Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Schadenboner posted:

I came up with this, still have 19 points to spend. I figure that the Techmarine hangs out with the LC Razorbacks and the Predator?

code:
++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Dark Angels) [48 PL, 680pts] ++

+ HQ +
Master [5 PL, 77pts]: Chainsword, Master-crafted boltgun
Techmarine [4 PL, 57pts]: Bolt pistol, Chainsword, Servo-arm

+ Troops +
3x Scout Squad [8 PL, 66pts]:
	Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Chainsword
	5x Scout (Combat Knife)

+ Dedicated Transport +
3x Razorback [5 PL, 116pts]: Storm bolter, Twin assault cannon

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Dark Angels) [40 PL, 801pts] ++

+ HQ +
Master [5 PL, 77pts]: Chainsword, Master-crafted boltgun

+ Heavy Support +
2x Devastators [8 PL, 149pts]
	Space Marine Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Boltgun
	4x Space Marine (Plasma Cannon): 4x Plasma cannon

Predator [9 PL, 182pts]: Predator autocannon, Storm bolter
Two lascannons: 2x Lascannon

+ Dedicated Transport +
2x Razorback [5 PL, 122pts]: Storm bolter, Twin lascannon

++ Total: [88 PL, 1481pts] ++

Dark angels fire bases need Lieutenants more than masters because of grim resolve, you definitely don't want 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
I am a huge fan of the new edgy space elf rules.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

LifeLynx posted:

I found the perfect Necron alternate heads - and they're GW! The Immortals Deathmark heads:

Anyone have these around?

I don't know that anyone has them here but check out people in your area who just bought Forgebane - even if they want the Immortals, there's every chance they'll have the Deathmark heads going spare.

Zasze posted:

They seem to be having a blast with this codex's rules, its got alot more substance to it compared to some of the more boring dry ones.

Yeah this and Necrons are really showing some good stuff, it's way more creative than what they were doing early in the edition.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Neurolimal posted:

The mortarion-esque obsession over using Chaos (luther's rambling) to fight Chaos and the Watchers appearing are part of why I lean towards the "Dangles arent traitors, but their paranoid obsession over the Fallen and hiding them has/will cause them to unwittingly become chaos marines".

High command, or at least Azreal, is aware of this slope as well, and ruminates on it fairly often. So at the very least if there is a line to be crossed they shouldn't be doing it unknowingly, and it would be interested to see how much of the Unforgiven would go with them.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
How likely are wrack units to survive a turn? Black Cornucopia looks like it could be pretty huge if wracks are enough of a threat & distraction to be worth double-deep striking them with a full unit heal.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Artum posted:

Dark angels fire bases need Lieutenants more than masters because of grim resolve, you definitely don't want 2.

Good point. Swapping in Louies for Masters has me at 1453. Maybe an attack bike or some sw8 wheels for the Techmarine?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Boon posted:

Uroboros, I would definitely look to things like the Roman Forum or Athenian Acropolis for some inspiration. A large Arc de Truimph would be pretty sweet. Statues are a must.

Also, go watch/rewatch HBO's Rome. If you're going to read scrolls of the army list you're definitely going to need a box from which to stand above the mob Citizens of the Republic Imperium. :haw:

I love this idea. I’ll add it to the list.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Schadenboner posted:

Good point. Swapping in Louies for Masters has me at 1453. Maybe an attack bike or some sw8 wheels for the Techmarine?
Your tanks dont get grim resolve so you probably want 1 master still, see if you can finangle that somehow.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

Yeah, you want 1 master still, and then possibly fill out any remaining points with either hunter killers on tanks or heavy bolters on the scouts.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Artum posted:

Your tanks dont get grim resolve so you probably want 1 master still, see if you can finangle that somehow.

I could trade the Techmarine for a Master and have 27 points left to play with. That could go as high as 39 points (by stripping Storm bolters from the vehicles), then I could get them each a Combi-Plas (39 + 9 from "selling back" the MC Boltguns they each start with) and be at 1497.

Maybe buy back the Predator's Storm bolter and end up at 1499?

:shrug:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 28, 2018

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Neurolimal posted:

How likely are wrack units to survive a turn? Black Cornucopia looks like it could be pretty huge if wracks are enough of a threat & distraction to be worth double-deep striking them with a full unit heal.

Before the added toughness and increased invuln they were fairly likely, now they're all but guaranteed unless the enemy pours in everything they have and maybe that won't be enough.

Another good showing. Not as flashy as Kabal but it's a smaller force with fewer options.

The Sex Cannon posted:

I am a huge fan of the new edgy space elf rules.

They're knocking it out of the park

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Corrode posted:

Yeah this and Necrons are really showing some good stuff, it's way more creative than what they were doing early in the edition.

I gotta love how prophetic this meme was:

The tau codex is entirely functional but even the previews were boring as gently caress, it feels like a codex written way earlier in the cycle.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Schadenboner posted:

I could trade the Techmarine for a Master and have 27 points left to play with. That could go as high as 39 points (by stripping Storm bolters from the vehicles), then I could get them each a Combi-Plas (39 + 9 from "selling back" the MC Boltguns they each start with) be at 1497.

Maybe buy back the Predator's Storm bolter and end up at 1499?

:shrug:

I'd probably go with a Primaris Master with MC Auto Bolt Rifle and Heavenfall Blade, just to run interference for any deep strikers trying to tie up your tanks.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
I really hope genestealer cults get anything near this cool.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'd probably go with a Primaris Master with MC Auto Bolt Rifle and Heavenfall Blade, just to run interference for any deep strikers trying to tie up your tanks.

I dunno, regular and primarii look funny all mixed in together is all.

:spergin:

E: Although, how are DA for Primaris? I'm only really looking to buy a few DAs to complement the Guard so I'm ultimately indifferent on the Chads/Non-Chads question, I just think they look weird together.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
If orks get a codex on par with what the Drukhari previews are teasing, i'll be incredibly happy. Otherwise i may plan on selling them in favor of expanding my new Necron force.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

Solution: styrene and greenstuff, make Marine platform shoes.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

R0ckfish posted:

The tau codex is entirely functional but even the previews were boring as gently caress, it feels like a codex written way earlier in the cycle.

To be fair, Tau are boring as gently caress.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Schadenboner posted:

E: Although, how are DA for Primaris? I'm only really looking to buy a few DAs to complement the Guard so I'm ultimately indifferent on the Chads/Non-Chads question, I just think they look weird together.

Hellblasters are great for DA with native re-roll 1s and the 3 dmg stratagem.

R0ckfish posted:

I gotta love how prophetic this meme was:

Tau deserve it. And possibly it was.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Jumpoff posted:

If orks get a codex on par with what the Drukhari previews are teasing, i'll be incredibly happy. Otherwise i may plan on selling them in favor of expanding my new Necron force.

Solution: found? :shrug:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Corrode posted:

Hellblasters are great for DA with native re-roll 1s and the 3 dmg stratagem.

Tau deserve it. And possibly it was.

They also have Zakariah McChadington the :smuggo: Louie.

E: Primaris can use heads and shoulders from regulars right?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

hooman posted:

Speaking of the fallen and the lore, it seems like every time the fallen are in trouble it's alpha legion bailing them out in my brief reading .

Is that a thing in the lore that points to maybe the fallen and alpha legion are actually loyalists, or is it just a coincidence of what I was reading today.

In HH fluff the alpha legion were given a prophecy about how the imperium would either succeed forever or fall to ruin because of their actions, and then they basically tried to split the difference by having Alpharius take half the legion to join Horus while Omegon took the other half to secretly help the Imperium. It all kind of fell apart and Omegon ended up murked but even the chaos marine alpha legion didn’t really fall to open worship of the dark gods like the other legions and the whole “ooooo were the puppetmasters!” schtick has them occasionally fighting on both sides of a war.

It’s very much a mirror of the dork angles Heresy storyline, and it fits with the angles staying with the imperium for now but likely tainted by chaos.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Oh man if they're having that much fun with Dark Eldar imagine how amazing the Ork codex will be.

Godammit why am I allowing myself to hope.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Schadenboner posted:

E: Primaris can use heads and shoulders from regulars right?

Yeah they're all exactly the same fit by design.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
They are killing it with those stratagems. Administer punishment

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

tallkidwithglasses posted:

In HH fluff the alpha legion were given a prophecy about how the imperium would either succeed forever or fall to ruin because of their actions, and then they basically tried to split the difference by having Alpharius take half the legion to join Horus while Omegon took the other half to secretly help the Imperium. It all kind of fell apart and Omegon ended up murked but even the chaos marine alpha legion didn’t really fall to open worship of the dark gods like the other legions and the whole “ooooo were the puppetmasters!” schtick has them occasionally fighting on both sides of a war.

It’s very much a mirror of the dork angles Heresy storyline, and it fits with the angles staying with the imperium for now but likely tainted by chaos.

Wasn't it Alpharius that got himself killed off with Omegon's later death at the hands of the Ultramarines being heavily implied to have been a fake?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

I found the perfect Necron alternate heads - and they're GW! The Immortals Deathmark heads:

Anyone have these around?

I have 5. Pm me if you want them.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Pendent posted:

Wasn't it Alpharius that got himself killed off with Omegon's later death at the hands of the Ultramarines being heavily implied to have been a fake?

Oh I think you’re right! Then Omegon started calling himself Alpharius so it all kind of comes out in the wash.

The “dark and terrible secret” legions are the best :v:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dorn chainsworded Alpharius to death (probably) during the Battle of Pluto

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
I'd definitely be behind the modern dark angels being literally all descendants of luthers men with the fallen being those of them who weren't sorry, that'd at least fit with them going to such extremes to cover up what happened.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Artum posted:

I'd definitely be behind the modern dark angels being literally all descendants of luthers men with the fallen being those of them who weren't sorry, that'd at least fit with them going to such extremes to cover up what happened.

The way I’ve read it is that the Lion basically tried to play his cards close to his chest until he could figure out who was going to win the Heresy- his loyalty was more to his legion and their survival than either side of the war. He then got confronted by Luther and the calibanites when he came back from Terra and they were pissed that a huge portion of the legion was available to fight for pretty much the entire war and wasn’t called to action. Civil war ensues, both Luther and the Lion end up knocked out, and the winning side (Lions men) clean things up as best they can while settling in for thousands of years of whispers from the watchers in the dark (likely daemons) and building pseudo-daemon weapons from great beasts (also likely daemons).

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Boon posted:

To be fair, Tau are boring as gently caress.

Is that not a failure of the rules designers? In lore they have a highly mobile and often close range or ambush combat style, and the FSE even have training with emphasis on hand to hand combat. Why not design them around high power short range weapons to encourage high risk high reward gameplay, sure you can use their strong long range guns but if there were more encouragement to use mobile in your face tactics rather then gun lines both players would be happier. They already have units like breachers (shotgun troops) and pulse blast cannon stormsurges (a gently caress off big shotgun on a LOW), why not go all in on that style of gameplay?

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
They’re also boring lore wise so it’s consistent. Custodes only more boring faction.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

R0ckfish posted:

Is that not a failure of the rules designers? In lore they have a highly mobile and often close range or ambush combat style, and the FSE even have training with emphasis on hand to hand combat. Why not design them around high power short range weapons to encourage high risk high reward gameplay, sure you can use their strong long range guns but if there were more encouragement to use mobile in your face tactics rather then gun lines both players would be happier. They already have units like breachers (shotgun troops) and pulse blast cannon stormsurges (a gently caress off big shotgun on a LOW), why not go all in on that style of gameplay?

So... Eldar then?

I mean, any army that is designed to ignore two phases of the game as a differentiating feature of the army is going to be by rule one-dimensional. That's why Kroot would be so loving awesome to flesh out.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It's even a problem on a meta level because if an army's main focus, to the exclusion of all others, is shooting and mobility, they'd be too good, since they're always the two defining factors of successful armies in 40k. Everything good is fast and shoots well.

So Tau have to be boring, because if they weren't, you end up with them being busted OP.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
It still loving sucks to be told, "hey, if your army was designed to be fun it would be OP so we are going to make it boring as gently caress instead. Oh and every player ever is going to bitch at you for liking them as well, kthxbye". I have been super into the idea of tau cause when I was a kid I loved the look of Tau in dawn of war and spent a long as time staring at the minis on the early 2000s website, and then when 8th was rearing up I finally had enough spare money to get the army I had wanted since I was a kid. Then it just straight ups sucks to be bitched at endlessly and being told that you deserve to have a boring army.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I feel like they should have held off on Tau for longer. They weren't in a bad spot pre-codex, and they desperately need more non-mech models to flesh the faction out.

I can't really fault the designers because they did the best they could with what they had. Mechs didnt need much in the way of buffs, non-tau subfactions are still undermodeled, people dont want to see more IG units so gue'vessa are out, and they did try with stuff like the Ethereal stratagems and Farsight gimmicks.

It kind of makes me wonder if they plan on releasing mini-codexes for subfactions in the future; Fallen, Kroot, Damned, Sisters, etc., that seems like what they're doing with Chaos at least.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 28, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

R0ckfish posted:

It still loving sucks to be told, "hey, if your army was designed to be fun it would be OP so we are going to make it boring as gently caress instead. Oh and every player ever is going to bitch at you for liking them as well, kthxbye". I have been super into the idea of tau cause when I was a kid I loved the look of Tau in dawn of war and spent a long as time staring at the minis on the early 2000s website, and then when 8th was rearing up I finally had enough spare money to get the army I had wanted since I was a kid. Then it just straight ups sucks to be bitched at endlessly and being told that you deserve to have a boring army.

Yeah....people get way too hostile towards Tau for not being grimdark enough.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Neurolimal posted:

Yeah....people get way too hostile towards Tau for not being grimdark enough.

gently caress man they might not be full on grim dark, but they are dark by modern standards. Just as an example, Fire caste that are not good enough straight up get vanished! That is before even getting into the eugenics and caste system stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I say Tau are boring, but in reality I really like Tau because they take some of the hate away from Eldar players :)