Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
While at first pass it may seem difficult to believe for him that his co-worker is some variety of rapist murderer, surely there's literal proof that she ordered an Uber and then she was being driven by him (drunk!!) away from the party. How much extra circumstantial evidence do you need if you can't take her word for it? What a piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Fuckin who needs proof? if my wife told me my coworker tried to abduct and probably rape her and I said “uh honey can you provide a notarized witness statement” instead of “lock and load let’s gently caress him up” I would deserve the kick in the balls she would surely give me

Barudak
May 7, 2007

andrew smash posted:

Fuckin who needs proof? if my wife told me my coworker tried to abduct and probably rape her and I said “uh honey can you provide a notarized witness statement” instead of “lock and load let’s gently caress him up” I would deserve the kick in the balls she would surely give me

Gonna be honest, a kick in the balls would just be the preamble for this woman, leading to a knock down drag out fight that ends with her holding you over the side railing of the roof and as you beg for her to pull you up she says "Can I trust you to not let go?" and as you feel relief that she'll save your life she lets go, saying "Too bad you can't trust me, though"

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Hey, I meant my own wife. I couldn’t keep up with Jane Wick over there.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo thank god no one else was hurt I can't imagine that kind of survivors guilt.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Eh, she's probably not the type to get survivor's guilt. Plenty of people don't.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Whoops he fell down, onto my bullets

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

andrew smash posted:

kick in the balls? You'd get a baseball bat to the jewels, and you guys don't even own a baseball bat. It'd just materialize for her.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Pick posted:

Whoops he fell down, onto my bullets

Are the bullets OK?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Me [23 M] with my girlfriend [31 F] of 2 years. Her ex-fiance is sending her letters from jail every week and it's making me uncomfortable.

quote:

Title edit: The letters are every couple of weeks, and there has been 3 letters so far.

So a little backstory. Before we started dating, she was with her ex-fiance for about 5 years. She broke off the engagement and broke up with him for a variety of reasons since he's an alcoholic, sometimes abusive, etc. He has a lot of psychiatric issues.

Anyway, he recently went to jail for beating up his grandparents so bad that they went to the ICU with several ruptured organs. His current girlfriend broke up with him and took their son with her, and he's now in jail. The only people who are still willing to talk to him are his dad and my girlfriend since they're still friends.

Before he even went to jail, I told my girlfriend to never give him our address; however, my girlfriend gave him our address before asking for my opinion so they can exchange letters. She believed that it would be okay because he is in jail and we'll have moved by the time he got out.

My girlfriend told me that he would be sending letters every now and then and if I'm okay with that, and I told her that it should be fine as long as he isn't saying inappropriate. She told me and him that I would be reading the letters as well before I even knew, so I started reading each one as they came since she wanted me to.

It's a lot worse than I thought. He's sending her very detailed letters every couple of weeks about everything that's going on his life, personal experiences, and he's even talking about their past memories together when they were dating. He also mentions how much she means to him, etc.

I'm now very uncomfortable with this whole situation, especially once he started saying things that a friend would normally not say to another friend. I'm not sure what to think or do at this point, and I need some advice/guidance. What do you guys think? Let me hear your thoughts and opinions. Thanks, everyone!

EDIT: I exaggerated a bit about how badly he beat up his grandparents. One went to the ICU with a ruptured organ, and the other was pretty injured. Her ex-fiance was charged with domestic violence and elderly abuse.

tl;dr: My girlfriend's ex-fiance is sending her very detailed, personal letters every week from jail, and it's making me uncomfortable. How do I proceed?
My favorite part is "I exaggerated a bit. It was just one ruptured organ, not several."

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

andrew smash posted:

2. Releasing his seatbelt? That girl is ice loving cold (good)

Holy poo poo she owns, she's my new thread hero

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Start a rumor in the prison that the ex bf inappropriately touched a puppy

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Haifisch posted:

Me [23 M] with my girlfriend [31 F] of 2 years. Her ex-fiance is sending her letters from jail every week and it's making me uncomfortable.

My favorite part is "I exaggerated a bit. It was just one ruptured organ, not several."

What do you do? Tell the Warden? Stop writing letters? I can't think of any scenario where he gets out and doesn't come by, wanting to kill them for ignoring him.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

lmao at "my ex-gf is still friends with her abusive boyfriend who's in jail for beating up his grandparents and I thought it was okay for them to be pen-pals"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Poor guy, gonna get murdered when the boyfriend gets out of jail. Circle of life though, his girlfriend and prison boy will need sustenance for their days long mating

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Ppl get on my rear end but this thread helps me hate plenty of women too I mean drat

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Don’t write to this hog goblin !

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
pick what the gently caress is happening with your avatar(s)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I feel like psychically the hole I’d want a penis to get into doesn’t exist, it’s in the realm of the taint but it’s off axis

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

pick what the gently caress is happening with your avatar(s)

People giving money for Lowtax's broken neck.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Me [19f] with my aunt [40f]. I agreed to do some artwork for her business. I thought we agreed she would pay me, she said she is giving me experience. What should I do? I'm worried how this will impact my family.
Where to begin on this.

I am currently in a very expensive art school, it's always been my dream to be a paid artist and I think I'm very good at taking peoples ideas and turning them into reality. My parent's have been awesome and they saved up so much money for me to go to school that I only have a small amount of student loans but any paid work I get is a huge, huge help.

My dad has two brothers, both are married. So lets say their wives are Aunt Kay and Aunt Jay. Last year Aunt Kay asked me to paint a picture of the view of the mountains from her dads gravesite. I did a very stylized acrylic that I thought turned out excellent, in fact it's one of my favorite things I've ever done. Aunt Kay actually broke into tears and I was so moved that I tried to refuse payment from her because her appreciation meant so much to me and she isn't wealthy by any means. But in the end she insisted on paying me and paid me far more than any of my artwork is worth, the money was so helpful this past year.

So Aunt Jay contacted me at the beginning of the year talking about how impressed she was with Aunt Kay's painting and asking me if I would be willing to work on some designs for her new real estate business. I 100% remember telling her that I was really busy this semester and that as much as I hated to, I would have to charge her for my time because it would cut into my free time. I also swear on everything I am positive that she said "don't worry about anything, I'll pay you" but it came out very nice.

Well she wanted a lot of stuff done, logos, office painting, a design for a mural in her office, a design for those magnets that go on cars and some other small things.

Things got weird from the start, I did some initial sketches for her to see if we were going down the right path and she actually got sort of mad at me because I was wasting her time with non finished products. I told her that's kind of how I work because I don't want to waste expensive materials on ideas that she may not like. I actually have this in text and she said "my time is just as valuable as your materials, so please don't waste it." I was like ok, so I spent the next week doing a very elaborate oil painting from which her business logo would be taken. I even UPS shipped it to her. She hated it and got mad at me again for wasting her time. I tried to explain to her this is why I like to do sketches so there's no misunderstanding. She agreed this time and I finally came up with things she liked. I'd spent a lot of time on this project already, not so much that my grades were slipping but it was costing me time with my friends. So I did final versions of the oil painting for the office, did what I think is a really cool logo and a really nice mock up of the office mural. I was out quite a bit of money for the materials and shipping and it was very stupid of me to not follow up about the payment then.

Things got really weird when she accused me of dragging my feet on the car magnet design. I said that what she should do is take the logo to a local graphic design place and they could easily do it. I also told her I thought we had the materials to make them at my school but I personally didn't. She accused me of not working hard enough for her. I was really taken aback and just decided enough was enough and I would just stop doing things for her.

This is where things get really ugly. She contacted me out of the blue and thanked me for the advice on the magnets. She said that now she was ready for me to fly out and paint her office mural. I said that was pretty much impossible as I had classes and any decent mural painter could take my mock up and make it happen. She said she wanted me to do it. So I talked with my teachers to see if I could take a week off, all were supportive, so I looked up tickets and told Aunt Jay what it would cost to fly me out. She said that she assumed I would pay for it since I'd get to see my family anyways. I said I was really sorry but I just can't afford it but maybe if she paid me for the work I'd already done for her, maybe I could see if my parents would split the cost of the ticket with me.

She literally exploded on me. I mean exploded. She accused me of showing favoritism to Aunt Kay because I'd tried to refuse payment for the gravesite painting, she accused me of dragging my feet and as quote as I can "I wanted this poo poo in January and it's almost loving April." I tried to break in and say that we agreed I'd be paid and she called me short sighted and said something like (not a quote) "do you realize how much doing work for someone like me can mean for someone like you? I'm giving you free advertising because hundreds of people will come in and out of my office every week!" She then said she had given me valuable experience that is worth more than any amount of money. I was shocked and I said, actually her work was pretty easy and I'd done tons of pieces like that when I was in high school. She then said I was insulting her intelligence and hung up on me.

That was yesterday afternoon and I'm still in shock. I haven't told my parents, I haven't told my uncle and I definitely haven't tried to call my aunt back. I'm worried that this is going to cause a big rift in my family and since she gets to see everyone on at least a weekly basis she'll get to tell her side of the story and I'll look like a greedy jerk that expects money from family. The art is a mute point because I can just stop and I can't afford a ticket with my own money so that will have to go to the wayside but I'm worried about the effect on my family.

What should I do here?

tl;dr: I agreed to do some art work for my aunt's business, I swear we agreed she'd pay me but she is so mad at me for asking for money and said I'm lucky she was giving me experience. What should I do?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Always get it in writing.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Kill her

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

at least she's learning practical job and life skills while she's in school

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

That aunt sucks. It's common to see people who value art and design so little that they don't think they should have to pay for it, but at the same time, are incredibly demanding of their artists and designers and expect it to be as easy as pushing a button and the artwork comes out.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

You should work for exposure, by which I mean give me free poo poo then go outside and die of hypothermia

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Well she certainly got paid in experience by learning that scummy people will try to cheat you out of getting paid for the work you agreed to do. Too bad it's from her Aunt!

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Smirking_Serpent posted:

That was yesterday afternoon and I'm still in shock. I haven't told my parents, I haven't told my uncle and I definitely haven't tried to call my aunt back. I'm worried that this is going to cause a big rift in my family and since she gets to see everyone on at least a weekly basis she'll get to tell her side of the story and I'll look like a greedy jerk that expects money from family. The art is a mute point because I can just stop and I can't afford a ticket with my own money so that will have to go to the wayside but I'm worried about the effect on my family.
It's too late for her to avoid causing some kind of rift; now is the time for damage control, probably starting by telling her parents the whole saga and hoping that they at least take her side when the lovely aunt inevitably tells everyone she knows how lazy and greedy her niece is. (She may already have.)

Also this:

LGD posted:

at least she's learning practical job and life skills while she's in school

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I just need you to tell me that reddit was on the artist’s side on these things and that they stuck to their guns.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

She should call her uncle and tell him what a bitch the woman he married is. He'll probably agree.

E: ^^ No sane person would side with the aunt. She's a huge bitch.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 28, 2018

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Me [32 M] with my wife [33 F] married 6 years, We invested a large amount in crypto. Lost large amount in unrealized gains. My fault?

quote:

My wife inherited a large sum of money from her family, we will say $400,000. We invested some of the money in index funds and put some into our mortgage. During the cryptocurrency craze in December we decided to invest 20% of the money in various cryptocurrencies. The value gained alot, but we never took out profit. At its peak it had gained about 6x in value, we had set a goal to sell half or all at this value, but we were out of town and did not get a chance. When we got back to town the value had lowered some, but we decided to wait and try to get back to 6x. In summary we both got greedy, multiple times we both said it is a good idea to sell either half, profit, or all. Each time it didn't happen, because we set an unrealistic goal, or decided to wait. I feel like I was more optimistic in the downturn than she was, which resulted in more money lost. Ulitmately decisions needed to be made by my wife, since it was her money.

Our investment is currently 2.3x originally value, so we still have some profit if we sell it now. However, my wife is very upset because we could have made more money. I failed to followup after work one-day when she mentioned selling it during work and I said we could discuss that night, value was around 4x at that time. I didn't intentionally forget to followup, but I easily forget things. I also made mistakes of being overly optimistic an wanting to get back to the 6x value, she asked me what to do and I would say just wait or I am not sure.

Currently my wife is very upset at me because I told her to wait and we didn't take profit when it was higher. I completly agree that I was over optimistic and should have not been so greedy. I am still optimistic, but believe it could take a long time to gain a significant amount again. We are planning to take out the money soon. The problem is that my wife is putting the full responsibility on me since I did not agree with her to sell or push her myself. She is also mad because she says I don't care about her inheritance money. I do care about the money, but felt it was hers so she should have taken the lead. She is saying I need to make up the money and sell from my 401k to give her or comeup with a way to get money quickly. She is asking me to promise to make it up and for me to take full responsiblity.

What should I do to help resolve this issue? Should I be on the hook for $60k she is asking for? Is it normal for her to expect me to have some big makeup? Or am I really selfish and not giving enough thought into her money?

TLDR: Wife invested large sum of inheritance in crypto. We made 6x in value, but never sold any. Now it is only 2.3x in value. I did not push her to sell and told her I expected it to go up. Wife wants me to makeup for this issue by paying her $60k or in some other way.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Palpek posted:

Me [32 M] with my wife [33 F] married 6 years, We invested a large amount in crypto. Lost large amount in unrealized gains. My fault?
Crypto people fixate on the profits they could have had(or imaginary future profits) instead of how likely it is their shitcoins will crash and leave them with nothing. Also water is wet.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

VanSandman posted:

I just need you to tell me that reddit was on the artist’s side on these things and that they stuck to their guns.

Everyone was thankfully agreeing with OP. They were making the point that she needs to get ahead of the story and do damage control ASAP, before the aunt has the chance to twist the narrative into entitled millennials or something.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Palpek posted:

2.3x in a handful of months is real good just sell, idiots, and also divorce your wife if she keeps being a sour sally. How do you "owe" her 60k. If you divorce her right now you'll get half of that inheritance because it went into joint accounts.

Crypto is a drat ponzi scheme so the actual collapse is always coming. You don't want to hold crypto.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 28, 2018

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Palpek posted:

what the hell.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
That would be a lot easier to swallow if you could get your wife to understand that the initial investment was as good as burning the money.

Also, rapist dude is a real chump for not being able to keep control of a vehicle with the parking brake suddenly applied. Glad it worked out for our intrepid OP.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Khorne posted:

2.3x in a handful of months is real good just sell, idiots, and also divorce your wife if she keeps being a sour sally. How do you "owe" her 60k. If you divorce her right now you'll get half of that inheritance because it went into joint accounts.

Crypto is a drat ponzi scheme so the actual collapse is always coming. You don't want to hold crypto.

Depending on how recent the inheritance is (it seems quite recent in this case), a pretty strong case could be made to a divorce court not to split that money down the middle. Very much depends on each of their incomes, assets and situation.

But yes, crypto greed is real and pretty destructive.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'd say they found eachother. They shouldn't divorce, they're perfect.

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
I'm honestly surprised that there was a post about crypto where it's not the husband taking crazy pills, but the wife.

Mind you, cryptocurrency is still hella dumb. But even though it was her inheritance, they invested together and still made money, together. Asking him to cash out his 401k to make up for not making more money is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Me [26 F] with my boyfriend [24 M] duration, had a female coworker sleep over while I was out of town.

This past weekend I was out of town visiting my parents in another state. I left after work on Thursday night. Thursday morning my boyfriend and I got into a fight which left me questioning the longevity of our relationship on the basis of lack of intimacy on his part (non-sexual intimacy) and my needs not being met. We have been having bad issues for about a month. We spoke on the phone Thursday night while I was at the airport, and although on rocky terms we were together.

Friday night I send him about 5 messages in a row. I received nothing in return until 1 am when he says he is out with coworkers. At 2:30 am I receive 3 messages stating he had a hectic night and a coworker was crashing on the couch. In the morning I asked if it was a specific female coworker, and he said yes.

Pause for back story. He has a female coworker who was previously an intern. She just turned 21 about a month ago, and she sounds wild... especially with men. He has told me multiple stories about her going to older male coworker's houses and drinking and unplanned intimate encounters occurring. It is a pattern that I've heard multiple times. He knows my feelings on this, and as a female in a male dominated industry, I would never engage with male coworkers that way. I found it very immature and unprofessional. I also know that they text and snap chat one another.

Well it was this girl who slept at the house that I own, and he rents. I replied with WTF. We had a long debate how I thought this wasn't okay, and he argued it was entirely platonic. He never gave me a heads up that this was a plan, and he made it seem as if she was too drunk/ubers were too expensive to get home. The next day after more texts I find out that this was planned on Thursday ahead of time, and he never asked or told me. Now I just thought she met him and others at the bar and crashed on my couch.

Monday I get home, and I decided to check my outdoor security camera footage. This is when I learned she came over alone around 6:30 pm with overnight bags, they leave together for dinner around 7 pm (he claims they met other coworkers out), and returned together at 1:30 am, an entire hour before I receive messages from him. She then leaves at 8:30 am with her overnight bags and drives off in her car parked on the street. The whole thing was clearly premeditated.

When they returned at 1:30 am, she gets out of the uber, and as he gets out he grabs her arm, appears to touch her mid back, and links arms as they walk to our front gate. I would never touch a male coworker this way. I'm furious. I take screen caps and send them to him and dump him on the spot.

I have no idea what happens indoors, he claims it was nothing sexual. In my opinion touching her back that way is sexual, and since he lied and wasn't up front in the beginning, along with the reputation and impression I have of this girl, I trust nothing. Then he gives my number to her, and she tries to tell me it's platonic. I don't really care what she says.

He thinks I'm overreacting and accusing him of cheating when he didn't. He says she just asked on Thursday if she could spend the night and he agreed to help her out. I think it's wildly inappropriate, and he would have known I wouldn't be okay with this and so he didn't tell me until after the fact. Even if nothing happens, just the fact they planned this while I was out of town and seeing him touch her arm and back that way makes me sick. I want to believe I should stand by my decision, but he claims it's not fair to throw this all away when they didn't have sex. It just feels like such a premeditated violation of my trust, and I feel sick.

tl;dr my boyfriend had a young female coworker with a reputation of sleeping with other male coworkers to our house for a sleepover without informing me ahead of time. he says nothing happened, but the lack of honesty and security footage prompted me to dump him.