Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
o8s is a special case though---none of the other alex tiers is anywhere near as scary to a level 70 character. the other big static breakers were 3, 4, and 6--you skip all the mechanics in 3/4 and all of the instant kill mechanics in 6 are like 40k damage, which is whatever at 70

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Actually for coil at least a few of the instant death hits are something like 125% your max HP instead of being a fixed damage amount.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Axle_Stukov posted:

Actually for coil at least a few of the instant death hits are something like 125% your max HP instead of being a fixed damage amount.

I wonder if this is an intentional decision to prevent expansions from completely trivializing old stuff.

I remember in WoW, the Lich King fight from the second expansion had a move he would use at the end of the fight that instantly killed the entire raid. Nowadays it doesn't even make your health bar visibly move.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

vOv posted:

Huh, I have DRK at 62 and I guess I never looked too closely at it.

A lot of the animations are actually really cool looking, but you never really get the chance to look at them.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

SonicRulez posted:

A lot of the animations are actually really cool looking, but you never really get the chance to look at them.

One thing I really like about DRK is that the basic attack animations have a lot of weight to them. There's a bit of a slow-moving delay while your character starts their swing, then the actual attack, then a giant follow-through, and it really looks like your character is swinging a giant heavy sword around instead of just whipping it around like it's made of cardboard.

Also, Deathbringer is cool and good, glowy lines are cool and good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I was just in a dungeon with a BLM who macro'd /say "Yoga flaaaames" for every cast of Fire IV. If you put me in a room with them and Hitler and a gun I'd have to think real hard about my decision.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

ImpAtom posted:

I was just in a dungeon with a BLM who macro'd /say "Yoga flaaaames" for every cast of Fire IV. If you put me in a room with them and Hitler and a gun I'd have to think real hard about my decision.

Shoot Hitler and beat that mage to death with the gun IMO.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

This is extremely Vagrant Story and I love it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So I've been mucking around with ninja for something different, and unlocked the third mudra, which immediately spat out four new ninjutsu combos on top of the three I already have. Would anyone mind explaining to me what these new ones do, and which ninjutsu combos are worth using?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Cythereal posted:

So I've been mucking around with ninja for something different, and unlocked the third mudra, which immediately spat out four new ninjutsu combos on top of the three I already have. Would anyone mind explaining to me what these new ones do, and which ninjutsu combos are worth using?

Shuriken - Good for weaving in between gcds.
Raiton - stronger but slower shuriken. Use with kassastu, the 50 ability. otherwise you'll clip your gcd and lose some damage.
Katon - aoe attack. use with any groups.
Huton - 70 second speed buff. Maintain this always. Annoying to refresh at first, gets much easier at 54.
Doton - aoe dot that tanks will always drag enemies out of. Amazing with kassastu.
Suiton - lets you use Trick Attack in combat. Trick Attack is a really good debuff that you want to use whenever possible, or synced up with other damage debuffs.
Hyoton - garbage.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Brainamp posted:

Shuriken - Good for weaving in between gcds.
Raiton - stronger but slower shuriken. Use with kassastu, the 50 ability. otherwise you'll clip your gcd and lose some damage.
Katon - aoe attack. use with any groups.
Huton - 70 second speed buff. Maintain this always. Annoying to refresh at first, gets much easier at 54.
Doton - aoe dot that tanks will always drag enemies out of. Amazing with kassastu.
Suiton - lets you use Trick Attack in combat. Trick Attack is a really good debuff that you want to use whenever possible, or synced up with other damage debuffs.
Hyoton - garbage.

Erm, could you clarify what mudra combo goes into which? I get shuriken, lightning bolt, and fireball - just ten, ten-chi, and chi-ten. All the NPC tells you about the -ton combos is one quick sentence of each and with the Japanese names I lost track of what was what immediately.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Erm, could you clarify what mudra combo goes into which? I get shuriken, lightning bolt, and fireball - just ten, ten-chi, and chi-ten. All the NPC tells you about the -ton combos is one quick sentence of each and with the Japanese names I lost track of what was what immediately.

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Fuma_Shuriken
https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Katon
https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Raiton
https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Hyoton
https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Huton
https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Doton
https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Suiton

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Doton's easy to remember because it puts a dot... on.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

If you go to your actions menu, then scroll to the bottom, it will tell you the combinations. There are two for each combo. And yeah, the game just kinda dumps them on you.

Mad Science
Jul 23, 2013
There's two possible orders for each of the 3-string justu, but use jin>chi>ten for Huton, jin>ten>chi for Doton, and ten>chi>jin for Suiton. For Doton and Suiton, those are the orders you're gonna want to use for your level 70 ability when you get it, so its easiest to just learn the muscle memory for those two patterns as you level.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Cythereal posted:

Here's what I did to wrap my head around the Mudra system: turn it into 3 button combinations.

Ten = 1,
Chi = 2,
Jin = 3.

What helps here is that the Mudras follow two simple rules that drastically reduce the number of combinations you need to memorize:
Mudras do not double up.
A single Mudra is always going to be Shuriken.

Thus, all the combinations work like this:

Shuriken: any 1/2/3

Raiton: 1-2 or 3-2
Katon: 2-1 or 3-1
Hyoton: 1-3 or 2-3 (never use this except by accident)

Huton: 3-2-1 or 2-3-1
Doton: 1-3-2 or 3-1-2
Suiton: 1-2-3 or 2-1-3

The bold combinations are the easier ones to remember and fit in with Ten Chi Jin at 70.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 31, 2018

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Leal posted:

You almost have to admire just how much of an extra mile they want to punish you for Savage modes, or the default bahamut coils. Mess up a mechanic? Get hit for 90k damage. That was for level 50 content at what, i80 as the item level? Here we are at level 70 with item levels in the 360 and I still don't think we are at that level. Maybe a War can with thrill of battle?

Then you go into the Alex Savage raids and they're hitting you for like 250k damage....

Its just an absurd amount is what I'm getting at.

A lot of ARR stuff is survivable these days. The damage cap was only 30k early on so you can survive stuff like Ifrit enrage (he chain casts it and is invincible so it doesn't really matter) not hitting the shield in Leviathan and Twintania enrage even on non-tank classes. It's only once second coil rolls around that you get stuff like the elemental dragons that hit for 90k.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
So my friend and I just started the game, we're both on Excalibur. So far we're only at level 10, I went marauder they went arcanist. Are there any recommendations on what we should and shouldn't do?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

With mudra, what determines what you get is how many you press and which is the last one you press, along with no duplicates. Those are basically the only rules.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Zokari posted:

I wonder if this is an intentional decision to prevent expansions from completely trivializing old stuff.

I remember in WoW, the Lich King fight from the second expansion had a move he would use at the end of the fight that instantly killed the entire raid. Nowadays it doesn't even make your health bar visibly move.

I remember in Cataclysm, we had planned to drag someone through ICC for the hell of it, but couldn't because between the inflated health pools and stat ratings at 85 being lower than what they were at 80, we couldn't get past the "heal up to full, or you die" mechanic, and we didn't have a Disco priest on hand.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

asterioth posted:

So my friend and I just started the game, we're both on Excalibur. So far we're only at level 10, I went marauder they went arcanist. Are there any recommendations on what we should and shouldn't do?

Tell them not to use Physick unless they become a Scholar.

RedRaven
Sep 11, 2001

He's going to SHOCK the world!

asterioth posted:

Get in a goon guild.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Here's what I did to wrap my head around the Mudra system: turn it into 3 button combinations.

Ten = 1,
Chi = 2,
Jin = 3.

What helps here is that the Mudras follow two simple rules that drastically reduce the number of combinations you need to memorize:
Mudras do not double up.
A single Mudra is always going to be Shuriken.

Thus, all the combinations work like this:

Shuriken: any 1/2/3

Raiton: 1-2 or 3-2
Katon: 2-1 or 3-1
Hyoton: 1-3 or 2-3 (never use this except by accident)

Huton: 3-2-1 or 2-3-1
Doton: 1-3-2 or 3-1-2
Suiton: 1-2-3 or 2-1-3

The bold combinations are the easier ones to remember and fit in with Ten Chi Jin at 70.

Good info, thank you. I'd already set up my mudras in a similar configuration to make them easier to remember.

Getting the impression ninja's a tad clunky, though.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

You want to do 3-1-2 for Doton, otherwise you do Hyoton instead of Katon during TCJ.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
ninja is fun but its also like the hardest dps in the game. i think only bard has a higher apm.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sarrisan posted:

ninja is fun but its also like the hardest dps in the game. i think only bard has a higher apm.

How'd you know bard and ninja were the my fourth and fifth highest level classes? :v:

I'm still primarily a healer, but I'm trying different dps classes now trying to find one to my liking for future MSQ poo poo after playing 1-70 through 4.1 as a healer (WHM, then AST once I reached HW). Never again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cythereal posted:

How'd you know bard and ninja were the my fourth and fifth highest level classes? :v:

I'm still primarily a healer, but I'm trying different dps classes now trying to find one to my liking for future MSQ poo poo after playing 1-70 through 4.1 as a healer (WHM, then AST once I reached HW). Never again.

If you want EZ mode for MSQ stuff go Red Mage. It's a DPS class that can also be a low-budget healer.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Become a summoner, you're gonna also round out your healer classes AND you get to drop dragon lasers.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Ninja comes together exactly at 54 when Armor Crush lets you enjoy mudras instead of babysitting them with Huton. Then at 60 I feel like 4 man dungeons become fun with some utility and some oGCDs. Then the addition of the bar for stuff until 70 is just extra fun on top.

Ten Chi Jin was a mistake.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I admit I made a keyboard macro for the mudras for when I played ninja and I have absolutely no regrets doing so.

Sue me, I'm middle aged.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Is 1900 health really the best potion there is? Or is that just the best on the market? My dragoon is feeling pretty underpowered right now in the early 60's and going through the stormblood MSQ. I got 260 armor with poetics and i think my spear is 250, but maybe it's just a lot better in longer fights. Seems odd to be going through the rotation 3 times on a simple same level mob, but maybe that's just what it is at that level.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Eltoasto posted:

Is 1900 health really the best potion there is? Or is that just the best on the market? My dragoon is feeling pretty underpowered right now in the early 60's and going through the stormblood MSQ. I got 260 armor with poetics and i think my spear is 250, but maybe it's just a lot better in longer fights. Seems odd to be going through the rotation 3 times on a simple same level mob, but maybe that's just what it is at that level.
Bird up, he'll cast Regen on you

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Asimo posted:

I admit I made a keyboard macro for the mudras for when I played ninja and I have absolutely no regrets doing so.

Sue me, I'm middle aged.

I will.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Asimo posted:

Sue me, I'm middle aged.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Eltoasto posted:

if you got some poetics to spare go buy the 260 spear from idyllshire and then up it to the 270 one (500+100), it might not seem like much but it's a pretty big jump in power
you can also upgrade your shire gear for 100 poetics each too

other than that second wind and bloodbath are good for soloing mobs are relatively short c/d, and you can also summon your chocobro (though i never remember to get gyshal greens personally)

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

asterioth posted:

Join a goon guild. Other than that, in no particular order:
  • Guildhests are hella boring if you've ever played an MMO before, but I think the game still makes you do them up to the level 30 one at some point in the late 2.x story, so you might as well do them at level when you still get some insignificant amount of XP from them.
  • Your buddy can become both a healer or a DPS and aside from the weapon both of those jobs (SCH and SMN) even share the same gear at first. They also share XP.
  • Do the main story (the quests which have meteor-shaped markers). Most features in the game are locked behind story progression.
  • If you find that the highest dungeon available to you syncs you down below your current level, there's one you have missed. Check for quests with a plus sign in their marker. (I think the first couple of optional dungeons all unlock in Vesper Bay.)
  • The Hall of the Novice rewards you with some really good gear for showing the NPC there that you know how not to stand in AoE markers.
  • Join a goon guild.
  • When you get a choice of which major faction to join, just choose whichever has the cosmetic gear you like best (it's Maelstrom), there are no gameplay differences.
  • The fastest way to get to Vesper Bay is by taking the boat from the dock near the arcanist guild in Limsa.
  • Pray return to the waking sands.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Two key questions.

One, on DRK in random leveling dungeons, I keep running into pubs getting aggro on mobs before I do. Is this them being moto as gently caress or possibly stupid, or is DRK actually kind of hard to grab agg with? (Once I've Unleashed a couple of times it's usually fine.)

Two, how do you do /emotes without the emitted message?

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Nessus posted:

One, on DRK in random leveling dungeons, I keep running into pubs getting aggro on mobs before I do. Is this them being moto as gently caress or possibly stupid, or is DRK actually kind of hard to grab agg with? (Once I've Unleashed a couple of times it's usually fine.)

If you have a regen on you, if it ticks before you can pick up the mobs then they will aggro to the healer. Otherwise, sometimes ranged will tag a mob before you can.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

TheHeadSage posted:

If you have a regen on you, if it ticks before you can pick up the mobs then they will aggro to the healer. Otherwise, sometimes ranged will tag a mob before you can.
Yeah, it's usually just the first couple of packs, but I had one guy who kept trying to force a big pull. Fortunately I was with a FC buddy who healed well. What's the etiquette in those situations? Tell them to stop? Party kick? Stomp their poms to mush?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Bonfire Lit posted:

• Guildhests are hella boring if you've ever played an MMO before, but I think the game still makes you do them up to the level 30 one at some point in the late 2.x story, so you might as well do them at level when you still get some insignificant amount of XP from them.
Nah, the guildhests are no longer required. I leveled up during heavensward and never got interrupted to do them, and even now I've only ever bothered to do the first and that was just out of voluntary curiosity. Can't say exactly when it changed, but sometime at or prior to 3.2 I guess? That's around the time when they threw in a load of other quality of life improvements.

New players are still better off doing them when they're vaguely relevant though, yeah.