Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

cool new Metroid game posted:

here's a bit of a weird one but are there any games about climbing things on PC? (or I guess 3ds at a stretch)

I like climbing things in video games. climbing poo poo in asscree or the saboteur was cool. trying to jump climb up crap in dumb f2p mmos back in the day was also pretty sweet. I played some of that zelda game on my bros switch recently and I liked climbing things in that too. oh yeah using lams in deus ex to climb everything was loving lol and good. I think maybe a mountain climbing game would be extremely my poo poo but I don't think such a thing exists.

Grow Home and Grow Up? Also yeah Getting Over It is essentially about climbing, but it's also intentionally infuriating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

thanks for the recommendations! that getting over it game sure looks like.. something :stare: grow home looks cool and is currently 75% off so I'll grab that.
e; grow up is also 75% off and there's a bundle on steam with a further 10% off so I'll grab both. cheers.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I'm looking to get into RTS games, anyone got recommendations for a good place to start? I'd prefer something quicker, more colorful, more arcade than simulation. I tend to get overwhelmed by managing multiple groups quickly, so something that eases you into that would be really nice!

Ideally it would have a good campaign.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Trick Question posted:

I'm looking to get into RTS games, anyone got recommendations for a good place to start? I'd prefer something quicker, more colorful, more arcade than simulation. I tend to get overwhelmed by managing multiple groups quickly, so something that eases you into that would be really nice!

Dawn of War 2, full stop. Also, Company of Heroes.

Both are RTS games focused around controlling a single squad through small scale areas, utilizing cover and special abilities like grenades and buffs. Dawn of War 2 is set in the Warhammer 40k universe, and has a great campaign with character progression and gear customization, while Company of Heroes is set in WW2.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 22, 2018

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Dawn of War 2, full stop.

Huh, I already own it for some reason. Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a look!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Starcraft II's Terran campaign is free to play and it's not too hectic on Easy or Normal. DoW2 definitely has a better campaign, though.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Dawn of War 2, full stop. Also, Company of Heroes.

Both are RTS games focused around controlling a single squad through small scale areas, utilizing cover and special abilities like grenades and buffs. Dawn of War 2 is set in the Warhammer 40k universe, and has a great campaign with character progression and gear customization, while Company of Heroes is set in WW2.

Unless I'm just uninformed about specific ones, I was under the impression Company of Heroes has totally standard campaigns. No single squad antics. (And DoW2 technically isn't really single squad either.)

Dawn of War 2's campaign is fantastic, but it plays a lot closer to a singleplayer MOBA/Diablo-like in practice; you're just juggling four squads at a time instead of a single character. No base building, persistent level-ups/stats/gear, etc. I'd still totally recommend it as a great starting point but if you're looking to dip your toes into more traditional RTS mechanics it's not the place to look. (The skirmish mode is also terrible.)

That said, jumping from DoW2 to Company of Heroes or the original Dawn of War games wouldn't be hard. All of them have roughly the same squad-based mechanics.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 22, 2018

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Trick Question posted:

The 8-bit series is a good place to start, quite basic but still enjoyable. Of course Age of Empires II never gets old as well. Just don't run into multiplayer on your first day :).

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

Unless I'm just uninformed about specific ones, I was under the impression Company of Heroes has totally standard campaigns. No single squad antics. (And DoW2 technically isn't really single squad either.)

Dawn of War 2's campaign is fantastic, but it plays a lot closer to a singleplayer MOBA/Diablo-like in practice; you're just juggling four squads at a time instead of a single character. No base building, persistent level-ups/stats/gear, etc. I'd still totally recommend it as a great starting point but if you're looking to dip your toes into more traditional RTS mechanics it's not the place to look. (The skirmish mode is also terrible.)

That said, jumping from DoW2 to Company of Heroes or the original Dawn of War games wouldn't be hard. All of them have roughly the same squad-based mechanics.

You're right, it had been a while. It plays the same as DoW2 mechanically, but it is more normal rts with multiple units. That said, it is much smaller scale and far less fiddly than say, Starcraft, and would be a good jumping in point.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
GOG.com has The Curse of Monkey Island available for $6.99 or like $4 if you buy it with Monkey Island 1 & 2 special editions.

Curse of Monkey Island is one of my all-time favorite games, I cannot recommend it enough.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If you like point & click adventures, you owe it to yourself to play the first three Monkey Islands.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Been wanting to play a coop game that's a bit more persistent than lobby based ones like vermintide, what are some recent good ones?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Have there been made anymore mafia management games like Gangsters: Organized Crime? Not the Godfather games & Omerta: City of Gangsters, actual management/strategy games where the combat isn't the main gameplay core.

edit: remembered and added the name of Omerta CoG

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 25, 2018

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Has anyone played Sea of Thieves/is there a thread

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
It's a 60 dollar early access game. Having a group and playing on boats at least slows down the realization how barren it is of actual poo poo to do.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Nalesh posted:

Been wanting to play a coop game that's a bit more persistent than lobby based ones like vermintide, what are some recent good ones?

Divinity: Original Sin 2

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Sjs00 posted:

Has anyone played Sea of Thieves/is there a thread

I have, it's got really good sailing and is a lot of fun but lacks content. Severely. Play it free with the Xbox Game Pass (even on PC, yes) trial, you'll get it out of your system in 14 days for sure.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General
What sort of games are there for turn based strategy for the Android OS that would be similar to hearts of iron? I have come across a game called World Conqueror, but it's full of pay to unlock unit upgrades and such. I like the setting and game play of it, but I don't care to deal with gated content. Do any of you know of a game that's similar without the pay to unlock stuff?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Is there any game that has a similar minigame to the cooking battles from Suikoden II? Or that kind of thing expanded to be its own game? I loved that minigame so much but I've done it a billion times now.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

Is there any game that has a similar minigame to the cooking battles from Suikoden II? Or that kind of thing expanded to be its own game? I loved that minigame so much but I've done it a billion times now.

It really is one of the best minigames. Battle Chef Brigade has completely different mechanics, but a similar Iron Chef theme and is probably worth checking out.

Obviously Dr Panda's Restaurant 2.... but only if you're under five years old (my kid loves it).

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
My girlfriend has recently discovered that she loves video games, so I'm seeking games that are either 1) 2 player, but with super low skill requirements 2) games that are really entertaining to watch someone else play. Stuff in the latter category is like Horizon: Zero Dawn or Phoenix Wright. We have a PS4, any suggestions?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Lechtansi posted:

My girlfriend has recently discovered that she loves video games, so I'm seeking games that are either 1) 2 player, but with super low skill requirements 2) games that are really entertaining to watch someone else play. Stuff in the latter category is like Horizon: Zero Dawn or Phoenix Wright. We have a PS4, any suggestions?

David Cage games. PS4 has a great bundle of Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls. They are great for watching and passing the controller at times. Also, Until Dawn.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lechtansi posted:

The LEGO games are fun mindless 2-player co-op.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Seconding Until Dawn, it's technically single player but you can help each other make decisions as you play through a schlocky interactive horror movie.

Diablo the 3rd is always good mindless fun and very easy for a beginner to pick up. Also ROCKET LEAGUE.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Lechtansi posted:

My girlfriend has recently discovered that she loves video games, so I'm seeking games that are either 1) 2 player, but with super low skill requirement

You must play Overcooked with your GF. It doesn't require skill but it DOES require communication and it's a ton of fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMwwpIT6czo

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Lechtansi posted:

You haven't said what games she likes, if RPGs are fine you could play Divinity: Original Sin in co-op and on the easiest setting.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

ROCKET LEAGUE.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I want something with really good feeling punchy shooting or "gunfeel" (and I don't really know how to say that without sounding like I should be put on a list), probably an FPS. Examples are games like FEAR 1 and Call of Juarez Gunslinger, the opposite would be stuff like... Prey or Hitman, I guess?

It's very subjective and know it when you see it, I've been playing a lot of strategy games and RPGs so I guess I have a craving to shoot a dude with a big magnum and have it feel good. Haven't played any of the modern Far Crys, considering 4

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DOOM.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Bulletstorm

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

BLACK.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
DOOM, Nuclear Throne.

Terminus
May 6, 2008
Crysis 2

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
SWAT 4. Soldier of Fortune 2.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I want something with really good feeling punchy shooting or "gunfeel" (and I don't really know how to say that without sounding like I should be put on a list), probably an FPS. Examples are games like FEAR 1 and Call of Juarez Gunslinger, the opposite would be stuff like... Prey or Hitman, I guess?

It does sound a lot like Bulletstorm, I was surprised when you didn't list it.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
The Bolt Action rifle in Far Cry 2

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Payday 2

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's very subjective and know it when you see it, I've been playing a lot of strategy games and RPGs so I guess I have a craving to shoot a dude with a big magnum and have it feel good. Haven't played any of the modern Far Crys, considering 4

The population is probably way down, but Red Orchestra 2 has some of the most "punchy" guns I know.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want to get in to the Heroes of Might and Magic and Armored Princess type games. What's a good starting point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Far Cry games are pretty good in that regard actually. If you shoot someone in the head, they're going down. I'm liking 5 better than the previous ones, as there's less collecting and just about the right amount of stuff on the open map.

I also quite enjoyed Battlefied 4 and Battlefield: Hardline single-player campaigns.