Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Antivehicular posted:

This conversation has pushed me from "hmmm, Flying Circus looks interesting but I'm not all that into tactical dogfighting, I'll think about it" to a project backer. I'm going to go read through the playbook previews now.

Yeah, exactly. Exactly this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The best part of RPGs for me has always been developing something that exists outside the combat mechanics. It gives you something to nurture, and to fight for instead of just murderhoboing. That's where the lasting memories come from.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Father Wendigo posted:

Can anyone who late-backed Human Interface: Be a Better Human and lives in the states tell me what to expect with regards to fulfillment?

what do you mean what to expect? its late as per usual, theyve been pretty vague about when theyre going to start shipping, but im thinking sometime during the summer

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Antivehicular posted:

This conversation has pushed me from "hmmm, Flying Circus looks interesting but I'm not all that into tactical dogfighting, I'll think about it" to a project backer. I'm going to go read through the playbook previews now.

At least one of the stretch goals is for a bit more traditional of a milieu where not everyone is a pilot in their own plane. Just a crew member on their shared blimp.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

theironjef posted:

At least one of the stretch goals is for a bit more traditional of a milieu where not everyone is a pilot in their own plane. Just a crew member on their shared blimp.

Well, my concern was less with the plane stuff and more with whether there'd be something juicy to do outside of the tactical stuff; I respect that "tactical combat engine with narrative loosely attached" is a lot of people's preferred gaming form, but it's not really to my taste, especially in PbtA. I'm glad to hear, and to read firsthand now that I've backed, that there's plenty of noncombat substance in the game.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Well, then, quoting a link to Flying Circus since it took me 10 pages of searching to actually find it, and I want a handy link to read it when I'm not about to go to bed, given all the discussion here.

potatocubed posted:

Erika Chappell has just launched the Kickstarter for Flying Circus, an industrial-fantasy PbtA game of dogfighting dragons in biplanes in the air, and living large and making terrible decisions on the ground.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

theironjef posted:

I'm eager for magical girls who summon fighter planes

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Antivehicular posted:

:same:

I'm about to get my group to (hopefully) try out Legacy soon. One of my friend's loves WWI dogfighting so hopefully he'll want to play this as well.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Guy Goodbody posted:

Here's the Hellboy from Mantic's upcoming Hellboy game

I'm playtesting this game for Mantic atm, and it's pretty cool. Can't say too much because NDAs, but I got to handle the mini itself at the most recent playtest day. I've got to say, I don't think this paintjob does it justice - it's a great mini, and more detailed than you might think from this paint job.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
What point of the Hellboy series is it set? Or does it sort of cover all of it?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Forum search doesn't seem to be working on my phone and i didn't see it discussed on the past few pages so:

Does anyone have an opinion on Pacific Rim Extinction? I'm a sucker for the franchise i'll admit but what they've shown of the rules so far seems a bit simplistic.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Cassa posted:

What point of the Hellboy series is it set? Or does it sort of cover all of it?

It seems to be more of a "general impression" of the entire run, where the most applicable and fun things are being drawn out from each arc. Which honestly, is fine with me. It has the characters you'll recognise most, and it plays out in the way that feels most iconic to the comics IMO. It's definitely not the film versions though, even if I think a little bit of that aesthetic has occasionally crept in.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Dead in the West has reached 25% funding!

For the first few days, that's pretty good! Thanks to everyone in this thread who contributed (and I know it was a couple of ya). If you haven't checked it out yet, please give it a look. The FAQ is filling up and there are a couple updates now.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Bistromatic posted:

Forum search doesn't seem to be working on my phone and i didn't see it discussed on the past few pages so:

Does anyone have an opinion on Pacific Rim Extinction? I'm a sucker for the franchise i'll admit but what they've shown of the rules so far seems a bit simplistic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npBDojur3QM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyaZaqmBde8

Seems okay, but a really dumbed down version of a wargaming set up.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's a shame the miniatures are painted

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's a shame the miniatures are painted

That's how I feel with the upcoming Street Fighter miniature game. I just want to paint the figures without having to strip the paint off. :smith:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I repaint x-wing minis all the time. If it's the typical type of plastic used for games you can often just paint right on top, but sometimes you'll have to clean and prime first.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

kinkouin posted:

Seems okay, but a really dumbed down version of a wargaming set up.
That's exactly my worry. It looks a bit like x-wing which was a pretty good game last time i played it but i don't know if it has enough depth and lasting appeal to justify the price tag to myself.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Bistromatic posted:

That's exactly my worry. It looks a bit like x-wing which was a pretty good game last time i played it but i don't know if it has enough depth and lasting appeal to justify the price tag to myself.

I felt it didn't really have the depth that X-Wing does, but it plays similar enough. The only real difference I see is the lack of firing arcs, replaced by "Pivotting".

Makes sense, as you're big stompy ~ things ~ and you're trying to go ham on each other, not tiny spaceships that can fly around people and do crazy maneuvers.

The other thing I didn't like is the dual resource management thing. Everyone has two resources, but they do different things for different people. While it's simple enough to pick up, it feels like a poor attempt at introducing depth for strategic purposes.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Here’s more info on the Street Fighter KS. Going to be a tough April - have to decide between Street Fighter, Hellboy, Zombicide, and Dinosaur Island.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018/mar/21/street-fighter-miniatures-game-details-revealed-will-launch-their-kickstarter-april/

$80 will net you the base miniatures game on Kickstarter while backers who spend $120 will receive the base game, the boss expansion and stretch goal characters. $280 gets you everything listed before plus character expansions for Street Fighter Alpha, 3, 4 and 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuijVHlOpJA

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Anyone have thoughts on Mysthea ? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tabulagames/mysthea

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

For those who missed it the first time around, the new Torg Eternity KS lets you get the stuff from the original core KS.

Believe it or not, Torg Eternity is actually good.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Dragon-Blooded is up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/dragon-blooded-what-fire-has-wrought-for-exalted-3

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

What the hell is with all these Kickstarter exclusive games?

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

GrandpaPants posted:

What the hell is with all these Kickstarter exclusive games?

I guess its low risk but it also means nobody outside of backers gets to play your game?

Check out our previous games that you can't buy!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Here’s more info on the Street Fighter KS. Going to be a tough April - have to decide between Street Fighter, Hellboy, Zombicide, and Dinosaur Island.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018/mar/21/street-fighter-miniatures-game-details-revealed-will-launch-their-kickstarter-april/

$80 will net you the base miniatures game on Kickstarter while backers who spend $120 will receive the base game, the boss expansion and stretch goal characters. $280 gets you everything listed before plus character expansions for Street Fighter Alpha, 3, 4 and 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuijVHlOpJA

Don't get Street Fighter. Don't support Jasco games. They are poo poo. Hellboy will probably be good.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Heeeeeere's more Exalted!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/dragon-blooded-what-fire-has-wrought-for-exalted-3

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

I guess its low risk but it also means nobody outside of backers gets to play your game?

Check out our previous games that you can't buy!
It's better than exclusive expansions. This way it's just a limited print run game that you have to buy second-hand, but at least you'll get the whole thing when you do buy it.

probably.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I ended up dropping out. Even with an Early Bird slot, it was too much money (like $120 after shipping) and they have these grandiose plans of launching another KS-Exclusive game that will then combine all pieces of both games to make a 3rd game.

It's just too over the top of a concept and too expensive for me.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Just gonna say that I'm really digging Flying Circus, especially the Airborn and all of the work that has gone into crafting an inclusive game that also recognizes the struggles and issues of the real world.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

JazzFlight posted:

I ended up dropping out. Even with an Early Bird slot, it was too much money (like $120 after shipping) and they have these grandiose plans of launching another KS-Exclusive game that will then combine all pieces of both games to make a 3rd game.

It's just too over the top of a concept and too expensive for me.

Yeah, the game seems neat but the price tag is making me second guess it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

S.J. posted:

Don't get Street Fighter. Don't support Jasco games. They are poo poo. Hellboy will probably be good.

Yeah, I'd have a heavy dose of skepticism after how Mega Man: The Board Game turned out. It also seems weird, I guess miniatures might be handy for doing the 3-on-3 brawls the game seems to be based around, but it still feels to me like a franchise that doesn't play to any of the strengths of a miniatures game.

Minimum $110 for a physical copy of a supplement, huh? That's... oof. Even for a fancy deluxe edition, that's a big ask.

I'm surprised that they're going for the foil edging again after what a pain it seemed to be to produce the first time, as well as the general mess it leaves around when opening the book.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, I'd have a heavy dose of skepticism after how Mega Man: The Board Game turned out. It also seems weird, I guess miniatures might be handy for doing the 3-on-3 brawls the game seems to be based around, but it still feels to me like a franchise that doesn't play to any of the strengths of a miniatures game.

I ended up getting traded a copy of the Mega Man game.

The minis are cool as gently caress but I agree, the game concept falls flat pretty fast.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

They managed to turn Mega Man into Munchkin and I have no loving clue how they did it

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

The Mega Man and Dark Souls boardgames have taught me a lesson about buying branded boardgames.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Now I regret not backing that knock-off Street Fighter boardgame since I recall you could just pledge to get their figures.

Whatever did happen with that Kickstarter?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Zurui posted:

Just gonna say that I'm really digging Flying Circus, especially the Airborn and all of the work that has gone into crafting an inclusive game that also recognizes the struggles and issues of the real world.

Yeah, I'm really appreciating how thoughtful it is, both about general playbook design/niche development (hard to tell without the finished playbooks in hand, but it already looks much more carefully designed than most PbtA) and about real-world issues. I tend to cringe at fantasy Roma because they're almost always godawful stereotype wads, but the Airborn look like a really good way to integrate the real people's lives and struggles into a fantasy game.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

S.J. posted:

Don't get Street Fighter. Don't support Jasco games. They are poo poo.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, I'd have a heavy dose of skepticism after how Mega Man: The Board Game turned out.

There's a degree of separation that should be considered though when it comes to publisher vs designer, though. Say what you will about Jasco's handling of the actual Mega Man KS campaign (IE, it was super late is basically all I know from it), but the game quality rests pretty heavily on the designers (and maybe a small bit of ownership on the part of the publisher in the sense that it reflects their taste/sensibilities). As for "they are poo poo", i'm not sure if there's any other issues people have with them beyond the mediocrity that is Mega Man, so feel free to elaborate on that vitriol if there's more.

Street Fighter isn't from the same guys who did Mega Man, but they are first-time board game designers, so who knows. I'm a big fan of the brand and the stuff they've shown look pretty stellar, but I haven't heard much at all about actual game play; just watched Joe's public pitch video in which his enthusiasm certainly shines through if nothing else. So I'm sitting cautiously optimistic on the fence, hoping the game actually looks playable.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Now I regret not backing that knock-off Street Fighter boardgame since I recall you could just pledge to get their figures.

Whatever did happen with that Kickstarter?

if you mean street masters, the ships carrying the games are scheduled to dock this week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm surprised they made it through production. Most of the art wasn't even trying to hide it was copy pasted from SF/MK.