Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

S.J. posted:

They managed to turn Mega Man into Munchkin and I have no loving clue how they did it

Just put some levels on cards, some conditional +this when [that] bonuses, a couple jokey mechanics like "if you talk like a pirate then defeat any ship-based monster", and bam, Munchkin box done.

Does it fit the license? Well, who cares?! People got paid to make Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Uno and there's no reason to care any more about your license than they did! Munchkin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Street Fighter game looks slick also seems to be a prettier, better branded Yashima which I already own. Unless I'm missing something?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Minimum $110 for a physical copy of a supplement, huh? That's... oof. Even for a fancy deluxe edition, that's a big ask.

I'm surprised that they're going for the foil edging again after what a pain it seemed to be to produce the first time, as well as the general mess it leaves around when opening the book.

They are going to have print on demand when the book fully comes out, so I see this kickstarter as really just being a Deluxe Edition. That said, I am much more impressed already with how they are handling this. Book is already nearly complete (actually nearly complete, with post-layout pictures and everything) and they're releasing the pre-layout manuscript to backers a few chapters per week so we don't get more "Christmas" bullshit. I backed it, because they resolved every problem I said would keep me from backing it and I love DBs anyway

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Zach Snyder's Munchkin. C'mon Hollywood you know what to do.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Evil Mastermind posted:

For those who missed it the first time around, the new Torg Eternity KS lets you get the stuff from the original core KS.

Believe it or not, Torg Eternity is actually good.

You can also just get it from Amazon and it will be delivered in mid-July. Cheaper, too.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
If you want an experience analogous to playing Street Fighter in a boardgame, I'd recommend checking out one of BattleCON, Yomi, or Exceed, depending on how you like your fighting games emulated. Those are known good games (well, I'm guessing about Exceed but I think people here like it?) that you can buy right now and don't bother with minis.

I guess the Jasco game is probably your only fix anytime soon for the official characters, though. I'm...not convinced Street Fighter's characters have enough personality for this to be a selling point, but, y'know. To each their own.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

BattleCON is good and is well-established, and Trials of Indines is a great starting set for that. Exceed is... gonna be better, the first set had great gameplay but some questionable art, but the second set I am super hype for after getting a lot of Tabletop Simulator play on it. Exceed season 2 is definitely my game of choice right now when I get the chance online. You can try either game on Tabletop Simulator for free, there are official releases from Level 99 Games. BattleCON is also going to be getting an online version in the foreseeable future, I've been on the alpha test group for that and it's been shaping up really well. Exceed is probably the quickest and easiest of the three games to pick up, I think.

Yomi I don't think works quite as well. It's very tightly designed, tested, and balanced, but until you get a lot of play in you don't actually get to scratch more than the surface. It's got an issue where there isn't much in the way of information from the game itself other than what cards a player has already expended - so there aren't any of the cues you need to "read" somebody like BattleCON or Exceed. So you have to build up a knowledge of the decks and your fellow players to properly try prediction, as opposed to a game like BattleCON where you always know what cards and resources your opponent has and what they might favor. Or, at least, I think it's a lot easier to learn.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

FunkMonkey posted:

Street Fighter game looks slick also seems to be a prettier, better branded Yashima which I already own. Unless I'm missing something?

It's probably not gonna be as good as the first Street Fighter board game

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Is anyone backing Architects of the West Kingdom? It’s from the same guy and company as Raiders of the North Sea which I love.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

Nothing has really topped Street Fighter Monopoly, the finest use of the franchise: "Enjoy the thrill of deal-making, risk-taking and owning it all in the world of Street Fighter."

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I do appreciate the fact that someone looked at the name of the series and decided they definitely had to fight on a series of streets.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Minimum $110 for a physical copy of a supplement, huh? That's... oof. Even for a fancy deluxe edition, that's a big ask.

I'm surprised that they're going for the foil edging again after what a pain it seemed to be to produce the first time, as well as the general mess it leaves around when opening the book.

I don't understand why they don't bother with a cheaper at-cost printing level. You can't tell me that a 40 or 50 dollar tier with at cost printing wouldn't make them money. Unfortunately, I don't see paying in 110 bucks for a physical copy and I gotta believe I'm not alone there. I am also surprised there is no way to get physical copies of the main book at higher tiers.

Looking back at other Onyx Path Kickstarters, though, it doesn't seem like any of this is unusual.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Guy Goodbody posted:

I had that game as a kid.

It was pure garbage rules-wise, but it looked rad as gently caress, and I think I kept the little barbed wire tray as a dice-box for D&D until it disintegrated.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Slimnoid posted:

I think I kept the little barbed wire tray as a dice-box for D&D until it disintegrated.

I bet somebody could make tens of dollars kickstarting a "barbed wire" tabletop dice rolling tray, for the untamed and unruly dice of geek dice fetishists.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm honestly surprised nobody's ever made a River City Ransom boardgame.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

homullus posted:

I bet somebody could make tens of dollars kickstarting a "barbed wire" tabletop dice rolling tray, for the untamed and unruly dice of geek dice fetishists.

Just market it as the "Barbed Wire Steel Cage Match Dice Tray" and have a stretch goal for a "The Range Dice Tray" that's a cattle pasture.

Slimnoid posted:

I had that game as a kid.

It was pure garbage rules-wise, but it looked rad as gently caress, and I think I kept the little barbed wire tray as a dice-box for D&D until it disintegrated.

My friends found it at a thrift store and this was exactly what we found out. It was well worth the $3.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Bistromatic posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on Pacific Rim Extinction? I'm a sucker for the franchise i'll admit but what they've shown of the rules so far seems a bit simplistic.

With Monsterpocalpse coming back out I'll just buy that instead.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm not sure which is better: the potential to suplex a chump through a building as kaiju Zangief or the riveting plot to prevent M. Bison's evil scheme to capture and hold the local high school.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Nothing has really topped Street Fighter Monopoly, the finest use of the franchise: "Enjoy the thrill of deal-making, risk-taking and owning it all in the world of Street Fighter."

Did it at least use Bison Dollars

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

EverettLO posted:

I don't understand why they don't bother with a cheaper at-cost printing level.

The funny thing is that you can get an at-cost copy... If you get the deluxe version. But not below that.

FirstAidKite posted:

Did it at least use Bison Dollars

The dollars have Bison on them but not Raul Julia, so YMMV.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Sunset Over Water was delivered yesterday. Looks great just like Herbaceous and probably won't play it for a hundred years just like Herbaceous.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gloomhaven may be good, but does it have playable two-headed cows?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Gotta say, that looks pretty bad.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Hmm let's see what we ha *sees cow is also wearing a top hat* NOPE

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
the blurb includes the word "zany"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Evil Mastermind posted:

For those who missed it the first time around, the new Torg Eternity KS lets you get the stuff from the original core KS.

Believe it or not, Torg Eternity is actually good.

I told them to give me all the PDFs. Eternity is good. I like Kaah will not be turned into a chump by, oh, the second book or so.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kai Tave posted:

Gotta say, that looks pretty bad.

Oh, I'm not backing it either. I just felt it belonged here.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It isn't even anything to do with the aesthetics of two-headed cows or whatever, but I instantly see a whole bunch of dice, the production values look pretty mediocre, and there are typos all throughout the writing.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Good news in the KS world:

Got most of my Ryuutama pledge refunded today, since I funded at an art tier that won't be fulfilled. It's actually more than I would have paid extra for the art, but Kitkowski sent out extra as an apology.

Looks like the Fragged books shipped for me, hopefully they'll be on my doorstop soon!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cat Face Joe posted:

Sunset Over Water was delivered yesterday. Looks great just like Herbaceous and probably won't play it for a hundred years just like Herbaceous.

I actually got a game of Herbaceous in with mom (I lost). You should try and get some people to play. It's similar to good old fashioned rummy, but the tradeoff between picking up cards from the public garden now for fewer points than later, versus the risk of the other players grabbing them is a really good mechanic.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

This feels like someone really liked the Mothership Zeta DLC.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The art book pdf for Legacy dropped.

And ... wow. I am just stunned at how great and evocative the art is. Your artist did a bang-up job, dude.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mllaneza posted:

I actually got a game of Herbaceous in with mom (I lost).
LOL owned

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

The art book pdf for Legacy dropped.

And ... wow. I am just stunned at how great and evocative the art is. Your artist did a bang-up job, dude.

It is seriously gorgeous artwork. Will a print version be available at some point?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Jimmeeee posted:

It is seriously gorgeous artwork. Will a print version be available at some point?

Sadly it wasn't popular enough for a full post-kickstarter print run. We'll have a few dozen books to sell on the Modiphius webstore once kickstarter fulfillment is done though.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
I assume the Batman game has already been discussed. I’m just discovering it and the miniatures look pretty cool but after watching some of the gameplay videos it looks super boring to me. The energy system just seems to not be appropriate at all for a game that is supposed to be about super heroes doing awesome stuff.

The game is obviously doing well. Am I missing something? I guess people are pledging for the miniatures?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

You guess correctly.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
It's the same system as their previous game, Conan, which was extremely succesfull and very well received. Far as I can tell, the ruleset is very good. However, the pricepoint for the Batman game is just insane to me, 140$ plus shipping, ouch. But since they stated it'll be kickstarter exclusive I'm considering backing it to later sell on ebay.

I really don't get the tons of expansions though. You can either spend a truly obscene amount on a boardgame you've never played with 6 or so expansions, or you will never have a chance to get them at all.

Luebbi fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 30, 2018

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I wouldn't be surprised if 'KS Exclusive!' just means all reprints will be as addons to future campaigns. It's not that uncommon to be able to snag a reprint of a core game through the KS for an expansion, or to get a reprint of the first expansion in the KS for the second.

I've absolutely seen 'Kickstarter Exclusive' minis from an earlier projects get included as pledge levels/addons in later ones, as well.

It's not even technically lying if they only ever use the vague 'Kickstarter Exclusive' phrasing - that could either mean exclusive to the KS project or to the KS platform :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
They said the Conan retail run was basically sold at cost and that they don't want to make the same mistake with Batman.

I can see the logic behind it. People willing to shell out this amount of cash on a game are hardcore gamers and fans, usually informed and willing to Kickstart something they want. The price point is to high for a typical retail impulse buy or present, however.