Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GoodBee posted:

Hm. Deathwatch Overkill is a stand-alone board game? It's pricey but is it any fun on it's own? The kill team made of marines from different chapters would probably be fun to paint but I wouldn't want them for anything except for the board game part.

If I get the minis from this set would I need anything other than the White Dwarf with the rules?

Generally the standalone board games are meh and people buy them to get the 40k minis. YMMV.

Deathwatch is always made from marines from other chapters, but they play with Deathwatch rules in 40k.

Nah I think that's all you need, I mean maybe tokens or whatever and a mini tape measure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

GoodBee posted:

Hm. Deathwatch Overkill is a stand-alone board game? It's pricey but is it any fun on it's own? The kill team made of marines from different chapters would probably be fun to paint but I wouldn't want them for anything except for the board game part.

If I get the minis from this set would I need anything other than the White Dwarf with the rules?
I really like Overkill. It's basically a dumbed down, much simpler Space Hulk, but the missions have a good amount of variety, the abilities of the marines keep them from feeling too samey, and the genestealer cult player can pull off some neat tricks with their deck. If you're looking to pick up the models, at least give the game a shot before throwing all the cardboard away.

If you just want the cult side of things, I'm sure you can probably still find them on ebay.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The rules are online here if you're interested in reading them (or don't want to buy the white dwarf mag)

https://spikeybits.com/2018/02/genestealer-cults-gang-for-necromunda-rules-revealed.html

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Overkill probably isn't the right choice for necromunda unless you absolutely have to have the aberrants or can sell the deathwatch side to make it worth it. It's all fixed poses with a duplicate of each, so it's good for filling in a GSC army but not for getting different weapons and poses. If you were going to spend that much I would just get the genestealer cults battleforce on ebay, it's a good discount on those kits when bought together.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Booyah- posted:

Overkill probably isn't the right choice for necromunda unless you absolutely have to have the aberrants or can sell the deathwatch side to make it worth it. It's all fixed poses with a duplicate of each, so it's good for filling in a GSC army but not for getting different weapons and poses. If you were going to spend that much I would just get the genestealer cults battleforce on ebay, it's a good discount on those kits when bought together.

And it's a decent start to an army. You just add the genestealer side of overkill later to boost numbers.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Overkill is, I believe, the only way to get a hybrid with grenade launcher, which you definitely want for your GSC gang as it’s hands down the best weapon in the game currently.

Also you get cool character minis.

And you might even be able to use the Overkill board sections for special Necro scenarios - I can’t remember but they look like they would work.

But you would also probably want the Neophyte Hybrids box as well as that comes with shotguns and pistols and various special weapons etc.

Snidhog
Dec 31, 2007

ineptmule posted:

Overkill is, I believe, the only way to get a hybrid with grenade launcher, which you definitely want for your GSC gang as it’s hands down the best weapon in the game currently.

There's a grenade launcher in the neophyte hybrid box. I'm pretty sure the only models exclusive to Overkill are the aberrants.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

GoodBee posted:

I should probably accept that I'm never gonna paint up my deathwatch overkill box. If anyone wants mine NOS (as in box has been unwrapped but all contents and sprues are untouched) for 100 bucks plus shipping in US, lemme know. That's 40% off retail.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Hnnnnggggghhhh

Galaspar posted:

Orlocks in bright orange, you say?

I'm currently painting up some of the new ones in the same scheme, since the lasgunners are out and it would be handy to have a combat shotgun or two in the mix.

:gizz:

Orange is such an underused color in the 40kverse.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
quite like this mining gang conversion

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Moola posted:

quite like this mining gang conversion

Oh poo poo, I've been looking for a way to do hazmat suits for my Deathstrike crew (rocket fuel is hella nasty even by 40k standards) and scion heads are perfect.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
That’s astonishingly good.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

bonds0097 posted:

I should probably accept that I'm never gonna paint up my deathwatch overkill box. If anyone wants mine NOS (as in box has been unwrapped but all contents and sprues are untouched) for 100 bucks plus shipping in US, lemme know. That's 40% off retail.

That's tempting. I'm quoting this so I can find you again if I decide to take you up it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I had plans to do some convicts in orange jumpsuits to put with my GSC but I never got around to it. Need to do that...

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Can anyone recommend any good Newcromunda blogs / sites? I love following 'Tale of 4 Warlords' style blogs and campaign reports, and would love to see something with the new game. I just won a copy + Gang War on eBay, and I'm super pumped to get back into it after all these years. Need something to tide me over until I can hopefully start playing in a few months.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
There have been a number of campaign report threads on Yaktribe over the years. You can go and look through the archives there. My group has run a few of them, and is planning to start another when we get our proper campaign off the ground (likely to wait until the Van Saar plastics come out so that we have more house factions released than not).

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Speaking of tale of four warlords what do you recommend outside of Necromunda?

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

ineptmule posted:

There have been a number of campaign report threads on Yaktribe over the years. You can go and look through the archives there. My group has run a few of them, and is planning to start another when we get our proper campaign off the ground (likely to wait until the Van Saar plastics come out so that we have more house factions released than not).

I'll take a look, I've seen some of the stuff there. Is there anything with the new version?

Rhaegar posted:

Speaking of tale of four warlords what do you recommend outside of Necromunda?

There aren't a ton, sadly.. Off the top of my head, here is one that sort of meets the bill. Basically a blog where a few guys build up their forces over time, small scale at first, and fight multiple battles. I enjoyed their style. Nothing fancy, but fun and the first thing I thought of. You may need to go back into their archives to see what I am talking about.

xhorikwar.blogspot.com/

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Hell yeah, Goliath weapon packs!
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/03/26/forge-world-preview-goliath-weapon-packsfw-homepage-post-2/

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I got my gorkamorks out of storage and they're actually larger than I remember

Gonna make good Goliaths I reckon

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
These look solid, but they've only shown two of the three. Interestingly, they're still missing a plasma gun so I wonder if that'll be in the third set or purposefully missing from the house list.

I don't have plans for a Goliath gang, but I'm glad FW is pumping these out. Hopefully the Orlocks aren't far behind. :ohdear:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Nice details on the weapons but IMO it is lazy design to ape the arm poses so completely. The main thing Goliaths needed was more ways to pose the minis and this doesn’t help.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Some kind, patient person out there has put together a comprehensive 2017 Necromunda Underhive Rules Transcript that reorganizes and includes all base and expansion rules for the game. It looks like a very promising project that incorporates the FAQs and WD articles.

Two of my favorite things: it's actually organized and it's on a white background.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

berzerkmonkey posted:

Some kind, patient person out there has put together a comprehensive 2017 Necromunda Underhive Rules Transcript that reorganizes and includes all base and expansion rules for the game. It looks like a very promising project that incorporates the FAQs and WD articles.

Two of my favorite things: it's actually organized and it's on a white background.

link?

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?
https://www.reddit.com/r/necromunda/comments/7er2y8/necromunda_underhive_rules_transcript_en/

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

noice

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib

Awesome, thanks for that!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

I didn't post it because of it being :filez:. I figured the name would be enough to get you there.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Got back from Adepticon on Monday, and I am loving exhausted. With all the free stuff, my suitcase was 48.5 lbs, just 1.5 lbs shy of the weight limit - I was sweating it until I saw those numbers flash on the scale.

I managed to take Best Painted in the Warmaster tourney with my 30 day Vampire Counts! There were only ten players, but it was still nice to see that those 30 days were well spent. That being said, the army/my dice performed miserably - the first game, I couldn't get an order off and all but one unit was stuck in the backfield for two turns.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Tbh ten people for Warmaster is nine more than I would have guessed, lol. But you did a great job painting and should be proud.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Weirdly, we usually get more for Warmaster than Epic, which I find bizarre. It's not usually 10 though - more often than not it's around 6.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Yeah it's odd to me that you'd get that many for a dead game that simulates a dead game. Epic at least still simulates a world that is still around.

Ten dudes is about what we used to get when I started playing Necromunda at AdeptiCon. I'm sure it's larger now.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I don't think the Old World being dead has anything to do with it - the game is still good, and as long as the player base is there, you'll still have people playing the game. I'm just surprised that many showed up to Schaumburg (though three were from my local group in CT and three came in a group from Michigan.)

As for NM, yeah, it's still a draw. It fills to capacity every year, and this year was no exception, even with the rules changes. In fact, the TO, Jeremy, ran additional games through the weekend and was able to get an assistant to run games of the Zone Mortalis version concurrently. I want to say there were four games of each over the weekend, though it may have been a high as six.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Just saw a leak of the French cover for WD April, Chaos Cults for Necromunda are on the features list!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Liquid Communism posted:

Just saw a leak of the French cover for WD April, Chaos Cults for Necromunda are on the features list!

I am glad I bought my Necromunda bases last week! Now to dig up some unpainted cultists.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Does anyone know if the gang cards in the base set are the same as the Escher and Goliath cards that are sold individually?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

hells yeah!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

berzerkmonkey posted:

Does anyone know if the gang cards in the base set are the same as the Escher and Goliath cards that are sold individually?

They're not, I think there's a big spreadsheet, or it's in that rules compilation. Both the generic and gang specific cards are different than what's in the box.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Cool thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

berzerkmonkey posted:

Booyah- posted:

They're not, I think there's a big spreadsheet, or it's in that rules compilation. Both the generic and gang specific cards are different than what's in the box.

I've used each set a bunch, and although there are some pretty good cards in the Escher and Goliath packs, they're by no means necessary.

Escher has some nasty stuff in theirs, but the Goliath's set from the main box is already pretty good. Orlock pack was kind of a let down to be honest.