Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer
Is buying two boxes of aggressors a silly idea/too much at once?
Currently have two lots of DI Primaris, Redemptor dread, contemptor dread, primaris libby and primaris powerfist captain.

I've only played the game twice but I hope to change that soon.
Was thinking of getting a squad of scouts to be a cheap troop filler - whats the general preference between shotguns and bolters for a chaff/blocker unit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Thanqol posted:

Exactly. I feel like any plan that relies upon surprise is a bad plan. The best turn based video games are the ones that give you perfect information when you're looking around and planning your next move. A lot of the time I'll straight up explain my battle plan to the enemy because an experienced player would be able to tell just by looking at it and harder opponents make better games.

I don't think this is necessarily required with more experienced players, but with the less experienced ones I think it definitely helps them. I certainly appreciate when I have the opportunity to look through my opponent's eyes and see what they're thinking about the matchup, list, terrain, tactics, etc...

I do think when it's on more even footing, thinking of a plan your opponent doesn't think of is a fun part of the game, though.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Thanqol posted:

Exactly. I feel like any plan that relies upon surprise is a bad plan. The best turn based video games are the ones that give you perfect information when you're looking around and planning your next move. A lot of the time I'll straight up explain my battle plan to the enemy because an experienced player would be able to tell just by looking at it and harder opponents make better games.

Incidentally, I'm going to be putting some Dark Elfs together after the new Codex drops and I have to theorycraft a way to make each squad+HQ visually distinct while also thematically coherent. And this is great for me because I love subfactions in armies like this, the whole thing sounds exactly like how I plan and build armies visually.

I've been prowling Dark Eldar paintings through imgur and links in the OP. I think what I've liked so far is giving all regular armor that deep blue, and doing that light layering thing up to a different color for each of the factions. Medium blue for Cabal, Purple for Wych, Green for Haemonc. That way everything is still on the same cool side but should pop distinctly.

On the other hand it seems like DE and other skinny+armored units are actually kind of hard to paint well and look good at the army scale. The individual models look incredible but when zoomed out it gets kind of muddied imo.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Battlefleet Gothic taught me to ask my opponent if they're familiar with Eldar. If they say yes, I carry on. If not, I usually explain what rule-breaking stuff I have. D-Scythes were a fun one to explain in the last edition combined with the no-scatter, deep-strike Archon.

In the Adepticon BFG tourney I played a Chaos player who couldn't have been more kitted out to crush an Eldar fleet. The only problem was he never faced an Eldar fleet. So I tried to explain to him as best I could how they worked but he didn't really get the full picture until my poo poo was darting in and out of asteroid fields to drop large torpedo and lance salvoes and then disappear again.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Just moved to a new house and my copy of Forgebane got delivered and placed inside days before we signed our contract. :peanut:

Pumped to bolster my Necrons and then jump into an AdMech force. What are people using for Techpriests these days?

Edit: ...Huh. They made a clamshell plastic Engineseer in 2014?

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 30, 2018

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

PierreTheMime posted:

Pumped to bolster my Necrons and then jump into an AdMech force. What are people using for Techpriests these days?

Edit: ...Huh. They made a clamshell plastic Engineseer in 2014?

In addition they also sell a metal Techpriest for a second version

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-AU/Imperial-Guard-Techpriest-Enginseer-2

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
yeah both of the models are solid and Enginseers are some good poo poo

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

TheChirurgeon posted:

I play steel legion and take them in most tournaments to re-heal Leman Russ'

-but- I'd say your points are almost always better spent on a Astropath.

Or

Another Astropath

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Or another guard squad to screen your russes.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The Warglaive kit is loving great.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
templates are good because you can put down the flamer template and go BWOOOOOSH and then roll your wounds

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Two Beans posted:

templates are good because you can put down the flamer template and go BWOOOOOSH and then roll your wounds

Lol if you don't already go "pew pew" for lasguns (which never had a template).

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
In 30k, even bolters have templates.*
:smug:

*Seeker squad special ammunition only.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Safety Factor posted:

In 30k, even bolters have templates.*
:smug:

*Seeker squad special ammunition only.

Why would you go "pew pew" for a bolter?

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
So I decided to catalog my mental illness collection and gathered everything up and took pictures.

30k Iron Warriors

30k/40k admech

Tyranids

Whole album here with some closer shots
https://imgur.com/a/w3Jzl

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Hencoe posted:

So I decided to catalog my mental illness collection and gathered everything up and took pictures.

30k Iron Warriors

30k/40k admech

Tyranids

Have you tried painting your loving mans? I guess at least your IW are semi painted because you picked the legion almost as easy as necrons to paint.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Booley posted:

Have you tried painting your loving mans? I guess at least your IW are semi painted because you picked the legion almost as easy as necrons to paint.

Nope, painting is for people who cant win games.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Hencoe posted:

Nope, painting is for people who cant win games.

gently caress that explains it all

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Hencoe posted:

An embarassingly small number of IW Rapiers.

Shameful.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Hencoe posted:

30k Iron Warriors

30k/40k admech

Tyranids

I don’t understand how this happens.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Uroboros posted:

The first step is admitting they have a problem.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Uroboros posted:

Me either to be honest. Years of expendable income.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Uroboros posted:

When a man tires of juice, he quenches his thirst with resin mans.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Hencoe posted:

30k Iron Warriors

30k/40k admech

Tyranids

I'll paint if you send to me. Need some airbrush practice

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm MAD ABOUT THOSE MARS-PATTERN PREDATORS.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Tell me the story about how you lovingly painted the Titan's head, then decided "gently caress this".

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He just got the titan assembled, and the head is the first thing he painted.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
His legit FW titan is like a chocolate bunny, hollow on the inside, and they're still sending him the replacement parts

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I kind of like the gold helmet with black body, think it would look dope if the black were edge-highlighted.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

BULBASAUR posted:

His legit FW titan is like a chocolate bunny, hollow on the inside, and they're still sending him the replacement parts

This still cracks me up, given that my roommate paid $450 for a CCON Warlord, and it is immaculate.

Hencoe I still want to buy those hollow legs from you, to make a sweet terrain piece, damnit! Sell them to me, or I'll sic the Slack murderbot on you! :argh:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TheChirurgeon posted:

I just got a plastic Enginseer and yeah that's a nice model. My only gripe is that it's not quite as hosed up and weird as the TPD or Cawl but I guess Enginseers are meant to be a lot closer to human.

Uroboros posted:

ikr, who buys all that and doesn't have it all painted

On the subject of winning games by surprise, I beat a Nid player in game 2 of GT heat this year with order bullshit - spamming movex3 and advance+fire. He wasn't expecting my infantry to pile 24" across the table in a turn and then shoot all his Termagants off an objective.

Thing is it surprised me too because I had no idea I could do any of that, I was in a tight spot and thought 'maybe you should read your own fuckin rules???' and turned to the Orders page and saw this magical bullshit appear. So it was less concealing stuff from my opponent than it was having nfc about how my own army played.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Jewel

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

fwqualitycontrol.jpg

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Look its not their fault they're just used to materials with toxic flexibility

BULBASAUR posted:

Does he have to return the chocolate bunny titan? Being an unreasonably patient dude I'd be totally hype for the kind of fuckup that nets me two titans for one :toot:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The choice that FW fans made to stay on the broken 7.x ruleset told FW everything they needed to know about this population’s expectations of quality.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schadenboner posted:

Lol if you don't already go "pew pew" for lasguns (which never had a template).

i ran my guard units for the first time a few weekends ago and "Gunners, kill on sight!" is genuinely fun to say in-game

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
New Dark Eldar preview: Strategems
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/03/30/codex-drukhari-preview-stratagemsgw-homepage-post-3/

As per the prior days, these look great, and have amazing names

e: Agents of Vect is particularly loving brutal and can just torpedo your whole game if you aren't prepared for it

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 30, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
drat, that could be incredibly painful if your army is built around a certain stratagem.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Losing 3cp and failing honour the chapter would pretty much end your game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Stopping me from using Descent of Angels would be a game changer, and they don’t even need a six for that. Dark Eldar are going to be seriously nasty to play which does seem pretty fitting.