Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
at least Elon doesn't wear the same clothes all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

logikv9 posted:

He claimed the Bay Area has better parties than LA and also didn't like how the tech industry was parodied in SV.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
bay area legit had better "get to know people" parties and la had better "build your network" parties, but the last time i was there was in like 2010 so maybe its douchebaggier now or sth i dunno i'm not rich enough for either of those towns really.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

logikv9 posted:

Like Jobs his nerd jesus ability is working his peons to death and also crushing unions

https://splinternews.com/elon-musk-is-an-rear end in a top hat-1824204789

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Willie Tomg posted:

bay area legit had better "get to know people" parties and la had better "build your network" parties, but the last time i was there was in like 2010 so maybe its douchebaggier now or sth i dunno i'm not rich enough for either of those towns really.

If the reason to go to an event is either "get to know people" or "build your network" then that event is not a party.

Parties are for getting loving nasty or for getting nasty loving.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

etalian posted:

He claimed the Bay Area has better parties than LA and also didn't like how the tech industry was parodied in SV.

let's not forget how he tried to present himself and ended up taking photos for actors from the show

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Over Easy posted:

If the reason to go to an event is either "get to know people" or "build your network" then that event is not a party.

Parties are for getting loving nasty or for getting nasty loving.

remember the time elon musk went to a drug and sex party then claimed he thought it was a business party with a costume theme

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

remember the time elon musk went to a drug and sex party then claimed he thought it was a business party with a costume theme

Haha now I do!

It's like all these SV nerds got together a decade ago to prove definitively that money cannot buy happiness.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

if you like all this talk about teslas and phoenix then the book The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi might be the book for you

That book is the novelization of this thread.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

navyjack posted:

That book is the novelization of this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_pb6r8VNWk

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

logikv9 posted:

i think of him as trash human with admirable goals except for the wrong reasons

like yay for electric cars, but not ones that drive themselves into walls or are built like a 90s Kia. Yay for rockets and going to Mars but not so you can build Trillionare Island in Martian orbit

I think Bezos is the one that wants an Elysium-style scenario since his goal is to make Earth into something like a nature preserve with millions of people living and working in space

one of my greatest fears right now is that these rich fucks turn people off the idea of ensuring the continuity of our species when we basically won't get another chance

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tighclops posted:

one of my greatest fears right now is that these rich fucks turn people off the idea of ensuring the continuity of our species when we basically won't get another chance

the species shouldn't be continued

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Yeah i think the universe needs to be spared from a human empire.

If Independence Day played out in real life we would be the aliens. We would exploit and kill anything we came across. Even if there were a unified government that had some kind of ridiculously benevolent charter there would still be groups of us nuking lesser evolved races for their space oil.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Not trying to be a chud or anything but is there as of yet incontrovertible evidence that climate change is influencing tropical cyclone formation

edit: do we need a CSPAM doomsday climate thread?

this guy is my go-to on the climate crisis: https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus

https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/910620586702966784
https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/841693081757859840
https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/522378119341035521

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Yeah i think the universe needs to be spared from a human empire.

If Independence Day played out in real life we would be the aliens. We would exploit and kill anything we came across. Even if there were a unified government that had some kind of ridiculously benevolent charter there would still be groups of us nuking lesser evolved races for their space oil.

I think this is a needlessly pessimistic outlook. There's a plenty of woke people who understand that infinite growth is neither way to personal happiness in form of infinite wealth nor necessary for well-being of our species. We've recorded cultures that did reach equilibrium without need to expand outward violently, it's just the violently expansionist cultures tend to roll over them, but it doesn't have to always be this way.

Mind me I'm not very firmly convinced things gonna end well but I do believe there's a chance.

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
yeah fortunately there's no way we'll ever get out of the solar system without the sort of cooperation that would only be possible in a post-war society

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Supercane Stormy

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Musk would be a fair and just dictator, in fact even though he'd have absolute control he wouldn't actually be dictator, it's just that everyone loves him so much anyway you might as well skip the election and donate that time and energy toward producing more revolutionary Model 3s instead.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Anti humanism should be a crime

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

rudatron posted:

Anti humanism should be a crime

what about anti-natalism

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Also a crime

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
yes murder is illegal in most places

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

uh his ever increasing pessimism about the future due to climate change apparently hosed up his marriage :yikes:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I’d imagine it’s difficult giving your spouse attention while coming to grips with the fact that you’re a modern day Cassandra

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCIo8e12sBM

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

holy poo poo the downvote brigade

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I dipped out of climate science senior year in the midst of applying to grad schools cause it was too loving depressing, and that was in like 2005 or some poo poo. The outlook has not improved to say the least.

Hurricanes will generally increase in power, but Atlantic hurricanes should form slightly less often, and I might be getting this backwards, but as I recall northern hemisphere pacific formation is kinda a wash, and southern hemisphere Pacific typhoons should both form more often and be stronger.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

"The gaps on this car, you can see them from Mars"

:drat:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Willie Tomg posted:

lol democrats vs republicans

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I'm not prepared with any citations or studies like the climate change thread in D&D might be but I believe the current theory is that less cyclones will form due to the rising temperatures in the air but due to the oceans getting warmer the ones we have will get much stronger.

We know that warmer waters strengthen storms and we know the water is getting warmer due to climate change.

A bunch of other poo poo is happening but I don't know how much that would affect cyclone formation specifically. Things like the influx of fresh water causing salinity changes and current disruptions which will change weather patterns. I don't know how solid the science is on that kind of thing though since every year we revise our sea level rise and temperature increase numbers upwards because we still don't even fully understand the climate.

Yeah, that's the thing. There's so many crazy positive and negative feedback loops with climate change. Some could cancel each other out, like East Antarctica receiving more snowpack and thus slowing sea level rise. But others could conceivably make predicted effects even worse. We really don't have a loving clue what's going to happen.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

This is the first in depth look at this poo poo I've seen.

Holy lol, you need a set of jumper cables and a 12 volt battery to open the loving hood.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
good news we designed an app that allows emergency responders to access your car easily

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
bad news guys, uh the app got out and people are running around stealing Teslas. Remember to install the security update asap

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Over Easy posted:

This is the first in depth look at this poo poo I've seen.

Holy lol, you need a set of jumper cables and a 12 volt battery to open the loving hood.

Yeah it's goddamn awful

My sister picked hers up last night and her engineer husband is texting me about how desperately he's holding his tongue

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
hahaha holy gently caress that tesla

they really no joke made it a design choice to have every goddamn function including opening the goddamn doors go through the computer

and of course it's got one of those trunks that if you open it, any snow and/or water slide in there

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
what if a smartphone, but a car instead

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

excellent

Alpha Mayo