Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Grunty Industries is not only the greatest level in Banjo Tooie, it might be one of the greatest 3D platformer levels ever made. It features an amazing level of inter-connectivity and sense of space, as well as having the best music track in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Zigmidge posted:

The more you play video games, the less you know about making them.

Why? I have a few theories as to why that could be true, but I'm curious as to your take.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
F1 2017 was on sale like a week ago. I haven't really followed F1 racing since like the 20th century so the rules and cars and stuff are all new to me. Because of the modern rules and cars it feels more like a tryhard arcade game to me than a light sim. Trying to save fuel and using a switch to flatten your wing feels like something that would be at home in F-zero. The campaign is great with AI that is fun to race with. Random weather events keep things interesting and everything looks awesome.

It's just cool to me how simulating rules and real life modern racing hardware translates so well into a badass video game with features I'd expect to find in a new wipeout or something. Probably the best 20 bucks I've spent on games in a while.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sardonik posted:

Grunty Industries is not only the greatest level in Banjo Tooie, it might be one of the greatest 3D platformer levels ever made. It features an amazing level of inter-connectivity and sense of space, as well as having the best music track in the game.
Wow I just... wow. I mean I don't really like much of Banjo Tooie as is-- I respect it for what it achieves, but have no fun playing it--but even on that count Grunty Industries is a bear.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

mind the walrus posted:

Wow I just... wow. I mean I don't really like much of Banjo Tooie as is-- I respect it for what it achieves, but have no fun playing it--but even on that count Grunty Industries is a bear.

and bird?

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

As a busy man on the go, I don't always have time to play a video game but I still want to experience the award-winning story.

It was in this way I learned that Silent Hill 2, despite being lauded as one of the best videogames ever made and "the pinnacle of the survival horror genre," is actually boring and lame.

Silent Hill 2 is less atmospheric than 1 and less scary than 3. It is a good story and an interesting game but lol at people who finally get around to playing it and think it's the greatest thing ever.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Jeza posted:

Why? I have a few theories as to why that could be true, but I'm curious as to your take.

I present to you, exhibit A:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=44

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Careful. In the frenzy to defend nintendo you'll either get

- Buh Buh Buh Buh BUT THE GAME ISN'T THAT SHORT
- Let's plays are stupid so you are stupid for watching one that proves the game is 5 hours anyway!
- You still think Mario is bad five months after release! You are pathetic!
- The person didn't even care about the game so you can't use them completing the entire game as an example of how long it takes to complete the entire game!

It does when the argument is about how long it takes him to beat it? Especially when he is half heartedly playing it?

The universal concept here is that none of you guys can apparently handle the very thought of someone not liking a Mario game which is a multitude of examples of exactly what I'm talking about. I make a simple statement of fact about the game to criticize it but you guys try to claim it isn't true and when that doesn't work you try and attack me or the way in which I came about that knowledge.

Thanks for the assists. Mario is overrated as gently caress and you aren't arguing rationally which is what makes my opinion unpopular.

I'm curious to know which ending he got in 5 hours, but anyway it's not that people can't "handle the very thought of someone not liking a Mario game" it's that when you say why you don't like it your reasons are just bad and sometimes factually wrong. Like this speedrun argument. Speedruns take tons of prep and practice, so they aren't showing an accurate representation of playing the game, and seeing how long it takes to get to the wedding by bypassing the exploration focus of the game just nullifies any enjoyment you could have taken out of playing the game in the way that it can be enjoyable. If your argument is based on the content included in the game, you won't see all the zones in 5 hours unless you're getting 5 moons every 3 minutes, which you won't do unless you know where all the poo poo is to begin with. If it's "how long to beat the story" then you've got much bigger targets for this, like Fallout 3, which is actually supposed to be about the narrative, and what little narrative that game has is bad. Mario games are not about narrative, and at the end of the day if you don't like the focus of the game that's fine, but be honest about it. Say you don't like exploration-based platformer gameplay. Say you don't like the movement options available to Mario and getting around like a plumber ninja, as that is a major point of praise for Mario titles. I'd say I don't like RTS games by and large, but my reasons for that focus on what is actually supposed to be enjoyable about those games. Would you similarly say that fighting games are bad because the story mode is short?

Focusing specifically on Odyssey, the game gives you the gameplay available and gives you a story ending and roll credits after collecting about 15 percent of the moons that are collectable in the game world, so it feels good to have done, and if you want to keep playing, there's tons more to do. If you feel like the act of playing the game is fun, the game is not over just because you hit the credits, and the moons that are available after the credits are often much more enjoyable to get than the ones before the credits, but it CAN BE over at that point if you are just happy to be done with it. I personally liked the gameplay, and Mario games derive enjoyment from the gameplay, not the story, so for me the game was not over at the credits and I was disappointed with the length of the game until I saw that I was nowhere near done with what the game had to offer. If you don't take that offer, that's on you, not the game.

Play the games you like, and poo poo on games that are bad despite their best efforts when you play those games on their own terms. The dumb poo poo you're taking Odyssey to task for has you looking like an idiot not because you don't like it, but because you are saying poo poo doesn't count in its favor when it absolutely does for anyone who liked playing the game. Just say you don't like the gameplay, because if the core of your argument is based on lack of content, the only thing that would make that hold up is if you rely on expecting Mario platforming games to have heavy emphasis on the narrative when the plot is always just an excuse to put in new environments.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 29, 2018

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
GBS: Home of xenForo 2.0 > Unpopular Videogame Opinions! (No Nintendo Please)

signalnoise posted:

Focusing specifically on Odyssey, the game gives you the gameplay available and gives you a story ending and roll credits after collecting about 12 percent of the moons that are collectable in the game world, so it feels good to have done, and if you want to keep playing, there's tons more to do. If you feel like the act of playing the game is fun, the game is not over just because you hit the credits, and the moons that are available after the credits are often much more enjoyable to get than the ones before the credits, but it CAN BE over at that point if you are just happy to be done with it. I personally liked the gameplay, and Mario games derive enjoyment from the gameplay, not the story, so for me the game was not over at the credits and I as disappointed with the length of the game until I saw that I was nowhere near done with what the game had to offer. If you don't take that offer, that's on you, not the game.

You admit mario games aren't about the story and are all about the gameplay and that even you were disappointed with the length of the game. Just because your brain makes you think it's fun wasting your time replaying the same levels 3-4 times and fighting the same bosses multiple times in extremely cheap copy/pasted game content to collect 800 additional meaningless stars that have no point is on you, not me.

It really sounds like you are embarassed or regret grinding for however many dozen hours on what is an unfulfilling and bad game experience because your brain made you want to collect all of (thing) that was available so now you are trying to pretend that it was game content and that the game is elevated simply by multiplying it's content in the laziest way possible.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

VictorianQueerLit posted:

GBS: Home of xenForo 2.0 > Unpopular Videogame Opinions! (No Nintendo Please)

You admit mario games aren't about the story and are all about the gameplay and that even you were disappointed with the length of the game.

It's neat to see exactly the spot where someone stopped reading

Or I guess you could be simply trolling, as you think people who spend time on SA are embarrassed about wasting time

What an incredibly strange pick for a thread to troll

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 29, 2018

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
I'm not doing a line by line rebuttal tearing down your :qq: wordwalls because this isn't the thread for that. This is the unpopular opinion thread where people can't handle that Mario Odyssey is actually pretty mediocre and that just because it allows you to sperg out grinding 1,000 moons that doesn't mean that counts as gameplay.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Weird that you use a derogatory term like "wordwalls" when a post that takes longer to read is clearly better.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
There hasn't been a good open world game since GTA3

Roguelikes suck and the genre only exists today as an excuse to release games without spending the time/money to create actual game content

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Not every low level tactical game needs a big map like total war.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Problem is that you’re using that label on the most forgiving rpg in existence. It’s like calling Far Cry 3 opaque because how are you going to know what guns are good.

In a world where FF:Mystic Quest exists? Nah.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

imagine throwing a huge fit because you can't figure out how to build a wizard in a rpg :laffo:

Bucko try completing fallout 2 pacifist on your first playthrough with no references if you wanna whine about this kind of stuff.

forgetting to put int on a wizard and getting ripshit shat on in dragon age is nothing you should feel good about taking to a thread like this NOOB

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

basic hitler posted:

imagine throwing a huge fit because you can't figure out how to build a wizard in a rpg :laffo:

Bucko try completing fallout 2 pacifist on your first playthrough with no references if you wanna whine about this kind of stuff.

forgetting to put int on a wizard and getting ripshit shat on in dragon age is nothing you should feel good about taking to a thread like this NOOB

you truly are a basic hitler

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
To be fair dragon age origin had way too many spells, also for better or worse the spells had friendly fire, which while an interesting concept, made things a little tricky. Divinity original sin's spell system is similarly a mess too, but at least most of the spells are worthwhile, even if you're basically going in blind unless you spend an hour researching what each tree builds into.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sardonik posted:

To be fair dragon age origin had way too many spells, also for better or worse the spells had friendly fire, which while an interesting concept, made things a little tricky. Divinity original sin's spell system is similarly a mess too, but at least most of the spells are worthwhile, even if you're basically going in blind unless you spend an hour researching what each tree builds into.

My Divinity: Original Sin advice is to take a water mage and then literally whatever, it doesn't matter too much after that. After they patched the difficulty down from "autosave every five feet" it basically became a better Dragon Age.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

signalnoise posted:

I'm curious to know which ending he got in 5 hours, but anyway it's not that people can't "handle the very thought of someone not liking a Mario game" it's that when you say why you don't like it your reasons are just bad and sometimes factually wrong. Like this speedrun argument. Speedruns take tons of prep and practice, so they aren't showing an accurate representation of playing the game, and seeing how long it takes to get to the wedding by bypassing the exploration focus of the game just nullifies any enjoyment you could have taken out of playing the game in the way that it can be enjoyable. If your argument is based on the content included in the game, you won't see all the zones in 5 hours unless you're getting 5 moons every 3 minutes, which you won't do unless you know where all the poo poo is to begin with. If it's "how long to beat the story" then you've got much bigger targets for this, like Fallout 3, which is actually supposed to be about the narrative, and what little narrative that game has is bad. Mario games are not about narrative, and at the end of the day if you don't like the focus of the game that's fine, but be honest about it. Say you don't like exploration-based platformer gameplay. Say you don't like the movement options available to Mario and getting around like a plumber ninja, as that is a major point of praise for Mario titles. I'd say I don't like RTS games by and large, but my reasons for that focus on what is actually supposed to be enjoyable about those games. Would you similarly say that fighting games are bad because the story mode is short?

Focusing specifically on Odyssey, the game gives you the gameplay available and gives you a story ending and roll credits after collecting about 15 percent of the moons that are collectable in the game world, so it feels good to have done, and if you want to keep playing, there's tons more to do. If you feel like the act of playing the game is fun, the game is not over just because you hit the credits, and the moons that are available after the credits are often much more enjoyable to get than the ones before the credits, but it CAN BE over at that point if you are just happy to be done with it. I personally liked the gameplay, and Mario games derive enjoyment from the gameplay, not the story, so for me the game was not over at the credits and I was disappointed with the length of the game until I saw that I was nowhere near done with what the game had to offer. If you don't take that offer, that's on you, not the game.

Play the games you like, and poo poo on games that are bad despite their best efforts when you play those games on their own terms. The dumb poo poo you're taking Odyssey to task for has you looking like an idiot not because you don't like it, but because you are saying poo poo doesn't count in its favor when it absolutely does for anyone who liked playing the game. Just say you don't like the gameplay, because if the core of your argument is based on lack of content, the only thing that would make that hold up is if you rely on expecting Mario platforming games to have heavy emphasis on the narrative when the plot is always just an excuse to put in new environments.

Please spend more paragraphs defending the honor of a children's cartoon.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Hah

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

steinrokkan posted:

I could write reams about Dragonball Z

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

dont even fink about it posted:

My Divinity: Original Sin advice is to take a water mage and then literally whatever, it doesn't matter too much after that. After they patched the difficulty down from "autosave every five feet" it basically became a better Dragon Age.

Water magic is useless when your whole party are undead. Which you should because by golly they let you.

Except for when you want that raincloud spell to put out fires. Which spread really easy around you.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Roguelikes suck and the genre only exists today as an excuse to release games without spending the time/money to create actual game content

This thread is for unpopular opinions, not just making poo poo up and seeing who gets mad.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I don't like platformers. If the game is mostly about jumping and landing on things like super meat boy I don't see the appeal.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Away all Goats posted:

I don't like platformers. If the game is mostly about jumping and landing on things like super meat boy I don't see the appeal.

I agree, but seeing the resurgence of platformers on Steam makes me think we are in the minority.

AutumnDDP
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer
I hate Super Meat Boy. Like, it's playable, but the controls feel floaty and unsatisfying. The whole formula of super short, difficult levels is just a pain in the rear end to play. I have to avoid most Steam platformers since so many of them follow the same template.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

dont even fink about it posted:

After they patched the difficulty down from "autosave every five feet" it basically became a better Dragon Age.

If you don't roll any of the trap classes/racial combinations, and ignore whatever the squiggly line in your malformed brain you call an acceptable difficulty curve is.

Sardonik posted:

Divinity original sin's spell system is similarly a mess too, but at least most of the spells are worthwhile, even if you're basically going in blind unless you spend an hour researching what each tree builds into.

In the sequel you get armor classes that makes an engagement about as enjoyable as the average ME2 shootout.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Divinity 2 was a goddamned terrible game comprised of mainly good ideas.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Magnitogorsk. posted:

GTA 5 owns, Saint's Row owns, Just Cause owns, Elder Scrolls owns.. and it goes on..

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Binding of Isaac and DoomRL (a little indie game.. highly recommended) are head and shoulders above the rogue like formula rip-offs. Randomness and hardcore are both good things.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zigmidge posted:

The more you play video games, the less you know about making them.

This is and is not true. It's true if you haven't already looked into how stuff works. If you DO understand how stuff works, then it's quite helpful.

It's like knowing movie special effects and watching a scene going "Oh, they should have used practical there. drat the lighting is bad here. The color correction in this scene sucks," rather than going "This looks ugly." It's things you won't notice unless you already are looking for them.

If you DON'T know that poo poo then you're just going to get bad ideas and have no idea where the corners are cut and just come up with the most "super awesome cool game ever with like 500,000 enemies"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wipeout>Mario Kart

Feb 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
There are only three good games in existence: allycat, scorched earth, and dc:ss

And zzt

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Wipeout>Mario Kart
Mario Kart in general sucks on toast. Once I grew out of endless 4-player matches on the N64 I realized the series just isn't that much fun.

Wipeout on the PS3 was a really fun, if not crazy-challenging time.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
I don't understand Pokemon at all. It's the shittiest part of a JRPG - tedious turn-based grinding - somehow made even slower and more repetitive than usual, without a story or characters or an interesting setting behind it. It's like someone tried to design the lamest game possible.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Zorodius posted:

I don't understand Pokemon at all. It's the shittiest part of a JRPG - tedious turn-based grinding - somehow made even slower and more repetitive than usual, without a story or characters or an interesting setting behind it. It's like someone tried to design the lamest game possible.

Why are you grinding in pokemon?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Zorodius posted:

its a game for little children, the idea is to play the most relevant game when you are 8, and then move on to other games, and not to follow the series well into your twenties like half the internet seems to

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The worst part about Pokemon is how hard it is to catch interesting Pokemon. So many are left to late-game or even post-game. God forbid you spread things out or allow an area to have more like six or seven catchables.

Feb 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
In my opinion you gotta catch them all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
The best game is Fighting Force for the PS1. This is incontrovertible and is a fact established by over two sciencsticians.