Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I'm so bummed. I haven't been able to play in like a month and I'm not 70 yet so there's no way in hell I'm ever getting into Eureka when people are still doing it.

Considering it's tied to the relic and pulls players from the entire datacenter, I find it hard to believe that Eureka will be well and truly dead anytime soon. Even if it somehow is a complete and utter ghost town on the level of Diadem, you can just find one friend that did level up and they'll be able to effortlessly spawn NMs for you to beat on (which apparently scale to the number of players in the instance, meaning they'd be no problem to defeat).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Rainuwastaken posted:

Considering it's tied to the relic and pulls players from the entire datacenter, I find it hard to believe that Eureka will be well and truly dead anytime soon. Even if it somehow is a complete and utter ghost town on the level of Diadem, you can just find one friend that did level up and they'll be able to effortlessly spawn NMs for you to beat on (which apparently scale to the number of players in the instance, meaning they'd be no problem to defeat).

Yeah. I never see a case when there wouldn’t be at least one instance mostly full of people.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I hit 20, got a full set of armor and 3 weapons, all the lockbox stuff and NM drops, and now I'm only interested in going back for a couple hours a week to cap on mendacity and catch up on Netflix.

There's not a whole lot left to do once you get what you came for unless you're a weirdo chasing down all of the armor sets for some insane reason (most of them are hideous and also not as good as tome gear). The population is going to plummet over the next month, but probably won't bottom out before the next zone hits. The saving grace of Eureka over Diadem is that there's no barrier to entry, no pre-forming parties or anything, you can just hop in alone anytime.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Shere posted:

I hit 20, got a full set of armor and 3 weapons, all the lockbox stuff and NM drops, and now I'm only interested in going back for a couple hours a week to cap on mendacity and catch up on Netflix.

There's not a whole lot left to do once you get what you came for unless you're a weirdo chasing down all of the armor sets for some insane reason (most of them are hideous and also not as good as tome gear). The population is going to plummet over the next month, but probably won't bottom out before the next zone hits. The saving grace of Eureka over Diadem is that there's no barrier to entry, no pre-forming parties or anything, you can just hop in alone anytime.

While the sets are not necessarily as good as tome gear, it’s more accessible to gear out multiple characters in less time. As it takes multiple months of capping mendacity every week to fully equip one classes in tome gear - let alone multiple classes.

For people that have 5+ classes capped, this is a great alternative to tome gear because you know you’ll be able to have high ilvl left side gear on all of your classes, that keeps improving, every patch.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

While the sets are not necessarily as good as tome gear, it’s more accessible to gear out multiple characters in less time. As it takes multiple months of capping mendacity every week to fully equip one classes in tome gear - let alone multiple classes.

For people that have 5+ classes capped, this is a great alternative to tome gear because you know you’ll be able to have high ilvl left side gear on all of your classes, that keeps improving, every patch.

On the other hand, tome gear fits an entire role at a time as opposed to relic armor only fitting a single job.

I'm hesitant to spend my crystals on any set of Anemos armor due to the classes I play (the dye channels on DRK, DRG, BLM and SCH are all nightmares given physical form), but I'm also really unsure of how they're going to approach the armor in future chunks of Eureka. Is this as far as they go so that SE can say, "ugh FINE take your dyable AF3, now stop whining"? Is the armor going to get special glows as we level them up? Will they get model changes at some point, or is it just going to be the same thing? Am I going to need a matching armor set completed to finish up my weapon? aaaaaaaaaa

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I wouldn't bank on the armor being easy enough to improve in the next step that it remains sensible to do it half a dozen (or more) times, but who knows. I'm still traumatized from running Qarn HM 62 times for a single step of the ARR relic.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I'm so bummed. I haven't been able to play in like a month and I'm not 70 yet so there's no way in hell I'm ever getting into Eureka when people are still doing it.

you have been blessed and you don't even realize it

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Eureka... is Bad

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

World War Mammories posted:

Eureka... is Bad

Disagree.

Bad isn't a strong enough word.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Eureka is Okay.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

Eureka is Okay.

I'd go so far to say that I think Eureka is pretty alright.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Mordiceius posted:

I'd go so far to say that I think Eureka is pretty alright.

It's a good time killer and a decent way to spend a few hours chatting with friends while earning tomestones.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Eopia posted:

It's a good time killer and a decent way to spend a few hours chatting with friends while earning tomestones.

If Eureka wasn't subject to "duty" restrictions (no sending tells/no access to social menus/not able to use duty & party finder), I would go so far to say that I really like it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Eureka is more fun for the community than the content.

Though, I did have two instances where a whiny person (same person each time) was filling shout chat with complaints about how no one would add them to their party and then immediately shifting gears and whining about everything else when they did get added to a party.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Heard joke once: MMO developer goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says his game seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening instance where what lies ahead is grinding and boredom. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Great developer Yoshida is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should fix your game." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor... I am Yoshida."

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
"Good joke. Everyone laughs. Roll on T-Rex mount."

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Anything is fun while chatting with friends. And the game already has maps. Hell, Eureka is like running treasure maps but the mob phase takes 10 minutes on every floor and you can’t do damage if you haven’t run 1000 maps before.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Eureka might be bad but I'll take spamming boss fates over spamming "pick up twigs and give them to a moogle" fates any day.

Also at least it's not another loving light grind, I swear to god Yoshida if this relic gets one of those I might actually cry

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Given how Eureka: Anemos is clearly wind-aspected and there's a theme of six elements all over it, I think we can expect five more of them with five more 10-level grinds (to a max of 70!) and five more relic steps :v: ENJOY, FUCKOS

I have gotten my share of absolute no fun people there though. Like the guy who INSISTED that the party kick me because I didn't see him running through Snake Alley and the fact that I didn't rez him was unacceptable trolling

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Given how Eureka: Anemos is clearly wind-aspected and there's a theme of six elements all over it, I think we can expect five more of them with five more 10-level grinds (to a max of 70!) and five more relic steps :v: ENJOY, FUCKOS

I have gotten my share of absolute no fun people there though. Like the guy who INSISTED that the party kick me because I didn't see him running through Snake Alley and the fact that I didn't rez him was unacceptable trolling

Unless it's mystic quest themed and we get three more zones (water/fire/earth).

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Hopefully this is just leading to a captain planet crossover

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Mordiceius posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-7W4w1s5mg

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Absolute Virtue coming in 4.5.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

What I'm saying is that we should get an Earth zone with Flamerus Rex, Water/Ice zone with Ice Golem, and Fire zone with Dualhead Hydra.

Then we should get a trial/dungeon in the castle where we fight versions of those bosses again before taking on the Dark Lord.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Honestly the best part of Eureka is the area design. Anemos is lovely, and I really can't wait to see what the other element areas look like. You can see the volcano, a huge cluster of lightning crystals, and that ice palace from various places on the map, and I just wanna go there already.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Speaking of trolling, I got an honest to God guy still in ARC in Dzemael Darkhold last night. He also thought he was a tank, or at least, was eager to pull.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

So nice, i did it thrice.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

Eureka might be bad but I'll take spamming boss fates over spamming "pick up twigs and give them to a moogle" fates any day.

Those finish so fast, though.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Mordiceius posted:

It's become a running theme for me to reference that when people pop in for Pazuzu status.

'Pazuzu died in the way back to his home tower, the wind crystal shines brightly.'
'No gales for x hours, Paz had to hurry home because some shmuck left the wind crystal on.'
'Pazuzu is dead. Long live Pazuzu, may the wind crystal shine evermore.'

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It's pretty clear we'll end up with five more elemental zones (Eureka Pagos next? Or Eureka Astrapi?) and then a finale in the castle because Komoto's reign of terror doesn't stop.

The question is if each successive zone raises the level cap by 10 with increasingly longer grinds or if every one goes 1-20 in exactly the same way, with exactly the same drop mechanics, and you upgrade your wind relic by making an identical ice relic and then smooshing them together.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

MelvinBison posted:

Absolute Virtue coming in 4.5.

i assume this is what Krile's flashback dad was alluding to about being imprisoned right

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Looking forward to spending 100% of a Eureka lockout timer whittling 20% off of AV's HP bar.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kuvo posted:

i assume this is what Krile's flashback dad was alluding to about being imprisoned right

I thought it was the cloak guy.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Kuvo posted:

It's 99% going to be Hades. Considering the Greek naming scheme for the zone and that he was a FFXI villain so it fits the nostalgia thing they're going for too.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So, Stormblood.

It was better than ARR, worse than HW. All around, Stormblood was okay. That's my biggest feeling about it, finishing 4.0: it was okay. Most characters were blandly likeable. The plot was dumb, but not as bad as many before it. Very little of Stormblood sticks out in my mind as especially good or particularly bad. Gosetsu was the only member of the main hero cast (and I'm including Lyse in that category) who stood out to me, and Zenos was no more stupid than any villain before him but he at least chewed the scenery enough that I didn't mind him. Lakshmi also gets points for terrific visual design for her boss fight. The rest was just bland, unmemorable mediocrity.

I think the number one problem with SB is that it did both Ala Mhigo and Doma. HW worked for me because it was very focused on Ishgard and its problems; every major character not named Alphinaud was directly related to events in Ishgard and in some way was a major figure or represented larger forces in the story. Stormblood had two almost completely different casts of heroes and villains that barely interacted, and the story was a very simplistic Freedom Good Conquest Bad cartoon.

In such a story, it often falls to the main characters to pick up the slack, and in SB I think they failed to do so. Hien's a dork, Lyse is determined. I didn't mind either of them, but neither did I get invested in either of them. This expansion is also where the portrayal of the WoL bugged me more than anywhere else. You're still given no real opportunity to define the WoL or give her a personality, and I think I noticed this a lot more in SB than anywhere before because the WoL is about the only hope of connecting the grab bag of plot threads and lose ends that constitute SB's story.

I'm not frustrated with it and glad to be done with it like I was with ARR, and I'm not satisfied with a pretty decent story like I was with HW. Stormblood just leaves me vaguely disappointed.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Cythereal posted:

I think the number one problem with SB is that it did both Ala Mhigo and Doma.

Yeah, I think the plot would've likely been better if they focused on one or the other. I think the devs/writers might be in a hurry to visit the entire world before the game ceases development.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Cythereal posted:

You're still given no real opportunity to define the WoL or give her a personality, and I think I noticed this a lot more in SB than anywhere before because the WoL is about the only hope of connecting the grab bag of plot threads and lose ends that constitute SB's story.

"I'll kill your god if I have to. Maybe even if I don't."
"We can but carry on. For those we have lost. For those we can yet save."
"I'm your rolanberry."
"Because I choose too."
"Clearly you want me to say 'the Saltery.'"
"I accept you."

There's a lot of incidental dialogue choices for you to give your WoL this expac.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

EponymousMrYar posted:

"I'll kill your god if I have to. Maybe even if I don't."
"We can but carry on. For those we have lost. For those we can yet save."
"I'm your rolanberry."
"Because I choose too."
"Clearly you want me to say 'the Saltery.'"
"I accept you."

There's a lot of incidental dialogue choices for you to give your WoL this expac.

But none of it impacts the story, or really gives much hint to why the WoL is doing what they do or what their own feelings are. They're window dressing, nothing more, and make me notice the absence of a real character or personality all the more.

Certainly nothing like SB would need to use the WoL to weld its two stories together.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug

Kuvo posted:

I was just taking the piss out of XI. I have no idea what's going on in Eureka's story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Stormblood

What did you think about Lyse dunking on Magnai by comparing him to Urianger?