Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Yodzilla posted:

I know the online in this game is better than it has been and probably duct taped together but I really wish we got to see other random players running around the hub. It feels so weird and empty.

Or at least have AI representations of players with their names and armor doing stupid poo poo.

Yeah I liked how in the DS games you'd see NPC versions of people whose guild cards you had. There's a little bit of that in the research base and out in expeditions but only for Palicos.

I thought "return to gathering hub" was a nice gesture but every time I do it I end up wanting to stop by the smith or the farm so it's just a waste of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Nechronic posted:

I thought "return to gathering hub" was a nice gesture but every time I do it I end up wanting to stop by the smith or the farm so it's just a waste of time.

Yeah it’s really weird that the gathering hub is separate from everything else and, if it needed to be for reasons, they didn’t provide kiosks to access all functionality of the main area.

Also I feel like the Research Base was meant to be something more than it is. Why would you ever want to go there other than when you need to talk to the leader for a quest? There’s not even a place to eat so you can buff so going on a hunt straight from there sucks.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Everybody is begging Capcom to add an NPC to the gathering hub to manage everything. But they won't because it would kind of make Astera pointless. But they should do it anyway. Or at least have it unlocked after you beat Xeno.

Hopefully they can figure out a way to just make Astera the hub. Maybe in the expansion.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I do have the 3 piece uruagaaan set bonus and sometimes it doesn't block teostra. I mean I heard if you're too close underneath him you don't take damage but I found an angle where you can die from it even if you block. Several times. I double checked and the set bonus is all lit up 3/5

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Everybody is begging Capcom to add an NPC to the gathering hub to manage everything. But they won't because it would kind of make Astera pointless. But they should do it anyway. Or at least have it unlocked after you beat Xeno.

Hopefully they can figure out a way to just make Astera the hub. Maybe in the expansion.

They had no problem doing this in Generations, in that game the gathering hub had a little prep area that had an armory/smithy and your house cat that took care of the safari and farm equivalents.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

They had no problem doing this in Generations, in that game the gathering hub had a little prep area that had an armory/smithy and your house cat that took care of the safari and farm equivalents.

Yeah but they wanted to focus on the "story" this time around and so I inagine that's why want people to stay in Astera. It's dumb

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Electric Phantasm posted:

Or even the older games. The offline hubs were usually tiny in old games. 4U just had you duck out of the gathering hall into a relatively tiny area (about the size of the canteen) to access everything. 3U didn't take you back to Moga Village if you needed to visit the smithy or check your farm, there was a tiny area off the gathering hub that also had a felyne that let you access your farm and fishing boats.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Krinkle posted:

I do have the 3 piece uruagaaan set bonus and sometimes it doesn't block teostra. I mean I heard if you're too close underneath him you don't take damage but I found an angle where you can die from it even if you block. Several times. I double checked and the set bonus is all lit up 3/5

As soon as he goes up, I like to backhop about 2 times just to make sure I'm not too close to being under him, just in case the hitbox wants to be real fucky and go over my guard.
But you have to move the moment he rises, or you'll eat the hit mid hop.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Thanks for the gunlance tips. I have lots of weakness exploit but i guess I don't need it when I'm focused on shelling.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Is the only way to do the Zorah fight is random SOS or when the quest pops up in the handlers log?

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Rythe posted:

Is the only way to do the Zorah fight is random SOS or when the quest pops up in the handlers log?

Yup

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Rythe posted:

There will be an event quest every now and then as well, it'll probably come back for the Spring Festival next week. That's the best way to farm it consistently.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
GaijinHunter did a video on the upcoming Spring Festival event quests. There’ll be some good stuff in there - especially the Tempered Deviljho quest, which I’d say is the closest thing we have at the moment to an ultimate high-risk-high-reward endgame challenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmacQZ6qwbg

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
The Vice insect glaive with the dragon eye patch is so nasty. I don't even bother jumping any more. I kind of hate how the Elderseal mechanic forces you into certain gear as best in slot for the crazy fights because there are some real nasty weapons outside of that.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

new phone who dis posted:

The Vice insect glaive with the dragon eye patch is so nasty. I don't even bother jumping any more. I kind of hate how the Elderseal mechanic forces you into certain gear as best in slot for the crazy fights because there are some real nasty weapons outside of that.

Elderseal isn't nearly significant enough to force you into anything.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Flytrap posted:

Check your guild card, it's the last page.

It's also right there in the hunter's notes.

Yodzilla posted:

Also I feel like the Research Base was meant to be something more than it is. Why would you ever want to go there other than when you need to talk to the leader for a quest? There’s not even a place to eat so you can buff so going on a hunt straight from there sucks.

That's all that you're supposed to do there. You can always just eat at camp after departing on a quest if you get one there.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Yeah, my one main issue with the game is that it doesn't feel like a world that is lived in.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Magus42 posted:

That's all that you're supposed to do there. You can always just eat at camp after departing on a quest if you get one there.

I’m just saying it could have been more. Again if they want a whole new hub they should have opened it up publicly, had all of the functionality of Astera, and let people go hog wild. Instead it’s this rad looking science opium den that only serves for some annoying load screens as you run back and forth to get some terrible dialog for a quest.

e: or instead of duplicating Astera give it something unique! Maybe since it’s the RESEARCH Base there could be buffs you could only get there that help with investigations or other pursuits of science but instead it’s just NOTHING

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 1, 2018

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

AttackBacon posted:

There will be an event quest every now and then as well, it'll probably come back for the Spring Festival next week. That's the best way to farm it consistently.

That's a bummer, I need one pleura to make the handicraft charm, I kind of regret making some of the armor I never ended up using.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I had a couple players stick around through about 8-10 Tempered Vaal investigations I posted and that was really cool. They didn't cart a single time, so none of the 4 slotters were wasted. I just spammed the "I'm posting a quest" and "Hang around" shouts once I was on a competent hunt and it seemed to work. I assume those are translated, since one was Japanese and the other Korean going by their names. Going to keep doing this.

I'm thinking of trying a crit-based Charge Blade build for some variety, maybe using Odium, that wouldn't be so SAED focused. The CB axe attacks are pretty neglected and they can do some nice damage with EDs and AEDs on top, and still using SAEDs with partial phials when possible. Anyone tried this/have good build ideas?

Here's rainy ruining Bazel without using SAEDs. He's not really focused on crits, but since he's the best CB player I've seen he doesn't need the help I guess. His Kirin and Teostra speed runs show some mad knowledge of the monster, including a Condensed Element Slash to Teo's face as he dives that is just insane timing given how long the windup for that attack is. His Tempered Deviljho run is the best around, I think.

Attitude Indicator posted:

am i crazy or did they add a new area behind the armory? that opens when you kill xeno, right? there's nothing there, but i can't understand that i haven't seen it through a 100 hours playtime.

Ha, is that where that last ! from finishing White Winds is hanging out? I couldn't find a way back there, but will look closer.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 1, 2018

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

v1ld posted:

Ha, is that where that last ! from finishing White Winds is hanging out? I couldn't find a way back there, but will look closer.

Yep. The ! goes away just before it actually gets on screen, so most people stop short instead of going up the stairs :)

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Rythe posted:

That's a bummer, I need one pleura to make the handicraft charm, I kind of regret making some of the armor I never ended up using.

you could try to SOS into someone running a Zorah mission. It takes a lot of luck and patience though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Yodzilla posted:

I’m just saying it could have been more. Again if they want a whole new hub they should have opened it up publicly, had all of the functionality of Astera, and let people go hog wild. Instead it’s this rad looking science opium den that only serves for some annoying load screens as you run back and forth to get some terrible dialog for a quest.

e: or instead of duplicating Astera give it something unique! Maybe since it’s the RESEARCH Base there could be buffs you could only get there that help with investigations or other pursuits of science but instead it’s just NOTHING

Um excuse me, Research Base has the tailraider safari animation.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

Yeah, my one main issue with the game is that it doesn't feel like a world that is lived in.

It would be cool if some of the NPCs could show up randomly during hunts, like the huntsman, field team captain, or Grandma Goku.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Very close 15 minute tempered teostra quest:

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

27 total runs of that 4 monster rotten vale quest to get all the crowns.

Ugh. This is a painful platinum trophy to get.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I did the rotten vale rumble once and got 3 out of 4 large gold crowns. I'm not crown hunting tho so I don't know if I care enough to try to get more off of it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Nobody ever sends me any meowl...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pretty cool how they never fixed the hitbox on Nergigante'air tackle. Love being one shot by an attack that went in the opposite direction. :argh:

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

RBA Starblade posted:

Pretty cool how they never fixed the hitbox on Nergigante'air tackle. Love being one shot by an attack that went in the opposite direction. :argh:

You're getting hit by the spikes. Either move back farther or superman dive.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Astroniomix posted:

You're getting hit by the spikes. Either move back farther or superman dive.

I'm behind it to start with when running and it's flying away from me

I've beaten everything and it's the one thing I still eat poo poo to. gently caress Nerd Gigante

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 2, 2018

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Someone on Reddit wrote up this big HBG shopper's guide and I thought it was pretty cool and informative.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Tq-YiddogliFJ4-thFI3zsO9SEVNiyUUTJkhyr4tc84/edit?usp=drivesdk

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm behind it to start with when running and it's flying away from me

I've beaten everything and it's the one thing I still eat poo poo to. gently caress Nerd Gigante

You are not nearly as far back as you think if it's still hitting you then, just superman dive, you have plenty of time before the dive starts.

Yabanjin
Feb 13, 2007

I AM smiling.
Something weird though, I got carted on a regular Nergigante quest when I was blocking (GL with Guard UP) on his dive bomb because I was close to a wall.
I never had a problem blocking this before. I have heard the block sound, but some part of the attack got through? Never event taken anything more than chip damage from that.
It was head scratching time.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
His spike explosion probably came in at an angle that wasn't covered by your shield.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i stopped trying to avoid it and just built a high hp divine protection set to face tank it

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Yabanjin posted:

Something weird though, I got carted on a regular Nergigante quest when I was blocking (GL with Guard UP) on his dive bomb because I was close to a wall.
I never had a problem blocking this before. I have heard the block sound, but some part of the attack got through? Never event taken anything more than chip damage from that.
It was head scratching time.

Might be like Kirin's lightning lines that can hit you from both sides at once. I usually power guard the dive bomb just to be safe.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I decided to play some more monster hunter after like a month or two off. Made it to the rotting vale and that poo poo is sick nasty. I decided that the poison is bullshit so I would have to get an armor that blocks it. I could go for one gyros tail or put an armor together based on those assassin beetles. Surely the beetles will be faster, right? Wrong. It took forever and was a huge pain. Regret not getting the tail and cooler looking gyros belt

Anyway I got the rolling guy, it was actually pretty fun with lance, you gotta just get under him and keep daggering them guts. Cut his tail and got an absolute ton of stuff from breaking every part of his body and then capturing him.

So the next story mission is go deeper into the vale, but I think the handler said something like "we might not be able to turn back" is this real or just some bullshit thing? Should I do some optional missions first or will it matter at all?

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
There is no point of no return or anything like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I basically did all the story with gunlance with a brief dabble in hunting horn. I’ve gone back to hunting horn and it’s so much more fun. I like dragging pubbies screaming through investigations by saying “gently caress you, I’m boosting your health you little poo poo” and playing a little tune on my repurposed monster anus or whatever the gently caress a hunting horn is supposed to be.