Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Lumpen posted:

Yeah people say this so much but it isn't a convincing argument if you look closer.

First, the nature of the game gives Scum a strong motivation to lurk if they can get away with it, and this is perfectly fair. So Scum tend to lurk, and lynching a lurker benefots Town by either catching a Scum or reducing the Scums' ability to reap the many benefits of lurking. Every post is evidence, and every votecount tells a tale, there is plenty of information in EVERY lynch, from the process of getting it done. There is so much more than "what we now know from the dead guy's posts". There's no such thing as a "wasted lynch".

A lurker lynch also has the benefit of keeping active posters alive because every non-lurker lynch lynches a non-lurker! If you ask me, that is the greater waste. Active posters who love to keep posting will demonstrate their Towniness or gently caress up and expose their Scuminess in time, and a lurker will just continue to lurk until you have a lovely LYLO where the only living Town are the worst lurkers who were least engaged.

People imagine some ideal situation where they lynch a Scum who posted a lot and left a rich trail of evidence that points right at their Scumbuddies, but that doesn't really happen. Scum lurk, and they leave as little information behind as possible, and they bus and distance and leave behind all kinds of WIFOM anyway. That no-lurk Scum who leaves a lot of info to go on is a unicorn. And it wouldn't even be fun if that happened, really.

Lurking is a legitimate part of the challenge of the game.

As Town, your tools to combat lurking are to not lurk yourself, and to preferentially lynch all lurkers because you rationally understand how that policy helps Town win and helps games be more fun and compelling for everyone.

As Scum, you have a duty to pursue your win condition the best you can, and there is no shame in lurking as much as you can get away with. If that is effective, it's the Town's own dumb fault. Scum's chances of winning depend on poor play from Town players.

It is not the mod's job to dictate how people play the game, or save Town from themselves. The mod makes a balanced setup and then posts accurate flips. Replacement and modkilling or any kind of judgement call by the mod in the middle of the game is a corruption of the gamestate and degrades the quality of the game.

Nah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

More specifically, as a mod, I am not a robot. Usually taking the time to make a game involves creative output, balancing, and some enthusiasm on my part, none of which I am really compensated for. So really, the entertainment of watching people play is what I get out of it. I don't want people in the game that will join and then do absolutely nothing, especially since I think most lurker rules are eminently fair. Asking that someone post at least 10 posts in a day is not asking a lot, and is usually advertised in the OP. If you're signing up for that game, you knew the deal when you joined and that I would likely be ticked that a spot in the game went to someone who decided not to participate.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I've said that a lot, probably every game or so I've played for the last couple of years, but I also do think we are getting a bit ridiculous with game expectations; numerous times I've seen people annoyed that somebody didn't post in less than a 24 hour period, and that's just flat out ridiculous. And I know everybody is going to say "oh that's not what I mean" but it kind of is? It's encouraging lazy players to make mock contributions by post cou
nt.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

CCKeane posted:

I've said that a lot, probably every game or so I've played for the last couple of years, but I also do think we are getting a bit ridiculous with game expectations; numerous times I've seen people annoyed that somebody didn't post in less than a 24 hour period, and that's just flat out ridiculous. And I know everybody is going to say "oh that's not what I mean" but it kind of is? It's encouraging lazy players to make mock contributions by post cou
nt.

or pad out their posts with weird formatting to make them look longer than they are

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I feel like there's a fundamental misunderstanding of the scum mindset in Lumpen's characterisation of mafia. Or at least that different players will have radically different mindsets when it comes to playing as scum.

Like the broad statement "scum tend to lurk" isn't true in my experience. As scum you have more direct communication and inspiration from other players. Casing is much much easier because you don't have to worry about having a correct case, you just have to have a plausible case. But also, posting a bunch just gives good opportunity to set up misdirection, for example, even though we didn't win, in FFVII mafia GeneX and I lasted a long time because of a giant completely manufactured argument we had with each other on D3. Posting a shittonne was to our advantage because it allowed for us to exploit strategies further down the line. The best scum players I've worked with are ones who were active, discussing and posting all the time because more than anything, it provokes the rest of the scum team to do the same and means you get better strategies that come about as a result of different perspectives on the game being introduced.

How does that information practically play out?

Lurking actively hurts town because it allows scum to control the narrative of the game, but more importantly, it's just much easier for a town player to naturally fall into lurking to begin with, scum can ping each other in discord and chat away when they need to about anything. So given this, I think town suffers greatly from lurking so far as to make the game imbalanced.

When town has to expend their limited lynches taking out targets that aren't speaking active town members lose a great deal of discursive impact from either lynching an active town or scum player. It's demoralising for town and has a slippery slope effect where demoralised town members start speaking less, killing dialogue in game.

How do you deal with this as a mod? Just killing lurkers does help town, but town is still down a player and more specifically they don't generate discourse from the town player dying. So I started implementing the lurker gun system in my game, where the highest volume posters have the option to shoot players that don't hit the postcount limit. This allows for the elimination of lurkers and compensates the lack of discursive benefit they generate by generating discourse around the legitimacy of the shot.

I've only playtested this system a couple of times, but when implemented I've found it helps swing a game I otherwise feel is against town back to a more neutral field.

Mostly, I feel as mod, your job is to ensure that the game is fun for players and a game where people are actively participating and have lots to chat about is generally more fun than a game without those things. I'd rather that than have my game be a pure game every time.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

CCKeane posted:

nt.

Oh but that's not what I mean.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

CCKeane posted:

nt.

theoretically then you lynch the people making such terrible arguments about postcounts.

busb: I have no chance to play mafia with my current schedule. I'm overloaded in the office, then next week I travel for a week of field work in cape cod, then the week after that I'm teaching a course in electrical modeling in san antonio.

I like mafia but my job is completely incompatible with having the needed free time or brain cells to play.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I want to run a game but there's two big games that haven't filled and riven is about to start.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Pander posted:

theoretically then you lynch the people making such terrible arguments about postcounts.

busb: I have no chance to play mafia with my current schedule. I'm overloaded in the office, then next week I travel for a week of field work in cape cod, then the week after that I'm teaching a course in electrical modeling in san antonio.

I like mafia but my job is completely incompatible with having the needed free time or brain cells to play.

You haven't played mafia in a long time, have you?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i am playing mafia still but its through a series of alts can you spot the clues and find my alts?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i will give you a hint: this riddle has a roof *wink*

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Snooze Cruise posted:

i am playing mafia still but its through a series of alts can you spot the clues and find my alts?

u r my alt

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Snooze Cruise posted:

hmm.. well you're Snooze Cruise, so...

OMG YOU WERE TIRED MONTY ALL ALONG

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Too much posting isn't necessarily better. Personally most of my lurking comes from popping into a thread to find that it has 200+ new posts since I went to bed the night before, and it's just way too overwhelming to try and catch up. Especially because most of the time it's a slapfight or a bunch of shitposts with some tiny piece of relevant content hidden inside

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

what games need filling

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Jonathan Fisk posted:

what games need filling

Chics dcss

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I think the issue with mafia is not with lurking but in that we've had a strong swing in many games away from really deep content analysis. Most games that fail to feel like they've "launched" or whatever come down to high posters being dunked / offed in the night and the remaining people posting very little content based reads. You can't really deconstruct "i just feel it in my bones i don't have a good reason" and that's many of the cases when you get into D3 and nobody's posting much of anything.

See merk's most latest Goodsmead for this. All the high content posters died and then it seemed nobody wanted to play anymore because the game ground to a halt. If everyone is content lurking you might as well just be flipping a coin every day.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I will eventually save mafia one day quid just have patience ok.

I am like king arthur taking a nap, but a girl, so just like fate stay night

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Snooze Cruise posted:

All hail Quing Marthur

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
quing marthur is my favorite smash bros character

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Snooze Cruise posted:

yeah but unlike fate stay night you aren't garbage

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...

CapitalistPig posted:

I want to run a game but there's two big games that haven't filled and riven is about to start.

I'm personally waiting for a smaller game to open, if that means anything. DCSS and Riven additionally aren't even pure Mafia in the first place. After Westworld I thought a smaller game might suit me better, since it means fewer people to case and keep track of when workdays will inevitably disrupt my focus anyway.

Not trying to knock DCSS or Riven either; just not what im looking for atm. I considered DBZ mafia because I love the IP but 27 people is way too many. I might have joined the recent Eccogame if I'd known it was going to effectively split into two smaller games before rejoining.

Anyway just noting this in case others are feeling the same way I am.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Lando131 posted:

I'm personally waiting for a smaller game to open, if that means anything. DCSS and Riven additionally aren't even pure Mafia in the first place. After Westworld I thought a smaller game might suit me better, since it means fewer people to case and keep track of when workdays will inevitably disrupt my focus anyway.

Not trying to knock DCSS or Riven either; just not what im looking for atm. I considered DBZ mafia because I love the IP but 27 people is way too many. I might have joined the recent Eccogame if I'd known it was going to effectively split into two smaller games before rejoining.

Anyway just noting this in case others are feeling the same way I am.

It's a 16 player setup so its kind of on the cusp. I am just gonna hold off.

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

Fair. That is considerably smaller than the 22 person Westworld so I'd jump in all other things being equal.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah it's going to take a lot to get me in a game with more than 13 players ever again.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Lando131 posted:

Fair. That is considerably smaller than the 22 person Westworld so I'd jump in all other things being equal.

I feel obligated to mention that it is "This mod is a total bastard mafia" and will feature bastard roles and is also role madness.

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

CapitalistPig posted:

I feel obligated to mention that it is "This mod is a total bastard mafia" and will feature bastard roles and is also role madness.

Hedge status: great success.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

CapitalistPig posted:

Drawrof part deux imo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

attn meinberg its u

quote:

The Best Of...
Saturday, Dec 01, 2007 by Rich "Lowtax" Kyanka (@richard_kyanka)

« First

Last (20) »
Borky posted:

A loose female acquaintance of mine calls me at 1:00am today and asks me if I could print something on the computer for her and bring it over in the afternoon. "Hey yeah sure sure, whatever you need I'll help you, I'm all yours," I tell her. She sends me this file and lo and behold I can't open it. It's made in Microsoft Publisher and I don't have that program so I begin panicing, trying to find this program or a way to print the file. Scouring the internet yields no results and I do my usual pacing in my room.

I finally come up with an idea and I tell the girl, if I can proceed with it. The plan was I would carry my printer about 2miles to her house, print out the needed pages, maybe talk to her a bit while I was there. I was hoping for at least a hug out of this ordeal.

By the time I get there, I'm wet all over from sweating in the +90 degree heat outside and carrying a heavy motherfucking HP Deskjet printer. The first thing I see upon entering her room (my first time in a girl's bedroom) are some panties on her bed.

After the initial shock of seeing such a horrific sight for the first time, I setup the printer and get my job done. However, I did consider sniffing the lingere when she left the room once, but with the wuss that I am, I just ended up staring at them the whole while. That was a sarcastic joke for those of you too stupid to realize that

To make a long story short, just as I was finishing up with the printing job (which was hefty), her boyfriend and his gay friend walk in, say hello, and begin hanging out in the room as they waited for the girl to finish this work so they could go to the mall.

This effectively ruins my chances of getting a hug and I walk another 2 miles home with the motherfucking printer in hand. The only thing that I got out of this were some very painful fingers and a "thanks" as I walked out her bedroom door.

So, am I pathetic for doing all these things? It wouldn't be the first time I've pledged my heart and soul to a girl and gotten back almost nothing in return. I would hate turning her or anyone else I knew down or making up some lie.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Still need players for DCSS mafia btwww

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Captain Foo posted:

attn meinberg its u

Ah, good memories. Kids will be kids, eh?

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Hi meinberg how’re you

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Mr. F! posted:

Hi meinberg how’re you

I'm doing well, working on my writing some, just living my day to day, you know?

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
If anyone is planning on running a mafia game any time soon, I would love to be a co-mod. I'm designing a Shawshank Redemption Mafia game (thanks Retro Futurist for the feedback), but would like to get a feel for the behind the scenes work that goes into modding before I run my own game.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

b-minus1 posted:

If anyone is planning on running a mafia game any time soon, I would love to be a co-mod. I'm designing a Shawshank Redemption Mafia game (thanks Retro Futurist for the feedback), but would like to get a feel for the behind the scenes work that goes into modding before I run my own game.

I done told you

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
yeah I saw that. But even with the changes I'm making I would still would like my shawshank game to be bigger than 11 players.

I would totally run an F11 player game using a newbie setup, but flavor seems to be important to a lot of people on this forum, and I am not that creative. If there is enough interest in a flavorless (or bare-bones flavor) 11 player game, I would do that first.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

b-minus1 posted:

yeah I saw that. But even with the changes I'm making I would still would like my shawshank game to be bigger than 11 players.

I would totally run an F11 player game using a newbie setup, but flavor seems to be important to a lot of people on this forum, and I am not that creative. If there is enough interest in a flavorless (or bare-bones flavor) 11 player game, I would do that first.

Dude you've seen my games, being able to write good flavour isn't at all important.

Especially with an F11. Pick a tv show and just randomly roll for who's what boom done

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I agree with Opop! Flavor is nice but mafia is fun so just run a thing :) I’d play in a quick F11 for sure

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Yes I am also in for a flavor-lite simple small game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
I have a semi open 12 player that's relatively normal as far as mafia games go.

The semi open part is that there are mechanics to reward and punish post counts.

A tiered post count roulette that unlocks abilities or perks by position in thread overall and number of posts made without derailing the thread or undermining the actual setup.

So yeah. I'll probably open recruitment for sunshine mafia this weekend or the next.

Was waiting for more deaths in active games, filling up of others and Riven to get underway.