pretty sure everyone including Noct knew that the journey would end in Nocts death. Which makes Gladio being a dick even worse.

I still can't believe they made Noct Jesus, they literally call him the 'King of Kings'

The golden quay sequenced was insane. I was so over powered by that point I was swatting em like flies lol. Some King.

I'm getting FF10 flashbacks

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe he's really only been asleep for a month and this is all a big prank.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Considering only 6 things happened I'd believe it.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
We'll show MGSV how to do an exposition car ride! :argh:

"We discovered the daemons aren't feral monsters, they were people just like us. But we can't fix them so we're just going to kill them all anyway." :psyduck:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
magimachines, son

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Have you noticed how nothing in this game is actually initiated by the main character? He doesn't DO anything.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
This game is so loving good at creating semi-interesting concepts and then completely wasting them. A post-apocalyptic demon world version of the original map where cheery waifu-bait characters like Iris and Cindy have been forced to become hard-nosed demon slayers and what remains of the general public thinks Noctis abandoned them because they didn't see him get sucked into the crystal sphincter would actually be really interesting to explore. But no they just kinda drop the setting at the player's feet, explain a few characters where are they now credits montage style, and point you at the final boss. This loving game.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it's really bizarre that the most emotional performance by far we've gotten in this game is adult talcott randomly reflecting on his grandfathers death in the middle of a menu full of bullshit time skip exposition

having non-bland voice acting at any other point in the game probably would have been a good idea

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
What the hell is going on

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

goatface posted:

Why is there still grass?

None of the demons are herbivorous, duh

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

It's daemon grass that umbrasynthesizes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

i81icu812 posted:

What the hell is going on

Noctis had to coccoon for a bit to fully absorb the power. Ardyn wanted him to do this for some reason but is also the bad guy because people were dicks after he saved the world (pairing with Noct's Christ analogies, Ardyn seems to have been essentially a Sin-Eater), so there was a mix of helping and being the bad guy along the way. So now we're a butterfly, Ardyn has had ten years of being Kefka in the World of Ruin, and we're going to go kick his rear end by holding O until he falls over. Except not because Time Dog is here to put a stop to any sort of pacing (it really feels like a bad compromise of open world vs story tunnel).

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

it's really bizarre that the most emotional performance by far we've gotten in this game is adult talcott randomly reflecting on his grandfathers death in the middle of a menu full of bullshit time skip exposition

having non-bland voice acting at any other point in the game probably would have been a good idea

I don't know, I still think Noctis was more emotional about the Assassin festival, but technically that's not in the main game I guess. But yeah, this NPC reflecting on another NPC's death in an optional conversation feels more impactful than your dad getting murdered, your girlfriend getting shanked, your friend going blind forever, your other friend secretly being a clone/robot/enemy trooper the entire time, any guilt you might have felt about throwing said friend off of a speeding train by mistake, the entire world being condemned to eternal darkness, or the realization that you're on a suicide mission. FFX did it better, as goofy as that game is at least TidusRusty had some emotional response to the poo poo going on around him.

final fantasy xv: a big fat chocobo turd of an idea

Squarely Circle fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 27, 2018

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Gruckles posted:

It's daemon grass that umbrasynthesizes.

Also the magic is apparently heating the world because 1 year without sunlight would make the whole planet an ice ball and a few years it would be cold enough that oxygen snow would be a thing and the short story A Pail of Air would be a thing.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

PhazonLink posted:

Also the magic is apparently heating the world because 1 year without sunlight would make the whole planet an ice ball and a few years it would be cold enough that oxygen snow would be a thing and the short story A Pail of Air would be a thing.

It takes a special talent to make a fantasy-modern world where none of the potential of which are explored in an interesting manner and what is left is baffling to the common sense.

Why can't it just be demons invading the land without the eternal night bullshit, but no wait we got to put yet another tryhard dramatic plot device because.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 27, 2018

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
10 years.

If anyone had asked me what was the laziest way to move forward, I still wouldn't have picked that.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'd claim that the whole impossible ten years of eternal darkness and the car ride of exposition is when the game obviously stops respecting the intelligence of the player, but to be fair I'm not sure that it ever did.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I went back to the last video because I couldn't remember why it was ten years later. That's how bad the plot is. And remembering didn't help anyway.

Another thing, if I was playing this, I would be loving furious about being thrown into the endgame like that. This is because when leaving the first continent you are told you will not be coming back "for a while" or something like that. Post-ending play is not the same as coming back at a later point and if that is what you mean you shouldn't loving imply the player can come back to finish sidequests later. Also because in my honest opinion, the side quests, however bad, is the best part of this game. Not because they are good but because the main plot is so much worse.

Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?
This is the part of FFXV where you can feel the cut content the most imo. The entire game feels cobbled together, yes, but only in this section is there a massive time skip, minimal explanation as to what you missed, and then you're sent straight to the end.

Bruceski posted:

I'm going to take the more cynical view and say the only reason it wasn't Cindy who picked you up in that truck was because when they were deciding which characters they would make new models for, they probably decided nobody wanted to see the girls aged up anyway. So both Cindy and Iris disappeared offscreen.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

The time skip is fine, you can see what happened if you play the Comrades multiplayer expansion.

In the expansion, Iris sells you clothes and make up, and cooks you food.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Kaasen posted:

I'm going to take the more cynical view and say the only reason it wasn't Cindy who picked you up in that truck was because when they were deciding which characters they would make new models for, they probably decided nobody wanted to see the girls aged up anyway. So both Cindy and Iris disappeared offscreen.

Seeing as how the boys are pretty much the exact same but with worse hair and some dirt on them I doubt this would've been to much work

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

coleman francis posted:

Pfshaw, everybody knows who the real King of Kings is:

https://twitter.com/EatWorkSleepDie/status/959565465248063489

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

aegof posted:

The time skip is fine, you can see what happened if you play the Comrades multiplayer expansion.

In the expansion, Iris sells you clothes and make up, and cooks you food.

Has anyone noticed how every time we ask what happened it's then revealed we need to pay more money for more DLC to see what happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?

aegof posted:

In what universe is it "fine" that a $60 price tag doesn't get you a complete story? (I'm mad at SE, by the way, not you.)

If the game withholds some characters only to entice you to buy DLC that's even worse than my "older women don't have the same sex appeal" theory.

• Locked thread