Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Randarkman posted:

The Soviets and their supporters killed as many as 2 000 000 people in Afghanistan and drove the survivors to flee the country to live in pakistani refugee camps where their children were educated by wahhabbis (that's the origin of the Taliban to a large extent). Their anti-insurgency strategy mostly came down to attacking and destroying the nearest villages as retaliation for soviet casualties. During the war almost all infrastructure in the south and east of the country was destroyed and the country lost more than half of its population. No one deserves more blame for the destruction of that country than the soviets and their supporters.

You're acting as if refugees are an anomaly and that the inculcation of wahhabism was a simple by-product of being in Pakistan, rather than a specific anti-soviet strategy by the US. The blame for the country's destruction lays firmly at the feet of the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You're acting as if refugees are an anomaly and that the inculcation of wahhabism was a simple by-product of being in Pakistan, rather than a specific anti-soviet strategy by the US. The blame for the country's destruction lays firmly at the feet of the US.

To be honest I don't think the US policymakers gave that much of a poo poo about what was taught in the refugee camps at all. Wahhabism in general and the Taliban specifically didn't really make much of an apperance until after the Soviets left anyway, from the mid-90s onwards. The inculcation of wahhabism came about because a large number of those refugee camps were run by religious organizations out of Saudi Arabia. Then again I simply think the US didn't much care about that aspect of it.

The physical destruction of Afghanistan and its population by the Soviets and their puppet regime (though the puppet regime actually was to a large extent pushed aside to a very secondary role as long as the Soviets stayed and almost immediately saw a massive rise in their popular appeal once the Soviets left) during the war year did more to wreck Afghanistan than anything that has happened since.

But, yeah, I get what kind of person you are.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 26, 2018

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
https://twitter.com/PressTV/status/978201930198593536

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Even if that's the complete truth and not just MbS trying to cover his rear end the point still stands.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Feldegast42 posted:

National Enquirer is owned by a major Trump supporter and has always been right wing / authoritarian in nature. They supported the Nazi's in the 30's along with the Daily Mail.

What was when it was a real newspaper is of little import, in today's world a glowing appraisal of a celebrity like ol MBS wanted should have been published under the imprint of a different magazine at American Media, like Us Weekly or maybe Star.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Almost every segment of Afghan society supported the mujahideen. It was a broad movement. The religious angle largely came about as a result of the power struggle between Khomeini and the Saudi's, who both viewed Afghanistan as an opportunity.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Does anyone know how the Hazara aligned during the Afghan civil war, and back during soviet occupation?

They formed the backbone of the tehran 8.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Volkerball posted:

They formed the backbone of the tehran 8.

Any books you would recommend? Deeper than pop history? Bear went over the mountain was a good read but pretty focused, I guess more information on the factions would be what I’m interested in.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/anadoluagency/status/978231507339894784

Anadolu posted:

Children return to school in Afrin after 2 years http://aane.ws/UKu

These children will learn about their country, Turkey, and their President, R. T. Erdogan.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
So uh, I just saw this surface on Reddit and it's pretty :stonk: https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/878v5x/rihab_allawi_civil_engineering_student_activist/ (NSFW as gently caress)

Complete with a searchable list of 1,5m names of outstanding warrants by the regime.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

LOL at people defending the Soviets in Afghanistan. The very first thing they did was murder the Afghan Head of State who invited them in. They then proceeded to depopulate the countryside through Vietnam-style carpet-bombing. Who gives a poo poo if their leaders offered up leftist talking points? The Najibullah government didn't even fall when the USSR left. The breaking point was when Dostum the Anal Rapist Warlord defected along with his army of Uzbeks.

Even then, they were trying to set up a nominally democratic government during the Peshawar Accords and there was real hope for a lasting peace & political stability until Pakistan ordered its puppet, Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, to wage war against everyone else. Pakistan wants "strategic depth" in case they ever get invaded by India, which is just a dumb excuse to destabilize your neighbor for 3 decades.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Were moving ever closer to a WW2 style conflict in the middle east... Turkish towns had "welcome our new provinces" banners a week ago. Now they announce an intervention into Iraq to "defend" turkey. So what the gently caress guys. Turkey is using NATO membership as a veil to anschluss swathes of syria and oil rich iraqi kurdistan...

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
when can we get schizophrenia included under reasons for a ban? did they ever toss out that nut macdonald or whatever their name was?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Mcdowell was banned for making too many posts in Cspam about how Heaven’s Gate is good.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Sergg posted:

LOL at people defending the Soviets in Afghanistan. The very first thing they did was murder the Afghan Head of State who invited them in. They then proceeded to depopulate the countryside through Vietnam-style carpet-bombing. Who gives a poo poo if their leaders offered up leftist talking points? The Najibullah government didn't even fall when the USSR left. The breaking point was when Dostum the Anal Rapist Warlord defected along with his army of Uzbeks.

Even then, they were trying to set up a nominally democratic government during the Peshawar Accords and there was real hope for a lasting peace & political stability until Pakistan ordered its puppet, Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, to wage war against everyone else. Pakistan wants "strategic depth" in case they ever get invaded by India, which is just a dumb excuse to destabilize your neighbor for 3 decades.

Seems like India is there and has historically supported armed groups in Afghanistan so Pakistan’s reasons for strategic depth holds some water.

India has reasons to be there as well, it’s silly to disregard that when they are both playing the same great game we have seen before.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Cat Mattress posted:

https://twitter.com/anadoluagency/status/978231507339894784

These children will learn about their country, Turkey, and their President, R. T. Erdogan.

Soon they will learn that they are not this thing known as "Arabs", but are simply "Sand Turks".

LeoMarr posted:

Were moving ever closer to a WW2 style conflict in the middle east... Turkish towns had "welcome our new provinces" banners a week ago. Now they announce an intervention into Iraq to "defend" turkey. So what the gently caress guys. Turkey is using NATO membership as a veil to anschluss swathes of syria and oil rich iraqi kurdistan...

Like I was saying before bro, they did this in 1974 and have held their ill gotten gains ever since.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Seems like India is there and has historically supported armed groups in Afghanistan so Pakistan’s reasons for strategic depth holds some water.

India has reasons to be there as well, it’s silly to disregard that when they are both playing the same great game we have seen before.

Yeah, people tend to overlook that India in recent history, and still today, is the biggest security threat to Pakistan (and China). Pakistan's decisions may seem erratic but if you boil it down it's really just good old realpolitik.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Turkey took Menagh and Tal Rifaat without a fight, so it looks like Russia sold out the regime's interests there.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 27, 2018

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Sinteres posted:

Turkey took Menagh and Tal Rifaat without a fight, so it looks like Russia sold out the regime's interests there.
The Russians don't seem to have a choice on that one. If it comes to a fight with the Turks over Syria they're going to lose, and getting stomped by the perfidious Turk would be real bad for Putin's Russia Stronk campaign.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The Russians don't seem to have a choice on that one. If it comes to a fight with the Turks over Syria they're going to lose, and getting stomped by the perfidious Turk would be real bad for Putin's Russia Stronk campaign.

I don't think that's true, or that Turkey would start a war with Russia in the first place (Erdogan ended up backing down hard after shooting down that Russian plane a few years ago). I think Putin just sees it as further leverage in his 'turn Turkey against the US' plan, because now that Turkey's dealt with the YPG in territory under Russian influence, all that's left is the territory under US protection.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Sinteres posted:

I don't think that's true, or that Turkey would start a war with Russia in the first place (Erdogan ended up backing down hard after shooting down that Russian plane a few years ago). I think Putin just sees it as further leverage in his 'turn Turkey against the US' plan, because now that Turkey's dealt with the YPG in territory under Russian influence, all that's left is the territory under US protection.
RuAF has to overtly either Iraq or Turkey to get to Syria. If the Turks decide that Russia needs to gently caress off out of the New Ottoman Empire there is very little Putin will be able to do about it. Because he ain't gonna start bombing airbases in a NATO member state to achieve sir superiority in Syria.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Rent-A-Cop posted:

RuAF has to overtly either Iraq or Turkey to get to Syria. If the Turks decide that Russia needs to gently caress off out of the New Ottoman Empire there is very little Putin will be able to do about it. Because he ain't gonna start bombing airbases in a NATO member state to achieve sir superiority in Syria.

Starting a war with a nuclear power because of a tiny strip of land would be idiotic even if you could win the battle at that site without too much trouble. If Erdogan wanted to fight a war with Russia, it would have been to defend Aleppo, not to take a couple meaningless cities. Plus the idea that you can just start a war with a nuclear power wherever you want as long as it's not inside their actual borders and then count on them not retaliating against you because you have allies is crazy. It's worth keeping in mind that everyone in NATO basically said hey Erdogan, wtf are you doing? when he shot down that Russian plane.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Sinteres posted:

Starting a war with a nuclear power because of a tiny strip of land would be idiotic even if you could win the battle at that site without too much trouble. If Erdogan wanted to fight a war with Russia, it would have been to defend Aleppo, not to take a couple meaningless cities. Plus the idea that you can just start a war with a nuclear power wherever you want as long as it's not inside their actual borders and then count on them not retaliating against you because you have allies is crazy.
Are you seriously suggesting the idea that there is a scenario in which Russia nukes Turkey? Because if so Tom Clancy's zombie just got a stuffy.

All I'm saying is that if it comes down to a serious test of who is willing to spend more blood and treasure to be declared King of the Rubble in Syria Erdogan will win.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Sinteres posted:

Starting a war with a nuclear power because of a tiny strip of land would be idiotic even if you could win the battle at that site without too much trouble. If Erdogan wanted to fight a war with Russia, it would have been to defend Aleppo, not to take a couple meaningless cities. Plus the idea that you can just start a war with a nuclear power wherever you want as long as it's not inside their actual borders and then count on them not retaliating against you because you have allies is crazy. It's worth keeping in mind that everyone in NATO basically said hey Erdogan, wtf are you doing? when he shot down that Russian plane.

Conversely, nuclear powers are not going to start glassing the cities of other nuclear powers over small strips of land. What is at risk is economic sanctions, and furthered Russian fuckery in other parts of the world as pressure to other nations to get Turkey in line.

Russia, the EU, China, India, Pakistan, etc are not launching nukes no matter what happens in Syria/Iraq.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Are you seriously suggesting the idea that there is a scenario in which Russia nukes Turkey? Because if so Tom Clancy's zombie just got a stuffy.

Not really, just that the idea of starting a war with them necessitates remembering that it's a worst case scenario. Plotting out a winnable war with Russia without nukes is actually far more in line with Clancy material though, for what it's worth.

Edit: There's a rumor going around that Turkey traded away territory in southwestern Idlib, near Latakia, in return for Tal Rifaat, which would obviously be a lot more important to Russia since it provides a larger buffer for their base there.

Edit2: This seems big:

https://twitter.com/nedmparker1/status/978655471539191809

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 27, 2018

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

"Soviets and their supporters bad. Those who oppose them, good."
"The enemy of my enemy is my friend" is a sound policy that has certainly never ever backfired in the course of human history.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend" is a sound policy that has certainly never ever backfired in the course of human history.
Hey man you can't make an omelette without creating a few ultra-violent fundamentalist terror groups.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Which armed groups, other than the Northern Alliance (which was backed by the Western powers as well)?

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

svenkatesh posted:

Which armed groups, other than the Northern Alliance (which was backed by the Western powers as well)?

I was referring to the Northern Alliances component parts.

I don’t see how western support is relevant. Pakistan had fought three wars against India since its founding, not the West. It should be obvious why their concern is about India.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sinteres posted:

Starting a war with a nuclear power because of a tiny strip of land would be idiotic

Should have told this to Saddam in August 1990.

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.

fishmech posted:

Should have told this to Saddam in August 1990.

Saddam was an idiot who destroyed his country forever, much more than the 2003 invasion or ISIS ever could.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Sinteres posted:

Not really, just that the idea of starting a war with them necessitates remembering that it's a worst case scenario. Plotting out a winnable war with Russia without nukes is actually far more in line with Clancy material though, for what it's worth.

Edit: There's a rumor going around that Turkey traded away territory in southwestern Idlib, near Latakia, in return for Tal Rifaat, which would obviously be a lot more important to Russia since it provides a larger buffer for their base there.

Edit2: This seems big:

https://twitter.com/nedmparker1/status/978655471539191809

never take anything opec says seriously

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Laurenz posted:

Saddam was an idiot who destroyed his country forever, much more than the 2003 invasion or ISIS ever could.

Well to be fair he did have some outside help.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Laurenz posted:

CIA training at its best.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Coldwar timewarp posted:

It's foolish and short-sighted and has done nothing but consistently create more enemies for Pakistan and spark several civil wars inside both Afghanistan & Pakistan. If you have nuclear weapons and your strategy is still to retreat into the Hindu-Kush Mountains in a neighboring country, that's a colossally bad strategy.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Sergg posted:

It's foolish and short-sighted and has done nothing but consistently create more enemies for Pakistan and spark several civil wars inside both Afghanistan & Pakistan. If you have nuclear weapons and your strategy is still to retreat into the Hindu-Kush Mountains in a neighboring country, that's a colossally bad strategy.

Their strategy is to feast on as much US military aid as they can manage which has worked pretty well. Also to tell the Indians that they will never “defeat” Pakistan as long as they have nuclear weapons. In fact they used the War on Terror to normalize their possession of nuclear weapons, an astute strategic move as it allowed them to avoid war with the US.

They have interests, India has interests, those interests clash in a third country. You can look for benefits to the military regimes through support for the Taliban, they exist. You could also argue that keeping Afghanistan weak prevents a potential separatist movement from really taking hold in Pashtun areas.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lmao

https://twitter.com/lisang/status/979091034461409280?s=19

Edit: he's going to meet with oprah, not be on oprah, but still.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 29, 2018

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Volkerball posted:

Edit: he's going to meet with oprah, not be on oprah, but still.

you gave me a loving heart attack. also it's super cool to know that MBS gives Kissinger, AIPAC and loving zionists more of a hearing than he ever gives his own loving countrymen or any arabs in general.

God loving dammit why does god keep loving us over.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 29, 2018

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

They've been stuck in this prisoners dilemma since oil prices first fell and this is what, their 5-7th attempt at getting out of it? Cooperating never works out because someone always pushes betray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

you gave me a loving heart attack. also it's super cool to know that MBS gives Kissinger, AIPAC and loving zionists more of a hearing than he ever gives his own loving countrymen or any arabs in general.

God loving dammit why does god keep loving us over.

Old Swedish belief was that the prosperity of the land was directly linked to the king, and famines and misery could be remedied by ritually sacrificing the king. So what I'm saying is that, have you tried human sacrifice?