Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Tried it already, didn't help.

When you start the game, actually hit the enter key, and don't click on it or hit a controller button. This seems to have helped a lot of people having this issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Handsome Ralph posted:

Probably way behind, but I wanted to chime in that I'm running this game at high settings with a i5 2500k OC'd to 4.2ghz and a 970. It runs incredibly smooth and I've had no noticeable frame rate drops.

They did a really good job optimizing this game.

Yep. i7-3770 and a 980 and the framerate is smooth as hell with no drops at all with everything maxed at 1080. No motion blur cause who dos that.

Even with good specs all other FC games has lovely mouse acceleration that needed ini edits to fix, so they are definitely doing better with optimisation and PC tweaking.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yeah the game runs really well on PC, haven't seen it dip below ~45fps yet on 1440p everything Ultra with a 980ti. Big departure from AC Origins which I had to refund. Probably one of the prettiest games money can buy.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Red Mundus posted:

Anyone else noticed their difficulty randomly dropping to easy? It's happened to me twice now.

Yea, not sure what causes it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
"Grace under Fire", that's some grade-A bullshit mission.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Combat Pretzel posted:

That mission was hilarious for me and Morter.

I thought I had a great idea to have Dan the Rocket Man(rando RPG toting gun for hire) hang out in the eagle's nest with me and Grace while he was down below shotgunning mooks.

I made a grave( :haw: ) error in judgement when Dan immediately blew up one of the gravestones we were protecting so I put him in time out after that. :ohdear:

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Tumble posted:

They're projectile but they move realistically fast so they're pretty much hitscan until you're a few hundred meters away. No bullet penetration that I've seen so far, which is really starting to take me out of games a bit now. Let me shoot through thin walls for fucks sake! They spend so much time and effort making games look more real that they may as well make the guns behave somewhat more real as well.

I had a bullet penetrate a man's head and strike another man's head, so it exists!

e: How do I get Boomer in my loving pickup truck this is the least American game ever

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

black.lion posted:

I had a bullet penetrate a man's head and strike another man's head, so it exists!

e: How do I get Boomer in my loving pickup truck this is the least American game ever

I'm just such a fiend for a good proper wallbang that I really notice when it's not in games. Like why bother simulating ballistic drop if you can't even shoot through a thin wood wall?

Also animals not getting vehicles with you is a massive massive oversight. Peaches seems like she'd love car rides.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

I started the game for the first time, changed some settings, then tried to restart it and now it just crashes whenever I try to start the game.

Restarting the PC and verifying the files didn't help.
WTF.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Delete your config files.

Actually that does help but only once.

If I delete my config files i can start the game once but if I close it and try starting it again it crashes...until I remove the config files again.

I even tried playing through the intro, saving, then restarting, still a crash on launch.

EDIT: actually if I don't change any settings then the game doesn't crash anymore. I think one of the settings is probably causing is.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 28, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tumble posted:

I'm just such a fiend for a good proper wallbang that I really notice when it's not in games. Like why bother simulating ballistic drop if you can't even shoot through a thin wood wall?

Also animals not getting vehicles with you is a massive massive oversight. Peaches seems like she'd love car rides.

The fact you can see tagged enemies through walls makes the lack of penetration annoying. CoD4 had it in 2007, I don’t think it’s that hard to model.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

RichterIX posted:

known nazi Macklemore

Jon Hendren aka fart aka Doc Evil made fun of his nazi haircut last August and Macklemore himself replied "got rid of it over a year ago" haha

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Played it co-op on hard last night. There really aren't any good sight lines or cover. The enemies keep coming and the drat stone walls and tombstones block all but their heads.

Which are hard to hit from the church roof. The AR with the scope they offer is garbage, on both single and burst fire.

It took us about 4 or 5 tries. The last attempt both of us succumbed to the horde of flamethrowers. As we died I'm pretty sure I killed them with a daisy chain explosion. When we respawned we had beaten the mission.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The fact you can see tagged enemies through walls makes the lack of penetration annoying. CoD4 had it in 2007, I don’t think it’s that hard to model.

I mean the "difficulty" in this game (i'm playing on normal leave me alone i play games to relax not to excel) would be trivialized to an even greater degree if I could just sit in a bush and fire rounds through four walls a rock and a bear to knock out headshots on highlighted enemies. At least this way there's some motivation to consider your positioning and movement.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Also you can in fact lean in this, aim down sights near the edge of cover and you peak out a tiny bit. You'll know you're in lean mode when your guy faces his gun upward to draw it close to you.

black.lion posted:

I mean the "difficulty" in this game (i'm playing on normal leave me alone i play games to relax not to excel) would be trivialized to an even greater degree if I could just sit in a bush and fire rounds through four walls a rock and a bear to knock out headshots on highlighted enemies. At least this way there's some motivation to consider your positioning and movement.

What? Nobody means to let your gun shoot through rocks, just places it makes sense like wooden planks and thin metal walls and stuff.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 28, 2018

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Actually that does help but only once.

If I delete my config files i can start the game once but if I close it and try starting it again it crashes...until I remove the config files again.

I even tried playing through the intro, saving, then restarting, still a crash on launch.

EDIT: actually if I don't change any settings then the game doesn't crash anymore. I think one of the settings is probably causing is.

I think I figured it out.

Switching the game to Borderless mode seems to be causing the crashing. If I keep the setting at Fullscreen everything seems to be fine.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, seems you can't detonate them when they drop to the ground.

You can buy sticky C4 in the store, it works for both proximity and remote detonated. Sticky dynamite and TNT are available too. I think pipe bombs are the only combat item you can't find or make, VIPs and better clothed radio mooks can drop special ammo.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Probably way behind, but I wanted to chime in that I'm running this game at high settings with a i5 2500k OC'd to 4.2ghz and a 970. It runs incredibly smooth and I've had no noticeable frame rate drops.

They did a really good job optimizing this game.

It is really amazing that FC5 runs so smoothly and looks pretty good for a game not even close to 30 gb. The game feels like it has some mouse smoothing I can't deactivate and important sections of the UI scaled down too much compared to overly large and unimportant elements.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I've beaten it twice, once solo with basic guns and multiple shovels, the other in coop with the suppressed semi auto DMR rifle. That mission is a piece of cake with suppressed weapons and/or frequent cover switching. Then you wait for a technical to show up, shoot up the occupants and gun everything down with the turret mount. So long as you break line of sight, enemies will walk into their own shovel filled future and the ones who don't walk, can catch shovel spears with their face.

black.lion posted:

My point stands, I'll make it seriously: Given that companions can pick out headshots at distance, that you can easily and conveniently tag enemies with wallhack highlights, and that killing enemies yourself without highlights isn't that difficult anyway... I feel that being able to shoot easily through wooden barriers would further trivialize combat which, as it stands, I find fun but easy.

LMGs and sniper rifles already pierce wooden objects, tin sheets and enemies.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 28, 2018

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Tumble posted:

Also you can in fact lean in this, aim down sights near the edge of cover and you peak out a tiny bit.

What? Nobody means to let your gun shoot through rocks, just places it makes sense like wooden planks and thin metal walls and stuff

My point stands, I'll make it seriously: Given that companions can pick out headshots at distance, that you can easily and conveniently tag enemies with wallhack highlights, and that killing enemies yourself without highlights isn't that difficult anyway... I feel that being able to shoot easily through wooden barriers (or whatever else would be penetrated by actual bullets) would further trivialize combat which, as it stands, I find fun but easy.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I'm enhoti g the geam

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

The Bananana posted:

I'm enhoti g the geam

No more bliss for this man.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Fishing is a little disappointing. I bought the level 2 rod and went fishing for bull and golden trout and didn't earn hardly anything and had to constantly duck patrols besides.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Mr Scumbag posted:

Yep. i7-3770 and a 980 and the framerate is smooth as hell with no drops at all with everything maxed at 1080. No motion blur cause who dos that.

Even with good specs all other FC games has lovely mouse acceleration that needed ini edits to fix, so they are definitely doing better with optimisation and PC tweaking.

No drops below 60 with everything maxed? I have a i7 3770 with a 1070 and it's even dipping into the 40s occasionally... not sure what the deal is.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

AndrewP posted:

No drops below 60 with everything maxed? I have a i7 3770 with a 1070 and it's even dipping into the 40s occasionally... not sure what the deal is.

Are you playing at 1080p or above that?

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

Gay Horney posted:

Fishing is a little disappointing. I bought the level 2 rod and went fishing for bull and golden trout and didn't earn hardly anything and had to constantly duck patrols besides.

Can someone tell me how to fish? I mean I get in real life where you pull against the fish and reel when they stop fighting...is it the same here? I did the bull trout side mission, and it seemed like the only time I got one without breaking the line it just loving took like 5 minutes of stupidity for $100. Is it always that way or is there an easier way to fish correctly? What are the mechanics? I tried like 5 times without any noticeable success.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Gay Horney posted:

They unfortunately totally dropped the ball on collection/progression mechanics in this game. From what I can see, all fish are worth the same regardless of weight (and maybe type) and nothing really incentivizes collection beyond a few of each type of animal and that's only if you want everything. Looking at most of the skills and playing through about 20 hours of the game, I'm having no issues and most skills don't feel like anything I want or need as opposed to previous games where I wanted to go out and hunt to min-max my build/lethality.

It's the most disappointing part of the game to me in regards to mechanics.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
If you're in a fishing spot a tutorial will come up and tell you what to do. You need to tire the fish out before you can pull them to shore. You do this by pulling the opposite way they are. When the fish is tired enough it'll flop onto shore, I've found it works best if you stand still and don't try to move.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

AndrewP posted:

I won't claim to be getting a constant 60 (I deliberately don't have frame counters cause I don't like to obsess over that stuff) but I definitely haven't noticed any stuttering or frame dipping at all. Like literally ever. To the point where I'm legitimately surprised and impressed.

The fact that I never think about the frame rate while playing tells me a lot. Not sure what is happening with you, though. Weird drivers or running over 1080 would be my guess.

I think the is the best optimized Ubi game I've ever played, or at least played in the past 10-15 years.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Gay Horney posted:

If you're in a fishing spot a tutorial will come up and tell you what to do. You need to tire the fish out before you can pull them to shore. You do this by pulling the opposite way they are. When the fish is tired enough it'll flop onto shore, I've found it works best if you stand still and don't try to move.

Dont move in a general sense, but after it gets within a couple feet of you its easiest to just walk to it.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
My very first "random" encounter was seeing a cultist dragging a hostage up an almost vertical hillside and then rocketing at full speed into the sky when he reached the top of the hill. I was running around in the area trying to get somewhere and he and the hostage both splatted onto the ground in front of me 3 or 4 minutes later. Game rules.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Are you playing at 1080p or above that?

Just regular ole' 1080p. I have the frame counter going but the stutters were noticeable, I need that silky-smooth 60. Gonna try to mess with some stuff tonight to see if I can figure it out.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Open world, most side missions and all the prepper bunkers are absolutely great so far (just about finished up the first district).

Story missions are the worst things I've played in a long time. I wish I could turn off or just avoid them, but the loving things automatically trigger when you reach certain resistance levels. What an awful and fun game this is.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Had a "defend the prisoner/landing zone" mission last night, used the mortar a little but wasn't too impressed, but was bsting out one-shot-two-kills on the muderhobos charging acoss the bridge with the AR, so... also the stock (not sniper) AR seems to punch through trucks OK, and the .45 does seem to make hits through vehicles as we.. (Headshots best shots, though.)

Went and blew up a silo, wwhich had a mounted .50 caliber MG in the road next to it. A wayboff across the main road, there was a cult outpost. :getin: Fired off some RPGs to wake everyone up, then camped the .50 hosing both the outpost, and random vehicles driving down the road, for a few minutes. (Also the cougar that attacked my buddy right next to a gas can oops :supaburn:.) The alarm was raised, but reinforcements didn't start until I started moving up to finish the job.

At which time I went back to BUDDA-BUDDA-BUDDA on anything that moved.

Some hired guns seem better than others - my bow-buddy is not only making high-angle long-range kills a ton, but is happy to swap to fire arrows randomly. Meanwhile, Rocket Dude, riding as a passenger when chasing the Widowmaker truck, is magdumping his MAC while I'm dead-even with the driver, for 20-30 seconds at a time, and can't loving kill him?

Also saw a wandering trader using a laser sight at night to mostly miss a wolf stalking her.

Non-gameplay stuff: something is hosed. Preordered PC Gold via Green Man, preloaded after activating via the links GMG emailed me, obviously played through the Resistance mission, but my goony prepper poo poo still isn't showing up. Re-activating the Pre-Order link just kicks an error that says it's expired, and to activate through my purchases page - which doesn't have functional links for the game or content. Ubi say I can try activating by entering my code - but GMG provided links to Uconnect or whatever, not actual codes. :smithicide: Ticket open with GMG, who will likely point me at Ubi, who will probably turf it back.

I just want my goddamn free candy van.

(All my other poo poo is available from Gold, it's just the Doomsday Prepper orange snek skin junk that's still missing.)

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

(All my other poo poo is available from Gold, it's just the Doomsday Prepper orange snek skin junk that's still missing.)

How do you access all this stuff? I bought Gold on Steam but when I went into the garage spot I didn't see any vehicles available other than a 4-wheeler I think I unlocked bc I rode it there.

Mostly I want to know where all my outfits are so I can play dressup

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I really, really wish my character could make Rex Colt-isms and would pay money for DLC just to hear Michael Biehn say things to the effect of "Can you dig it?" after impaling a cultist on a thrown shovel. Also the Omega armor is so stupid looking, it's great.

Quicksilver6 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 28, 2018

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Deakul posted:

I made a grave( :haw: ) error in judgement

:yohoho:

RichterIX posted:

My very first "random" encounter was seeing a cultist dragging a hostage up an almost vertical hillside and then rocketing at full speed into the sky when he reached the top of the hill. I was running around in the area trying to get somewhere and he and the hostage both splatted onto the ground in front of me 3 or 4 minutes later. Game rules.

Me and Deakul's first trip into Faith's territory not only had hallucinations but extremely baffling vehicle physics where everytime I'd seemingly exit the vehicle, it'd get shoved sideways 40 feet and do wacky slides and spins. We quickly determined we were not ready for this area...

...Until a prepper's stash led us literally 20 feet into the territory again.

The stash was in a haunted house. :hb:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

AndrewP posted:

Just regular ole' 1080p. I have the frame counter going but the stutters were noticeable, I need that silky-smooth 60. Gonna try to mess with some stuff tonight to see if I can figure it out.

My system is similar to yours (i5-4570 and 980ti) and I've been able to average 57fps in the benchmark on Ultra even on 1440p. This is with v-sync turned off. I've actually been quite impressed with how well it runs, was not expecting to frequently hit over 60fps at this resolution under load.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The game runs quite well on my i5-4670K and GTX 1060 but there are noticeable points in the open world where the game will drop to 50 or even 40 fps for a fraction of a second because it's presumably loading something.
It's not that bad but it's kind of annoying, I hope they get around to fixing that.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The M60 is pretty fun but the whole 'get captured to learn about the lieutenants' gets real tired.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I brought back the window maker but ran over a dog in falls end :ohdear:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

"We can't reach the outside world, everything is cut off, we have to fight for ourselves!"

*spawns an infinite number of air vehicles that could carry you to the national guard*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Songbearer posted:

Put together a little montage of me and my buddy's first two hours or so in the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3KTDZMBbBY

Gonna have to put together a glitch reel at some point because some of the bugs in this game are hysterical. Nothing gamebreaking so far but plenty of lovely open world jank to feast on.

Thanks for this! That was fun to watch. :)