Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The whole live action fairy tale trend has ended. But Disney keeps on trucking with their live action versions of their animated library, which make them billions. It's crazy that the other studios haven't made live action versions of their cartoon features, like Don Bluth's stuff or The Iron Giant. (I could see that one happening as an aftershock of RP1 if it does well.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Please let Ready Player One bomb, because we don't need insufferable listicles of neckbeards with Oedipus complexes and a staggering inability to understand the poo poo they allegedly love.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Looper posted:

Have any of the Disney live action remakes failed to make more money than their animated counterparts?

If you adjust for inflation, all of them except Beauty and the Beast I think. Of course, the other animated films came out during a time in which theatrical re-releases were common.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Samuel Clemens posted:

If you adjust for inflation, all of them except Beauty and the Beast I think. Of course, the other animated films came out during a time in which theatrical re-releases were common.

Yeah if you compare just the original 1961 animated release of 101 Dalmatians which had a box office of $14 million to the 1996 live action remake which made $136 million then the remake comes out ahead (even after adjusting for inflation) but the original was also re-issued in 1969, 1979, 1985 and 1991 for a lifetime gross of $144 million and if you adjust all those for inflation it comes out to $917 million in today's money.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Detective No. 27 posted:

The whole live action fairy tale trend has ended. But Disney keeps on trucking with their live action versions of their animated library, which make them billions. It's crazy that the other studios haven't made live action versions of their cartoon features, like Don Bluth's stuff or The Iron Giant. (I could see that one happening as an aftershock of RP1 if it does well.)

cgi/live action rats of nimh seems like a movie that would exist and not necessarily be awful.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'm suddenly filled with hope

Unmature
May 9, 2008
So... any animation news today?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yes but I don't think the person who has been making the news has ever made a movie, so we don't HAVE to talk about it in this thread if we don't want to.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Unmature posted:

So... any animation news today?

FINE, I'll say it, the John K hosed a teenager article dropped.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Damnit...

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
In an announcement surprising absolutely no one.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

If comments on his blog from a few years ago are any indication, he's been doing that with different women for years. Some complain about him on his blog posts and he calls them delusional.

Anyway he's a real piece of work. And not nearly as good an animator as he thinks he is.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Holy poo poo the article is difficult to get through. What a piece of poo poo.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/arianelange/john-kricfalusi-ren-stimpy-underage-sexual-abuse

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
John K sucks and has always sucked lock him in a flaming dumpster like the shitstain he is

in brighter news, I can confirm that this spoilery isle of dogs speculation:

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The little boy comes to the island looking for his dog "Spots". When he gets to the island he meets a dog called "Chief" and they start looking for "Spots". Expect "Chief" and "Spots" are actually the same dog, it's just that dirt is covering up "Spots" Spots and he's been there so long he's forgotten his own name. So the whole movie is about Chief unknowingly going on a journey to find himself.

is in fact not correct, though the movie plays around with it and has a really cute scene where Chief is like "what the..."

surprising no one, isle of dogs is gorgeous, though i feel it would have benefited if none of the human characters spoke english

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I know I’m late to the Coco party, but having just seen it I can confirm it is good Pixar, probably on par with Ratatoille in my eyes.

My one major gripe is the ending felt less like the intended ending and more like an ending that tested well. I don’t mind it being a happy ending and I wasn’t hoping for anything too bittersweet, but having Hector be recognized as the real famous musician, while cathartic, felt a bit too tidy. Like, having the family recognize and appreciate him, but the rest of the world still loves Ernesto, would have come across as better with the themes of family to me.. That being said, it was still a great film.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

dirksteadfast posted:

I know I’m late to the Coco party, but having just seen it I can confirm it is good Pixar, probably on par with Ratatoille in my eyes.

My one major gripe is the ending felt less like the intended ending and more like an ending that tested well. I don’t mind it being a happy ending and I wasn’t hoping for anything too bittersweet, but having Hector be recognized as the real famous musician, while cathartic, felt a bit too tidy. Like, having the family recognize and appreciate him, but the rest of the world still loves Ernesto, would have come across as better with the themes of family to me.. That being said, it was still a great film.

I agree with this

It felt weird to me because surely over the years plenty of people have tried to coast off the success of Ernesto claiming they were the real people behind the song or music or whatever. And all the revelations happened in the world of the dead, so there's not really much proof in the living world about Ernesto being a fraud and murderer. It'd almost be a worst punishment for Ernesto if the rest of the world still remembers him, because he's be forever stuck under that bell unable to fully die and never able to appreciate his fame. I guess it's kind of dark that way but it still seems weird that the living world would so easily flip on Ernesto like that

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

dirksteadfast posted:

Yeah it felt really unnecessary. Also kind of weird because, sure, they were written by someone else, but he still performed them and did all the acting. There's certainly no proof he's a killer in the living world, and it's pretty contrived for it to be revealed in the world of the dead. I still don't get how or why he had poison on-hand just in case he had to murder his best friend or why a similar scene in a movie matters at all.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
A few problems aside, the music in Coco was loving awesome and I can't get Un Poco Loco out of my head

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I suppose it's a little odd that public opinion of Ernesto de la Cruz turned as dramatically in the World of the Living as it did in the World of the Dead, but they did at least try to explain it with Mama Coco secretly holding on to all of Hector's letters to her. It's not too much of a stretch to assume that there's concrete evidence in those letters that proves he directly worked with de la Cruz on the songs that made the latter famous. It would be a stretch to assume that there was any evidence of his murder, though. The circumstances might look fishy if he promised to head home in his final letter but then never did, but it's too easily handwaved as an unfortunate accident while en route.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It ultimately doesn't matter. They had a year long time gap, which is plenty of time to tank a famous person's career, and even if they couldn't prove the murder they could prove that he stole all his songs from his partner. The guy doesn't have to be a proven murderer to get his fame taken away.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It ultimately doesn't matter. They had a year long time gap, which is plenty of time to tank a famous person's career, and even if they couldn't prove the murder they could prove that he stole all his songs from his partner. The guy doesn't have to be a proven murderer to get his fame taken away.

Again though, that's like... not even a huge deal. And they can't even prove he completely stole them, he was working with the guy at the time, it would probably be assumed to be a dropped co-authorship. Most people aren't famous as songwriters, they're famous as performers. How many people know The Backstreet Boys versus Max Martin, or NSYNC versus Max Martin, or Brittney Spears versus Max Martin, or Katy Perry versus Max Martin, or Maroon 5 versus Max Martin, or Taylor Swift versus Max Martin? That is, the guy who wrote their famous songs?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ernesto has the song book, doesnt he? So theyd match handwriting. Dont forget photos that he looted his iconic guitar from his died in mysterious circumstances friend.

Which again would change not a goddamn thing since hes dead 70 years

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

Again though, that's like... not even a huge deal. And they can't even prove he completely stole them, he was working with the guy at the time, it would probably be assumed to be a dropped co-authorship. Most people aren't famous as songwriters, they're famous as performers. How many people know The Backstreet Boys versus Max Martin, or NSYNC versus Max Martin, or Brittney Spears versus Max Martin, or Katy Perry versus Max Martin, or Maroon 5 versus Max Martin, or Taylor Swift versus Max Martin? That is, the guy who wrote their famous songs?

Yeah, and Elvis Presley's big breakout hit was a cover of Big Mama Thornton's biggest song. The fact that it's a cover song doesn't affect it's popularity in the slightest. And neither performer actually wrote the song. So clearly the songwriter doesn't matter in the slightest in regards to a songs popularity.

But that would be a really lovely way to end the movie. They don't need to detail how they uncovered and revealed De la Cruz's murder of Hector to the world, or if they even managed to do that much at all, they just need to show that he was forgotten and his fame went to the person he murdered. Maybe there's a court case with the De la Cruz estate right now and it's in all the papers and there's tons of fans all over the country who still believe he's innocent and whatever, that's not important to the ending.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'd say though that the point should be it doesn't matter. Who gives a gently caress if he's famous? The most important thing is Hector is remembered by his family, who know him as a man who ultimately chose to do the right thing.

Or settle for "he's remembered in the living world, but who cares? Everyone in the Land of the Dead knows he's a scumbag and he'll never get away from it because he'll be famous forever, and therefore unable to even 'die' to leave a world of people who disdain him."

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Even Elvis Presley memorabilia and stuff is in a big decline. His typical fanbase is dying off.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If it came out he murdered someone it would totally help bring him into the limelight again

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

I'd say though that the point should be it doesn't matter. Who gives a gently caress if he's famous? The most important thing is Hector is remembered by his family, who know him as a man who ultimately chose to do the right thing.

... he is remembered by his family? The whole ending focus's on just his family? De la Cruz's fame being shifted is an incidental detail and more for karma's sake than anything. It's so briefly touched on that we don't know how it happened beyond the fact that it happened. So if the important thing is the one that's focused on why are you mad that the incidental detail is there, too? It has barely any baring on the ending and is mostly there so kids know crime doesn't pay. Like, it'd be weirder if it wasn't there.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
No that's what I'm saying. It's like he says in the pit, he didn't write the song to be famous, he wrote it for her. The ending should echo that, the movie wastes a lot of time on Comeuppance for someone who doesn't actually matter.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
... the major antagonist of the movie doesn't matter.

Okay.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SatansBestBuddy posted:

... the major antagonist of the movie doesn't matter.

Okay.

Correct, as w/ most of Pixar's films.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Only when all the Elvis impersonators are dead will Elvis come out of hiding.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
For all the bizarre nonsense in Boss Baby, the extended Elvis impersonator sequence was the only bit that gave me pause.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
double feature idea: The Rugrats Movie and Boss Baby

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

Correct, as w/ most of Pixar's films.

Have you considered that maybe you're failing to correctly read those movies you consistently don't like that share that one element you consistently think is irrelevant and unnecessary?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

21 Muns posted:

Have you considered that maybe you're failing to correctly read those movies you consistently don't like that share that one element you consistently think is irrelevant and unnecessary?

No, I am right and they are wrong.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I think the De La Cruz thing was so tidy due to the fact that it's a movie meant for kids (Read: Grown up idiots who don't like to think about their movies), and didn't want to leave them with an (spoilered just in case) emotionally confusing and karmically unjustified note. Tidy endings make for happy audiences, and happy audiences make for great word of mouth.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
Pick, I'm prepared to judge your taste in movies entirely on how you came by your current avatar.

In actual animation-related talk... I've been thinking about picking up a copy of Prince of Egypt since the stores around here are kind of promoting it leading up to Easter and all. I haven't seen it since its original theater release, when I was like 8-9 and didn't really appreciate it because yawn, a bible movie but every screenshot and gif I've seen over the years is leading me to believe that it might actually be just about the prettiest 2D animated film in the world.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Prince of Egypt is a fantastic movie and the only bad part is the Big Boys song.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
the only bad part of Prince of Egypt is that it's still not on blu-ray

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

A very charming Bill Plympton animation done for the Simpsons.

https://youtu.be/dbI8kJuSkkY