Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Fortis posted:

It’s pretty tough! His shield drops if you successfully counter him in any way; it will momentarily shut off if you successfully dodge into a flurry rush, giving you the opportunity to beat the poo poo out of him, and it will also shut off if you shield parry a laser back into his face. I’m not sure if the same thing happens if you parry a physical attack, but I bet it does.

I’m honestly not sure if the shield drops under any other circumstance. I remember that being a major issue in Master Mode for me.

.... Huh. Never knew most of that. When I fought Calamity Ganon I tried a ton of stuff in that phase, finally parried a laser back at him, and figured that was the only way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

He very briefly drops his shield at some point during each attack in that phase. I think that any attack during that moment, not just a counterattack, will do the trick. If you're having trouble with counters, you might try a bomb.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Backhand posted:

.... Huh. Never knew most of that. When I fought Calamity Ganon I tried a ton of stuff in that phase, finally parried a laser back at him, and figured that was the only way to do it.

Yeah this is what I thought when I first fought him, which I found weird because the game never forces you to even learn that you can parry lasers.

Then my buddy told me you can urbosas fury him :black101:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

thanks guys. good to know its just hard!! really his regen health, then walking around on the walls not doing anything except lobbing poo poo at me, is super annoying. i hate this guy!!!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The Calamity, Gannon: I hate this guy

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm at about 80 shrines completed and I think I'm starting to hit the point of being overpowered vs the main game (sort of).

By working through the shrines I've bumped up my heat/freeze armour to level 2 and I've been pushing my way through the major trials of strength successfully.

I've been avoiding the hinnoxs because they looked dangerous but after I accidentally activated one I made some pretty short work of it.

One of those minatour enemy types destroyed me earlier so I think I might be able to wreck him now too.

I've not done any of the bosses yet because I wanna tick off all of the shrines first and get to a point where I can trash the guardian enemies because they still mash me.

I'm kinda bit even going to consider collecting all the seeds as there's way too many of them. Is there any real benefit to trying to get them all? It's costing me 8 seeds per weapon slot now so the payoff isn't that great vs the effort.

Also is there a general set of armour I should focus on maxing out (or should I just do all of them?). Level 3 items seem to be taking a while to collect so I'm assuming level 4 will be annoying.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
You don't need all the seeds for anything other than completionism.

The only armors you really need to upgrade past 2 are ones you'll fight in, so your best defense armor and the attack up armor.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

The trick to both Lynels and Guardians is the shield parry (not the only trick, but one that trivializes the fight and doesn’t use a lot of weapon durability / arrows). Also, there are like 5 shrines you won’t be able to complete until you’ve beaten the divine beasts.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mastajake posted:

Also, there are like 5 shrines you won’t be able to complete until you’ve beaten the divine beasts.

Maybe I've just never run into this problem, but what specifically are you talking about here? Feel free to spoiler for the n00bs

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Bloop posted:

Maybe I've just never run into this problem, but what specifically are you talking about here? Feel free to spoiler for the n00bs

They rely on the beast being defeated to open up. For instance there's a sand seal race in the desert with a shrine reward you can only do after you beat Van Nabooris.

There are a few others that rely on post beast defeat story states to access.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zore posted:

They rely on the beast being defeated to open up. For instance there's a sand seal race in the desert with a shrine reward you can only do after you beat Van Nabooris.

There are a few others that rely on post beast defeat story states to access.

Oh like that. Yeah. Duh. brain fart!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In addition to those ones, all the shrines added in the Champions' Ballad DLC require that you've beaten all four Divine Beasts.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So the Master Cycle, a modern mario-kart motorcycle, appears in Mario kart 8.

Breath of the wild has the 5th divine beast, the master cycle zero dirtbike.

I wonder if there is going to be a Master cycle Neo Tri-X in the next F-zero or something.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I just found out that you can (Champion's Ballad spoilers) hang up the picture you get from Kass in your house. :3:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/aquatic_ambi/status/977724356875833345

HOLY poo poo THIS GAME

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

jfc :lol:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fortis posted:

I just found out that you can (Champion's Ballad spoilers) hang up the picture you get from Kass in your house. :3:
HOW?!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao this game

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Once you have the thing, go to your (complete, furnished) house and, I think, sleep in the bed.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lol

loooooooool

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

fukkin lol this person has a bunch of good ones

https://twitter.com/aquatic_ambi/status/975549907317608448

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
holy poo poo this ambi kid

https://twitter.com/aquatic_ambi/status/963968743821885440

lmaoooooooooooooo

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I want a BoTW Link figma already

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

lol this one is good too

https://twitter.com/aquatic_ambi/status/954535527088144390

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Never forget

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
https://twitter.com/aquatic_ambi/status/967594283787206656

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Holy gently caress, :lol:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Quick question: is there a cooking chart/guide anywhere that gives the amount of time each one adds to the final meal total? Monster ingredients, specifically? I saw a chart on Reddit once but can't seem to find it.

I know about adding a dragon horn to meals to make them last 30 minutes, I'm just curious about the elixer side of things or if there's a certain ingredient I should add to meals besides horns if I care about duration. I usually try to make elixers instead of meals if I care about length since meals tend to be fairly short outside of the horn trick, but maybe I'm just using the wrong stuff, who knows?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Some awesome goon (sorry, forgot who) made an app called Wild Cooking.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

That works perfectly, thanks!

It's really weird that drops from boss monsters work exactly the same as regular mobs for making elixers. I would think they'd at least make the elixer last longer or something but I guess there's really no use for them outside of gear upgrades or selling, which is kinda dumb considering how much rarer they are.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

They give more mon.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Did anyone ever make a compendium of all the places in previous games that show up in BotW?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

mastajake posted:

Some awesome goon (sorry, forgot who) made an app called Wild Cooking.

Wild Cook? That one is in German and I can't seem to change the language.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cooking of the wild

I think that was the name. Android only if I recall?

E: looks like the app is gone. Try this maybe? It seems to accomplish the same thing: https://guideofthewild.com

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 28, 2018

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Cooking of the wild

I think that was the name. Android only if I recall?

Oh boo

Any iOS recommendations?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

See my edit above

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jamesmcnee.com.botwfoodhelper

This one is pretty good for android.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Did anyone ever make a compendium of all the places in previous games that show up in BotW?

This is a good start: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/04/video_weve_found_66_references_to_classic_zelda_games_in_breath_of_the_wild

Also this is fun to ponder: https://www.reddit.com/r/zelda/comments/6708ey/botw_big_list_of_music_references/?st=jfb0q1rr&sh=ad844ef0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm still not convinced you're an alt I post as when I'm really drunk.