Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
A glut of full auto AK/AR pattern rifles in a post apocalyptic USA is completely reasonable.

I'm more excited for each new episode of this show now than I have been for years. Completely giving up on any kind of improvement and just waiting for the GIFs in this thread is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Out of curiosity/ forgetfulness, was there ever s point where Carol said Shane was right for beating the poo poo out of her abusive husband in S1?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

LadyPictureShow posted:

Out of curiosity/ forgetfulness, was there ever s point where Carol said Shane was right for beating the poo poo out of her abusive husband in S1?

#shanewasright

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hasselblad posted:

A glut of full auto AK/AR pattern rifles in a post apocalyptic USA is completely reasonable.

The irony is a semi-automatic would be way way way better in the Walking Dead universe anyway. You need to aim shot heads, you need to watch your ammo, etc.

Well I take that back. If your enemies like to bunch together in a big blob, full auto would be nice (though they can't hit poo poo anyway)

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Capn Beeb posted:

M4A1s are automatic and could likely be found in national guard depots, on dead soldiers, etc. If you have access to milling equipment and knowledge of firearm mechanics, you could craft the necessary components to convert a semi auto rifle to auto. It's even easier if you're working with an AK pattern rifle.

I mean poo poo they could just make rudimentary tube guns out of plumbing scrap but the big problem would be making a reliable magazine.

but lol expecting any of this level of detail in this show :haw:

Maybe Eugene is cranking them all out. Seeing as a machine shop has poo poo all to do with reloading. Also maybe he is the one who machined the magazines of perpetuity.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Blazing Ownager posted:

The irony is a semi-automatic would be way way way better in the Walking Dead universe anyway. You need to aim shot heads, you need to watch your ammo, etc.

Well I take that back. If your enemies like to bunch together in a big blob, full auto would be nice (though they can't hit poo poo anyway)

Uh, why does that show me as the person you are quoting? :iiam:

TTerrible posted:

LoL, looking like a full auto carbine is not the same as being a full auto carbine. Given the sheer number of full autos and suppressors on the show, we may as well go with the idea that in the TWD universe, the NFA never happened.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 30, 2018

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

?

Whoever posted about full auto not exactly being 100% desirable is probabyl right though.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I finally caught the last episode and it was by far the worst one yet.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

In rewatching the episode, I don't know whether I'd give the "I can't believe how stupid this is" award to Tobin, or the kid. Walkers have snuck up on people before, but it's been a long time since they've done this much damage. It almost seems like they wanted to remind you that they can still kill people the old-fashioned way, are still a threat, and to lend credence to the threat of Negan's plan. Problem is, this type of kill is passé and you have to be a lot more clever about it if you want it to be believable now. That he and the others managed to wipe out seemingly every homeless Hilltop survivor is loving ridiculous

The kid opening the gate… OK, I know why he did it. He wanted to stand up to the Saviors with a loving rifle and wanted the revenge for his brother to be more personal. He's blinded by revenge, but… I'm actually surprised the writers didn't notice how loving stupid it looks for him to open that gate. It's like a cringe moment; there had to be a better way to arrange that conflict

Runner up would be Simon and his goons—I don't know why he thought it was a good idea to whistle upon approach. My stomach was literally turning when he was doing it

Gregory's sliminess is actually a highlight in this episode. Like every time you see him he's trying to gain the upper hand while feigning earnestness, and I love that he's learned nothing. I like his "I told ya so" to Maggie, him trying to get the gun from the boy. All good there

At least the cast is tightening up, I finally feel like I know all the post-Jesus characters and can enjoy their interactions, but yea this episode hurt. At least it wasn't boring like some episodes this season, I'd honestly dig an episode like this if it came across more logical, but things felt forced/rushed, like they really just had to get this conflict out of the way for whatever they have coming up next

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://screenrant.com/walking-dead-spinoff-frozen-zombies/

Instead of having a separate winter show so that they can use up everyone's patience even faster, they should have just produced 6-10 episodes of The Walking Dead per year with an appropriate budget

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

galenanorth posted:

Instead of having a separate winter show so that they can use up everyone's patience even faster, they should have just produced 6-10 episodes of The Walking Dead per year with an appropriate budget

but they make soo much moneyyyyyyy $$$ :homebrew:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Spellman posted:

Runner up would be Simon and his goons—I don't know why he thought it was a good idea to whistle upon approach. My stomach was literally turning when he was doing it

I'll take a stab at this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvjxRrX6Z2c

Negan and the Saviours have been intimidating, abusing, torturing, and killing Hilltoppers for many months now.

Negan's signature move is to whistle on approach, using operant conditioning to put fear and terror into his victims and subjects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJybtpsn8lM

So whistling on approach isn't some one-off random stupid thing or mistake that posters are complaining about. It's a deliberate and integral part of the Savious' psy ops, or psychological warfare.
It can cause his opponents to freeze in their tracks, to pause and wonder What The gently caress these sadistic assholes have up their sleeve.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 30, 2018

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Binary Logic posted:

I'll take a stab at this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvjxRrX6Z2c

Negan and the Saviours have been intimidating, abusing, torturing, and killing Hilltoppers for many months now.

Negan's signature move is to whistle on approach, using operant conditioning to put fear and terror into his victims and subjects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJybtpsn8lM

So whistling on approach isn't some one-off random stupid thing or mistake that posters are complaining about. It's a deliberate and integral part of the Savious' psy ops, or psychological warfare.
It can cause his opponents to freeze in their tracks, to pause and wonder What The gently caress these sadistic assholes have up their sleeve.

yeah except they already used this trope back with the guv'nah, albeit very briefly

it's almost like TWD has no original ideas!!

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Binary Logic posted:

I know what the whistle means, it's just they had already succumb to the Hilltop's guns once, and walked out from their hiding place on the darkest night ever, towards an armed building, like they were loving invisible or something

Whistling upon approach makes no sense when the enemy has cornered you and knows exactly where you are

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Simons whole thing is that the Saviours usual tricks don’t work since Rick and the gang showed up so they have to exterminate them.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
But what I'm never going to get over is the new discovery that if a person gets any bit of zombie guts or blood in their bloodstream they will turn, even without dying.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Spellman posted:

I know what the whistle means, it's just they had already succumb to the Hilltop's guns once, and walked out from their hiding place on the darkest night ever, towards an armed building, like they were loving invisible or something

Whistling upon approach makes no sense when the enemy has cornered you and knows exactly where you are

I posted a video of Negan approaching the gate, whistling. He was out in the open. The enemy could have easily shot him.

There's a lot about the show that makes no sense, but the Whistling Approach is consistent with past actions.

Rick's had several opportunities to kill Negan but decided to hesitate and talk instead. That sort of plot armour is more problematic to me.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 30, 2018

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Binary Logic posted:

I posted a video of Negan approaching the gate, whistling. He was out in the open. The enemy could have easily shot him.

Yea, but Negan's whistling in the scene you posted didn't come after being gunned down and pinned behind a school bus

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

TTerrible posted:

Simons whole thing is that the Saviours usual tricks don’t work since Rick and the gang showed up so they have to exterminate them.

Yeah, he's not trying to intimidate them, he is trying to murder them all. Whistling was dumb and out of character.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I'm assuming the takeaway from the last episode will be that they're running out of ammo and decide they have to remain offensive before double the saviors return, which means back to attacking them on their own turf

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I have a feeling some goony fuckin war machines will be built by Eugene to chuck zombies over the wall

Probably not this next episode but the following one

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yeah, he's not trying to intimidate them, he is trying to murder them all. Whistling was dumb and out of character.

https://vimeo.com/262547980

1. Big gunfight.
2. Action stops. No shots fired.
3. Simon lifts head from cover. No shots fired.
4. Simon moves forward, a few others come out from cover. No shots fired.
5. Simon explicitly says, "These people have run before"
6. Split into 3 groups, spread out. No shots fired.
7. Simon moves forward, whistling like Negan.
8. When they are close to house, they're attacked.

Whether Simon whistled or not, whether they were bunched up or scattered, would not have changed anything.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 30, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Binary Logic posted:

1. Big gunfight.

Whether Simon whistled or not, whether they were bunched up or scattered, would not have changed anything.

You are white knighting the oddest thing.

Defending ANYTHING about this show without irony is pretty laughable.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 30, 2018

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

galenanorth posted:

Frozen zombies are awesome! They're frozen.. till they thaw, and are zombies! This one-shot gimmick implies that we've got a worthy show on our hands!

moist turtleneck posted:

I have a feeling some goony fuckin war machines will be built by Eugene to chuck zombies over the wall

Probably not this next episode but the following one

Rutger Hauer did this in "Flesh and Blood" with a plague-ridden dog, it's definitely a solid medieval tactic.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Binary Logic posted:

This is why I say I'd like an episode like this if it were just a little more logical. Yea, of course he whistled for the reason you specified (to threaten)

I just don't see how you could walk in the direction the gunfire was coming from, towards a building with armed occupants inside, with windows facing the front yard that you're approaching from, in a battle you're already losing, and expect anything other than what happened to have happened. The hubris of whistling like you've already won in conjunction with its propensity to make noise, which he, seconds earlier, instructed the previous goon who's running around back not to make… I was mouth agape. I had to watch the episode twice just to make sure I wasn't missing something

Especially since they had the bus ready to catch any Saviors that tried to drive through the gate; the Hilltop was clearly ready, and Simon knew this. But I suppose you're supposed to accept that his bloodthirst in that moment overwhelmed his cognitive functions. Kind of like the kid, but... this is an adult. And this conflict needed to be arranged better

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

galenanorth posted:

I remember people saying S3 had that big time-skip because ‘oh wintertime, they’d just be holed up the entire time, it’d be boring!’

Give us Walking Dead: Buffalo

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The entire reason Simon is going to try to exterminate the Hilltop/Alexandria gang is because he explicitly states theirnormal scare tactics aren't working and that they aren't afraid so the a.) whistling would have no effect and he knows it and b.) he knows they are wanting to fight and wouldn't have run so he wouldn't have come to that conclusion.

The writers just literally made him come to two bad conclusions completely out of context of what he had JUST SAID just so they could push the dumb mass of people into Hilltop's trap. It's the stupidest and laziest writing ever.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I was reading this article from last year where the author makes the point that 4/10 of the lowest imdb-rated walking dead episodes were from season 7 as an indicator that quality is slipping.

If you do the same thing now, season 8 bumps all but the worst two from this list, and it's still got 3 episodes to go. The only non-season-8 episodes to make the list are Negan's Lucille cliffhanger and the Tara oceanside episode.

code:
Rtg    Ep.
6.9	  8-9
6.9	  8-1
6.8	  8-4
6.7	  8-8
6.7	  8-2
6.5	  8-7
6.3	  8-3
6.2	  6-16
6.1	  8-6
5.8	  7-6
I'm surprised this last episode wouldn't make the list, because that was dumbest poo poo, bad enough to get me hate-spreadsheeting apparently.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Remy Marathe posted:

I was reading this article from last year where the author makes the point that 4/10 of the lowest imdb-rated walking dead episodes were from season 7 as an indicator that quality is slipping.

If you do the same thing now, season 8 bumps all but the worst two from this list, and it's still got 3 episodes to go. The only non-season-8 episodes to make the list are Negan's Lucille cliffhanger and the Tara oceanside episode.

code:
Rtg    Ep.
6.9	  8-9
6.9	  8-1
6.8	  8-4
6.7	  8-8
6.7	  8-2
6.5	  8-7
6.3	  8-3
6.2	  6-16
6.1	  8-6
5.8	  7-6
I'm surprised this last episode wouldn't make the list, because that was dumbest poo poo, bad enough to get me hate-spreadsheeting apparently.

No...words...they...should have sent...a poet...

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Binary Logic posted:

1. Big gunfight.

As bugs bunny zips into the house, Elmer Fudd turns to the camera and goes, "I guess he wan off." He then begins approaching the house going "heeeere wabbit" before surprise, Bugs is right there with a shotgun, that just covers him black crap as he runs off

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Remy Marathe posted:

Give it some time. The initial ratings always seem to be way too high. This is based on 2 or 3 eps I bothered to look up right after they aired, but still. I think even 8.1 had a rating of around 9 at first.

Edit: I was thinking of 7.1 and that's still sitting at 9.0. What the hell?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
The zombie fell down the stairs and nobody woke up.
I just can't deal with that.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Here’s a fun new game called ‘I Can’t See poo poo’. Based off AMC screenshots can you figure out what in the hell is happening in these scenes?!

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

1) Walker biting fat woman or man's neck
2) Darryl choking walker while someone else pokes it with an ice pick
3) Walker child hisses in background
4) A butterfly I saw in a dream once? Wait, no if I cross my eyes I can see Rick maybe, stabbing a walker against a wall.

They're way overdoing the darkness to cover lazy fight scenes, but if those first 3 are totally unintelligible you might also have a display that's miscalibrated or unable to display some detail in the blacks.

Taear posted:

The zombie fell down the stairs and nobody woke up.
I just can't deal with that.
Yup. Simon's assault tactics were bad enough, but the thought of an entire mansion full of post-battle veterans sleeping so soundly with no sentries is just...like... what

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Also the guy from the Saviours who spoke the most in the prison cell sounds just like Jason Marsden (Dash X from Eerie Indiana) and it's strange.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Remy Marathe posted:

1) Walker biting fat woman or man's neck
2) Darryl choking walker while someone else pokes it with an ice pick
3) Walker child hisses in background
4) A butterfly I saw in a dream once? Wait, no if I cross my eyes I can see Rick maybe, stabbing a walker against a wall.

They're way overdoing the darkness to cover lazy fight scenes, but if those first 3 are totally unintelligible you might also have a display that's miscalibrated or unable to display some detail in the blacks.

Apparently the fourth one was at one point where that Savior rescued Siddiq by braining that Savior zombie with a shovel. I mean yeah, you can make out what’s going on in those screens, but when it was in motion though it was a hot mess.

If I had to look up why there was suddenly a walker in the Savior pen, ya goofed AMC. Apparently she got hit with an infected arrow, she was put back in the pen, and absolutely nobody noticed she was sick as poo poo.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I've had to turn up my brightness for all the recent night episodes. Not something I've ever had to do previously for TWD.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Blazing Ownager posted:

Uhhhhh... literally most military weapons are automatic. The main assault rifle was nerfed to 3-round bursts because idiot recruits can't handle full auto and keep thinking it's the Rambo button instead of the "careful burst of your choice" option.

When was the last time you saw a three round burst from any mother fucker on this show?

In which time Judith ages four years. I guess zombie apocalypse sin babies age in super speed spurts

Blazing Ownager posted:

Any single gun show has more full automatics than have ever been seen on Walking Dead, to be honest.

Why do you think people are always freaking out about readily available full auto weapons on the news?

Because the news media, like most laymen screaming about "machine guns", are loving sensationalist retards. There hasn't been a full auto used in a crime in decades. They are an "almost never" thing, but they're loving scary, so....
Just like when the news was reporting on the Vegas shooter, they still have articles up saying there might have been "full auto weapons used, but we don't know yet", and there weren't. "But goddamn does it sound scary and we'll get ratings and lots of readers and ....oh...oh...oh god I'm cumming again!"
Pretty much the same stuff as with the MG-32 and 44. Sure the fire rate was goddamned fast and sounded scary as gently caress, but they were basically useless unless you were right on top of them. But the government had to make a video explaining this because, well, they sounded scary and they needed to do something to keep everyone from making GBS threads their pants

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 31, 2018

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LadyPictureShow posted:

Here’s a fun new game called ‘I Can’t See poo poo’. Based off AMC screenshots can you figure out what in the hell is happening in these scenes?!

AMC Executive: "Can we just hear the battle? It'd save us a ton on costs and hide the fact that the Saviors are an infinite respawning mob of the same 20 guys."
Gimple: "Sure thing boss, hand me some more cocaine and I'll tell the lighting guy to take a few months off. I got ya covered!"

Remy Marathe posted:

Yup. Simon's assault tactics were bad enough, but the thought of an entire mansion full of post-battle veterans sleeping so soundly with no sentries is just...like... what

My favorite isn't even that, because it should have never gotten to that point (or the zombie down the stairs) for one simple reason: TWO DOCTORS DID NOT CARE THAT EVERYONE WAS BURNING UP AFTER MINOR INJURIES. Literally Saddiq was off loving around with prisoners and the main doctor talking midnight strolls when, yeah, there was a sudden rash of high fevers which - look at Gabriel - are dangerous even if not lethal. But no, she's so cool she sends them to sleep on the floor in the main room despite sweating like they're in the desert and being barely able to stand.

Like.. the level of stupidity for all involved is just mind boggling. I am pretty sure if you made two factions comprised entirely of special education students they'd be the smartest motherfuckers in Walking Dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.