Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Adam Nimoy, son of the late “Star Trek” icon Leonard Nimoy, and “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” actress Terry Farrell married on Monday, on what would’ve been Leonard Nimoy’s 87th birthday.

Huh. Well, live long and prosper, nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Going back to Jadzia chat:

I haven't watched DS9 since it aired but I pick up the occasional episode on youtube. I think Jadzia didn't work because they didn't know what her character was suppose to be. It kinda formed around when Worf came about but this is problematic within a modern context. Jadzia should of been the ideal Starfleet officer, who embodies the curiosity, openness, and intellect. She comes across with Worf as eager to learn and loving life but it rarely comes across in the early episodes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Going back to Jadzia chat:

I haven't watched DS9 since it aired but I pick up the occasional episode on youtube. I think Jadzia didn't work because they didn't know what her character was suppose to be. It kinda formed around when Worf came about but this is problematic within a modern context. Jadzia should of been the ideal Starfleet officer, who embodies the curiosity, openness, and intellect. She comes across with Worf as eager to learn and loving life but it rarely comes across in the early episodes.

They never really find a character for her. Early on, it's "old being in hot young body being mentor to Sisko and Bashir badly wants her," which got old very quickly. Then it became "spunky young science officer wise beyond her years," which also got old very quickly, so they added in "Klingon weeaboo." And then it became "Worf's love interest," which is where she was stuck for the rest of her time on the show. She was really just a cipher for her entire run, used as a device for whatever the writers needed at any given time.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Wise 800 year old yoda worm who also impulsively falls in love with phase-planet alien in like an hour

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

The Bloop posted:

Wise 800 year old yoda worm who also impulsively falls in love with phase-planet alien in like an hour

According to Dax in that same episode Curzon fell in love every week with someone new. Sisko is trying to convince Jadzia that she is making a hasty decision. She uses the fact that she never does anything interesting or important, or chase after people, as proof that she knows the gravity of the situation.

So maybe symbionts love to fuuuuuuuck

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

They don't need human hosts at all, in fact. They just want gently caress avatars

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think both Terry Farrel and Nana Visitor agree that Jadzia Dax and Kira should have hooked up and left Odo and Worf to keep being weird loners.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kibayasu posted:

I think both Terry Farrel and Nana Visitor agree that Jadzia Dax and Kira should have hooked up and left Odo and Worf to keep being weird loners.

I'm always in favor of more LGBT characters, but I don't know if I'd say those two had chemistry. Only character I thought Jadzia really had chemistry with was Sisko.

No shame in liking your men like you like your beer: dark and strong.

Much as I like her, I was never sold on any of Kira's love interests throughout DS9. I think she strikes me as being much too married to the job.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think it was mostly a little joke they had but closer to the start of the series they were doing things together, just usually off screen.

And Dax has plenty of chemistry with Lieutenant Atoa :heysexy:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Brawnfire posted:

They don't need human hosts at all, in fact. They just want gently caress avatars

When you're an immortal worm parasite, pretty much anybody you have sex with is going to be, from your perspective, horribly short lived and going to die soon, so why take your relationships with them that seriously. It's like having a goldfish...a sentient goldfish you gently caress....ok, so maybe the analogy runs down a little bit there.

It actually reminds me a little bit of this background conversation in one of the stores in Mass Effect. This salarian (sentient salamander, has a life span of about 40) is trying to buy a souvenir for his wife, an asari (monogendered race presenting as female, live for millenia) and it turns out the reason he's so obsessed with the perfect gift is that he knows she'll live so much longer than he will, and is terrified she'll forget him. Oddly wnough, best dialogue in the game, in my opinion.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Are there any actual LGBT characters in Trek? I mean clearly Bones and Kirk wanted to gently caress / hosed in college. But any real forthright gay characters?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Windows 98 posted:

Are there any actual LGBT characters in Trek? I mean clearly Bones and Kirk wanted to gently caress / hosed in college. But any real forthright gay characters?
Two are on Discovery

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

Two are on Discovery

were

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

Two are on Discovery

Well, were, at least. But the lack of canonical gay characters on pre-Discovery Star Trek, with the possible exception of bisexual mirror universe Kira, was a pretty big point of contention among the fans (and the cast, actually. A lot of the TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise cast pushed for hay characters, but they got shot down by a homophobic Rich Berman, who pretty much said there were no gays in the future.)

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 28, 2018

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Dax is effectively bi. I mean, it night be more accurate to say that Dax's alien sexuality is beyond the scope of human categorization, but still.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Riker is DTF in non-heteronormative ways

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Pakled posted:

Dax is effectively bi. I mean, it night be more accurate to say that Dax's alien sexuality is beyond the scope of human categorization, but still.

Dax is an alien worm thing, but as for Jadzia, she seems to only be attracted to men. The one woman she shows any attraction to at all is somebody who's previous female host was married to Dax's previous male host. They used the whole episode as a homosexuality/homophobia analogue, but I don't know that it makes Jadzia explicitly bisexual.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Riker is definitely in the "it's a whole universe out there, time to boldly go where no man has gone before" category.

Trying to narrow down a joined Trill's sexuality is just gonna give us all headaches so I'll abstain.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cythereal posted:

I'm always in favor of more LGBT characters, but I don't know if I'd say those two had chemistry. Only character I thought Jadzia really had chemistry with was Sisko.

No shame in liking your men like you like your beer: dark and strong.

Much as I like her, I was never sold on any of Kira's love interests throughout DS9. I think she strikes me as being much too married to the job.

kira had some real good chemistry with o'brien. they could really relate over their shared experiences of killing spoonheads

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kazinsal posted:

Riker is definitely in the "it's a whole universe out there, time to boldly go where no man has gone before" category.

The actors for Bashir, Garak, Seven of Nine, and Reed also all claimed that they played the characters as bisexual.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lt. Hawk in First Contact was written as gay but Berman struck it.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Gates McFadden also tried to change the ending of "The Host", the TNG episode that introduced the Trill, but that got quashed, supposedly by Berman. If you don't remember The Host, the plot is basically:

Dr. Crusher falls in love with Odan, an ambassador who's from this new species, the Trill. She finds out his secret; that the Trill are really these worms that live inside the humanoid species on their home planet, and take over their bodies. She's a little, "Hmm", then decides, "You know what? I love you, even if you are a mind controlling worm in a meat puppet." Then the body dies, and they have to put the worm in Commander Riker so that Odan can continue his important negotiations. Odan/Riker, though, still is crushing on Dr. Crusher. She's like, "Well, this is kind of weird, you know, cause it's Commander Riker, but i guess he IS pretty hot, and it's still Odan, so what the hell!" Then, Riker's body starts to reject Odan, and they have to rush a new host in, or else both Riker and Odan will die. So, they do, and it's a woman. Dr. Crusher then says, basically, "Well, I could deal with dating a mind worm who was controlling the body of my friend, colleague, and immediate superior, but a lady dating a lady? Well, that's weird, and human beings can't deal with that!"

Anyway, McFadden didn't like the ending saying basically, "You're basically saying that lesbians are worse than parasitic worms. I don't think Dr. Crusher would say or feel something like that. It's homophobic, I don't have any problem with lesbians or lesbian relationships, and it makes me uncomfortable as an actor playing a sympathetic, heroic character to say. Their answer was "Shut up and read the lines."

Here's the actual ending, btw. Kareel is the new Odan host.

quote:

KAREEL
Is there to be nothing more?

Beverly runs her hand through her hair, exhausted.

BEVERLY
Perhaps it is a human failing...
but we are not accustomed to
these kinds of changes. I
can't... keep up. How long will
you have this host? What
would the next one be? I
couldn't live with that kind of
uncertainty...

Kareel looks at her with sorrow.

BEVERLY
Perhaps... someday... our ability
to love will not be so limited.

KAREEL
I understand.

Kareel rises and starts for the door.

BEVERLY
Odan...

Kareel turns back.

BEVERLY
I do love you... please remember
that.

Kareel's smile is full of sadness and longing... and
love. She goes to Beverly, takes her wrist.

KAREEL
I will never forget you.

And she kisses the inside of Beverly's wrist.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Epicurius posted:

Gates McFadden also tried to change the ending of "The Host", the TNG episode that introduced the Trill, but that got quashed, supposedly by Berman. If you don't remember The Host, the plot is basically:

Dr. Crusher falls in love with Odan, an ambassador who's from this new species, the Trill. She finds out his secret; that the Trill are really these worms that live inside the humanoid species on their home planet, and take over their bodies. She's a little, "Hmm", then decides, "You know what? I love you, even if you are a mind controlling worm in a meat puppet." Then the body dies, and they have to put the worm in Commander Riker so that Odan can continue his important negotiations. Odan/Riker, though, still is crushing on Dr. Crusher. She's like, "Well, this is kind of weird, you know, cause it's Commander Riker, but i guess he IS pretty hot, and it's still Odan, so what the hell!" Then, Riker's body starts to reject Odan, and they have to rush a new host in, or else both Riker and Odan will die. So, they do, and it's a woman. Dr. Crusher then says, basically, "Well, I could deal with dating a mind worm who was controlling the body of my friend, colleague, and immediate superior, but a lady dating a lady? Well, that's weird, and human beings can't deal with that!"

Anyway, McFadden didn't like the ending saying basically, "You're basically saying that lesbians are worse than parasitic worms. I don't think Dr. Crusher would say or feel something like that. It's homophobic, I don't have any problem with lesbians or lesbian relationships, and it makes me uncomfortable as an actor playing a sympathetic, heroic character to say. Their answer was "Shut up and read the lines."

Here's the actual ending, btw. Kareel is the new Odan host.

Perhaps... someday... we'll be gay

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Epicurius posted:

Well, were, at least. But the lack of canonical gay characters on pre-Discovery Star Trek, with the possible exception of bisexual mirror universe Kira, was a pretty big point of contention among the fans (and the cast, actually. A lot of the TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise cast pushed for hay characters, but they got shot down by a homophobic Rich Berman, who pretty much said there were no gays in the future.)
I was trying to avoid spoilers for those that hadn't watched yet, but w/e

I didn't realize the 'Lt Hawk was written as gay' was a thing, but in the novels they do say that outright, as his partner works security on the Enterprise and later becomes more of a character in the Titan novels.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FabioClone posted:

To Frakes' everlasting credit, he wanted to have the character Riker romanced from the agender species to be played by a man.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

I was trying to avoid spoilers for those that hadn't watched yet, but w/e

Oops. Sorry. I can spoil my post if you'll spoil my quote.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Nessus posted:

To Frakes' everlasting credit, he wanted to have the character Riker romanced from the agender species to be played by a man.

It's in character. Riker would gently caress a frog if he could stop it hopping long enough. Remember his ' I'm getting a chub on' expression when Data's experimenting with ruining women's lives and he says " that's what I'm hoping you find out😆"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

FabioClone posted:

BEVERLY
Perhaps... someday... our ability
to love will not be so limited. But
here in the 1980s, there are no
gay people.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Epicurius posted:

To be fair though, if Beverly isn't attracted to women she isn't attracted to women.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mooseontheloose posted:

To be fair though, if Beverly isn't attracted to women she isn't attracted to women.

Sure, but the whole point of that episode is that she loves the worm, not the host.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Oh no Sisko grew a beard

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Windows 98 posted:

Oh no Sisko grew a beard

Actually it is bad news......

for The Dominion!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Windows 98 posted:

Oh no Sisko grew a beard

Sisko's hair is just beginning its mid-life migration south.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Bearded Sisko owns but he does look a little weird in the transition before he shaves up top

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Leave Beard Sisko is great. He's just so happy to have some time off to hang out with his son and travel through space in a balsa wood pod.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sure, but the whole point of that episode is that she loves the worm, not the host.

That still doesn't mean she's physically attracted to lady bodies

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Since we're talking about how much Star Trek producers suck AND Sisko's hair reminder that the reason Sisko started with head hair and no goatee was because the higher-ups thought he would look too much like a scary black man with them.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Kibayasu posted:

Since we're talking about how much Star Trek producers suck AND Sisko's hair reminder that the reason Sisko started with head hair and no goatee was because the higher-ups thought he would look too much like a scary black man with them.

I think it was more that they didn't want him to look too similar to his character in Spenser: For Hire for which he was best-known at that point.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I assume the worst story I hear about Ricks is the true one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I read it was because TNG was still on the air and the higher ups just thought it would be weird to have two bald captains on TV at the same time.