Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

silicone thrills posted:

A big part of my job is trying to keep macs and PCs up to date and it isn't so much expense as it is literally just tracking poo poo down which maaaybe more people would help? But even then, someone brings a laptop home that sits around not getting updates for 2 months, I call them and I call them and harass them to update it and if they don't update it before the the user click something stupid then they bring it into work then boom. thats it. And yeah, there's technologies out there that can make this better. And there's organizations that just do patently boneheaded poo poo like Target letting HVAC contractors run wild in their environment and honestly i think they deserve criminal charges.

Tell me about how you use automation to find what needs to be patched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

porkface posted:

If you're serious i'm happy to chat about what i'm using in PMs. It's all fairly industry standard.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

In "neolib Jenny Durkin sees he advance of progress and future and boldly stands athwart it to shout Stop" News:

The Center City Connector streetcar project is on hold

10% budget excess, threatening millioms of federal grants, and further delays of a major downtown transit project, cancelled until further notice.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

porkface posted:

Most enterprise AV suites will track OS versions, besides all the more fancy stuff.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Are any of you aware of tenant groups doing good work in the Portland area? For some reason it took a DSA member mentioning it for the idea of getting involved with CAT or someone like that to even occur to me.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Are any of you aware of tenant groups doing good work in the Portland area? For some reason it took a DSA member mentioning it for the idea of getting involved with CAT or someone like that to even occur to me.

Portland Tenants United is the one i’m most familiar with

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Gerund posted:

In "neolib Jenny Durkin sees he advance of progress and future and boldly stands athwart it to shout Stop" News:

The Center City Connector streetcar project is on hold

10% budget excess, threatening millioms of federal grants, and further delays of a major downtown transit project, cancelled until further notice.

Good. I'm all for public transit and as much of it as we can squeeze out money for and build, but the 1st Ave streetcar was an idiotic idea since the very beginning and I'm glad it's cancelled. Take the lane you were going to give the streetcar and put an endless stream of buses on it instead and you'll get a better return for much less money. In-traffic mass transit is bullshit, but buses handle it better than anything else (also close off 3rd Ave to all cars ever, all hours of the day please and thank you).

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Kalista posted:

close off 3rd Ave to all cars ever, all hours of the day please and thank you

Same but all streets.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Kalista posted:

Good. I'm all for public transit and as much of it as we can squeeze out money for and build, but the 1st Ave streetcar was an idiotic idea since the very beginning and I'm glad it's cancelled. Take the lane you were going to give the streetcar and put an endless stream of buses on it instead and you'll get a better return for much less money. In-traffic mass transit is bullshit, but buses handle it better than anything else (also close off 3rd Ave to all cars ever, all hours of the day please and thank you).

Close off like all but 2 streets going N/S and 2 going E/W.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Seattle has 3rd avenue closed to cars and is bus only for a good chunk of the day and it helped traffic, and 2nd Avenue has dedicated bike lanes with traffic lights just for bikes/pedestrians, which actually sped traffic up a ton. Turning left off 2nd used to be a nightmare.
Weird that Portland has nothing similar.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Peachfart posted:

2nd Avenue has dedicated bike lanes with traffic lights just for bikes/pedestrians, which actually sped traffic up a ton. Turning left off 2nd used to be a nightmare.
Weird that Portland has nothing similar.

Unless they re-tuned it this is completely wrong. There was no protected left for cars at all, so you would sit unmoving for multiple lights if the person in the front refused to turn left because it would be "aggressive" or whatever their issue might be.

Special light for bikes only.
Normal green light for pedestrians, cars wait.
Red light.

If they changed it thats great, but it was loving stupid before.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

FRINGE posted:

Unless they re-tuned it this is completely wrong. There was no protected left for cars at all, so you would sit unmoving for multiple lights if the person in the front refused to turn left because it would be "aggressive" or whatever their issue might be.

Special light for bikes only.
Normal green light for pedestrians, cars wait.
Red light.

If they changed it thats great, but it was loving stupid before.

The light phasing is now:
(1) pedestrian + bike green, left GP lane red, straight GP lanes green
(2) pedestrian + bike red, left GP lane green arrow, straight GP lanes green
(3) cross traffic green

The timing of the phases could probably be improved, but it's way better than it used to be for everyone.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

bicievino posted:

(3) cross traffic green

The timing of the phases could probably be improved, but it's way better than it used to be for everyone.

That is way better, and what they should have done to start with.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

bicievino posted:

(3) cross traffic green

This is what I was talking about, and it is really nice.

George
Nov 27, 2004

They did something similar at 25th and Blakeley, where the Burke-Gilman crosses. It looks like a mess and I winced when they installed it, but holy poo poo it's almost perfect.

There's a little ambiguity between old and new turn arrows, but it seriously cleaned up all the conflict and confusion that made the intersection a dangerous hassle.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

George posted:

They did something similar at 25th and Blakeley, where the Burke-Gilman crosses. It looks like a mess and I winced when they installed it, but holy poo poo it's almost perfect.

There's a little ambiguity between old and new turn arrows, but it seriously cleaned up all the conflict and confusion that made the intersection a dangerous hassle.

Totally. It really makes you realize how bad the rest of the trail intersections are.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ, the Seattle Times did a writeup on how the new property taxes are hurting people. Their poster couple? Well, the husband--who retired 7 years early (and probably 15 years younger than anyone not wealthy born after 1970 will be able to)--and his homemaker wife say they may have to sell their 1.2 million dollar home--that they bought with a single income--and move closer to their grandkids.

Quick, somebody get me the world's smallest violin.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/editorswindler/status/980923559848525826

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Thanatosian posted:

Jesus Christ, the Seattle Times did a writeup on how the new property taxes are hurting people. Their poster couple? Well, the husband--who retired 7 years early (and probably 15 years younger than anyone not wealthy born after 1970 will be able to)--and his homemaker wife say they may have to sell their 1.2 million dollar home--that they bought with a single income--and move closer to their grandkids.

Quick, somebody get me the world's smallest violin.

KOMO did an article about one person awhile ago that I posted here, and I just relegated it as "Sinclair gonna Sinclair" but I guess the Seattle Times was only a step away.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Here’s a KOMO reporter sucking up to her boss.

https://m.facebook.com/MollyShen/posts/2133923179956318?comment_id=2133928199955816&notif_id=1522712125644924&notif_t=feed_comment&ref=notif

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
There's a lot of people saying "well I can't quit, there's this hosed up clause in my contract" and it's like, maybe these folks should do some "journalism" and look into a little thing I like to call, collective action.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
It feels like this would be a great opportunity for journalists to start unionizing.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

silicone thrills posted:

It feels like this would be a great opportunity for journalists to start unionizing.

I wonder if that payback clause would be invoked after getting fired for trying to organize your workplace

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I wonder if that payback clause would be invoked after getting fired for trying to organize your workplace

I have to imagine that the labor board here in WA would be somewhat useful to these employees.

George
Nov 27, 2004

This is their moment to decide whether they are collaborators.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

George posted:

Narrator: “They are.”

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

George posted:

If you've ever wondered what you'd have been doing during the civil rights movement, the Vietnam War, and so on, you're doing it right now.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

silicone thrills posted:

You want to have to pay more for your news just so some union fatcats can get rich???????????????????

It's been awhile since I was directly exposed to much anti-union propaganda but that fits the vibe I can remember.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/981274430956449792

(Mark Kruger is the nazi cop: http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-2933-the-cop-who-liked-nazis.html, http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-11156-the-ice-man-weepeth.html)

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 4, 2018

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

That guy is hosed.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/jason_a_w/status/981954450850852865

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvtQYsckLxk&hd=1

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Oh poo poo! This is real, actual good news, weird.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Good news sure does feel weird

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
lots of props to the burgerville employees, they worked their loving asses off for this for a long time, a bunch of them were fired and i'm surprised its happening

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

This is good, I will make a trip to Burgerville next time I head south.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Wobblies are really good at organising people other unions leave behind. Very good people.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

just a heads up- all that is happening is that burgerville is allowing the employees to hold union elections, something that is legally required. they haven't said if or how they'd negotiate with any union. it's definitely a step in the right direction but this is far from over and I'd recommend that you continue any boycott you may have been participating in

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I continue to refuse to drive to Oregon then.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Tough, but fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Gonna stop at Vancouver then aren't you? Even worse.