Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

self defence with guns is an nra myth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

stone cold posted:

self defence with guns is an nra myth
Obviously crisis actors.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

Giving in to fear and anger is all too easy; it’s one reason why the dark side is such a dangerous temptation for Force users. However, fear is weak compared to the Force. Kanan realized this in Star Wars Rebels when he fought the Grand Inquisitor. The Imperial enemy tried to use fear as a tactic against Kanan, but once the former Jedi realized the Force could overcome anything, he was unstoppable.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Giving in to fear and anger is all too easy; it’s one reason why the dark side is such a dangerous temptation for Force users. However, fear is weak compared to the Force. Kanan realized this in Star Wars Rebels when he fought the Grand Inquisitor. The Imperial enemy tried to use fear as a tactic against Kanan, but once the former Jedi realized the Force could overcome anything, he was unstoppable.
lol EU, gross

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
Is it? I'm a bad nerd and don't know what is or isn't. Trek > Wars anyway. Ban all phasers IMO.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Is it? I'm a bad nerd and don't know what is or isn't. Trek > Wars anyway. Ban all phasers IMO.
I have just been informed by reliable sources that the cartoons are canon, and let me tell you, I am absolutely livid.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I have just been informed by reliable sources that the cartoons are canon, and let me tell you, I am absolutely livid.

This is in flux as they try and reconcile canon with what will make the best movies to try and replicate the MCU success.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Obviously crisis actors.

here’s the information you haven’t read for oh, the fourth time

stone cold posted:

meanwhile

quote:

In 2012, across the nation there were only 259 justifiable homicides involving a private citizen using a firearm reported to the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program as detailed in its Supplementary Homicide Report (SHR). That same year, there were 8,342 criminal gun homicides tallied in the SHR. In 2012, for every justifiable homicide in the United States involving a gun, guns were used in 32 criminal homicides. And this ratio, of course, does not take into account the tens of thousands of lives ended in gun suicides or unintentional shootings that year.

quote:

In 2012, there were only 259 justifiable homicides involving a gun. For the five-year period 2008 through 2012, there were only 1,108 justifiable homicides involving a gun.

quote:

In 2012 there were 20,666 firearm suicide deaths and 548 fatal unintentional shootings. Source: Federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention WISQARS database.

quote:

The reality of self-defense gun use bears no resemblance to the exaggerated claims of the gun lobby and gun industry. The number of justifiable homicides that occur in our nation each year pale in comparison to criminal homicides, let alone gun suicides and fatal unintentional shootings. And contrary to the common stereotype promulgated by the gun lobby, those killed in justifiable homicide incidents don’t always fit the expected profile of an attack by a stranger: in 35.5 percent of the justifiable homicides that occurred in 2012 the persons shot were known to the shooter.

The devastation guns inflict on our nation each and every year is clear: more than 33,000 dead, more than 81,000 wounded, and an untold number of lives traumatized and communities shattered. Unexamined claims of the efficacy and frequency of the self-defense use of firearms are the default rationale offered by the gun lobby and gun industry for this unceasing, bloody toll. The idea that firearms are frequently used in self-defense is the primary argument that the gun lobby and firearms industry use to expand the carrying of firearms into an ever-increasing number of public spaces and even to prevent the regulation of military-style semiautomatic assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines. Yet this argument is hollow and the assertions false. When analyzing the most reliable data available, what is most striking is that in a nation of more than 300 million guns, how rarely firearms are used in self-defense.

stone cold posted:

quote:

VIOLENT CRIME
According to the NCVS, looking at the total number of self-protective behaviors undertaken by victims of both attempted and completed violent crime for the three-year period 2013 through 2015, in only 1.1 percent of these instances had the intended victim in resistance to a criminal “threatened or attacked with a firearm.”11 As detailed in the chart on the next page, for the three-year period 2013 through 2015, the NCVS estimates that there were 16,492,600 victims of attempted or completed violent crime. During this same three-year period, only 175,700 of the self-protective behaviors involved a firearm. Of this number, it is not known what type of firearm was used or whether it was fired or not. The number may also include off-duty law enforcement officers who use their firearms in self-defense.

quote:

According to the NCVS, looking at the total number of self-protective behaviors undertaken by victims of attempted or completed property crime for the three-year period 2013 through 2015, in only 0.2 percent of these instances had the intended victim in resistance to a criminal threatened or attacked with a firearm. As detailed in the prior table, for the three-year period 2013 through 2015, the NCVS estimates that there were 46,673,600 victims of attempted or completed property crime. During this same three-year period, only 109,000 of the self-protective behaviors involved a firearm. Of this number, it is not known what type of firearm was used, whether it was fired or not, or whether the use of a gun would even be a legal response to the property crime. And as before, the number may also include off-duty law enforcement officers. In comparison, data from the Department of Justice shows that an average of 232,400 guns were stolen each year from U.S. households from 2005 to 2010.

COMPARING NCVS DATA TO CLAIMS THAT GUNS ARE USED IN SELF-DEFENSE 2.5 MILLION TIMES A YEAR
Using the NCVS numbers, for the three-year period 2013 through 2015, the total number of self-protective behaviors involving a firearm by victims of attempted or completed violent crimes or property crimes totaled only 284,700. In comparison, the gun lobby claims that during the same three-year period guns were used 7.5 million times in self defense (applying to the three-year period the gun lobby’s oft-repeated claim, noted earlier, that firearms are used in self defense 2.5 million times a year).

CONCLUSION
The reality of self-defense gun use bears no resemblance to the exaggerated claims of the gun lobby and gun industry. The number of justifiable homicides that occur in our nation each year pale in comparison to criminal homicides, let alone gun suicides and fatal unintentional shootings. And contrary to the common stereotype promulgated by the gun lobby, those killed in justifiable homicide incidents don’t always fit the expected profile of an attack by a stranger: in 34.4 percent of the justifiable homicides that occurred in 2014 the persons shot and killed were known to the shooter.

but sure, guns are definitely big for self defense

🆗

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Rent-A-Cop posted:

lol EU, gross

Rebels is new cannon, not EU, moron.
But it should be EU because rebels is so, so bad

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

archangelwar posted:

drat, I am allergic :(

You poor, poor man.

Like, even if you eat it?

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.
I just want to chime in on an argument from a few pages back regarding the Founding Fathers and 2nd Amendment: Who gives a poo poo? Jefferson, Madison, et al. had muskets and blunderbusses in mind when they wrote it. Semi-automatic rifles weren't even a dream for them.

Also, they owned slaves and thought that only propertied white men were actually people.

Also, they were all demented by untreated syphilis.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Marijuana posted:

I just want to chime in on an argument from a few pages back regarding the Founding Fathers and 2nd Amendment: Who gives a poo poo? Jefferson, Madison, et al. had muskets and blunderbusses in mind when they wrote it. Semi-automatic rifles weren't even a dream for them.

Also, they owned slaves and thought that only propertied white men were actually people.

An equally good post against both arguments from intent on constitutional rights and Hamilton.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Marijuana posted:

It's pretty clear that they intended citizens to be able to own military small arms of all kinds, not just "muskets." You can argue that they were wrong to favor that, or that they had the right idea but that their ideas about individual and collective defense have become outdated in the last 200+ years, or that they were lovely people and that they should be ignored except when they happened to write an amendment you agree with (stopped clocks and all), but it is wrong and ahistorical to argue that the 2nd amendment doesn't enshrine an individual right to own military small arms, or that it is ambiguous, or that it is not the law of the land.

This line of discussion was started by some posters trying to argue that the Constitution does not guarantee an individual right to own military small arms, which is wrong. Your argument that it shouldn't have/should be amended not to, and that the founders were lovely people in certain ways to boot, is wholly orthogonal to that.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's pretty clear that they intended citizens to be able to own military small arms of all kinds, not just "muskets." You can argue that they were wrong to favor that, or that they had the right idea but that their ideas about individual and collective defense have become outdated in the last 200+ years, or that they were lovely people and that they should be ignored except when they happened to write an amendment you agree with (stopped clocks and all), but it is wrong and ahistorical to argue that the 2nd amendment doesn't enshrine an individual right to own military small arms, or that it is ambiguous, or that it is not the law of the land.

This line of discussion was started by some posters trying to argue that the Constitution does not guarantee an individual right to own military small arms, which is wrong. Your argument that it shouldn't have/should be amended not to, and that the founders were lovely people in certain ways to boot, is wholly orthogonal to that.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's pretty clear that they intended citizens to be able to own military small arms of all kinds, not just "muskets."
noted invention of the late 1700s, semiautomatic rifles.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

Why are you talking about military small arms, specifically? The second amendment just says arms. Presumably you should argue that citizens are entitled to own any military weapon of any kind

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Why are you talking about military small arms, specifically? The second amendment just says arms. Presumably you should argue that citizens are entitled to own any military weapon of any kind
To be fair they did write in a provision for authorizing civilian warships so...

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
The right is reserved to the people, not the Militia.

Elizabethan Error posted:

noted invention of the late 1700s, semiautomatic rifles.
It isn't relevant. Do you think the first amendment is rendered invalid by advances in technology since 1791?

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

The arguments upthread asking why mass / school shootings are different and attacking the emotional nature of my response to them are such nonsense. Comparisons to cars are nonsense. Comparisons of annual death rates are incomplete and almost certainly disingenuous - guns are classified as "weapons" because they have unique capabilities and characteristics which put them in their own taxonomic category and have no really useful analog besides other weapons.
Why? If something designed for causing damage causes fewer deaths than something which was not meant to cause damage, is the thing meant to cause damage the bigger problem, or the thing that causes more death? If someone is killed with a chef's knife or baseball bat, is it better because they were not killed with a weapon? Before you say, "the Vegas shooter couldn't have killed 50 people with a baseball bat," I'd ask whether you think something that kills 50 people once every 500 days or something that kills one person every single day to be a bigger problem.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

Who are the Militia?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

the right to bear arms flows from the requirement for the Militia

quote:

It isn't relevant.
in the same way that nuclear weapons would also be irrelevant :jerkbag:

quote:

Do you think the first amendment is rendered invalid by advances in technology since 1791?
pretty much, what with the CIA/NSA monitoring US citizens and the police having access to things like Stingray.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

:
pretty much, what with the CIA/NSA monitoring US citizens and the police having access to things like Stingray.
Wrong amendment lol

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Wrong amendment lol
:wrong:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
If DC v Heller hadn't gone the way it did then there would be a much more compelling legal argument for a lot of gun control.

But as far as the laws and the courts and the mainstream is concerned this debate over 'militia' and 'the people' and all the other stuff was settled definitively many years ago. Its a big landmark case for a reason, and non-mainstream constitutional theories don't carry a lot of weight.

Sure, repealing the second amendment would fix the problem, but that's a tall order. People probably won't want to give up one of their rights that they're accustomed to enjoying.

If decades of the abortion debate have taught us anything its that the side arguing for 'people's rights' tends to prevail over the side arguing for 'people's lives.'

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

hakimashou posted:

But as far as the laws and the courts and the mainstream is concerned this debate over 'militia' and 'the people' and all the other stuff was settled definitively many years ago.

"But as far as the laws and the courts and the mainstream is concerned, this debate over 'slavery' and 'owning people as property' and all the other stuff was settled definitively many years ago." - hakimashou in 1845

The law is not always right, my friend. Defending something because it's the law of the land has been used many times to justify terrible things, please don't continue the tradition.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

hakimashou posted:

If decades of the abortion debate have taught us anything its that the side arguing for 'people's rights' tends to prevail over the side arguing for 'people's lives.'

Lol gently caress right off

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's pretty clear that they intended citizens to be able to own military small arms of all kinds, not just "muskets."

Dead Reckoning posted:

It isn't relevant. Do you think the first amendment is rendered invalid by advances in technology since 1791?

Is the implication here that founding fathers were psychic or what

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

hakimashou posted:

fetuses aren't people

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

fetuses aren't people

I didn't say they were.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

LOL there's only ten in the Bill of Rights and like three don't even matter how can you get it wrong.

Things you don't need to know about to argue about gun laws on the internet: guns, laws.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

hakimashou posted:

I didn't say they were.
so that wasn't you i just quoted, inferring that fetuses were in fact people? :thunk:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

so that wasn't you i just quoted, inferring that fetuses were in fact people? :thunk:

Right I didn't infer anything like that. There's a side of the abortion debate that "argues for people's lives." Much like in the gun debate.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Rent-A-Cop posted:

LOL there's only ten in the Bill of Rights and like three don't even matter how can you get it wrong.

Things you don't need to know about to argue about gun laws on the internet: guns, laws.
I didn't get the amendment wrong, idiot. sorry you think that privacy is still a thing in tyool 2018

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I didn't get the amendment wrong, idiot. sorry you think that privacy is still a thing in tyool 2018
Go read the post you quoted and then read your post and then realize what a gigantic fuckin' goob you are.

I really really hope you are some manner of foreign because if you are not our schools are way worse than I thought they were.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

hakimashou posted:

hakimashou posted:

Right I didn't infer anything like that.

https://i.imgur.com/WsVdlFh.mp4

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Go read the post you quoted and then read your post and then realize what a gigantic fuckin' goob you are.
how about you reread it, then go look up what the Stingray does for cell phones :nallears:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/WsVdlFh.mp4
how about you reread it, then go look up what the Stingray does for cell phones :nallears:
Which amendment covers your right to double down because you're getting some mileage out of it.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Abortion and gun control debates are such eerie mirror images of each other that you get anti-gun and anti-abortion people baffled that they're on opposite sides of the fence and calling one another hypocrites.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

hakimashou posted:

If DC v Heller hadn't gone the way it did then there would be a much more compelling legal argument for a lot of gun control.

But as far as the laws and the courts and the mainstream is concerned this debate over 'militia' and 'the people' and all the other stuff was settled definitively many years ago. Its a big landmark case for a reason, and non-mainstream constitutional theories don't carry a lot of weight.

Sure, repealing the second amendment would fix the problem, but that's a tall order. People probably won't want to give up one of their rights that they're accustomed to enjoying.

Cool let's just make buying a gun like getting an abortion then. You can buy any guy you want, but:

- need permission from any prior sexual partners before you can be sold a gun
- a doctor comes out and performs a thorough examination of your genitals
- a drill sergeant has a long conversation with you about the responsibility of gun ownership, the lack of necessity of owning a gun, and shows you the statistics demonstrating that gun ownership is more likely to take your life than save it
- strict gun dealer licensing requirements, must be active-duty military and be stationed at the local armory in order to sell any guns to civilians
- mandate that schools can only teach firearm abstinence; no usage or safety instruction is allowed

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

hakimashou posted:

Abortion and gun control debates are such eerie mirror images of each other that you get anti-gun and anti-abortion people baffled that they're on opposite sides of the fence and calling one another hypocrites.

one of the sides is 100% right though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Which amendment covers your right to double down because you're getting some mileage out of it.
I'm sorry that you're that committed to shitposting and can't see my point.

• Locked thread