Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Luebbi posted:

I really don't get the tons of expansions though. You can either spend a truly obscene amount on a boardgame you've never played with 6 or so expansions, or you will never have a chance to get them at all.

These kickstarter exclusive $100+ massive miniature games seem to be largely FOMO driven. If you look at the KS comments or BGG there's always people freaking out about not being able to get everything and mulling over just how much privation they'll endure for plastic batmen or whatever.

And yeah, selling directly to the consumer via Kickstarter has a way higher profit margin for the creator than traditional retail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Flavivirus posted:

Sadly it wasn't popular enough for a full post-kickstarter print run. We'll have a few dozen books to sell on the Modiphius webstore once kickstarter fulfillment is done though.

Well I’ll be watching for that!

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Well, it looks like the cartographer for the City-State of the Invincible Overlord KS has dragged permission out of Judges' Guild to publish the maps, which he's completed, as well as revised guidebooks. He'll provide at-cost printing codes for the maps and guidebooks, so if I throw another $20 (maps) and $16 (guidebooks) at the project I'll have a fraction of what I pledged for.

Well, that's better than what I thought I was getting, which was nothing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Flavivirus posted:

Sadly it wasn't popular enough for a full post-kickstarter print run. We'll have a few dozen books to sell on the Modiphius webstore once kickstarter fulfillment is done though.

I meant to ask: what’s the caption on page 49 (p50 of the PDF) meant to be? It’s partly covered by the other image.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Subjunctive posted:

I meant to ask: what’s the caption on page 49 (p50 of the PDF) meant to be? It’s partly covered by the other image.

Ah crap, thought I'd caught that. It's just meant to be 'Unfriendly Wildlife', nothing of great value lost!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Flavivirus posted:

Ah crap, thought I'd caught that. It's just meant to be 'Unfriendly Wildlife', nothing of great value lost!

No worries, was just curious.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

HazCat posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if 'KS Exclusive!' just means all reprints will be as addons to future campaigns. It's not that uncommon to be able to snag a reprint of a core game through the KS for an expansion, or to get a reprint of the first expansion in the KS for the second.

I've absolutely seen 'Kickstarter Exclusive' minis from an earlier projects get included as pledge levels/addons in later ones, as well.

It's not even technically lying if they only ever use the vague 'Kickstarter Exclusive' phrasing - that could either mean exclusive to the KS project or to the KS platform :shrug:

Hopefully that's what it means. Otherwise gameplay exclusives are pretty freaking lovely. That said, I'm nowhere near enough of a Batman fan to get into this one.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I played it. Not a bad dungeon basher.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It doesn't get talked about much outside of the Level 99 fan community here, but on the good news of the Kickstarter side of things, the kickstartered duelling fauxanimu card game BattleCON Online has been up and ongoing for months now in open alpha on both Windows and iOS. And it sounds funny to say "alpha", because outside of the occasional rare bug, it's pretty well realized at this point. There are more fighters now than were promised in the Kickstarter, with 16 available now, and it's well-enough implemented to play online with quick match, friend list, messaging, etc. While elements like the single-player mode and the like are still a ways off, it's solid enough that people have been making videos, holding tournaments, and all of that. And it's a lot better looking than the old Kickstarter demo, with things like character music, fully voiced chatter from the characters, being able to examine your opponent's hand, etc. IMO, it's at the top end of solutions for "I like the mindgames of fighting games, but don't want to worry about building up execution mastery."

Right now it's F2P with a rotation of three free characters at any one time, and you can earn gold through play or pay about $3 per character, and I understand there's a larger pack of most of the initial characters promised in the kickstarter. Full disclosure: I was a high-level backer, so I don't have to worry about that sort of thing myself and don't know how it feels for folks paying. But it seems fair as far as that sort of thing goes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
On top of ALL of that; they're using the online implementation to test various rebalances and changes to the Devastation of Indines characters for eventual inclusion in the Devastation Remastered Kickstarter.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I still need to get my friggin BCO account fixed, customer service has been silent for me :(

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Luebbi posted:

It's the same system as their previous game, Conan, which was extremely succesfull and very well received. Far as I can tell, the ruleset is very good. However, the pricepoint for the Batman game is just insane to me, 140plus shipping, ouch. But since they stated it'll be kickstarter exclusive I'm considering backing it to later sell on ebay.

I really don't get the tons of expansions though. You can either spend a truly obscene amount on a boardgame you've never played with 6 or so expansions, or you will never have a chance to get them at all.

My group of friends all pooled some money together for the game and all the expansions. I think it’ll be a lot of fun. I haven’t gone in depth in learning the mechanics, but people seem to like it.

As a huge Batman nerd, I’m very excited.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

atholbrose posted:

Well, it looks like the cartographer for the City-State of the Invincible Overlord KS has dragged permission out of Judges' Guild to publish the maps, which he's completed, as well as revised guidebooks. He'll provide at-cost printing codes for the maps and guidebooks, so if I throw another $20 (maps) and $16 (guidebooks) at the project I'll have a fraction of what I pledged for.

Well, that's better than what I thought I was getting, which was nothing.

Taking a quick peek at the KS it seems like JG just ran off with the money and now the cartographer is just trying to recoup some of his time and effort? Does that sum it up?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Nystral posted:

Taking a quick peek at the KS it seems like JG just ran off with the money and now the cartographer is just trying to recoup some of his time and effort? Does that sum it up?

Yeah, that's pretty close. There's some family drama I'm too exhausted to look into on the JG side, and the reason the cartographer is doing this is the failed Kickstarter is having a negative impact on some other books he's done for the Wilderlands. Basically, I think the only thing that was ever really done was the maps. I've had most of them in PDF forever -- some of the files on my HD date from 2014 -- but the book has been "in layout" for years, with updates getting less and less frequent. (Sound familiar?) All I have at the moment for my $165 or so are 12 of 18 maps in digital format, a scanned PDF of the original CSIO book and a (supposedly) corrected OCR of the same thing.

I always kicked myself for not buying the boxed set as a teenager from Kay-Bee, where it sat for just about forever, but I should have just gone on to eBay and bought the damned thing instead of pledging to this Kickstarter.

Edited to add: Don't get me wrong, the CSIO book is a thing of beauty -- page after page of story seeds, and an answer for every time the party asks "But what's the shop owner's name?" (If you don't mind them being things like Walsie Nadix or Beleroptar.) I'm thinking of actually using it soon; I'm going to wait to see how the cartographer's stuff turns out. The major problem is that nothing I've got is actually a map of the city itself...

atholbrose fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 2, 2018

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

FMguru posted:

LOL owned

Yup. Fun game, interesting dynamic, will play again.

And I'll probably get dunked on again playing Sunset Over Water in a month or two.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
You know, I am starting to get a bad feeling about Spellbound Kingdoms: Arcana. Its last update was back on December 3rd, and the last comment from the creator was on January 7th.

A 3-month silence is generally a bad sign.

My other notably tardy kickstarters...

Good Delays
* Mutant Crawl Classics - Needed some big revisions; delays have been longer than expected, but the creators have kept communication open. The end is in sight.
* Unity - Released a fantastic PDF, then went through a round of extremely thorough playtesting which pushed back all the dates. Creator has been phenomenal with communication and updates, and I'm happy the system is getting more polish.
* Cortex Prime - Seems to be nearing the finish line. Cam's good with communication, of course.
* Sword of the Bastard Elf - No worries; the goon creator is doing a great job of explaining progress. Very late, but understandably so.

Bad Delays
* Katanas & Trenchcoats - Who even knows when this will turn into a real thing anymore. We get updates but I don't really see an end in sight. It's all bits and pieces and I have no clue of the progress of the game as a whole.
* Project: Dark - lol

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Evil Hat is Kickstarting a coup universe rpg. Looks interesting but haven't had a chance to read the draft. I trust EH since the fate Kickstarter, and you very a bunch of their older stuff if you back it so worth it for that alone if you are interested.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

neaden posted:

Evil Hat is Kickstarting a coup universe rpg. Looks interesting but haven't had a chance to read the draft. I trust EH since the fate Kickstarter, and you very a bunch of their older stuff if you back it so worth it for that alone if you are interested.

I edited this—support goon projects! Also you can just yell at me if you think it's bad and I'm bad.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Caedar posted:

I edited this—support goon projects! Also you can just yell at me if you think it's bad and I'm bad.

I have some copy editing notes I’m collecting as I read through!

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Subjunctive posted:

I have some copy editing notes I’m collecting as I read through!

Neat. Feel free to PM them to me.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

neaden posted:

I want it to be "coupniverse" but that looks terrible in print. Thanks, William the Conqueror.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Is the coupniverse supposed to be, “What if the French Revolution, but cyberpunk?”

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

DalaranJ posted:

Is the coupniverse supposed to be, “What if the French Revolution, but cyberpunk?”

The guillotine is only the beginning...

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Bieeanshee posted:

The guillotine is only the beginning...

A tiny guillotine descends, severing the Cat5 connecting your WiFi adapter to the internet.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

DalaranJ posted:

It's not totally clear from material outside the Kickstarter, because material outside the Kickstarter is 'the Dystopian Universe card games' which are...quite pretty, but not the best avenue for worldbuilding. Just a bunch of card games about lying and deception in various speeds.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

DalaranJ posted:

A tiny guillotine descends, severing the Cat5 connecting your WiFi adapter to the internet.

A guilloteeny.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

DalaranJ posted:

Kind of. I haven't finished the preview yet but it's set in Paris in the future after an unexplained world wide disaster killed most everyone. They speak English now for an unexplained reason and have little contact with the surviving cities. Most people have brain implants that make their homes look nice, their clothes pretty, food tasty, and gamifies their work. The Societe are the upper class who have some real possessions and nicer AR. The Natureles are the lowest class and don't have implants. It reminds me a lot of the videogame Remember Tommorow.

homullus posted:

I want it to be "coupniverse" but that looks terrible in print. Thanks, William the Conqueror.

It's apparently the dystopian universe, but that's super generic and you just have to say it's from coup. I'd prefer coupniverse.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Backerkit just charged me for my 7th Sea: Not Asia pledge, hope that means there'll be something soon, Wick's got 7th Sea proper's Not-Africa book coming this month apparently.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

neaden posted:

The Resistance, Coup, and One Night Revolution were in the same universe?

What?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Covok posted:

What?

Yes, and also the other one about crime people whose name I forget.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Evil Hat do good stuff generally but that seems like the thinnest possible license to make a full fledged RPG out of.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Covok posted:

What?

I always thought they were the same game but different editions. I have the resistance but the art style looks so similar for coup, G54, and the revolution.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
aww man, the Zombies in the upcoming Zombicide kickstarter look lame

I thought they were supposed to be zombies?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

Squidcide!

I wasn’t backing anyway but those are ugly.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Old Squidbeard gonna teach you how to dance. How to break it down.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, like you hear that CMON is going to be doing non-Games Workshop SPACE MARINES and you get excited and then you see their lame armor and poses and go "ughhh." Maybe the stretch goal famous character knock-offs will look cool?
What a waste. Should have called it Xenocide like they trademarked or set it in their XenoShyft universe, too.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Anything's a zombie these days.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Zombie Mindflayer is weirdly recursive. They want to eat your braiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin, but moreso.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

Backerkit just charged me for my 7th Sea: Not Asia pledge, hope that means there'll be something soon, Wick's got 7th Sea proper's Not-Africa book coming this month apparently.

Has the lazy gently caress fixed his combat mechanics yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Old Squidbeard gonna teach you how to dance. How to break it down.