Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GotLag posted:

What can I call this civic? The mod above calls it "AI Integration" which is kinda lame, but my working name ("Machine Caretaker") is also boring as gently caress. What can I call this civic?
Organist.

darthbob88 posted:

Same. I can accept that sufficiently skilled labor is going to be a bit scarce, but I control most of the galaxy, you'd think that there would be enough people to build two whole Dyson spheres. Make it follow the same sort of scaling as Titans, 1 megastructure per 2-3-400 fleet power, or maybe 1 per 400 pops. Just something so I don't have to wait for one ringworld section to finish building before I start another.
It's supposed to be of most benefit to smaller empires, so scaling it based on pop would push it back toward bigger empires. Making multibuilding one of the benefits of Master Builders could work.

Blorange posted:

Habitats had to be nerfed, it was trivial to create an infinite spiral of energy and minerals with resource replicators. The only limiting factor in building more habitats was the micro involved.
Yeah, attention as the limiter on a resource cycle in a skirmish RTS is fine and good, but boredom being the limiter on the same in an empire builder means something needs to be fixed. I'd prefer something a bit more elegant than a big influence cost though. I think part of the problem is there's no such thing as a good or bad place for a habitat. If there were then there'd be a soft incentive to stop once you'd built all the "good ones".

Maybe take a page out of stations with their location-specific buildings+, or guilli's mods with their orbital effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Dang you'd figure there'd be some extra benefit to invading and controlling or using a colossus on an enemy homeworld. Some morale thing.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Xenaero posted:

Dang you'd figure there'd be some extra benefit to invading and controlling or using a colossus on an enemy homeworld. Some morale thing.

There's an achievement for cracking someone's homeworld, at least.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
With the ascension perk freeup from ring i wanted colossus, but none of them seem to say "devouring swarm"

I'm not really sure what would work to do that beyond 'instantly converts the populace to food' which is just not useful with the 5k cap on food. After an absorption war you're usually rolling in it anyway

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

CitizenKain posted:

I swept a pair of planets on a race, and it turns out not only do they not like it, everyone else is kinda upset about it too. I mean, is that really all that worse then my current system of bombing the planet for a long time, invading it and then forcing everyone off.

At first I wanted to just take care of the situation all in one go, since against Fanatical Purifiers you get am unlimited war and immediately take whatever you occupy but then I was interested in seeing if I could break anything by getting their opinion at -9999 or lower.

Had two main problems through; one being that after jumping most if my fleet through a wormhole to the center of their territory and absolutely wrecking ~170k fleet power in one go their war exhaustion shot up to 40%. By the time I reached the first world I wanted it was up to 95%. And at almost a year to fire the colussus I wouldn't be able to keep the war going long enough. And second was every non-xenophobe in the galaxy was steadily getting more and more pissed off at me and I didn't feel like fighting them all at once even with a fleet that probably rivaled all of theirs combined.

Still, was fun for a while. But other than trolling people who have no hope of resisting you anyway I don't see the point of it. Good ol' occupy and displace method would've also worked here.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

kujeger posted:

There's an achievement for cracking someone's homeworld, at least.

It's also deeply satisfying to take obliterate that one empire's worlds. In the final titanic struggle against those bloody starfish, my magnificent bastard peacocks cracked every single one of their worlds. Now the western half of the galaxy produces the mineral surplus to build gateways everywhere.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Just got my first victory, as a UNE federation. You remind me, for my next playthrough, I want to play as a bunch of assholes, so I'm brainstorming a concept.

A police state/meritocracy empire of authoritarian xenophobe militarists.

What should they look like? I'm thinking maybe crab people or big lizards, but ironic cuteness could work too.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

William Bear posted:

Just got my first victory, as a UNE federation. You remind me, for my next playthrough, I want to play as a bunch of assholes, so I'm brainstorming a concept.

A police state/meritocracy empire of authoritarian xenophobe militarists.

What should they look like? I'm thinking maybe crab people or big lizards, but ironic cuteness could work too.

honestly the bloodthirsty happy starfish are the best so do that

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/64o8no/adorable/

I usually play some version of fanatic spiritualists or materialists and this flip around to a devouring swarm was great so heartily endorse doing the opposite of what you normally make

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

How would you guys build a slaving, spiritualist empire?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Sloober posted:

honestly the bloodthirsty happy starfish are the best so do that

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/64o8no/adorable/

I usually play some version of fanatic spiritualists or materialists and this flip around to a devouring swarm was great so heartily endorse doing the opposite of what you normally make

The starfish are easily the best of the cuties pack and it's not even a contest.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

canepazzo posted:

On the backs of the infidels, of course.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Autonomous Monster posted:

The starfish are easily the best of the cuties pack and it's not even a contest.

Wrong.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canepazzo posted:

Probably Fanatic Authoritarian, Spiritualist

Syncretic Evolution for Strong/Resilient thralls
Main race would be something +research +unity, to represent a learned priesthood as leaders.

If you're wanting to RP rather than go for pure power, taking the Barbaric Despoilers civic is a lot of fun. Abduct more thralls! (You can also spend a perk on Nihilistic Acquisition). However, those are both rather weak choices, from a min/max perspective.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

ConfusedUs posted:

Main race would be something +research +unity, to represent a learned priesthood as leaders.

This is basically what I've been playing lately, but with spiritualist replaced with militarist. With one race good at hauling rocks and punching people and the other at generating income and research, with some leadership modifiers tossed in as well. Usually go down the biological ascension line as well to engineer them into living gods.

Spiritualist helps with ethics attraction and happiness but I have never had an issue getting people to 100% happiness by the midgme and the recent changes to the ethics of slaves makes it even easier to push everyone into the authoritarian faction with minimal suppression.

It's kind of like Planet of the Apes because I am super original like that.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/978653605820620800

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

Probably Fanatic Authoritarian, Spiritualist

If you're wanting to RP rather than go for pure power, taking the Barbaric Despoilers civic is a lot of fun. Abduct more thralls! (You can also spend a perk on Nihilistic Acquisition). However, those are both rather weak choices, from a min/max perspective.

Everytime I try this it ends up a huge mess after a few planets.

How do you guys keep the right ratios on each planet?

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Nice.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Cool, that's a good change to genetic ascension. Wish they'd rename the trait, though. The word erudite relates to being well educated, not inherently more intelligent.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I'm not sure about this. What bio ascension is about is flexibility- you have unparalleled control over your species' traits and more, better traits to work with. This is saying you have to take Erudite, or you're doing bio wrong.

Which- might be true? It's an incredibly strong trait even for the cost, and you'd have to really stuggle to justify a build which doesn't include it... but that strikes me as a problem to be fixed, not something you want to double down on? :shrug:

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Xae posted:

Everytime I try this it ends up a huge mess after a few planets.

How do you guys keep the right ratios on each planet?

I usually make the learned gentry slow breeders and the slaves quick breeders. Colonize with the slaves, let them breed a little and then throw a priest in to back them up.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Mountaineer posted:

Cool, that's a good change to genetic ascension. Wish they'd rename the trait, though. The word erudite relates to being well educated, not inherently more intelligent.

Yeah, Brilliant / Savant / Genius would be better terms.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

I'm not sure about this. What bio ascension is about is flexibility- you have unparalleled control over your species' traits and more, better traits to work with. This is saying you have to take Erudite, or you're doing bio wrong.

Which- might be true? It's an incredibly strong trait even for the cost, and you'd have to really stuggle to justify a build which doesn't include it... but that strikes me as a problem to be fixed, not something you want to double down on? :shrug:

if you're doing bio-ascension you probably have lots of different species; you probably want at least 3 different erudite species, each specialized in a different science field, if you're min-maxing to take full advantage of the ascension path. for a xenophobe, that lack of flexibility is just another reason to go psi or synth instead.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I think the point with biological ascension is that you have no reason to not put it on one of your species, you should really be running lots of them for different planet types and different functions.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I think the point with biological ascension is that you have no reason to not put it on one of your species, you should really be running lots of them for different planet types and different functions.

That said, ideally the devs would do something like what the Xenology mod does, and enable such thematic leader traits for SEVERAL of the advanced bio-mod traits, not just Erudite.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Dallan Invictus posted:

That said, ideally the devs would do something like what the Xenology mod does, and enable such thematic leader traits for SEVERAL of the advanced bio-mod traits, not just Erudite.

I mean, the only ""problem"" with that was that Metallotolerant -> Metal Head was a brokenly awesome Species trait (3P - +25% Mineral +10% Food Consume) and Admiral trait (+20% Fire Rate For Kinetics and Explosives, +0.5% Monthly Regen) to the point nothing else really compared for the point cost.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

canepazzo posted:

The Corporate Dominion and Exalted Clergy civics get your government type called a “megachurch”. Just throwing that out there.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
I started a game as life-seeded despoilers with the intention of abducting slaves to colonize new worlds for me. But then I ended up with primitives nearby and a weak purifier neighbour who I could conquer for no influence. Despoilers don't really feel worth it.

I also have a game going as life-seeded, free haven pacifists that has been quite interesting. I joined a federation hoping to keep my area of the galaxy peaceful, but they keep deciding it's a great idea to declare war on the loose alliance of authoritarian empires in our quadrant of the galaxy. I neglected ship techs for a bit so I am desperately defending my borders while my allies slowly lose ground. It has created lots of refugees to migrate to my empire though! This game has had way more action than any of my others, lots of wars all over the galaxy. Maxing out ai empires makes things so much more interesting. Kind of roleplaying this one as my species trying to defend their holy homeworld at all costs, so it's been fun.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

GotLag posted:

What can I call this civic? The mod above calls it "AI Integration" which is kinda lame, but my working name ("Machine Caretaker") is also boring as gently caress. What can I call this civic?

Allied Mastercomputer

Mother Brain (Think Phantasy Star)

Magi System

Neuromancer

Turing Police

Friend Computer

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Jazerus posted:

if you're doing bio-ascension you probably have lots of different species; you probably want at least 3 different erudite species, each specialized in a different science field, if you're min-maxing to take full advantage of the ascension path. for a xenophobe, that lack of flexibility is just another reason to go psi or synth instead.

OwlFancier posted:

Fair, I hadn't considered that.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I like how I started my first game as a post-apocalyptic empire, and in my immediate vicinity I found three 20+ sized tomb worlds that are somehow even more terrible hellscapes than my homeworld. One is apparently fully covered in bones.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nordick posted:

I like how I started my first game as a post-apocalyptic empire, and in my immediate vicinity I found three 20+ sized tomb worlds that are somehow even more terrible hellscapes than my homeworld. One is apparently fully covered in bones.

Your species initiated a remote terraforming initiative before beginning their local one.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Nordick posted:

I've started a few games as Post-Apoc and never get that, and I feel lame colonizing my standard planet type - I want to cleanse planets of life before I settle on them :(

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I didn't realize that the core planet mechanic got turned into core SYSTEMS, and have been sitting on 3/4 of an undeveloped ringworld for years. Time to fix that and fill it with synths!

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

I think it has actually been systems for a long, long time.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

popewiles posted:

I think it has actually been systems for a long, long time.

I hadn't really played since utopia was announced, so

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
If I remember correctly that was actually one of the first major changes that can about not long after Wiz stepped in... I think it was made even before any DLC came out. Like version 1.2 or something.

Either way it was a nice change and really helped back when sectors were totally useless at managing anything.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

OwlFancier posted:

Your species initiated a remote terraforming initiative before beginning their local one.

Nah the official bio is that they invented FTL around 1900, and promptly started a global hell-war over who gets to go first and hosed everything up before they got any ships built. Then they eventually unified under a single, more rational government and are trying to make a better go of it the second time around. Ya know, nothing fancy.

I can imagine the first surveyors exploring the other planets like "Man, I thought we hosed our place up, but god drat"

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I've started a few games as Post-Apoc and never get that, and I feel lame colonizing my standard planet type - I want to cleanse planets of life before I settle on them :(

I admit I didn't expect to get quite this kind of mileage out of this civic, honestly. :v: If I had gone with a more regular civ and found all these I'd've been pretty bummed, since almost all the normal colonizable planets around me kinda blow.

Also I started inside a nebula, together with a marauder empire. They are literally only three jumps from my homeworld. I thought that was gonna be interesting but I guess marauders are broken for me, it's past 2300 already and I haven't heard a single peep from them. And I have the "neutral raider fleets with script jank names idling in a system forever" bug. I wonder if it's a vanilla bug or mod-related.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 27, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I once spawned with marauders literally next door to my homeworld.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I once spawned with marauders literally next door to my homeworld.

My current game has Marauders sitting in a chokepoint that has 3 AI's blocked off from the rest of the galaxy. Each of them has 4-6 systems they can use before running into the Marauders. They don't seem to be doing anything though, and since I'm playing a purifier in this game I can't even hire them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

binge crotching posted:

My current game has Marauders sitting in a chokepoint that has 3 AI's blocked off from the rest of the galaxy. Each of them has 4-6 systems they can use before running into the Marauders. They don't seem to be doing anything though, and since I'm playing a purifier in this game I can't even hire them.

I wish Mauraders had to hole contiguous space. I don't mind FEs sitting over in their corner spanning multiple "arms" of the hyperlane network, but it bugs me when Mauraders do it.