Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Aleph Null posted:

It used to be fancy box art, fold-out maps, and bound manuals. Ah, the good old days.

One of my favourite things about buying old games that I've never tried is cracking open a manual. It's so nostalgic to skim through the basics and have the feeling "That sounds like a cool mechanic, can't wait to play with it!" Often when reading the manual I'd be like "Oh my god you can apparently do this cool thing at some point!" to my brothers back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My favorite is when the manual would make a huge deal out of some mechanic and then it would appear once in the game. Even better when it wasnt in the game at all.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Barudak posted:

My favorite is when the manual would make a huge deal out of some mechanic and then it would appear once in the game. Even better when it wasnt in the game at all.

My favorite (thread appropriate) manual was for Conquest: Frontier Wars, which listed units not appearing in game, several unit portraits copy/pasted (ie mismatched), typos, flat-out incorrect descriptions and more!

Still a pretty good game, ish.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I've still got my old boxed copy of Civ 4 around and that manual could probably stop a bullet.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There was a PC game that I saw that had the best review quote ever due to how inappropriate/perfect it was, although I didn't buy it as I hate RTSs: It was called East India Trading Company. The review text?

"This game will pick you up and never let you go"

I found that hilarious due to the literal meaning actually applying (the company was one of the biggest parts of the American Slave Trade)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Yardbomb posted:

I've still got my old boxed copy of Civ 4 around and that manual could probably stop a bullet.

Baldurs Gate II has a doorstopper manual, since it has a spell description for every spell in the game.

That game had a lot of spells.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I still miss my Dungeon Keeper manual. :sigh:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

My favorite (thread appropriate) manual was for Conquest: Frontier Wars, which listed units not appearing in game, several unit portraits copy/pasted (ie mismatched), typos, flat-out incorrect descriptions and more!

Still a pretty good game, ish.

Spider-man for the Apple II had a section in the manual with the correct answers to the copy protection quiz at the beginning to play the game. Some of the answers were wrong in the manual.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Baldurs Gate II has a doorstopper manual, since it has a spell description for every spell in the game.

That game had a lot of spells.

And it smelt so wonderfully of watercress.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ran into this in Bloodborne today

https://youtu.be/QvBTQC5lEVg

Because that makes sense

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Hard Reset: it's almost impossible to search google for technical help with this game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Finally getting around to recording Project Eden, as I've been meaning to do an LP of it for years but other things kept coming up/taking priority for me to show off. I'd forgotten how annoying it is to hit small enemies as the character you control, although the AI handily picks up the slack by being super accurate, which is a shame, because the rest of the game outside the voice acting is really well designed. The level layouts/environments especially.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Olive! posted:

Hard Reset: it's almost impossible to search google for technical help with this game.

Pcgamingwiki is usually a good start.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Yardbomb posted:

If it's like Civ 1, you absolutely need to read the manual or you'll be poo poo at the game

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Len posted:

Ran into this in Bloodborne today

https://youtu.be/QvBTQC5lEVg

Because that makes sense

At first I thought it was a rendering glitch and the boar was invisible. That, my friend, was a clipping issue! The boar flips its head up at the end of a charge, and I guess you were in the perfect spot for that to go through the wall and floor.

So it makes sense. It’s just poo poo!

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
So something Xenoblade 2 likes to do is switch to low textures sometimes when its loading an area. Usually its like one or two seconds - but for some reason every cutscene/ battle in the world tree has the game reduced to really garbage textures.

Apparently its due to being played in Mobile mode?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Simcity 2000 manual or bust, imo.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
"quick".

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I wonder if there's a market for reprinting this kind of manuals

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Has any game had a good reason for timed rewards? As in you send a henchman to go on an offscreen adventure that takes X hours?

Assassins Creed had a metagame where you sent ships off on trading routes and it was loving dull. Worse than being pointless were those rewards in Black Flag that contributed to 100 percent that were locked behind this waiting game.

MGSV had almost every upgrade locked behind a timer, and to get two hard achievements you'd have to scrounge up the resources to develop a nuke, play for another 24 hours, get the cheevo for building the nuke, then promptly scrap the nuke and get nothing back except another achievement. It doesn't even unbalance the game if you mod out the timers.

I hear Xenoblade 2 has a feature like this, but it has to compete with a dozen other horrible features.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Has any game had a good reason for timed rewards? As in you send a henchman to go on an offscreen adventure that takes X hours?

Assassins Creed had a metagame where you sent ships off on trading routes and it was loving dull. Worse than being pointless were those rewards in Black Flag that contributed to 100 percent that were locked behind this waiting game.

MGSV had almost every upgrade locked behind a timer, and to get two hard achievements you'd have to scrounge up the resources to develop a nuke, play for another 24 hours, get the cheevo for building the nuke, then promptly scrap the nuke and get nothing back except another achievement. It doesn't even unbalance the game if you mod out the timers.

I hear Xenoblade 2 has a feature like this, but it has to compete with a dozen other horrible features.

Secret World Legends just patched in a system like that where the purpose is to get whale money to try and keep the game afloat. I guess that's a good reason?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I spent just as much time reading the materials for Warcraft 3 and the original fallout as playing them

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Agents of Mayhem, a game with a lot of other problems already (and some good points!), has one of the absolute worst versions of this.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Dragon Age Inquisition has the war table, which you use to task your dudes to do a bunch of stuff. I like it in theory, because it helps make you feel like you're commanding a force larger than the small group of peeps you run around the world with, and a bunch of the war table stuff has at least some sort of decision to make in how you want to deal with it. It also has you returning to your HQ every once in a while, which gives you another reason to go back to check out new companion interactions and stuff. What makes it worthy of this thread, however, is that it feels like you constantly need to interrupt what you're doing to go tell your dudes what to do next. I wish it had a queue for each adviser so your play wasn't interrupted with notifications that essentially say "hey you got a minor reward and also this guy is being useless now until you get back to tell them what to do". New war table stuff already unlocks as you progress, and I feel like checking out the new stuff to possibly update your advisers' queues would have been enough to achieve what's good in the system without the annoying bits.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Yeah it does. The rewards themselves for the most part are bad - and just used to raise your "merc rank". But you do get development reward missions eventually that add more items to shops, and deeds (which are permanent increases of stuff).
And a lot of the time it just feels like padding when it shows up mid quests.

The main use I've found is to use it like a pokemon-esque daycare to level up blades. Which in turn gives you better chances for getting "rare" blades by making their owners build up trust and other stuff.

The only bad features of Xenoblade 2 are the RNG - which would have been better off just having you do missions to get Rare Blades, like with Vess or Wulfric.
And that the menu's are pretty bad - especially things involving the blades.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Final Fantasy XV: gently caress the constant dropships, and especially gently caress the one that dropped a level seventy-loving-six mech on me that one-shot me with homing missiles and destroyed an hour+ of fishing and sidequesting.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Olive! posted:

Final Fantasy XV: gently caress the constant dropships, and especially gently caress the one that dropped a level seventy-loving-six mech on me that one-shot me with homing missiles and destroyed an hour+ of fishing and sidequesting.
Lmfao that sucks. I spent a half hour going through a random cave full of very low-level enemies, that got murdered by an endgame-level samurai guy.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Lmfao that sucks. I spent a half hour going through a random cave full of very low-level enemies, that got murdered by an endgame-level samurai guy.

FFXV is a mess when it comes to enemy placement. At least Xenoblade will plop you down right before the fight if you get one-shot by a random high level monster.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

This owns imo

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I was trying to remember why I stopped playing ffxv. And yeah, it was the drop ships. Way too difficult to get away from, and are basically random encounters.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I was trying to remember why I stopped playing ffxv. And yeah, it was the drop ships. Way too difficult to get away from, and are basically random encounters.

That's pretty much what it is, isn't it? Just a modernized version of walking along the world map and getting in a random encounter with some baddies. Some things shouldn't be carried on from oldschool jrpgs :argh:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If youre on your chocobo youll be so long past them that by the time someone says “imperials above us” you wont even be able to find the dropship.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Is it just me, or does the first Devil May Cry feel a little clunky? It's an older PS2 game, but I remember Dante moving a hell of a lot smoother than he does. Then again, I haven't really played it since it came out, so I'm not really qualified to make a true judgment.

One thing that is driving me crazy, though, is how any of the guns don't seem to really have much oomph behind them. I'm currently using the grenade launcher, since it does the most damage, but it feels really anemic all the same.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

Is it just me, or does the first Devil May Cry feel a little clunky? It's an older PS2 game, but I remember Dante moving a hell of a lot smoother than he does. Then again, I haven't really played it since it came out, so I'm not really qualified to make a true judgment.

One thing that is driving me crazy, though, is how any of the guns don't seem to really have much oomph behind them. I'm currently using the grenade launcher, since it does the most damage, but it feels really anemic all the same.

That's part of the reason I haven't been feeling it myself.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Olive! posted:

There's a part of me that is genuinely interested in the game now, almost exclusively because of this. Is it occasionally fun enough to be worth the bullshit procgen fuckups?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Somfin posted:

There's a part of me that is genuinely interested in the game now, almost exclusively because of this. Is it occasionally fun enough to be worth the bullshit procgen fuckups?

It's a great game with some extremely strange issues

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's a great game with some extremely strange issues

Jump and interact are the same button. Jump and talk are the same button. JUMP AND PICK UP ITEM, SAME BUTTON, NOTHING WILL GET DONE WITHOUT JUMPING A FEW TIMES FIRST

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Leavemywife posted:

The series didn't get good until 3 though looking back you can see the start of it on 2, seriously Itsuno deserves more credit for the DMC series than Kamiya does, since he led the team that developed the only good games in the series.
It's also why platinums games don't really do much for me, since they don't have much in common with the good DMC games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

No you're right. DMC1 is a lot more clunky than DMC 3 & 4. You just straight up have less alternatives in how you navigate combat and the the fixed camera-angles makes it a lot more difficult to soft-lock enemy attacks than in the sequels which just further emphasizes this fact in gameplay. I think by far Nightmare 3 is the worst example of this as it will get in a lot of cheap-shots due to the camera/jumping/rolling fudging up.

Leavemywife posted:

Here I'd disagree though as someone who just rolled through both 1 & 3 in the re-master. In DCM1 the Shotgun absolutely clowns on a lot of the fodder-type enemies while in 3 it's just kinda eh past the first levels. The dual guns especially feel completely useless in DMC3 except for bosses and extending combos.