Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Melt down the guns and turn them into a huge gun. A highlander gun. One gun to rule them all.

I have long term aspirations of buying functional weapons and then melting them into bizarre sculptures spelling out leftist memes. I believe that this would be triggering to people I would enjoy triggering. I've finally got the space to take on a project of this nature, stay tuned in ~2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

QuarkJets posted:

Sure, gun control measures that are found to not be effective after sufficient time and study should be repealed. The problem with that though is that the gun control measures that have been studied have in the vast majority of cases accomplished their goals.

"Having failed to adequately balance intrusion on individual rights against public safety" is a too subjective criterion. Literally any restriction or impediment is an intrusion on individual rights, but most people agree that that's okay when it comes to all sorts of poo poo (e.g. you're not allowed to arm yourself with canisters of nerve gas) so it's really just up to society to decide where the line should be drawn. If most people want to raise the age at which you can buy a gun to 21 then that's fine with me because it's not something that I care about, but a hardliner might say that that's going too far. Who gets to judge?
Everyone does? Like the same people who get to judge whether a measure has been "effective" and what a "sufficient time" is to make such a judgement. How is that a question? I can understand not wanting to use a criterion or not having an opinion on a criterion, but thinking criteria is a class of objects that can be denied to people is bizarre.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I have long term aspirations of buying functional weapons and then melting them into bizarre sculptures spelling out leftist memes. I believe that this would be triggering to people I would enjoy triggering. I've finally got the space to take on a project of this nature, stay tuned in ~2022
You and every police department in America

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Ahaha as if people who actually allowed slavery to continue were any authority on what constitutes a right
Need I remind you that these people also defended private property as a right lmaooo

(also there is nothing in this cherry-picked collection of quotes by long-dead aristocrats that supports the private ownership of guns by anyone without restriction for any of the insane purposes trotted out by gun nuts sooooo...)

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Supreme Court says there is so there is.

That's how rights work.

Unless you're a god bothering weirdo.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rent-A-Cop posted:

That's how rights work.

supreme court says the freedom of negroes must be forbidden on grounds the founders couldn't possibly have wanted them to have the vote

it turns out that's not how rights work

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

That's how rights work.

Let’s hope that Ginsburg and Breyer don’t croak within the next... *checks watch* let’s say, six months, or the number of rights is gonna plummet!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That sure is a lot of words about the militia.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Ze Pollack posted:

supreme court says the freedom of negroes must be forbidden on grounds the founders couldn't possibly have wanted them to have the vote

it turns out that's not how rights work
Posted from 1861 via time machine

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Admiral Bosch posted:

an anime hurting his feelings

it is good, to me, that a man with access to the ability to murder hundreds of people on a whim, is driven into a frothing rage, by someone with an anime avatar saying something on social media, and teenagers who would like not to be murdered

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Posted from 1861 via time machine

still does, my man. supreme court ruling opinion, never invalidated. black people must not be given freedom, because then we'd have to give them a vote.

it turns out that's not how rights work. damndest thing

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Ze Pollack posted:

still does, my man. supreme court ruling opinion, never invalidated. black people must not be given freedom, because then we'd have to give them a vote.

it turns out that's not how rights work. damndest thing
Posting from a universe where the 13th Amendment doesn't exist.

Where do rights come from if not the legal system?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Posting from a universe where the 13th Amendment doesn't exist.

almost like the supreme court doesn't decide what rights are

cool huh

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Ze Pollack posted:

almost like the supreme court doesn't decide what rights are

cool huh
Oh hey it turns out the the Supreme Court says that the constitution says there's an individual right to firearms and unless you got a higher arbiter of constitutional rights your opinion is dumb and also wrong and also bad.

Or more likely as I suspect you are posting from 1861. If so please bring me some of the guns from then because they are worth a lot of money now thanks in advance.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Oh hey it turns out the the Supreme Court says that the constitution says there's an individual right to firearms and unless you got a higher arbiter of constitutional rights your opinion is dumb and also wrong and also bad.

Or more likely as I suspect you are posting from 1861. If so please bring me some of the guns from then because they are worth a lot of money now thanks in advance.

if you have a higher arbiter than the opinions of Roger Taney, Right, Honorable Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, i would like to hear about it.

as we all know, after all, his decision in Dredd Scott solved the issue of a lot of people wanting not to be enslaved, precisely as he wished to solve it, forever.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

as if rights were dependent on a constitution to exist

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Flowers For Algeria posted:

as if rights were dependent on a constitution to exist
Here comes the weird argument that rights spring fully formed from Jesus's head or Gaia or whatever.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Here comes the weird argument that rights spring fully formed from Jesus's head or Gaia or whatever.

as ably dismissed by the Hon. Taney, in establishing that there was no right to freedom for slaves, yes

some people did not buy it, but hey, there's always a couple of retrograde slave-grabbers out there

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

A thread in which Ze Pollack objects to not just one legal system but the concept of legal systems in general.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Karl Marx, actually.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Ze Pollack posted:

it is good, to me, that a man with access to the ability to murder hundreds of people on a whim, is driven into a frothing rage, by someone with an anime avatar saying something on social media, and teenagers who would like not to be murdered

yeah you're right i'm the one in a frothing rage over here lol

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Karl Marx, actually.
Oh no my rights have been violated should I write a letter to Karl Marx or perhaps should I call the ACLU and sue somebody.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rent-A-Cop posted:

A thread in which Ze Pollack objects to not just one legal system but the concept of legal systems in general.

from where did the idea that slaves had a right to freedom come, friend.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Admiral Bosch posted:

yeah you're right i'm the one in a frothing rage over here lol

somewhere, a person with an anime avatar has an opinion that scares you

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Oh no my rights have been violated should I write a letter to Karl Marx or perhaps should I call the ACLU and sue somebody.

*Rent-A-Cop bleeding out, having been shot*

"But this piece of paper says I have a right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness!"

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

No actually you should join the proletariat and rise up against the bourgeoisie and the liberals, using weapons within the framework of a proletarian guard under the authority of revolutionary local councils.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

No actually you should join the proletariat and rise up against the bourgeoisie and the liberals, using weapons within the framework of a proletarian guard under the authority of revolutionary local councils.
Sounds good, where do I sign up?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Sounds good, where do I sign up?

Start recruiting people in your workplace and in your neighborhood, dude, it’s not that hard

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

No, you shut up.
Quoting is funny because there's this thing called "context" why the gently caress do you think these men felt the need to utter these words? Because they were addressing an argument before them. People were telling them the opposite and they felt the need to disagree.
It's then doubly funny that you quote Thomas Jefferson like he wasn't some political hack willing to drop any and all beliefs at the drop of the hat for political expediency. If you don't believe me there's this parcel of land called Louisiana I'd like to sell you.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

WampaLord posted:

*Rent-A-Cop bleeding out, having been shot*

"But this piece of paper says I have a right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness!"
This, but unironically.
If it weren't for the piece of paper saying so, his shooter would not be arrested and imprisioned.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

This, but unironically.
If it weren't for the piece of paper saying so, his shooter would not be arrested and imprisioned.
No rights spring forth eternally from nature so if you're shot talk to a tree.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rent-A-Cop posted:

No rights spring forth eternally from nature so if you're shot talk to a tree.

where did the idea that slaves had the right to freedom come from, friend.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Ze Pollack posted:

where did the idea that slaves had the right to freedom come from, friend.
Quakers, mostly.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Quakers, mostly.

what kind of piece of paper is "quaker"

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Ze Pollack posted:

what kind of piece of paper is "quaker"
You said idea.

The actual right came from a big 'ol war.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rent-A-Cop posted:

You said idea.

The actual right came from a big 'ol war.

where did that big 'ol war come from, friend.

after all. the supreme court had resolved the question.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Ze Pollack posted:

Have u tried reading a book? Or would you prefer I teach you 6th grade civics one question at a time?

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Ze Pollack posted:

john brown ignited the civil war, using badass guns and weapons

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Dog Jones posted:

john brown ignited the civil war, using badass guns and weapons
JB is bae

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Absolutely, absolutely... you know, Brown was commonly portrayed as insane back then... and I think even Abraham Lincoln said he was crazy... and yet he seems like he was one of the most sane people in america to me in retrospect... his attack led directly to the emancipation proclamation... thank god he had access to some bad rear end weapons and big blasters ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beecher%27s_Bibles )...

• Locked thread