Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Cessna posted:

That poor Terminator looks sad. I can practically hear the sad trombone noise.

That's one of the old Space Hulk librarians, so it basically is sad trombone made flesh, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

One_Wing posted:

FWIW I’d still keep your outrider detachment Saim Hann - the relic and strategem are just too good.

Oh yeah, totally. I really like that force actually. I'd actually try to fit more Scatter bikes if I could.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Ugh... its all so cool...

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

I've been weirdly tempted to pick up another Dark Imperium box recently and start painting some Ultramarines and looking at the pictures of your stuff I'm pretty sure it's mostly your fault. It's always a joy to see you post your models, although I'm certainly sorry to see you grow increasingly disillusioned with 8th.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

This is so cool but would be such a pain in the rear end to transport

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
So do we want to do a similar small scale, fully painted with lots of effort put in ViV or similar event for Hamslam 2018?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Saturday and Sunday
These two days are largely taken up by the Team Tournament, Awards, and tear down. We began by getting our costumes on for the team tournament, checked our lists, and then headed to the check-in at the judges.

I had convinced my teammates to go in on an Ultramarines themed team where we even poured wine for our opponents over the two day event. This is where the impressive displays come out of the wood work. Some of this poo poo is mind blowing in the level of effort included.

Over the 2 days we played in 5 separate matches coming out 3-2 with a 7-3 overall win/loss record, which was better than we thought we would do. The details of the games aren’t very exciting, but we got a lot of compliments on our idea, and were even selected to play on the WarhammerTV live stream, which we were loving stoked about.

Our performance failed to gain us any awards despite thinking we might have a shot at the SPIRIT award, which usually goes to care-free types in costumes, but maybe they figured being selected for the live stream was an award in itself.

After the Awards were given out most of the other Goons had left by that point, and I helped in the tear down to ensure early sign-up for next year, and then joined The Sex Cannon at an end of event party where we drunkenly sang for hours and I got to talk with Duncan Rhodes for a good 30-45 minutes, which frankly just capped off one of the most enjoyable weekends of my life. The next morning TheSexCannon and I had breakfast with Carl from the Independent Characters Podcast, said our goodbyes, and I hit the road.

MORE PICTURES!

Sexy Primaris Marines

Helsreach models.

Our humble display.

This gangs versus Arbites display won the display award. This picture doesn’t begin to do it justice.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Seems like it might be a little difficult to get through Adepticon without getting at least a little tipsy.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

The Sex Cannon posted:

Game three - Dave's Imperial Fists - W
I was very excited to take part in this battle as he had mostly all-primaris Imperial fists. Instead of listing everything, I think you all can glean what was on the battlefield from this picture:

Since I didn't take any vehicles, I ended up with a lot more shots than he did. When his Redemptor and Repulsor got close enough for the Hellblasters to open up, they did, getting rid of both in successive turns. After that, he was kinda out of the fight as my guys seriously outnumbered him. However, he was a super nice guy and I'd totally play him again!

Did you at least kill his SCVs?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Space marines are at a disadvantage in Tournies?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

The Sex Cannon posted:

Game one - Oleg's Catachans - W
The first thing Oleg does as we meet at the table is hand me a 100 mL mini barrel of Neft Vodka. It's 9 AM, so I immediately slam it back and almost vomit. He hands me another and I manage to go get some cranberry juice to mix it before drinking this one. Oleg's army was insane. It's all heavily, heavily converted to look like jungle dudes in dense camo. I don't remember everything he had but he had a Deathstrike with a real, live, potted Venus Fly Trap in place of the big missile.

I laughed at the vodka, but I howled at the Deathstrike. Jesus Christ.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Space marines are at a disadvantage in Tournies?

They were the first codex out and they're suffering for it. Most of their stuff is overpriced, and their stratagems and tactics mostly suck compared to the much more creative and powerful stuff which came in later books.

Uroboros, great write-up. Makes me want to get to Adepticon sometime although I imagine that a transatlantic trip for 40k would stretch my wife's patience past breaking point.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

who wants to drink Busch Light with me at LVO?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

panascope posted:

who wants to drink Busch Light with me at LVO?

But only to a little tipsy.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
God dammit, im reaching that point where im looking back at the first units i painted for this army and noticing how much worse they are.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Artum posted:

God dammit, im reaching that point where im looking back at the first units i painted for this army and noticing how much worse they are.

I am feeling the same way, I've started basing Sisters and noticed how much better they all look with highlights and other stuff but damnit, I'm so close to being done the army and I just wanna play!

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Cainer posted:

I am feeling the same way, I've started basing Sisters and noticed how much better they all look with highlights and other stuff but damnit, I'm so close to being done the army and I just wanna play!

I'm finally reaching the point where everything im fielding is painted (just need to highlight/badge/tidy scouts) and i was going back to apply gloss where i'd been dragging my heels and im REALLY noticing it now.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Neurolimal posted:

Some drat nice Proportionis Marines there, kudos.

Also, while looking up those primaris units on GIS I found this pic, which is worth sharing:

Gravis Captain and a super vintage Terminator done up in equal quality paint. The termie looks almost chibi :3:

2E Ultras Best Ultras.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Uroboros posted:

This gangs versus Arbites display won the display award. This picture doesn’t begin to do it justice.

Blood Bowl torsos for the Arbites?

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Most of those are full Blood Bowl models with new heads and hands

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Uroboros how do you like those tablescapes tiles? I'm thinking of getting a set after playing on Hixson's FW tiles this weekend

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Holy poo poo, I need some blood bowl humans and admech heads.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Corrode posted:

They were the first codex out and they're suffering for it. Most of their stuff is overpriced, and their stratagems and tactics mostly suck compared to the much more creative and powerful stuff which came in later books.

Uroboros, great write-up. Makes me want to get to Adepticon sometime although I imagine that a transatlantic trip for 40k would stretch my wife's patience past breaking point.

Bring her with. Tell her Chicago is at least as cool as newshirewick or wherever the hell I'm going in the fall to see your lovely island.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Man they really don't want anyone playing Fallen, do they?

No usable strategems and Cypher specifically gets no warlord ability. Imperial allies could be fun, but yikes.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

moths posted:

Man they really don't want anyone playing Fallen, do they?

No usable strategems and Cypher specifically gets no warlord ability. Imperial allies could be fun, but yikes.

I really really like the idea of Cypher and his Fallen (and the models are p. v. deece) but you're right, it's really hard to find any actual use for them, other than using Cypher as a Sgt. and the Fallen as LotDs?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 28, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I imagine that Fallen would be something they approach after they get all the big factions their codexes, especially since they still haven't entirely decided what they even want to do with them. As-is they're "really tame chaos marines" "blackshields that get hunted down" or "the secret good guys".

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The Fallen are just Loyalist Dark Angels, right?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Eifert Posting posted:

The Fallen are just Loyalist Dark Angels, right?

No. :tinfoil:

:ninja: Yes. :ninja:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If you follow Cypher's story so far then it's pretty clear that he's a good guy, and considering that "constantly kills other marines to keep their prison of tortured Fallen secret" has been a big aspect of the dangles for about as long as they've existed they're either chaos marines in deep cover, marines that have gone so far up their asses with the Fallen that they're basically chaos marines, or Luther's traitors from when the dangles had a civil war

The real question is "when will GW actually put this into action". Old GW I'd say never, but New GW seem willing to do spicy story progression.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

If you follow Cypher's story so far then it's pretty clear that he's a good guy, and considering that "constantly kills other marines to keep their prison of tortured Fallen secret" has been a big aspect of the dangles for about as long as they've existed they're either chaos marines in deep cover, marines that have gone so far up their asses with the Fallen that they're basically chaos marines, or Luther's traitors from when the dangles had a civil war

The real question is "when will GW actually put this into action". Old GW I'd say never, but New GW seem willing to do spicy story progression.

They're pretty obviously going to do some event style releases after all the books are done, and I'm looking forward to it!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
New-Cypher and the Fallen kit are recent enough to make the Primarii "larger than us but not literally making us look like Scrunts" right?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
As great as it would be from a story perspective there is a zero percent chance they’ll pull something like The Lion secretly being a traitor or whatever. Completely alienating fans who have spent hundreds of dollars on an army by fundamentally changing its very concept is almost unthinkably stupid.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pendent posted:

As great as it would be from a story perspective there is a zero percent chance they’ll pull something like The Lion secretly being a traitor or whatever. Completely alienating fans who have spent hundreds of dollars on an army by fundamentally changing its very concept is almost unthinkably stupid.

We already said Cypher was a Loyalist though?

The joke I'm making here is that Cypher is the Lion, an assertion I have no textual evidence for, but one that sets off Dangles players like nothing else.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Not to change the subject too much but does anyone know of any cool tournaments that are at least reasonably close to Oregon this year? All the talk about AdeptiCon and LVO has me sort of curious to try one if I don’t have to travel too far.

Edit: I guess I’m looking more for a convention along with the tournament and I honestly don’t see a lot over here on the west coast

Pendent fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 28, 2018

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Pendent posted:

Not like they did with the Alpha legion, am i rite?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Booley posted:

Toxic 30k PNW krew played some tactical strike yesterday. I let everyone down by having one half-painted terrain piece, otherwise everything was painted.

Is this with a custom set of rules?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

Not like they did with the Alpha legion, am i rite?

I'm actually pretty curious about what you mean by this. As far as I know they've always been at least nominally chaos followers in the fluff, albeit with their own motives and agenda. I'm not aware of anything to contradict this but I'd be interested to hear if I'm wrong.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Pendent posted:

I have more than 5000 points of dork angles and the lion is 100% a traitor.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

He's worse than a traitor.

He's a coward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Somehow it makes the Lion seem like an incredible loser to have him betray the imperium but also receive zero material benefit for doing so, unlike the other traitor primarchs.