Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I, too, would like Avery Brooks to continue to chew scenery wherever he is. Even if he's crazy now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The Noodle Incident posted:

I know it would be an unfilmable bloated mess, but I would have liked to see a First Contact that included some of the DS9 cast. I get that the point of The Emissary is that Sisko is no longer stuck in his memory and has started to move on, but I still would have liked him and Picard to really express to each other what they lost and why they both need to stop The Borg at any cost. The only time we get to see them interact that I can recall is when Picard still outranks Sisko and is basically telling him to get his poo poo together or retire so they can get someone to do this job, and to have them meet on equal footing and both have catharsis and come to understand each other would have been fun to watch. A bonus of this is that instead of Nemesis, we might have gotten a full movie with the DS9 cast. :aaaaa:

It's interesting because in the current age of television TNG/DS9 would of ABSOLUTELY had a few crossovers.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I, too, would like Avery Brooks to continue to chew scenery wherever he is. Even if he's crazy now.

He's not crazy, he's just a college professor these days. He was very straightforward about seeing DS9 as mostly just another job. He's never dwelled on it or considered it his glory days to relive.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Brooks isn’t crazy, he’s a world-class troll who likes to gently caress with anyone who isn’t being straight with him.

His interview with Shatner is gold.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Cythereal posted:

He's not crazy, he's just a college professor these days. He was very straightforward about seeing DS9 as mostly just another job. He's never dwelled on it or considered it his glory days to relive.

I would love to have him as a theatre professor. He may not have explicit passion about a specific project but he does seem to have passion about the craft and the characters he plays.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

I too can hear Sisko shouting "Jean-Luc, blow up the drat ship!" in my head clear as day.

It would have never happened because Stewart wanted to be an action hero after 7 seasons of being the diplomatic captain and the cast would have been too big to manage without the movie being 4 hours long but I think the better scenario would have been Picard on the planet with Cochrane and most of the senior crew doing the whole "future of humanity" thing and Riker in orbit with Sisko and the Defiant crew. Borg start to take over, Sisko starts getting obsessed again like he was after Wolf 359, and overrides Riker as the person in command. Worf becomes conflicted between his old ship and crew and his new captain and the remaining Enterprise crew become distrustful of Sisko. You can pretty much pick whoever you want to be yelling at Sisko during the Ahab moment - Riker in his last attempt to get through to Sisko, his trusted first officer Kira, his old friend Dax, Worf who has finally picked the rational side, you could even have Troi do it if you wanted to give up her drunk with Cochrane scenes and actually do something related to counseling.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

His interview with Shatner is gold.

How so?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I can't find the whole video, but it was for a puff piece documentary Shatner did called The Captains. It's very self-flattering and he manages to make each interview about himself in some way, and Avery Brooks saw right through that. So Avery talks about his role in a serious manner when asked, but whenever Shatner tosses him an odd or self-serving question, Avery starts loving with him and playing the piano he's sitting at. It's great.

Here's the part where Shatner asks Avery "What happens when we die?" and Brooks responds by playing his version of "I Wish I Knew" and it goes right over Shatner's head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2MEYMMDhKk&t=48s

The other reason to watch that doc is to see how alike Shatner and Mulgrew are.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Of course Brooks is a loving awesome piano player too. :allears:

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The other reason to watch that doc is to see how alike Shatner and Mulgrew are.

Now I need to rewatch it because I had already come to the conclusion from watching Voyager that Mulgrew's Katherine Hepburn impression reminded me more of Zack Brannigan than anything Shatner ever did.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I’m not sure how to feel about the Old Jake Grew Up Without A Dad Due To A Laser Beam Accident episode. There were parts I liked, and parts I didn’t like. It was certainly something.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like if I say I didn’t like it everyone will tell me I’m dumb and wrong like what with happened with Lower Decks. Of which I now admit I was wrong about and it’s very good. But yeah idk it felt like a goofy episode. Too much bad make up.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The whole moral of "Jake, you've ruined and wasted your life trying to save me" doesn't really hit home when he still had enough time to become a renowned author and also he was totally right in the end and saved him.

Also his life didn't seem that terrible or ruined. Oh no, he didn't get married and he never had kids, the horror!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The Visitor is an amazing episode, one of the best Trek ever put out. :colbert:

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

I really liked the Odo v Worf situation where Odo turns into a bag of money. Good ol Odo

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I just think it's sad that regular timeline Jake only got a couple years more with his dad than Visitor timeline Jake. :(

loving Prophets.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Windows 98 posted:

I feel like if I say I didn’t like it everyone will tell me I’m dumb and wrong like what with happened with Lower Decks. Of which I now admit I was wrong about and it’s very good. But yeah idk it felt like a goofy episode. Too much bad make up.

You're dumb and wrong, but that's okay, we all make mistakes.

You're still okay in my books.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

tarlibone posted:

Using a joystick manual steering column for precise, manual navigation makes a certain amount of sense. In, say, the Delta Flyer, or a shuttlecraft. You know, something small and very maneuverable. Something where precision is possible.

The Enterprise E, however, doesn't turn on a dime. It's as nimble as a battleship; as agile as a "12"-year-old Chinese female gymnast who has King Kong on her back, who has Godzilla on his back. It makes no sense. It is so unrealistic and laughable that by comparison, having an old-f

As a counterpoint, the A380 super jumbo (like most Airbus) is flown with a really basic-looking joystick. Based on what we've seen on TNG, the angular turn rate of the Ent-D is pretty good. (But for some reason, it never seems to maneuver much in the pitch axis.)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Number_6 posted:

As a counterpoint, the A380 super jumbo (like most Airbus) is flown with a really basic-looking joystick. Based on what we've seen on TNG, the angular turn rate of the Ent-D is pretty good. (But for some reason, it never seems to maneuver much in the pitch axis.)

Yeah, but there are reasons for that, not the least of which is that even if it's fly-by-wire, all pilots are still trained on using those types of controls, because that's just how planes have been controlled for the past 100+ years.

We're talking a starship that's controlled and maneuvered by computer 100% of the time. There's no reason to have a joystick.

But, that notwithstanding... what's that trigger button there for? Did he assign it some function, like pew-pew?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

tarlibone posted:

But, that notwithstanding... what's that trigger button there for? Did he assign it some function, like pew-pew?

I don't plane but i deal with medical helicopters a lot and they all have triggers on their joystick, mainly for selecting stuff on the computer unless there's some airwolf poo poo going on that I'm unaware of

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

tarlibone posted:

That's the turbo button.

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 30, 2018

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tarlibone posted:

what's that trigger button there for? Did he assign it some function, like pew-pew?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICnhGMelS7o

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The whole thing is REALLY silly when you examine it since you have a 700m ship operating in an environment when there's tens of thousands of kilometers between objects at their closest.

There's never really a need to pilot a ship like that I'm an environment that huge.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

bull3964 posted:

I'm an environment that huge.

lol yeah u r

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

drat autocorrect.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Lore was just such a meh character that probably had more potential if they thought harder about it.

Also, I think part of the problem with the later movies was too big a focus on Data and Picard to the determent of the of the cast.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Kirk and Spock were the focus of pretty much all the first star trek movies, so they just copied that model.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dietrich posted:

Kirk and Spock were the focus of pretty much all the first star trek movies, so they just copied that model.

Spiner was also, by a significant amount, the second highest-paid member of the cast, and he only ever signed one-movie contracts, so he was able to say, "Pay me $texas or you don't have Data in your movie."

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
So I'm watching the last episode of this season of Discovery and think the Federation's habit of sparing dangerous enemies is rather stupid and keeps biting them in the rear end. It's like the ending to DS9 all over again.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

bull3964 posted:

The whole thing is REALLY silly when you examine it since you have a 700m ship operating in an environment when there's tens of thousands of kilometers between objects at their closest.

There's never really a need to pilot a ship like that I'm an environment that huge.

Space is pretty much ww1 dogfighting and always will be.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

socialsecurity posted:

Space is pretty much ww1 dogfighting and always will be.

This is very disappointing when we also used to have space broadsides and space submarine combat.

(though honestly I'd also be fine with just getting more straight submarine thrillers)

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

What about space infantry columns? Space light cavalry charges? I want all the space techniques.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You still get a few WWI battleships in space. Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

What about space infantry columns? Space light cavalry charges? I want all the space techniques.

my friend, have you seen Legend of Germanic He-Men Galactic Heroes

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

You'll have to make do with space blockades and space minefields.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

WampaLord posted:

The whole moral of "Jake, you've ruined and wasted your life trying to save me" doesn't really hit home when he still had enough time to become a renowned author and also he was totally right in the end and saved him.

Also his life didn't seem that terrible or ruined. Oh no, he didn't get married and he never had kids, the horror!

Actually, Jake's obsession with getting his father back caused his wife to leave him. As family-oriented as Sisko is, I can understand how he'd view that as terrible. Bear in mind that after Jake got married and became a renowned writer, he dropped all of that poo poo to focus entirely on rescuing his dad and spent decades of his life to that single purpose. THAT was the waste.

McNally fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 30, 2018

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

McNally posted:

Actually, Jake's obsession with getting his father back caused his wife to leave him. As family-oriented as Sisko is, I can understand how he'd view that as terrible. Bear in mind that after Jake got married and became a renowned writer, he dropped all of that poo poo to focus entirely on rescuing his dad and spent decades of his life to that single purpose. THAT was the waste.
Yeah, if it had been an ongoing side dish to an otherwise balanced life I imagine Sisko would have been more like "aw, man, you ain't got to do a thing."

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Bloop posted:

You'll have to make do with space blockades and space minefields.

What about space grapeshot canister? I really just want a version of Sharpe's Nouns with a veneer of Star Trek.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

McNally posted:

Okay but he was right at the end, so ultimately he didn't waste his life. He gets to go back to being young Jake with his alive dad.

Like I said, it just kind of misses the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

What about space grapeshot canister? I really just want a version of Sharpe's Nouns with a veneer of Star Trek.

I mean, Enterprise had, like, ballistas, sort of