Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

World Famous W posted:

Prince of Egypt is a fantastic movie and the only bad part is the Big Boys song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wait has Dreamworks seriously not released Blu-Rays for Prince of Egypt or Road to El Dorado? :psyduck:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Squarely Circle posted:

Pick, I'm prepared to judge your taste in movies entirely on how you came by your current avatar.

I bought it for myself because Phantom of the Paradise is great.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

Pick posted:

I bought it for myself because Phantom of the Paradise is great.

:hfive: Hell yeah.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I think the De La Cruz thing was so tidy due to the fact that it's a movie meant for kids (Read: Grown up idiots who don't like to think about their movies), and didn't want to leave them with an (spoilered just in case) emotionally confusing and karmically unjustified note. Tidy endings make for happy audiences, and happy audiences make for great word of mouth.

I totally understand that and get why they did it. But it did feel like an unnecessary addition still. We got to see the final comeuppance in the land of the dead already, and by the time we’re at the end the focus is back on the family. It doesn’t ruin the movie by any stretch, but it’s like if in Wall-E there was a final shot of Auto being used as a toilet (crude example, I’m tired, be quiet). The focus was already pulled away, it should stay that way.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

21 Muns posted:

Have you considered that maybe you're failing to correctly read those movies you consistently don't like that share that one element you consistently think is irrelevant and unnecessary?

uh are you actually trying to argue that Pixar films revolve around the conflict with their antagonists or are you just taking poorly aimed potshots here

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

uh are you actually trying to argue that Pixar films revolve around the conflict with their antagonists or are you just taking poorly aimed potshots here

Pretty big leap there from "conflicts with antagonists matter in Pixar films" to "Pixar films revolve around conflicts with antagonists".

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

they don't revolve around it but the antagonist's role in the plot almost always dovetails with the central theme somehow

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

they don't revolve around it but the antagonist's role in the plot almost always dovetails with the central theme somehow

yeah they follow the motif but with the exception of, idk, the Toy Story psycho kid I can't come up with one the movie wouldn't be about the same or better without, they're incidental to the heart of the movie which is the protagonists bouncing off each other and arriving at some synthesis of their outlooks. The Up guy and the Wall-E ship wheel thing in particular kinda feel like the movie was originally scripted entirely without them and then the shareholders said a movie has to have a fight with a villain somewhere.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 1, 2018

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

yeah they follow the motif but with the exception of, idk, the Toy Story psycho kid I can't come up with one the movie wouldn't be about the same or better without, they're incidental to the heart of the movie which is the two protagonists bouncing off each other and arriving at some healthy synthesis of their outlooks. The Up guy and the Wall-E ship wheel thing in particular kinda feel like the movie was originally scripted entirely without them and then the shareholders said a movie has to have a fight with a villain somewhere so they stuck one in.

This seems to be a common opinion but it's always struck me as pretty misguided; these movies would legitimately work a lot worse without their antagonist figures. Sid is pretty far from the most integral Pixar villain; if anything he's an unusual one in terms of how at-odds he feels with the rest of the movie.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Syndrome is positively vital to the plot.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I thought he contributed specifically because he's this jarring glimpse of horror in what would otherwise be an overly saccharine and conflict-free movie. He makes Woody and Buzz really stretch themselves, and sets the plight of the toys in stark relief. It's a cold world out there for $.50 plastic trinkets nobody loves.

Contrast to the Up guy, who's Carl but taken to absurd supervillain extremes that don't even make sense in relation to Carl? Like Carl's problem is that he's a sad old man who lives in the past not that he's going to eventually start murdering anyone who he thinks might try to take his house full of dusty old memories away, and being stranded with this kid in the middle of fantasy South America is sort of trouble enough to deal with and grow from thank you very much without this five-minute cipher of Dick Dastardly and Muttley jamming themselves into the story

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 1, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the supervillain extremes aren't necessarily stuff that Carl's himself capable of, but the horrible actions all stemming from that same shared flaw is what makes Carl start seeing it in himself and wanting to change it. i wouldn't say he's central to the overall plot of the movie but he's 100% central to Carl's arc.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Anton Ego is the best thing about Ratatouille.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

I thought he contributed specifically because he's this jarring glimpse of horror in what would otherwise be an overly saccharine and conflict-free movie. He makes Woody and Buzz really stretch themselves, and sets the plight of the toys in stark relief. It's a cold world out there for $.50 plastic trinkets nobody loves.

If Sid didn't exist, it would still fundamentally be a movie about Woody 'accidentally' pushing a rival to his authority out a window, and then being mutinied, far from conflict-free. If anything, having Sid as this one-dimensional, horrific villain is actually what makes the film saccharine, it minimizes the conflict inherent in just Woody's despotic attitude and Buzz's fantasy that he's on a mission. It takes the social crisis of the story and safely exports it outside of the now quaint, unobjectionable middle-class family.

The major focus of the film is not the plight of the toys. The downward spiral of Woody and Buzz's relationship dramatizes Andy's desire for a male role model at a point of critical change in his life. Sid - who also has an 'absentee' or, in this case, literally an unconscious father - also has a little sister, and their relationship foreshadows what Andy is in danger of becoming to his little sister if he can not relocate these models of traditional, assertive, and responsible masculinity. The parallels mount further when you consider the contrast between Sid's dog, and the puppy that Andy receives at the end of the film, one an attack dog, the other a surrogate for Andy to nurture his sense of responsibility to something living and outside of himself. We can even consider one of Sid's most prominent toys, literally just a baby's head walking on spider legs.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Honestly, none of the Toy Story films would be as good as they are without their villains.

Well, in Toy Story 2's case I'd argue Al's more important than Pete is; even though Pete is by far the more antagonistic of the two, he's not the one who stole Woody in the first place. But still!

I suppose Hopper is pretty important to A Bug's Life too, although I recall the plot focusing more on Flik getting over his own hangups for large parts of the film rather than the climactic fight against the grasshoppers.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
:sigh: Well, Walmart took down their Easter movie specials already, so no Prince of Egypt tonight sadly! I was looking forward to it, too.

I also keep meaning to snag both the Rankin/Bass Easter specials on DVD at some point; I still have the old tapes I grew up with but one is more or less unwatchable without a way to adjust the tracking on my VCR. Someday! Those movies were my jam as a kid. That, and... can we talk about muppets/puppets in this thread (considering stop-motion is really just frame-by-frame puppetry? :v:) Can we talk about how freakin' good The Tale of the Bunny Picnic is?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hopper has a good villain speech so he's very important IMO

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Anton Ego is the best thing about Ratatouille.

He’s not the villain, the short gross chef is,

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Cars doesn't really have an antagonist, unless you count Chick Hicks (green racecar), but he's more of a competitive douche than straight up villain.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

There can be two villians.

light for the lost
Apr 1, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
i'm a villain

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The real villain of Ratatouille was capitalism.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

The real villain of Ratatouille was is capitalism.

I also blame capitalism for the lack of a Zootopia sequel.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
You could probably say Ratatouille has an antagonist and a villain. The antagonist being Ego, literally and figuratively. It motivates all of the characters at one point or another, but only one of them truly becomes a villain.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

LeJackal posted:

Hey now, isn't capitalism the hero in critically mentioned animated feature Food Fight?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The villain in Toy Story is a unique and poorly understood caste system

I want to see a Toy President

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Pick posted:

I forgot all about that guy until specifically trying to remember lame Pixar villains

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Mm

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

LeJackal posted:

Don't go pointing fingers just yet:

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/disney/unlikely-source-confirmed-disney-making-zootopia-sequel-153056.html

Well, I guess you can still blame capitalism for its release date coming after a cavalcade of gratuitous live-action remakes.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Only thing I want out of a Zootopia sequel is alligators. I don't care if the world was like only mammels or whatever. Alligators are cool

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
First contact with a hitherto undiscovered culture of alligators is... probably gonna make the racism conversation completely unbearable.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
being completely realistic, Disney is probably well aware that they stand to make a giant dump truck of money off Zootopia 2, but they're also probably pretty goddamn concerned about how the first movie's messaging dovetails with the current political climate.

we'll probably see a Zootopia 2 and it'll probably be thematically weird in the context of the first movie, and probably a good bit less progressive (and that's taking into account that Zootopia was literally the most oversimplified "racism for babies" explanation possible).

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

being completely realistic, Disney is probably well aware that they stand to make a giant dump truck of money off Zootopia 2, but they're also probably pretty goddamn concerned about how the first movie's messaging dovetails with the current political climate.

we'll probably see a Zootopia 2 and it'll probably be thematically weird in the context of the first movie, and probably a good bit less progressive (and that's taking into account that Zootopia was literally the most oversimplified "racism for babies" explanation possible).

I do have to give Credit that it does not do 'Yay Racism is over forever!' like too many family/kids fare do.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Cockmaster posted:

Don't go pointing fingers just yet:

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/disney/unlikely-source-confirmed-disney-making-zootopia-sequel-153056.html

Well, I guess you can still blame capitalism for its release date coming after a cavalcade of gratuitous live-action remakes.

I also blame capitalism for the lack of merchandise.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

It seems it's getting plenty of merchandise... in Japan. Still, it exists somewhere, therefore you can always just import it I guess.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SatansBestBuddy posted:

First contact with a hitherto undiscovered culture of alligators is... probably gonna make the racism conversation completely unbearable.

Maybe instead of first contact, it could just be a foreign country? Given the modern feel of Zootopia, that seems a lot more plausible. Less a Zootopia version of the conquest of the Americas and more a Zootopia version of international relations with China today.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Zootopia 2: Judy Joins The DHS

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Zootopia 2: Judy Joins The DHS

Ideally it'd be more like a "Judy joins the CIA" thing? Maybe she could do some spy movie shenanigans where she has an action scene in a reptile country, a bird country, an insect country, etc, until she finally uncovers some kind of conspiracy to turn animals against each other again (maybe perpetrated by fish in revenge for their being the acceptable animal everyone is allowed to eat? :colbert:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Don't let disney or pixar do spy-themed sequels.