Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh I didn't recognize that guy but now I do, he should crawl back to wherever he came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If something has fanfic made of it its bad *sits in an empty white void for all eternity*

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

If something has fanfic made of it its bad *sits in an empty white void for all eternity*

I wish more people made more art generally, our souls are weighed down heavy by societal conventions...

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

When I popped into the thread there were links to fan fiction. Not really convinced.

drat dude guess that invalidates everything haha #gotem

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

I wish more people made more art generally, our souls are weighed down heavy by societal conventions...

*puts on sunglasses* what if i told you that fanfic is art

Source: like 80% of all ancient lit is just historical fanfiction

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

*puts on sunglasses* what if i told you that fanfic is art

Source: like 80% of all ancient lit is just historical fanfiction

Yah that's what I'm down with, I don't know why visual artists doing fan stuff is seen as acceptable and cool but prose stuff isn't.

Maybe just the lower barrier of entry means more unskilled writers do fanwriting so it's easier to mock. It's still art and godspeed to whoever's doing it I'd it makes them happy.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Endorph posted:

i'm gonna write fanfic of you sitting in an empty white void for all eternity

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

it's still very easy to mock people who draw, as seen by the 42069 pages of pyf threads

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Bad fan art is still cool, but I can understand a bad read feeling more frustrating.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

*first bars of Charles Wright & the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band's 1970 breakout 'Express Yourself' crackle through a nearby intercom*

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

oh god I'm class d again

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hell yeah

Sharkopath posted:

Yah that's what I'm down with, I don't know why visual artists doing fan stuff is seen as acceptable and cool but prose stuff isn't.
Imo its a combination of fanfic being seen as more of an 'investment' (read: it takes longer to read so people tend to see it as more work on the authors part even though a 3k word fanfic probably takes way less time than a colored piece of art) and the lower barrier to entry. Plus fanfic sites are pretty terrible at filtering/its hard tp judge somethinfs quality just from a description so people tend to get exposed to a lot more bad fanfic.

Its cool tho. Fandom and fanworks can be freaking weird but they can also be incredibly worthwhile ways of engaging with art and iunno why theres so much social cache put into dismissing it out of hand in certain circles

If you wanna hear my hot take its that literary criticism/essays are also fanfiction

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Sharkopath posted:

*first bars of Charles Wright & the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band's 1970 breakout 'Express Yourself' crackle through a nearby intercom*

I love this post, thank you shark

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
But seriously the entire thread could be links to terrible fanfiction and A Place Farther Than The Universe would still be incredible.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Endorph posted:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

When I popped into the thread there were links to fan fiction. Not really convinced.

Is this like the last sub forum you're not banned from posting in or something

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't read any fanfiction since... like, 2011? But generally, if something is well-written, who the gently caress cares if it's fan-created work.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Here are the osomatsu's worth watching

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

GorfZaplen posted:

Here are the osomatsu's worth watching

2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29 are prime osomatsus :rimshot:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Antarctica was my show of the season. It's still very early in the year to say it's best of the year but it'll definitely be in the top 3.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 27, 2018

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

imo the RIS storyline stuff in B is weighed down too much by western cop drama tropes to be worth praising, mostly in regards to the multi-episode final villain confrontation and how incredibly hard Lily gets sidelined, but the portrayal of Keith's tortured genius is also pretty bad. it's just somehow the mashup of it with the supernatural shonen revenge story works to carry the show forward, with plenty of help from a basically flawless production.

even from one episode of AICO i can already see the seams where it feels more like a tv production on Netflix vs B's movie quality. looking forward to something a bit more focused story wise though.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Netflix: "We're still trying, you guys!" :shobon:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Castlevania was pretty solid, at least, provided you have a certain baseline Warren Ellis tolerance.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Darth Walrus posted:

Castlevania was pretty solid, at least, provided you have a certain baseline Warren Ellis tolerance.
I keed I keed. I do like a good chunk of shows from their OG lineup, I just constantly find myself thinking that a lot of Netflix shows/movies/specials have the "Two steps forward, One Step back" kind of issue.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fanworks are good overall IMO

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Is this like the last sub forum you're not banned from posting in or something

I'll be fair to BotL and say that his effortposts in TBB are often insightful even if they're annoyingly smug. But a lot of his posting, especially in the Internet Critic Thread, is just trolling.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
i thought swordgai was a joke name for something else until i logged into netflix today

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Apparently it's hilariously bad

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sindai posted:

Meh, works for me. It's partially why I watched Kakegurui.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I'll be fair to BotL and say that his effortposts in TBB are often insightful even if they're annoyingly smug. But a lot of his posting, especially in the Internet Critic Thread, is just trolling.

one might ask why he even posts in adtrw if "anime is for pedophiles," as he says elsewhere

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

one might ask why he even posts in adtrw if "anime is for pedophiles," as he says elsewhere

Looking for a support network, I guess. :smith:

Yes, this is a joke. I think.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

It must be a terrible existence to crave validation from randos that badly.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

dogsicle posted:

imo the RIS storyline stuff in B is weighed down too much by western cop drama tropes to be worth praising, mostly in regards to the multi-episode final villain confrontation and how incredibly hard Lily gets sidelined, but the portrayal of Keith's tortured genius is also pretty bad. it's just somehow the mashup of it with the supernatural shonen revenge story works to carry the show forward, with plenty of help from a basically flawless production.

even from one episode of AICO i can already see the seams where it feels more like a tv production on Netflix vs B's movie quality. looking forward to something a bit more focused story wise though.

Funnily enough, alot of the CGI in AICO is really well integrated with the traditionally animated bits, to the point where the trad is often not up to scratch. I really liked the design and fluid motion of the power suits, where people would effortlessly flip between on-foot, power loader, to mothership configuration all in one sequence. It's all TV quality, but very high end of TV quality.

Xinder posted:

i thought swordgai was a joke name for something else until i logged into netflix today

Sindai posted:

B and Swordgai are both from Production IG, which is sorta depressing. I'm... just going to blame the writing and directing.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

also worth noting B is an original production and Sword Gai is a manga adaptation

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Well, Yorimoi was good. I'm glad I was massively behind and so got to marathon it instead of waiting a week between episodes.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

Well, Yorimoi was good. I'm glad I was massively behind and so got to marathon it instead of waiting a week between episodes.

remember to re-hydrate to replace all those tears.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

gmq posted:

remember to re-hydrate to replace all those tears.
I listen to a lot of emo: I'm a natural crybaby.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

best wishes on your life's journey

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/Anime/status/978798841989353472

Yay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011