Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

hakimashou posted:

Abortion and gun control debates are such eerie mirror images of each other that you get anti-gun and anti-abortion people baffled that they're on opposite sides of the fence and calling one another hypocrites.

Fetuses. aren't. people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Elizabethan Error posted:

https://i.imgur.com/WsVdlFh.mp4
how about you reread it, then go look up what the Stingray does for cell phones :nallears:

I dunno what to tell you. It is a fact that there is a side in the abortion debate that is quote: "arguing for people's lives." "Pro-life" they call themselves, its their argument that abortions kill people.

There's an analogous side in the gun debate, for example the recent "March for Our Lives."

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

hakimashou posted:

I didn't say they were.

hakimashou posted:

If decades of the abortion debate have taught us anything its that the side arguing for 'people's rights' tends to prevail over the side arguing for 'people's lives.'

Okay so if you're not talking about fetuses then whose lives are you talking about here, in the context of abortion? Is it your belief that anti-abortion protesters are primarily concerned about the survival of the mother, rather than the fetus?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

hakimashou posted:

I dunno what to tell you. It is a fact that there is a side in the abortion debate that is quote: "arguing for people's lives." "Pro-life" they call themselves, its their argument that abortions kill people.

There's an analogous side in the gun debate, for example the recent "March for Our Lives."
it's not analogous, seeing as how fetuses aren't people.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

hakimashou posted:

But fetuses aren't people, regardless of what anti-abortion people may think. Anti-abortion people aren't arguing for the lives of people

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Fetuses. aren't. people.

You and I may believe that, but there are lots of people who don't.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

hakimashou posted:

sorry that you think established facts require belief, and are arguing as if they do

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

hakimashou posted:

Abortion and gun control debates are such eerie mirror images of each other that you get anti-gun and anti-abortion people baffled that they're on opposite sides of the fence and calling one another hypocrites.

Indeed it is weird how anti-abortion people care so much about the life of the fetus but stop caring as soon as it comes out of the womb. It's almost as though pro-life is a misnomer and that anti-abortion is a more accurate description

But on the other hand I actually don't see anything wrong with people being pro-abortion and pro-gun control. That's logically consistent, all that it requires is being able to distinguish between a fetus and a person.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 28, 2018

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Clearly we need to arm fetuses so they can act in self defense.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

QuarkJets posted:

But fetuses aren't people, regardless of what anti-abortion people may think. Anti-abortion people aren't arguing for the lives of people

That doesnt change the structure of their argument at all though, that lives matter more than rights, which is identical to mainstream arguments for gun control.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

hakimashou posted:

That doesnt change the structure of their argument at all though, that lives matter more than rights, which is identical to mainstream arguments for gun control.

That's not that insightful or relevant to anything though

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Flowers For Algeria posted:

That's not that insightful or relevant to anything though

The take away is that the gun 'debate' is irreconcilable and never going anywhere, just like the abortion 'debate.'

They are permanent wedge issues without a middle ground that is satisfactory enough to both sides.

Something like 'ban assault rifles' would be about as popular a compromise as 'ban abortion on saturdays and wednesdays.'

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 28, 2018

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

hakimashou posted:

That's not even their argument. If it were then they would also be in favor of free healthcare for pregnant women, in order to help ensure that the fetus can eventually be delivered (e.g. we all have to sacrifice some of our rights in order to protect that precious life). But they're not in favor of that, so that's not their argument

The true structure of their argument is that pregnancy and childbirth are the god-given punishments for a woman having sex and that we shouldn't interfere with the will of god. They don't give a poo poo about life, that much is evident by how little they care about the resulting child that is born. Relating this back to gun control, they feel like they're responsible gun owners, and if god wills that you be shot then that's not their fault and they shouldn't be punished for it.

Contrasted against gun control proponents, they really just want to implement sane measures that will reduce the death toll caused by gun ownership. This doesn't even necessarily have to infringe on anyone's rights

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 28, 2018

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

QuarkJets posted:

That's not even their argument. If it were then they would also be in favor of free healthcare for pregnant women, in order to help ensure that the fetus can eventually be delivered (e.g. we all have to sacrifice some of our rights in order to protect that precious life). But they're not in favor of that, so that's not their argument

The true structure of their argument is that pregnancy and childbirth are the god-given punishments for a woman having sex and that we shouldn't interfere with the will of god. They don't give a poo poo about life, that much is evident by how little they care about the resulting child that is born.

Contrasted against gun control proponents, they really just want to implement sane measures that will reduce the death toll caused by gun ownership. This doesn't even necessarily have to infringe on anyone's rights

I'm not sure people are as rigorously logically consistent as you make them out to be quarkjets.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

hakimashou posted:

I'm not sure people are as rigorously logically consistent as you make them out to be quarkjets.

You're close to getting it: my entire point is that "pro-life" is a logically inconsistent position whereas "pro-gun control" is logically consistent

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

hakimashou posted:

Something like 'ban assault rifles' would be about as popular a compromise as 'ban abortion on saturdays and wednesdays.'

lol

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

QuarkJets posted:

You're close to getting it: my entire point is that "pro-life" is a logically inconsistent position whereas "pro-gun control" is logically consistent

I dunno about that. You can have a tight consistency with a pro-life stance that takes the form of "it should unlawful for a physician to willingly, knowingly, and deliberately murder [babies]" if you believe that a fetus is the same thing as a baby.

The distribution of health care services to women and children doesn't really rise to the level of willful, deliberate, knowing, etc etc, and lots of other things also wouldn't meet that standard.

Anyway this is drifting away from the point.

If you want to manage your expectations on gun control, peg them to the pro-life movement. A bit of headway here and there, usually on the state and local level. No significant movement at the federal level, and never going to get what they want. Irreconcilable sides, big-picture constitutional hurdles that are insurmountable without an amendment that would never pass.

A fervent and deeply sincere crusade to save innocent lives going up against the sincere and steadfast commitment to defend the rights of the individual, with swarms of politicians salivating over the whole thing, forever.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 29, 2018

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

hakimashou posted:

"hahaha i just made this comparison apropos of nothing guys, why would you think i believe this"

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I believe in a thing called love.

In case anyone was wondering.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

hakimashou posted:

I dunno about that. You can have a tight consistency with a pro-life stance that takes the form of "it should unlawful for a physician to willingly, knowingly, and deliberately murder [babies]" if you believe that a fetus is the same thing as a baby.

The distribution of health care services to women and children doesn't really rise to the level of willful, deliberate, knowing, etc etc, and lots of other things also wouldn't meet that standard.

Anyway this is drifting away from the point.

If you want to manage your expectations on gun control, peg them to the pro-life movement. A bit of headway here and there, usually on the state and local level. No significant movement at the federal level, and never going to get what they want. Irreconcilable sides, big-picture constitutional hurdles that are insurmountable without an amendment that would never pass.

A fervent and deeply sincere crusade to save innocent lives going up against the sincere and steadfast commitment to defend the rights of the individual, with swarms of politicians salivating over the whole thing, forever.

Lol that you think that state and local level anti abortion poo poo hasn't effectively banned abortion in huge chunks of the country, and are calling that not much headway

Shut the gently caress up binch

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

abortions are like guns, typed the man with the world’s smoothest brain

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I'm not sure why the onus is on me to become like gun advocates and refuse to stop the innocent loss of life through my own apathy and inaction.

My politics are internally consistent so I advocate for reduced abortions and reduced guns, you might even say I feel like the natural state of the universe is to be less of things.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

ReidRansom posted:

You poor, poor man.

Like, even if you eat it?

Yes, I have tried it all. A true tragedy. My reaction is awful and horrifying (lots of snot... even with edibles).

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

noted invention of the late 1700s, semiautomatic rifles.

Interestingly enough, yes. The first semiautomatic military rifle was introduced in Austria in the 1780s. The Lewis and Clark expedition actually had one in 1804. The 20 shot Girandoni Air Rifle.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I believe in a thing called love.

In case anyone was wondering.

Just listen to the rhythm of the (blastocyst) “heart”

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Morning Gun thread, you guys should educate yourselves with more children's cartoons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zw1F7O_Ehk

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Lol that you think that state and local level anti abortion poo poo hasn't effectively banned abortion in huge chunks of the country, and are calling that not much headway

Shut the gently caress up binch

That should probably be about the most you expect from gun control as well, if you don't want to be disappointed.

Like Roe v Wade, DC v Heller prohibits an explicit ban, but states might be able to carve out effective bans. Time will tell!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

hakimashou posted:

That should probably be about the most you expect from gun control as well, if you don't want to be disappointed.

Like Roe v Wade, DC v Heller prohibits an explicit ban, but states might be able to carve out effective bans. Time will tell!

Shut up about things you don't understand, namely everything that exists

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

That's too angry for quarter to eight man. Have a beer and calm down before you hurt yourself.

I'm here if you need to talk.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
What strikes me is how terrible these posters are at sophistry. Like they think they're masterfully leading the non-insane people around the bush by clever word-play and convoluted arguments. It's just posting the same lovely gifs, repeating half remembered lines, and getting dunked on by just about anyone, while the general consensus continues to turn against them.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Yeah man, sophistry. It's important.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Just in case anyone was wondering what it looks like when the media is gearing up to canonize a school shooter:

Crazed girls flood Parkland school shooter with fan mail

The very clear message here being that killing a bunch of kids will get you laid.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
This is evoking a similar feeling as sex-predator laws which end up branding teenagers as sex criminals for sexting with their girlfriends

http://wtnh.com/2018/03/28/high-school-senior-suspended-after-a-post-on-social-media/

quote:

Zach Cassidento, a high school senior at Amity High Regional School was suspended and arrested as a juvenile after he posted a picture of a toy gun, or what’s called an “airsoft gun,” on Snapchat.

Zach said, “I didn’t want to put any words and someone misinterpret it as a threat so I figured I posted this picture on my own time, on my property.”

The words “have a nice day” with a happy face is part of the gun’s design. The senior told News 8 his hobby is playing with toy guns and he thought posting the picture was harmless.

Zach added, “I took a picture. It was about half way up the barrel of the gun. It showed the trigger. It showed the magazine. And it cut off just by the stock. It also showed the chamber open with no bullet in there and the warning sticker stating that it is a toy gun.”

:ughh: way to keep us all safe from people with Airsoft guns, clearly this is the real problem

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

hakimashou posted:

Right I didn't infer anything like that. There's a side of the abortion debate that "argues for people's lives." Much like in the gun debate.

Not to start a whole other debate, but there's 100% chance that we'll see a constitutional ban on abortion before we see the repeal of the 2nd amendment. I think that's something that the average D&D poster doesn't take into account when they demand that we start repealing rights.

edit; i'm probably giving way too much benefit of the doubt to the average poster here, it seems more like 'taking rights away' is the end unto itself. funny how much eurotrash works their way into this thread to tell us how we have too much freedom and should be more like them

gobbagool fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 29, 2018

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

gobbagool posted:

Not to start a whole other debate, but there's 100% chance that we'll see a constitutional ban on abortion before we see the repeal of the 2nd amendment. I think that's something that the average D&D poster doesn't take into account when they demand that we start repealing rights.
"not to start another debate, but *FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAART*"

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

"not to start another debate, but *FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAART*"

yeah such reasoned debate here, you have flowers for algeria and fishmech arguing over which parts of the constitution they find inconvenient like a bunch of shut ins playing Risk over 2400 baud modems while their flesh slowly becomes one with the couch

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

gobbagool posted:

yeah such reasoned debate here, you have flowers for algeria and fishmech arguing over which parts of the constitution they find inconvenient like a bunch of shut ins playing Risk over 2400 baud modems while their flesh slowly becomes one with the couch
he says, having just jumped in to make a parting shot. :nallears:

e: vv I didn't realize rent-a-cop needed someone to defend their shitposting.

Elizabethan Error fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 29, 2018

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I'm sorry that you're that committed to shitposting and can't see my point.

Jesus loving Christ dude, do you have no self-awareness?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

gobbagool posted:

edit; i'm probably giving way too much benefit of the doubt to the average poster here, it seems more like 'taking rights away' is the end unto itself. funny how much eurotrash works their way into this thread to tell us how we have too much freedom and should be more like them

Hey, idiot, Eurotrash aren't making you kill people at ludicrously higher rates than the rest of the first world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

gobbagool posted:

Tell me, what is the well reasoned debate you claimed you didn't want to start but apparently desperately want to have concerning the statistical likelihood of a constitutional abortion ban vs. repeal of 2nd amendment.

• Locked thread