Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

The border collie was also a lovely dog. The dad is lovely. The girlfriend is also dumb. Everyone in this story is loving awful.

The dad is dumb as poo poo for having an untrained border collie in the loving suburbs without anywhere near adequate stimulation that the breed needs to not be spastic crazy horses, but OP aggressively commanded his poorly trained pitbull to defend him and was proud that he almost murdered another dog. Girlfriend's dad is your typical minor run-of-the-mill idiot, OP is a loving moron rear end in a top hat borderline animal abuse cheerleader. You cannot compare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Dude was letting a dog go after a person

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
The official The Onion article of r/relationships https://www.theonion.com/love-me-love-my-violent-alcoholic-rages-1819583970

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

girl pants posted:

I [28 M] asked my wife [22 M/F] to read a book on negotiation & she told me to read Twilight.

like others have said, this guy obviously didn't learn from the book bc she gave him a chance to close in and make a deal and he turned it down

just read the twilight dude

pretend it's teaching you grand new things about being a sensitive partner

say you wanna name the next baby Renesmee

she'll either step up or go nuts. either one's a resolution.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 1, 2018

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

since depression is a disease of connection, you're often looking for a reason to stay that isn't something that may feel hollow. you're looking for signs of real connection and so half-hearted connections (like well-meaning advice that doesn't hear your pain and just fobs your emotions off) can make you feel even lonelier and can push you further into the abyss

when people told me to live for others and think what it would do to x, y, z, it just increased the suicidal ideation bc gently caress what other people need, I needed someone to give a poo poo what I needed. like really even my mental illness is about YOU? even when i'm doing my worst, i still gotta think about YOU??

that line of thinking is what finally drove me to the emergency room one day instead of going to work. it made me worse, not better, bc i was so convinced ultimately people just saw my illness in terms of how it made them feel, and i already felt like i lived my life accommodating others and no one gave a poo poo about me. i got dangerously close to killing myself instead of helping myself bc living for others gave me no joy and felt like i was expected to live in emotional pain and misery for the benefit of others. Basically, what i heard that i should not be hurting anyone's feefees with my being sad or my own choice of death.

made me want to take control and say gently caress your little feefees, rear end in a top hat. i knew it would hurt folks, but lots of poo poo does - and if i mattered to you so much, you woulda done something when i was ALIVE. Most people take their loved ones for granted - of course they're sad when they're gone, but the important thing is to show people you love them when they're HERE

so yeah i wouldn't recommend saying that to folks and a picture like this guy is proposing would not have helped me, i know because i had to block that poo poo out to survive

loving BE there and LISTEN and don't give them lovely advice, that's how you help a depressed person. you don't have to try and fix them (please don't), you just have to try and be Present with them. That's all you have to do. it's amazing how few people get that.

This is from a million pages ago, but this is spot on. You, gentlegoon, Get It.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Agrikk posted:

This is from a million pages ago, but this is spot on. You, gentlegoon, Get It.

I didn’t kill myself because I didn’t want to make my friends and family sad, so YMMV. Then again, that was my decision because nobody knew I was suicidal.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Pvt.Scott posted:

I didn’t kill myself because I didn’t want to make my friends and family sad, so YMMV. Then again, that was my decision because nobody knew I was suicidal.
Everyone has their own circumstances and their mental cycles with suicidal thoughts and their own experiences with family, friends, work, school, nature, etc. What might make one person want to live is what might make another person want to die. Not everyone has someone who loves them, and even some of those who do don't really see it when they're depressed, so for them "think about your loved ones" can go straight to "I'm so worthless I don't even have people to live for" completely skipping over the debate over whether living for others is good or not.

Depressed or not no one should ever be telling another person how to feel or why they should live. If you listen to a person and they talk about how much they value their family then go ahead and encourage that positivity, but even then it should be in a positive voice of "these people care for you and you care for them, find a way to make things better so you can all be better and happier together" not shaming or guilting a person for their thoughts with "If you kill yourself you'll make all these other people sad and that makes you a bad person". Also, preferably, it'll be contextualized to what the suicidal/depressed person is telling you, not generic platitudes.

In other words

StrangersInTheNight posted:

loving BE there and LISTEN and don't give them lovely advice, that's how you help a depressed person. you don't have to try and fix them (please don't), you just have to try and be Present with them. That's all you have to do. it's amazing how few people get that.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I really like poo poo pit owner's rationale of 'what if I got hurt, pay me $800.00'. The whole batch of them is stupid. If all it costs the girl is a vet bill, she should consider herself blessed and run.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Actually depressed people tend to push you away so good loving luck with those standards

Wow it’s like depressed people want impossible things from other people and passive aggressively attack them when those things don’t happen

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
depressed people can act in isolating destructive ways, but they also aren't a homogenous blob. I strongly agree with your previously stated thesis that depressed people need to take responsibility and initiative in breaking harmful cycles themselves and take ownership of those cycles, but I don't agree with the idea that a person is only "actually depressed" if they are unhelpable. What sort of criteria is that anyway?

In general it seems like you are invested in having boxes you can slot people into so you can say they are both terrible and irredeemable. Off the top of my head I've seen you do it with men and with depressed people.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

disagree, depressed people actually are a homogenous blob, we don't know where it came from or what it wants but its various humanoid pseudopoda seem to be chiefly occupied with sustaining the central mass through a steady supply of lovely fast food and Friends reruns. I recommend not getting between it and its goal, like with a mopey cosmic horror bear

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 2, 2018

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Inescapable Duck posted:

4E is loving great you grognard piece of poo poo, I bet you think Pathfinder is a good game

is it not enough to have reprehensible politics, that you also must have unforgivable taste as well?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Pick posted:

Actually depressed people tend to push you away so good loving luck with those standards

Wow it’s like depressed people want impossible things from other people and passive aggressively attack them when those things don’t happen

:goonsay:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

disagree, depressed people actually are a homogenous blob, we don't know where it came from or what it wants but its various humanoid pseudopoda seem to be chiefly occupied with sustaining the central mass through a steady supply of lovely fast food and Friends reruns. I recommend not getting between it and its goal, like with a mopey cosmic horror bear

I'm a depressed person, but in my self-imposed exile from humanity I usually eat fruit, play The Witcher series, and watch Arrowverse shows while exercising, so...

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Pick: "Ugh depressed people should just get over it and stop annoying me with their baggage :rolleyes:"

Also Pick: *Has literally never stopped dumping her Hugh related baggage onto SA for years, to the point that nearly everyone on the site knows the truck story by osmosis*

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Ocean Book posted:

In general it seems like you are invested in having boxes you can slot people into so you can say they are both terrible and irredeemable. Off the top of my head I've seen you do it with men and with depressed people.

Also anyone who is a sexual deviant, as defined by Pick.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
The only way I got out of depression was finding a psychiatrist who was willing to keep throwing different medication at me until something worked.

Also, I would recommend that your pills doctor and your talk therapy person be different people. Getting the right pills helped me realise that the fact I felt worse after every talk therapy session was maybe not my fault.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Pick shitposts; so what.

More content!

My [18F] mom [43F] has been cheating on my dad and actively involving me for years. I am at my wit's end.

quote:

My mom has been cheating on my dad for like their whole marriage and I've known since I was 8. My dad is not abusive or even a bad person or anything and he always is there for us. my mom is just immature and bored.

since I was like 15 my mom has been involving me. She cancelled my 16th birthday and we went to our beach apartment instead with her and her boyfriend!!! She told my dad that it was just us. I was allowed to bring my boyfriend who is like my best friend. Thank god or I would've loving drowned myself lol.

Anyways there's a new guy and she made me go to dinner with them feb 2016. I hate him. He's annoying and thinks I'm annoying and always complains about me. My mom claimed to be in London this week for business but I highly doubt it. She called me once in the week (very rare of her) and arrived a day earlier than she said, AND didn't even tell us when she was leaving "london". I was in the city visiting my BF and my dad was in the beach apartment fixing something with the water heater and she just randomly texted the group chat.

Anyways I just found out that she went on vacation with this guy in august- I searched up his fb name.

I tried telling my dad but he just said it's fine and that there's a reason he's always doing a bunch of hobby stuff. He also said it doesn't affect me. But it does. A lot. And he doesn't deserve this either.

Keep in mind my dad could also be a lot more angrier than he is letting on. I heard him talking to my aunt on the phone and they're both extremely frustrated.

Every time I call my mom out on it she gaslights me and says he's just a friend, or she's not with him or whatever.

The reason I'm posting this is because she has gone MIA today for Easter just like she does for most holidays- she is probably at her boyfriend's family's house.

I am tired of her immaturity. Since I was a kid, I've felt like I'm the adult.

What should I do? I'm moving in a couple of months a state over for school thankfully but I want to know how to deal with the gas lighting and situation in general. I feel insane whenever she denies these things and they're right in front of my face. I also feel awful for my dad. I've tried telling him but I don't think I have the heart to tell him the full story (about the vacation, and the fact I went to dinner and Easter at his house a while ago)

TL;DR My mom has been cheating on my dad since I was a kid, invites me to dinner with these guys and their family events, and frequently misses holidays. She denies it and my dad represses his opinion on the situation. I don't know what to do. I want to help my dad.

Mom sucks; so what

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Pick posted:

Depression usually involves quite a lot of self-sabotage in my experience... which I'm not claiming is everyone's experience. But self-defeating thought loops are a thing.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Bogus Adventure posted:

Pick shitposts; so what.

More content!

My [18F] mom [43F] has been cheating on my dad and actively involving me for years. I am at my wit's end.

Mom sucks; so what
She should blow her lovely mom's cheating wide open.

EDIT: Like she's tried to tell her dad so just like. Stop doing stuff with mom.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I feel like that's the biggest thing. Tell mom no.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Bogus Adventure posted:

Pick shitposts; so what.

More content!

Mom sucks; so what

They have an open relationship. :sever: and post everything on Facebook.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Pick posted:

Did your mother force you to ritually torture an Eeyore plushie after she was done forcing you to mutilate the Quasimodo toy or something?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

This girls dad told her in the politest way possible he doesnt care and that he pulls in constant strange and shes sitting here befuddled. Your parents just dont want you around while they gently caress an ever widening gyre of humanity, so do them a favore and get a life.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 2, 2018

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
That girl has parents with a beach apartment, she should stfu and find a college near that apartment, change the locks so her mom can't gently caress on her bed and just ride it out. On the beach. Away from her family, who clearly do not give a gently caress who each other is loving and are probably confused as to why she cares. Oh no, I spent my 16th birthday on the beach with my boyfriend, oh the humanity.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Me [19, F] with my boyfriend [32, m] of 2 years. Why did he get so mad at me?

My boyfriend and I met via an online game 1.5 years ago. I was 18 and he was 30. We lived in different parts of the United States so after the initial 3 months of talking, he flew to my state and met me. He knew I was a virgin and so we did not have sex with each other until almost a year into our relationship because he did not want to pressure me. I also come from a conservative family where sex was not talked about much so having sex was a big deal to me. He is my first kiss, my first love, my first romantic everything in a lot of ways.

Anyways, the first year, he flew out to see me every 3 months, and it was nice. I hid him from my parents/family since they would never be okay with me dating someone outside my religion/race. My friends knew about him, but it was just weird for all of us to hang out because (A) he is older and (B) he is of a different race and all my friends are dating someone within the same race. My boyfriend is also not very traditionally attractive and looks old (it took me a while to find him physically attractive after we initially met).

Situation:

This year, I have been making the effort to visit him and his family since I am exercising my independence as I get older. I am also trying to transfer from my community college to a really good state school where he lives currently. If I get into this university, I will be 1 hour away from him (versus 2000 miles). On my most recent trip, I was with him (he moved back with his parents since he was living abroad for a long time, and is helping them run their family business), and we were laying in his room talking and joking and laughing. He was touching my hair and face jokingly (kind of like poking) and was playfully wrestling with me. I thought everything was going fine until I touched his face playfully and within a few seconds, he completely went from 0 to 100. He snapped.

He pushed my whole body off of him and yelled at me to "Get the gently caress off him." I did and I was so confused and I was like "what happened?" He started yelling at me saying that he couldn't believe I hit him like that and that I slapped him. Honestly, Reddit, I don't remember slapping him or hitting him or anything. We were playfully touching each other and joking around and there wasn't any malicious bone in my body. I would never think to use my hands on him. I have never done that before in my life with anyone. I kept asking what he was talking about and I became upset when I saw he was so upset at me because I didn't know what I had done. He got off the bed and I made the mistake of grabbing his hand and saying, "BOYFRIEND, please I am sorry, I didn't mean to do anything bad. Please don't go." He immediately grabbed the back of my head (hair) and whispered, "Shut the gently caress up or I will not hesitate to punch the poo poo out of your face."

Now, no one, no one has EVER said anything like that to me. I froze and became quiet. He left the room and I fell to the floor shaking and sobbing as quietly as I could so his parents wouldn't hear me (their room was on the other side of the house). I had my stuffed animal that I brought with me on the trip in the room and I just grabbed that and sat holding him in the corner crying to myself. I missed my parents and my family so much in that moment and I felt so lovely for being here on this trip to see my boyfriend and they knew nothing about this.

My boyfriend left the room and the house to do whatever and I spend the night in the room by myself. I finally ended up going to bed in the guest room (since his parents did not want us sleeping in the same room) and sleeping there. I woke up in the middle of the night to find that boyfriend had crawled into my bed and was touching me. I was so scared to say anything although I didn't want him to be touching me after that incident, but I didn't say anything so he proceeded to have sex with me. I felt so unloved and sad during this, but he didn't say anything to me and neither did I. It's now the next day and he is at work and I am the house by myself. I don't leave to go home for another 2 days. I don't know what to say or do. I love him so much, and he has been so good to me all this time but then again, last night was something that made me feel really bad. He didn't hit me or anything, so I guess it's not abusive, but I don't know why I feel so bad. I miss my family and I can't wait to be home in my own bed. Thanks for listening.

td;lr: Boyfriend got upset because he said I hit him (I didn't mean to) and he threatened me and left me by myself to cry. I am stuck in another state for another 2-3 days and I don't know how to handle myself. I don't know why he got so mad at me. What can I do to make sure this doesn't happen again?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

is it not enough to have reprehensible politics, that you also must have unforgivable taste as well?

oh no, someone likes different nerd games to you

4E owns btw

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ocean Book posted:

depressed people can act in isolating destructive ways, but they also aren't a homogenous blob. I strongly agree with your previously stated thesis that depressed people need to take responsibility and initiative in breaking harmful cycles themselves and take ownership of those cycles, but I don't agree with the idea that a person is only "actually depressed" if they are unhelpable. What sort of criteria is that anyway?

i like boxes and destroying boxes, like a mario. when i use my head (brain) on a box it goes "bwip" and i bash it until it dies and a mushroom (livelihood) comes out. video games are dangerous for children and have made me the monster i am today.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Batterypowered7 posted:

Did your mother force you to ritually torture an Eeyore plushie after she was done forcing you to mutilate the Quasimodo toy or something?

kintsugi child

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
and no but nice work on the both the quasimodo toy callback and also a reference to my mother's hatred of "winnie the pooh" and although i have no doubt she would have no truck with that mess of a donkey, i think she could at least respect his upfront despair (from a distance), as opposed to oblivious "social parasite" winnie, whose presence in the community is a sickness

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Pick posted:

kintsugi child

lol

Write the book, people will buy it. Especially if it tells them they don't need to get therapy.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

SirSamVimes posted:

oh no, someone likes different nerd games to you

4E owns btw

4E is tons of fun for combat. It doesn't feel as flexible for roleplaying/social stuff as 3.X or 5E. Skill challenges loving ruled, though, and should be adopted by more systems.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pick posted:

and no but nice work on the both the quasimodo toy callback and also a reference to my mother's hatred of "winnie the pooh" and although i have no doubt she would have no truck with that mess of a donkey, i think she could at least respect his upfront despair (from a distance), as opposed to oblivious "social parasite" winnie, whose presence in the community is a sickness

who the gently caress hates winnie the pooh

Bogus Adventure posted:

4E is tons of fun for combat. It doesn't feel as flexible for roleplaying/social stuff as 3.X or 5E. Skill challenges loving ruled, though, and should be adopted by more systems.

3.x is literally worse than 4e for roleplaying and social stuff in every possible way

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
My(32M), gf(29F), is lying to me about reading the books I recommended her.

quote:

u/HowdoIreddittellme

So I've been seeing this girl for about a month, and things are going well. We are both very cerebral people, though we have different intellectual interests. She came over to my apartment, and I showed her my "library", which mostly consists of books on economics and history(centering on economic and military history). She asked a few questions, and I suggested some books from my library. She seemed to really like the look of a shorter book on Barbary Piracy, and ask to borrow it, so I let her. Its short enough so that when I saw her a week later and she said she finished it, that was perfectly reasonable. However, when I tried to talk with her about the book/subject as a whole, her answers indicated to me that she hadn't read the book, or at most had skimmed a small part of it. Should I just ignore this, or talk to her about it?

TLDR: Showed a girl my library and she asked to borrow one. She later claimed she read it, but I could tell she was lying. What do I do?

Definitely confront her. This can only go well.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Inescapable Duck posted:

literally my mom refers to him as a "social parasite" and he was Forbidden in our house

he takes the Honey of his Friends but he does not have a Job

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

i saw your edit and I understand entirely but i am still Burned and Owned by many times of trying to help people when they were depressed who treated me like crappo, who then when i was suicidally anorexic, did nothing or immediately cut me loose

so it's like, life is hard

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

girl pants posted:

My(32M), gf(29F), is lying to me about reading the books I recommended her.

Definitely confront her. This can only go well.

She thought it was a bodice ripper but it turned out to be some stuffy nonfiction and gave up on reading it.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Inescapable Duck posted:

3.x is literally worse than 4e for roleplaying and social stuff in every possible way

How so?

Pick posted:

literally my mom refers to him as a "social parasite" and he was Forbidden in our house

he takes the Honey of his Friends but he does not have a Job

He has a job. He's Christopher Robin's personal carebear.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
Me [32F] with my husband [28M] of almost 6 years (together almost 10) - He doesn't like the books I read and fights with me about them...

quote:

u/LiftingMomma

I have a book series I've been reading for about 5 years. I'm about 40 books in to 55 book series. My husband just happened to pick one of the books up about a year ago and flip to a page that had a sexual scene going on. (It happens once or twice per book, usually at the end of a chapter. I skip over it - that's not why I read them.)

He's forbidden me from reading them (even though HE'S the one who purchased most of them for me), and tells me that I'm disgusting and I read "filth" and that I have issues because I'd rather read about sex than do it. Is this normal? Who is right or wrong here? Help?

tl;dr: My husband doesn't like the books I read because there are sexual scenes in them. He calls me disgusting for reading such "filth". Who's in the wrong here?

I hope the book series is Animorphs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bogus Adventure posted:

He has a job. He's Christopher Robin's personal carebear.

... augh!