Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's worth complaining about it bc it sucks rear end and makes no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I'd be sadder about no 3DS version in the west if I wasn't absolutely and completely over that damned console. It's time to go to sleep for good, 3DS. And take your poo poo screens with you!

As far as synth vs orchestra I have to agree I kind of prefer synth. Orchestra music lacks a certain Oomph! that midi tracks offer. It's too airy, light, and very unsatisfying from a percussion point of view, especially with tense or action packed pieces. But maybe that's just because I was exposed to midi renditions of songs before I heard the orchestra pieces in games like DQ and Zelda

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
it makes a ton of sense. The composer is an incredibly crazy and angry dude, but his poo poo is iconic and draws the Japanese fans. SE does not give half a gently caress about the series outside of Japan since it isn't nearly as popular outside.

So they get the composer so the fans they care about won't riot and just sort of paper it over for the rest of the world because they don't give a poo poo.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Alxprit posted:

I care so little about orchestral vs. synthesized it hurts. We all know the reason why it's not happening (the composer is a dick) so complaining about it is extra fruitless. DQ8's music sounded fine to me on 3DS, and even going back to listen to the originals I felt I preferred the new music more often than not.

It isn't just orchestra vs. synth for me in this instance, though.

I agree that DQ8 sounded fine on 3DS, but there are things that make this a little different for me. To start, the sound design in terms of midi instruments used is just...bad. It clashes pretty hard-core with the top-notch visual presentation in my opinion. Jarringly so. It doesn't have to be real instruments, but there are LOADS better patches and samples available in 2017/2018 that it doesn't need to sound like it came from a 1998-era Soundblaster card.

A re-orchestration with better samples at a minimum or real instruments would help alleviate the other problem I have with it: the score just isn't very good, period. Everything about it is just so uninspired. It almost sounds like imitation DQ music, as though a ghostwriter got told "make this sound like Sugiyama" and was only half successful.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

It's worth complaining about it bc it sucks rear end and makes no sense.

Yeah.
Maybe when grandpa dies his estate will play ball

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The silver lining is that someone will definitely figure out how to mod in the orchestral music for the pc version at least.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Yes a Steam release. Now port all the older Dragon Quests to Steam.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

bentacos posted:

:homebrew:

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

MMF Freeway posted:

The silver lining is that someone will definitely figure out how to mod in the orchestral music for the pc version at least.

It has to exist for that to happen. Koichi Sugiyama is basically a mummy at this point, which shows in the fact that many of the tracks in the game's soundtrack are reused.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

bentacos posted:

They already ported Chrono Trigger:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/613830/CHRONO_TRIGGER/
And, well, the results are not so great. Read the steam reviews.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i'm pleasantly surprised it's come to pc, i had just assumed this would probably be the end of the line for me with dq
i'll uh, i'll wait and see if the port is strung together with bubblegum and twine first though

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The mobile ports subsequently got put on PC. They've put more effort into Dragon Quest ports than the rest of their backlog (possibly excepting Romancing SaGa 2, oddly enough). Anything could happen.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Just want to knock down the DQ7 3DS remake. Can't dig it. DQ8 on the other hand...

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

KingSlime posted:

As far as synth vs orchestra I have to agree I kind of prefer synth. Orchestra music lacks a certain Oomph! that midi tracks offer. It's too airy, light, and very unsatisfying from a percussion point of view, especially with tense or action packed pieces. But maybe that's just because I was exposed to midi renditions of songs before I heard the orchestra pieces in games like DQ and Zelda

I totally agree

zaepg fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 28, 2018

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Very cool to have US date for DQ XI! It's the week after Yakuza Kiwami 2, so I'll have my hands full for a while there!

On musics, I think a synth score but with real recorded electric guitars (neo-classical of course) would be ideal. And Yoshiki from X-Japan on drums and piano.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Terminally Bored posted:

They already ported Chrono Trigger:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/613830/CHRONO_TRIGGER/
And, well, the results are not so great. Read the steam reviews.
iOS ports are always garbage by design and there was a perfectly good DS version to port.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Now I just need a release date for DQB2.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

iOS ports are always garbage by design and there was a perfectly good DS version to port.

The iOS DQ games are actually really good

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

an actual dog posted:

I think he's complaining about an IOS port to PC, like I have DQ5 on my phone and love it, but I'd be pissed about a port of that without significant changes on my PC.

At the bare minimum a PC port should work better than just downloading an SNES emulator and rom

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 29, 2018

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

an actual dog posted:

I can't complain about how they are on iOS, just so long as it stays on iOS.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
For what it's worth, even Nintendo was a bit iffy on switching to full orchestra for Mario Galaxy for the some of the same reasons that I think the composer for DQ is being uptight about. Some of the people working on it didn't like the fact that the orchestral music felt more like music coming from a CD player as opposed to music coming from the game itself. Part of the way they solved it was by synchronizing the tempo of certain songs to Mario's run cycle.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

TurnipFritter posted:

It seems worse than a standard MMO-style grind because if you want those legacy costumes you have fight the legacy bosses over and over and over, each time giving them all the experience you had earned so they can level up and hope they'll drop the pieces of gear you want.

I don't know what the words in italics mean since I didn't play DQ9 postgame, but this is exactly the experience in World of Warcraft if you want old appearances and mounts and stuff. It's on a longer timeline though - legacy raids are only reset once per week. So maybe DQ9 is worse in that regard.

The Kins posted:

XI has been announced for the west on PS4 and Steam.

Holy poo poo, this is really unexpected (but very welcome). I'll actually get to play it! Looking at the footage... I hope there's an option to unlock the framerate cap for more powerful hardware in the future. 30fps sucks.

$60 digital games, though. Yeesh. I've only done that twice (Skyrim and Portal 2) but I didn't feel good about it. Maybe I'll just wait a year when it inevitably goes down to 20.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Legacy bosses in Dragon Quest IX were superbosses who hung out in the bottom of special random dungeons. They started off stronger than the final boss and have low chances of dropping rare alchemy ingredients needed for the best stuff. After beating them - which is not easy - you could choose to either take the experience points for yourself, or let the boss have them, so that they'd be stronger and have an incrementally higher drop rate next time you went down their boring dungeon to fight them again. Their levels went up to 100. You could only access them at all using proto-Streetpass.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Terminally Bored posted:

Are the online items in DQ8 still available? Were they useful?

I think they stopped the DLC downloading completely. If you have a modded 3DS and NTR, you can still get them. Lots of good equipment with unique properties. All the weapons are level-locked (can't use before Level 45 for example).

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Ofecks posted:

Holy poo poo, this is really unexpected (but very welcome). I'll actually get to play it! Looking at the footage... I hope there's an option to unlock the framerate cap for more powerful hardware in the future. 30fps sucks.

$60 digital games, though. Yeesh. I've only done that twice (Skyrim and Portal 2) but I didn't feel good about it. Maybe I'll just wait a year when it inevitably goes down to 20.
I don't know why the PC has been paying the console tax and discounts for them are getting weaker as well. Maybe they will introduce membership fees to defeat all the reasons to play on PC.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

I don't know why the PC has been paying the console tax and discounts for them are getting weaker as well. Maybe they will introduce membership fees to defeat all the reasons to play on PC.

In a sense, it hasn't - just stop buying on release. It isn't difficult to find discounts that bring things down to 40-50$, even on or at least near release.

If ever in doubt, Monkey Island still offers the best recommendation for game prices. https://fineleatherjackets.net/monkeyinflation

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Why should games be cheaper on pc?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Scalding Coffee posted:

Whats the console tax in this situation? Msrp?

You probably can just pirate it anyway if you care so much

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

In Training posted:

Something something no physical item and should cost less because

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
$60 is more of a "big budget game" tax than a console tax

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
The post game stuff in DQ IX sounds hellish. I hope none of you willingly subjected yourself to that, Jesus Christ. At that point I'd spend that time learning a marketable skill for the Real World because there is no way in hell that doesn't feel like straight up labor! No pay, no labor

Then again DQ doesn't usually have very strong post game content, does it?

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Legacy bosses in Dragon Quest IX were superbosses who hung out in the bottom of special random dungeons. They started off stronger than the final boss and have low chances of dropping rare alchemy ingredients needed for the best stuff. After beating them - which is not easy - you could choose to either take the experience points for yourself, or let the boss have them, so that they'd be stronger and have an incrementally higher drop rate next time you went down their boring dungeon to fight them again. Their levels went up to 100. You could only access them at all using proto-Streetpass.

That's almost correct, there isn't any dungeon though, just a room where you fight the boss.
It doesn't really make fighting them 1300-ish times any better however.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

bentacos posted:

A finger on the monkey paw curls as SE releases the original dumbphone versions of DQ1-3 on Steam.

Bongo Bill posted:

Also those bosses, after a certain point, became pure RNG to beat since you'd end up with enemies like Zoma taking 3-4+ actions per turn and having access to multiple AOE attacks that could hit for 300+ damage, so if they decided to fire off 3-4 AOE attacks in a single turn and you didn't have the paladin's invulnerability special running, you were hosed.

Those legacy bosses were so very, very terrible. i never upgraded any of the grotto drops to their final tiers but I absolutely used the Hoimi Table any time I decided to clear one.

The Kawasaki(?) Locker map with the floor that always had at least one Metal King per fight was awesome. I remember getting that map at PAX and on the flight home I maxxed out several jobs on each party member. Leveling through any other means (including Slime Hill) was the worst.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

KingSlime posted:

The post game stuff in DQ IX sounds hellish. I hope none of you willingly subjected yourself to that, Jesus Christ. At that point I'd spend that time learning a marketable skill for the Real World because there is no way in hell that doesn't feel like straight up labor! No pay, no labor

Then again DQ doesn't usually have very strong post game content, does it?

4 and 8 have excellent post-games. 3, 5, 6, and 7 have a dungeon with a motherfucker of a boss at the end, which is fine I guess. I don't know where 9 went wrong.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Doesn’t 9 have like an actual postgame campaign in the (now-dead) spotpass? With like actual cool quests that continue the story? Or do you need to be superpowered just to clear that?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

In Training posted:

Licensing fees do not apply on PC

Provided, that isn't true on steam - but certainly digital should be less expensive regardless of the platform.

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Doesn’t 9 have like an actual postgame campaign in the (now-dead) spotpass? With like actual cool quests that continue the story? Or do you need to be superpowered just to clear that?

Yeah it has an additional 64 quests which mostly interface with the grotto system, some of which give you the rest of the legacy boss maps.
You can can still get them in a sorta roundabout way by playing wifi with a game that got them.
Although, three of the quests can't be completed without some sort of cheat device because the special guests and weekly shopping channel thing are gone.
As far as story goes the extra quests tie up some loose ends and add a couple more. You only need to be super powered for the last parts of the grottoes and the lvl40+ legacy bosses.

BrokenLink fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 30, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kiggles posted:

Licensing fees do not apply on PC

Provided, that isn't true on steam - but certainly digital should be less expensive regardless of the platform.

I've always assumed it was because if a company went "our game is x% cheaper digital buy it that way!" Brick and mortar retail stores which I imagine is where most parents buy games for their kids at will go "hey Bethesda gently caress you." And just never stock anything they put out again.

Also because people have shown time and time again they'll drop full retail on digital only so why should that change?

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

It sucks they're not bringing over the 3DS version. I really loved what I saw of it when they did that DQ 11 stream showing off both versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Heard you wanted some DQB2 news: https://gematsu.com/2018/03/dragon-quest-builders-2-japanese-subtitle-protagonist-setting-revealed