Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

suck my woke dick posted:

I can actually buy that Zuck & friends were in denial about how facebook has problems for a very long time, even without requiring them to be cynical assholes.
"Problems? We are making mad money here, there are no problems there!" is probably their permanent state of mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Toplowtech posted:

"Problems? We are making mad money here, there are no problems there!" is probably their permanent state of mind.

"Problems? It turns out saving the world is wildly profitable, there are no problems there!" is probably closer, given the self-congratulatory bullshit that techlords seem to buy into.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

"Problems? It turns out saving the world is wildly profitable, there are no problems there!" is probably closer, given the self-congratulatory bullshit that techlords seem to buy into.
Oh yeah. Making the world a better place*.

*For billionaires and Russian autocrats wishing to influence elections.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

idgi

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

maciej ceglowski is the mostly cool and good idlewords anti-techlord but what film is that from? yellow and black is like star wars but it, uh, doesn't seem to fit?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

According to IMDB, it's Silicon Valley.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Jess Frazelle used to work at Docker, was harassed, Docker didn't stand up for her and now she's at Microsoft doing container things

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

luminalflux posted:

Jess Frazelle used to work at Docker, was harassed, Docker didn't stand up for her and now she's at Microsoft doing container things

well serves her right

this female was clearly unable to fit into our superior work environment and change the world, it's good she hosed off and got hired by some boring nondisruptive shithole company

:mrapig:

duz posted:

According to IMDB, it's Silicon Valley.

well that actually fits

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I worry that "Tech Nightmare Thread" is going to cause lots of people to show up to gripe about their Macbooks bouncing off granite.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
"Granite set to disrupt multi-billion dollar laptop industry. "

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

maciej ceglowski is the mostly cool and good idlewords anti-techlord but what film is that from? yellow and black is like star wars but it, uh, doesn't seem to fit?

For the record Maciej is actually incredibly toxic to work with, and routinely bullies, puts down and generally ignores anyone who doesn't want to follow his exact grand plan and dares to have their own ideas.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
why are most of the women consultants and not advisors, is that because advisor is a permanent role as opposed to a one-of or is it subtle sexism

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

apokaladle posted:

For the record Maciej is actually incredibly toxic to work with, and routinely bullies, puts down and generally ignores anyone who doesn't want to follow his exact grand plan and dares to have their own ideas.

I saw someone accuse him of that on Twitter the other day, but from what I could work out the entire argument centered around someone thinking “You only hear about Google’s failures and not all of the times we don’t fail” was a good argument.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
And, as we all know, any woman who expresses an opinion on the internet is legally bound to reply to each and every well-actually-nerdsnipe quote-tweet as long as the concern troll gave out some yubikeys :rolleye:

I didn't think latching onto an activist's comment with a pet issue he dug up a few weeks back was the height of discourse that deserved all these maudlin takes about being blocked.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Trevor Hale posted:

I saw someone accuse him of that on Twitter the other day, but from what I could work out the entire argument centered around someone thinking “You only hear about Google’s failures and not all of the times we don’t fail” was a good argument.

Things went slightly deeper than that, and there's a background of him claiming progressive values and solidarity and all, while constantly making GBS threads on anyone who's actually trying to organize on the ground and do things he hasn't vetted to go along with his pet projects. I've cordially loathed the man for around a year now myself, and in that time he's gone to bat for Sam Altman suggesting we need to allow homophobia to do physics while being a prick and pulling out of any solidarity work with software engineers who literally got fired for unionizing, among lots of other poo poo. He's written some tolerable stuff and is apparently a decent fundraiser, but seriously, gently caress that rear end in a top hat.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

apokaladle posted:

Things went slightly deeper than that, and there's a background of him claiming progressive values and solidarity and all, while constantly making GBS threads on anyone who's actually trying to organize on the ground and do things he hasn't vetted to go along with his pet projects. I've cordially loathed the man for around a year now myself, and in that time he's gone to bat for Sam Altman suggesting we need to allow homophobia to do physics while being a prick and pulling out of any solidarity work with software engineers who literally got fired for unionizing, among lots of other poo poo. He's written some tolerable stuff and is apparently a decent fundraiser, but seriously, gently caress that rear end in a top hat.

The Sam Altman thing doesn’t sound right. I’ve seen him poo poo all over Altman. Admittedly, I did a twitter detox earlier this year, but I could’ve sworn he was a vocal critic of all of Altman’s bullshit.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DACK FAYDEN posted:

why are most of the women consultants and not advisors, is that because advisor is a permanent role as opposed to a one-of or is it subtle sexism

How are you assigning genders here?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Trevor Hale posted:

The Sam Altman thing doesn’t sound right. I’ve seen him poo poo all over Altman. Admittedly, I did a twitter detox earlier this year, but I could’ve sworn he was a vocal critic of all of Altman’s bullshit.

definitely checkable receipts time

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Pinboard/status/941428630781026304

He's poo poo on Altman plenty for being the epitome of everything awful in Silicon Valley, and rightfully so, but he also has a very noticeable habit of "not understanding" strong reactions to discriminatory patterns in tech if it doesn't advantage him to do so. He's not public enemy number one, but he's a toxic personality and I really hope that someone who's listened to calls him on his poo poo someday.

Anyway, I don't want to completely derail, so here's a depressing read about how many Facebook employees still drink the kool-aid.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

divabot posted:

definitely checkable receipts time

I’m on mobile which apparently doesn’t have a twitter advanced search function?

He definitely dunks on Altman. https://twitter.com/Pinboard/status/892782422022082560?s=20

I’m guessing this is the tweet in question. https://twitter.com/Pinboard/status/941428630781026304?s=20

My own incredibly charitable way of reading this is “I’m not sure why anyone is surprised or outraged by this dude who is a very vocal friend of Peter loving Thiel is expressing his lovely opinions”. But I can’t see the tweets around this post to be sure.

https://twitter.com/Pinboard/status/790347673341665280?s=20

edit: Ok, yeah. We were looking in the same spot.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

apokaladle posted:

Things went slightly deeper than that, and there's a background of him claiming progressive values and solidarity and all, while constantly making GBS threads on anyone who's actually trying to organize on the ground and do things he hasn't vetted to go along with his pet projects.

So, a DnD poster :v:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Oh wait, wrong Altman.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
is that the south park episode where stan's dad makes the world's biggest poo poo

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

No it's Dead Space, which turned into a massive pile due to publisher-meddling.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/passantino/status/981275452365946880?s=21

https://twitter.com/tom_winter/status/981271484411899904?s=21

wait when the gently caress did Zuckerberg rename the loving hospital?

the Bay Area is a dystopian hellworld

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Rhesus Pieces posted:

You can choose to go to the one named after the Salesforce CEO instead.

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

Inescapable Duck posted:

is that the south park episode where stan's dad makes the world's biggest poo poo

Dead Space 3 was about as good as said poo poo, whereas 1 and 2 were anything but lovely.

Altman be praised.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/FastCompany/status/981287746114342912

at last, tech has invented taxes

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Well, it is a new facility, right?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Spazzle posted:

Well, it is a new facility, right?

Zuckerberg paid to equip the new SF general hospital wing. City bonds only allowed for the construction of the building itself.

EDIT: $75 million gets you naming rights.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Reading the article it's closer to microloans or bonds than taxes. You are supposed to get a ROI not just the satisfaction of helping fund the rehab of lot 549.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Choice quotes

quote:

Cooperative Capital will determine if the investment can produce at least a 6% annual rate of return

quote:

.. also plans to offer an online class called Get Financially Lit that will teach the basics of investment and finance.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

La Brea Carpet posted:

Reading the article it's closer to microloans or bonds than taxes. You are supposed to get a ROI not just the satisfaction of helping fund the rehab of lot 549.

Right, it's privatized taxes, as in "if it's not profitable, it's not worth doing" which always works out great for social necessities.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

ryonguy posted:

Right, it's privatized taxes, as in "if it's not profitable, it's not worth doing" which always works out great for social necessities.

Doesn't matter what you call it.

The minimum investment is 1k and your vote count depends on how much you invest.

The people who would benefit the most from neighborhood revitalization can't afford to have their voice heard.

It is a thin veneer of SV respectability on a house flipping scheme.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Sage Grimm posted:

Choice quotes

Debate & Discussion › Tech Nightmare Thread: Get Financially Lit

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Facebook is having another bad day.

article posted:

"Given the scale and sophistication of the activity we've seen, we believe most people on Facebook could have had their public profile scraped in this way," said CTO Mike Schropfer in the post.

woke kaczynski fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 4, 2018

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Do we know what news org was sued to delay publishing the 87M number until FB could slip it into a blog post and pretend they're transparent?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Well it will certainly silence the people crying for Zuckerberg to be replaced as CEO. They will lose their voices shouting like madmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What exactly was the methodology of the scraping? What are "account recovery and search tools that let users look people up by phone numbers and email addresses" and how does that let you "take information from profiles"? What, does Facebook feed you the account's email or password when you click Forgot Password?