Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

And use of KISS' best song*, no less.

*I know what I said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
This is the second New Mutants delay, right? That is pretty worrying.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

if they delay it any further they'll be old mutants!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Zak Penn, whose most recent script is the adaptation of Ready Player One, is adapting ROM for Hasbro.

http://deadline.com/2018/03/rom-spaceknight-zak-penn-ready-player-one-hasbro-paramount-pictures-1202353366/

Just don't expect most thing from the Marvel Comics to make its way into the movie, as Hasbro does not have the rights to those.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The MSJ posted:

Zak Penn, whose most recent script is the adaptation of Ready Player One, is adapting ROM for Hasbro.

http://deadline.com/2018/03/rom-spaceknight-zak-penn-ready-player-one-hasbro-paramount-pictures-1202353366/

Just don't expect most thing from the Marvel Comics to make its way into the movie, as Hasbro does not have the rights to those.

Yeah, Hasbro just had ROM, Marvel still has Galador, Dire Wraiths and the actual Space Knights.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DC Murderverse posted:

my money is on Aquaman because i feel like it's probably been done for like a year now

It wrapped in October but is currently undergoing re-shoots, and James Wan went to Twitter the other day and said the reason there's been no teaser or trailer yet is because the effects work isn't even remotely close to being ready to show.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How hard could it be? Nintendo mastered photorealistic real time water physics in Waverace 64 22 years ago

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Timby posted:

It wrapped in October but is currently undergoing re-shoots, and James Wan went to Twitter the other day and said the reason there's been no teaser or trailer yet is because the effects work isn't even remotely close to being ready to show.

Do you know if these are scheduled expected re-shoots or Warner Bros. is not very smart re-shoots?

The MSJ posted:

I haven't seen any Transformers movies since the second one came out, didn't Age of Extinction and The Last Knight both at first begin production as some weird attempt to fit Rom into the Transformers movies? What was the deal with that?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Mar 27, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

Do you know if these are scheduled expected re-shoots or Warner Bros. is not very smart re-shoots?

Not sure; the first indication anyone got that they were even happening was Dolph Lundgren posting a now-deleted Instagram post that he was splitting time between the Creed 2 set and doing more work as King Nereus on Aquaman.

quote:

I haven't seen any Transformers movies since the second one came out, didn't Age of Extinction and The Last Knight both at first begin production as some weird attempt to fit Rom into the Transformers movies? What was the deal with that?

Age of Extinction, no, that was basically a "soft reboot" of the series. Transformers 5 originally started development as the launchpoint of a larger cinematic universe, but then Paramount yanked Akiva Goldsman away to have him combine Transformers, GI Joe, Micronauts and whatever else into an even bigger universe, so they went to the guys who wrote the first Iron Man to develop The Last Knight.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:lol::lol: Dark Phoenix has been pushed back to February.

But at least New Mutants has been given a more confidence-inspiring date of August.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hey now, February used to be where they dumped weird movies they were contractually obliged to release but didn't want to have them anywhere near their tentpole features because they suspected would bomb and didn't want their stink to rub off on their surefire moneymakers (eg: Ghost Rider, Norbit, Zoolander 2, Gods of Egypt, Jupiter Ascending, Dark Skies, etc etc) but these last few years it's given us 'viral' smash hits like Deadpool, Get Out and Black Panther. Clearly they think they've got a quirky niche appeal flick that'll hit just the right tone with just the right audience and blow up with glowing word of mouth LOL nah they're clearly doing a dump & run.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Hey now, February used to be where they dumped weird movies they were contractually obliged to release but didn't want to have them anywhere near their tentpole features because they suspected would bomb and didn't want their stink to rub off on their surefire moneymakers (eg: Ghost Rider, Norbit, Zoolander 2, Gods of Egypt, Jupiter Ascending, Dark Skies, etc etc) but these last few years it's given us 'viral' smash hits like Deadpool, Get Out and Black Panther. Clearly they think they've got a quirky niche appeal flick that'll hit just the right tone with just the right audience and blow up with glowing word of mouth LOL nah they're clearly doing a dump & run.

I imagine a bunch of Fox executives just sobered up after a six-month bender and watched some footage or something, and there was a collective moment of "oh, poo poo, did we really give a $180 million tentpole to a guy who's never directed anything in his life and has written some of the worst poo poo of the franchise?"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Timby posted:

I imagine a bunch of Fox executives just sobered up after a six-month bender and watched some footage or something, and there was a collective moment of "oh, poo poo, did we really give a $180 million tentpole to a guy who's never directed anything in his life and has written some of the worst poo poo of the franchise?"

"Okay Simon, explain to us how this "Dark Phoenix" things works again."
"Well you know Jean Grey, that character that died in X-Men: The Last Stand??"
"Yeah ...."
"Well what if she was back, but she was evil?"
"Like what Snyder wanted to do with Superman in Justice League before he got kicked out?"
"Well yes but .."
"SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

I think that was just speculation based on the "Knight" in the title and the logo design.

What did happen was at one point Transformers 5 was going to include Beast Wars elements, based on these concept arts:

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

feedmyleg posted:

:lol::lol: Dark Phoenix has been pushed back to February.

But at least New Mutants has been given a more confidence-inspiring date of August.

:lol:, I hated Apocalypse so much that this makes me happy. I'm hoping whatever happens with Disney and Marvel Studios, that a hard reset happens with X-Men at some point.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
There is no more than an infinitesimal chance that Marvel will keep any of the Fox X-cast or continuity, besides maybe Deadpool.

But yeah, I’m a lot more excited to see the franchise get a long-overdue total reboot than I am to see Wolverine meeting the Avengers or what have you.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Just read the plot summary for Dark Phoenix on IMDB:

quote:

Jean Grey begins to develop incredible powers that corrupt and turn her into a Dark Phoenix. Now the X-Men will have to decide if the life of a team member is worth more than all the people living in the world.

Gonna guess that the X-Men won't sacrifice all the people living in the world.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Barry Convex posted:

Do you like Fox Marvel release delays? Have some more.

https://twitter.com/theinsneider/status/978500297944326145?s=21
New Mutants is delayed EVEN MORE? Don't we already have a trailer for New Mutants? Are they just re-filming the whole thing?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Crows Turn Off posted:

New Mutants is delayed EVEN MORE? Don't we already have a trailer for New Mutants? Are they just re-filming the whole thing?

By the time it comes out they'll have to change the title to Old Mutants.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
At this point Dark Phoenix will be the 8th? film in this continuity. How many of those are good? I’d say three?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

By the time it comes out they'll have to change the title to Old Mutants.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mordiceius posted:

At this point Dark Phoenix will be the 8th? film in this continuity. How many of those are good? I’d say three?

Yeah, I would go with DOFP, First Class and X-Men 2.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The first X-Men almost qualifies, and of course there's Logan. I'll still go to bat for most of The Wolverine, too.

But holy moly, when those movies are bad, they're aggressively bad.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I'd take either of Deadpool or Logan over First Class. Michael Fassbender is great, of course, but the titular first class kinda blows.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Timby posted:

The first X-Men almost qualifies, and of course there's Logan. I'll still go to bat for most of The Wolverine, too.

But holy moly, when those movies are bad, they're aggressively bad.

Oh poo poo. I forgot about Logan and The Wolverine. Oh gently caress. And Deadpool. That should actually make 10 films, right?

X-Men
X-Men 2
X-Men 3
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
First Class
The Wolverine
Days of Future Past
Apocalypse
Deadpool
Logan

Deadpool wasn't really for me, but it wasn't a bad film. But woof, there are some bad loving movies in that list.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Crows Turn Off posted:

16 month delay.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

16 month delay.

It was said that the re-shoots included adding an entirely new character to the movie, so they aren't insubstantial.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The actual First Class are a bunch of bums and losers. The side characters in the film, like Toad, steal the show.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The actual First Class are a bunch of bums and losers. The side characters in the film, like Toad, steal the show.

Toad isn't in First Class. But, yeah, definitely want that movie about Toad getting recruited out of that diner in Days of Future Past like Dennis Haysbert in Heat.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I'd say the only truly bad X-Men films are 3 and Origins. Apocalypse is stupid but it still has good stuff in it including the best Quicksilver scene.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

corn in the bible posted:

I'd say the only truly bad X-Men films are 3 and Origins. Apocalypse is stupid but it still has good stuff in it including the best Quicksilver scene.

The Quicksilver scene is just kind of a rehash of the one from DoFP, though. I honestly can barely remember Apocalypse outside of Oscar Isaac being utterly wasted. I think Fassbender ripped all the metal out of the planet or some poo poo?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sir Kodiak posted:

Toad isn't in First Class. But, yeah, definitely want that movie about Toad getting recruited out of that diner in Days of Future Past like Dennis Haysbert in Heat.

Sorry yes, I'm thinking of DOFP.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Timby posted:

The Quicksilver scene is just kind of a rehash of the one from DoFP, though. I honestly can barely remember Apocalypse outside of Oscar Isaac being utterly wasted. I think Fassbender ripped all the metal out of the planet or some poo poo?

It's lame, though I'd say basically every Marvel movie is equally lame. Oh no, evil cgi man with laser plot!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

feedmyleg posted:

16 month delay.

Gambit was officially announced in 2014 with an October 2016 release date. :v:

Channing Tatum was originally cast in the role way back in 2006 for X-Men: The Last Stand but was written out, then he was supposed to have a cameo in X-Men Origins: Wolverine in 2009 but had scheduling problems.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Apocalypse is hilariously violent for being PG-13.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Channing Tatum was originally cast in the role way back in 2006 for X-Men: The Last Stand but was written out, then he was supposed to have a cameo in X-Men Origins: Wolverine in 2009 but had scheduling problems.

At this point they should really wait for Marvel to have the rights before making a Gambit spinoff.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Maybe this is old news but I feel like posting it anyway. I just watched Iron Man again last night for no particular reason and decided to read a lil bit about it just out of curiosity. I was very surprised to learn that Iron Man didn't have a script and that the actors improv'd all their scenes. That seriously blows me away. Jeff Bridges is a goddamn genius. Downey is a goddamn genius. There's so many good lines in that movie and the idea that nobody wrote them is just fuckin' mindblowing.

Makes me wonder how the process was. Did they just have general bullet points? How the heck did they decide on the story structure without dialogue? Up til now I always imagined that a screenplay is the first step. Jeff Bridges said he would start a scene not knowing what he was going to say. Did every scene have like a million takes and they just went with the best one? I'm also super curious how they got into character, and what that process was like.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Renoistic posted:

Apocalypse is hilariously violent for being PG-13.
Kong: Skull Island was more violent. Not that I care. Too many moves are rated R that should actually be rated PG-13 anyway.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Wasn't a bunch of the dialog being penned by Shane Black, uncredited?

Yeah, but that's common for movies in pre-production. They actually shot New Mutants and released a trailer before the delay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Maybe this is old news but I feel like posting it anyway. I just watched Iron Man again last night for no particular reason and decided to read a lil bit about it just out of curiosity. I was very surprised to learn that Iron Man didn't have a script and that the actors improv'd all their scenes. That seriously blows me away. Jeff Bridges is a goddamn genius. Downey is a goddamn genius. There's so many good lines in that movie and the idea that nobody wrote them is just fuckin' mindblowing.

Makes me wonder how the process was. Did they just have general bullet points? How the heck did they decide on the story structure without dialogue? Up til now I always imagined that a screenplay is the first step. Jeff Bridges said he would start a scene not knowing what he was going to say. Did every scene have like a million takes and they just went with the best one? I'm also super curious how they got into character, and what that process was like.

They had a script (it got Marcum and Holloway the job of writing Punisher War Zone), but it was an extremely rough draft that no one was genuinely happy with and was missing a lot of character beats. Favreau's background, going back to Swingers, was in improvisation, so he let RDJ and Bridges wing it if they felt they could do something better.