Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's the best selling ps4 game of all time I think. Not sure about other platforms.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

apophenium posted:

Whew! Really enjoying FFVI! Just clowned Kefka at Narshe and now I'm wondering what to do. Are there optional things open to me right now or is chasing down Terra my only real concern?

There's not a huge amount of optional stuff until you get the airship. After that, go do things. The available stuff changes once you do the big plot thing on the Floating Continent or whatever it's called so make sure you've finished what you want before it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

S/E has amazingly dysfunctional project management and they could really stand to parachute in somebody who knows what they are doing in that regard. Maybe Tabata is such a person idk but it sure as poo poo ain't Nomura.

Tabata is good at getting stuff done. He's got many other flaws but he makes more sense than Nomura yeah

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Tae posted:

That's not remotely true at all, where are you quoting this from

Yeah I think you meant to say Playstation game not just PS4.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I don't remember where I read that so don't listen to me.

I just looked it up and it's top 20 so.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Harrow posted:

Why are some of these even considered chapters? Are they just padding the number so they end at 15?

I'm pretty sure there are 14 chapters so it's not even this

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

I'm pretty sure there are 14 chapters so it's not even this

the postgame is listed as chapter 15

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My only other guess is that there was supposed to be a lot more in each chapter, that stuff didn't make it in, but the chapter divisions stayed the same. That would also explain how disjointed all of this is. I was really forgiving of the threadbare plot in the first part of the game because the characters were fun but even that is falling away and it seems like all of the actual development and drama is happening offscreen and/or in the DLCs.

Like Chapter 11 was just a 15-minute-long train attack scene and that's it

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

DACK FAYDEN posted:

How were Nier:A's sales? The phrase "auteur driven" only makes me think of one name these days now that Kojima's totally screwed, and while I still don't know why SE greenlit N:A on so many levels I'm really loving happy they did so I'm hoping to hear "they were good" here.

Nier Automata was part of an initiative by the company's then new CEO to revive dormant brands instead of developing new IPs. The idea was to develop the sequels with modest budgets and take advantage of their cult status. Most of the games failed (Star Ocean 5) but Automata was a breakout hit (2.5 million units shipped). They're pivoting back towards new IPs since the revival plan was largely a bust but we should see more games by Yoko Taro since Nier Automata and SinoAlice did very well.

But they still can't pay for a PC patch.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Sunning posted:

Nier Automata was part of an initiative by the company's then new CEO to revive dormant brands instead of developing new IPs. The idea was to develop the sequels with modest budgets and take advantage of their cult status. Most of the games failed (Star Ocean 5) but Automata was a breakout hit (2.5 million units shipped). They're pivoting back towards new IPs since the revival plan was largely a bust but we should see more games by Yoko Taro since Nier Automata and SinoAlice did very well.

Why would they - modders have fixed it already without them having to lift a finger :effort:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

My only other guess is that there was supposed to be a lot more in each chapter, that stuff didn't make it in, but the chapter divisions stayed the same. That would also explain how disjointed all of this is. I was really forgiving of the threadbare plot in the first part of the game because the characters were fun but even that is falling away and it seems like all of the actual development and drama is happening offscreen and/or in the DLCs.

Like Chapter 11 was just a 15-minute-long train attack scene and that's it

Yeah it just seems way more likely that chapters were arbitrarily made after the fact so the postgame could be called chapter 15.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sunning posted:

lol if you think they even know you CAN patch games released for the PC

like seriously I am genuinely worried they don't

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yoko Taro deserves a shot at Brave Fencer Musashi

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Ehrgei2

with the font making it look like a Z obviously

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ROFL Octopus posted:

Yeah it just seems way more likely that chapters were arbitrarily made after the fact so the postgame could be called chapter 15.

I assume when development started it would have had 13 chapters, then when it became XV they just split them up differently.

Which reminds me; every clock in FF13 has 13 hours on it, which is why you get this weird explanation in Lightning Returns where Hope confirms days have 24 hours.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

DACK FAYDEN posted:

How were Nier:A's sales? The phrase "auteur driven" only makes me think of one name these days now that Kojima's totally screwed, and while I still don't know why SE greenlit N:A on so many levels I'm really loving happy they did so I'm hoping to hear "they were good" here.

iirc there's an exec in SE who loving loves Yoko Taro and is the reason they keep letting him make games, even knowing full well they won't do well financially-- Automata obviously being the exception that finally broke that rule.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

esperterra posted:

iirc there's an exec in SE who loving loves Yoko Taro and is the reason they keep letting him make games, even knowing full well they won't do well financially-- Automata obviously being the exception that finally broke that rule.

That exec saw his background work on Time Crisis 2 and could never let him go.

Edit: Yoko Taro should bring back Bushido Blade

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Let Yoko Taro direct Final Fantasy XVI

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Harrow posted:

Unironically this

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

:hai:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Harrow posted:

Thered be a lot more playable women, thats for sure

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Caim Returns Final Fantasy XVI

Barudak
May 7, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

Caim Returns Final Fantasy XVI

I dont think even a PS5 will have the necessary processing power to render that amount of hate.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Strangely enough, I liked the linearity and brevity of the latter half of FF15. I'd had my fill of open world content just about as the sidequests ran out, so it was timed well for me. It didn't hurt that the whole "days getting shorter" thing was something I'd actually noticed while playing, and when an NPC mentioned it, I thought "well maybe I'm not going crazy!"; when the radio talked about how yesterday was 30 minutes shorter than the day before, I felt totally vindicated. Note that with no HUD, I also had no clock--it's obvious that you wake up later and later as the chapters progress if you have it enabled, though.

Maybe it's the way you approach it. I thought of Ch10-14 as Final Fantasy XV Starring Keanu Reeves--lots of poo poo dies, lots of poo poo blows up, there really isn't any explanation for it but it's fun and cool as hell. Plus, my personal challenge of FF15 Blind Run No Deaths You Die In The Game You Die For Real made sequences like the train defense and the Regalia escape scene tense as hell, so I didn't really have time to think "does any of this really make sense?" Maybe it didn't, but I didn't seem to mind at the time, and I don't mind now in retrospect :v:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Barudak posted:

That exec saw his background work on Time Crisis 2 and could never let him go.

Edit: Yoko Taro should bring back Bushido Blade

Wait, Taro worked on Time Crisis 2? Learn something new every day!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PunkBoy posted:

Wait, Taro worked on Time Crisis 2? Learn something new every day!

He also worked on Alpine Racer 2 which is an incredible arcade game I burned way too much time on and something called Covert Ops: Nuclear Dawn which I refuse to believe anyone, including himself, had heard of until I typed this sentence.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Barudak posted:

He also worked on Alpine Racer 2 which is an incredible arcade game I burned way too much time on and something called Covert Ops: Nuclear Dawn which I refuse to believe anyone, including himself, had heard of until I typed this sentence.

I actually have a copy of that

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's the best selling ps4 game of all time I think. Not sure about other platforms.

I know everyone is having a hearty lol over this. The correct answer is Uncharted 4 at 8.7 million, followed by Horizon: Zero Dawn at 7.6.

Nier:A sold 1.6 million on ps4, good for 15th.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

apophenium posted:

Whew! Really enjoying FFVI! Just clowned Kefka at Narshe and now I'm wondering what to do. Are there optional things open to me right now or is chasing down Terra my only real concern?

You're going to run into a clock puzzle soon that is VERY worth your time solving.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Can you imagine how loving terrifying it would be if everybody started to notice that days started to permanently be shorter and the nights were permanently growing lengthier until it became the norm for just always night 24/7 365 days a year? That's some Grade A horror movie poo poo, but nobody seemed to be totally freaking out the way I'm pretty sure normal people in real life would.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Space Fish posted:

You're going to run into a clock puzzle soon that is VERY worth your time solving.

I dunno... it's okay I guess but I never use it. The instant death chance is cool, but it can proc against things you don't want it to get used against. It auto-misses vs bosses and undeads. Drill baby drill

Gologle posted:

Can you imagine how loving terrifying it would be if everybody started to notice that days started to permanently be shorter and the nights were permanently growing lengthier until it became the norm for just always night 24/7 365 days a year? That's some Grade A horror movie poo poo, but nobody seemed to be totally freaking out the way I'm pretty sure normal people in real life would.

They did, but it was imperceptible and by a few seconds every day, passed off as seasonal shift. You, the player, barely notice that days are shorter. It's an extremely marginal change! People panic after Lunafreya dies because that's when night gets longer by dozens of minutes every day.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I did like the days getting shorter thing, especially since it's something you can notice before NPCs start talking about it.

I think the total lack of context for anything just sours it all for me, I guess. I don't mind a fast-paced story or even linearity--I like FFX a lot, after all--but it just seemed like a lot of the connective tissue between the Big Moments was missing and left everything feeling hollow and confusing. I already know what's going on and it still left me wondering what the point of some of those scenes was.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I.....think I did too? Googling it is really ringing some bells but I can't remember if I ever owned a copy. The PS1 era is when I really started giving the ol' brain a good rotting

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Gologle posted:

I mean, in the real world, days get shorter for about half the year and it's neither super noticeable or a big deal. I can buy people not even noticing until it got really extreme.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
It would be nice if there was a mod that made the days about 2x longer imo, because the daylight cycle in FFXV is just short enough for it to be annoying

The shortening days are very much a suspension-of-disbelief thing since the game models it by adjusting the observation latitude and longitude orbital phase of the astronomical simulation or somesuch even though the in-game explanation has nothing to do with the planet's orbit or whatever. Also there would be far more terrifying things to be scared of during a perpetual night than marauding daemons. Like the fact that every single living organism on the planet will die of starvation within a month. "In the real world" astronomers would notice something was extremely horribly wrong on day one of the sun setting a few seconds early.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 28, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Cleretic posted:

I mean, in the real world, days get shorter for about half the year and it's neither super noticeable or a big deal. I can buy people not even noticing until it got really extreme.

Stuff like that can get pretty noticable depending on where you live or if you move to places w/ wildly different daylight times. Like I used to live up North and my whole life I was used to the sun going down at like 11pm and starting to come back up again at like 3:30am during the summer and ridiculously short days during the winter. I moved further south and the days don't change so wildly here.

Granted, I also have to change my clock for DST now and where I grew up we didn't use it. So that could be part of it too tbh though the hours of daylight to nighttime are still pretty different.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think that if that happened IRL, my earnest reaction would be "god this is hosed up" for a few days and then "well, what can you do"

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

esperterra posted:

Stuff like that can get pretty noticable depending on where you live or if you move to places w/ wildly different daylight times. Like I used to live up North and my whole life I was used to the sun going down at like 11pm and starting to come back up again at like 3:30am during the summer and ridiculously short days during the winter. I moved further south and the days don't change so wildly here.

Granted, I also have to change my clock for DST now and where I grew up we didn't use it. So that could be part of it too tbh though the hours of daylight to nighttime are still pretty different.

It is definitely noticeable, at least where I am. The sun is finally coming up at an early hour. Snow is melting too. I hate snow, but summers here are incredible.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Gologle posted:

It's called Alaska

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Why do you own the game Capcom looked at and said, "Yes, lets rip this off but add even more annoying mechanics"