Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is he still putting games on his donation goals then just refusing to actually start playing them, like Mario Sunshine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Leal posted:

Is he still putting games on his donation goals then just refusing to actually start playing them, like Mario Sunshine?

Wait he did that?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ChaosArgate posted:

Wait he did that?

Yeah. Phil hates playing Nintendo games cause Nintendo takes all the ad revenue from his videos, so unless his viewers make up the difference he gets really pissy. The Sunshine fiasco happened right after he played Mario & Rabbids, and he didn't want to make no YT money back-to-back so he delayed Sunshine for months and blamed his fans for voting for it in the first place.

As for his Patreon, he doesn't use it anymore for goals. He's put all his chips on Twitch and having sub goals, which has worked about as well as you can expect from Phil. His fanboy paypigs are so desperate to artificially inflate his subcount that they gifted a sub to nightbot.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
It always struck me as odd that he would refuse to play games people voted for. Isn't he the one that puts up the poll for what games people vote for?

If so why would he put a game up for vote that he knows he wouldn't want to play or isn't even capable of streaming at the time?

Which is the case with Mario Sunshine. When he did finally break down and decide to play it, it turned out he didn't even have all the cables needed to stream the game and had to purchase them.

Switching over to twitch subs as a goal was not the greatest of ideas. He did make the sub goal exactly once and then he raised it the next month not realizing that he should give it a couple months before he did so he can see how he trends and figure out what's realistic.

He started at about 500 and is currently sitting at around 420 possibly 390 if you take out the gifted subs which his main supporters throw around like candy in order to artificially inflate his numbers.

Edit: I guess I should also mention that he was only able to reach 500 due to gifted subs and once those started expiring with no resubs his sub count plummeted. Where's he at now may actually be is true subcount since it seems to be stabilized at the moment.

Doseku fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 30, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I wish I could convince people to pay me 1,250 to livestream any game with zero editing.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Leal posted:

I wish I could convince people to pay me 1,250 to livestream any game with zero editing.

You don't even have to be entertaining. You can literally tell your fans that THEY have to make the stream entertaining by cheeringI MEAN interacting with you. :v:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm planning to stay away from Nintendo games because I don't wanna deal with their copyright bullshit, but if you guys give me money I'll play Mario Sunshine, a game I did not like very much.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I tried a Patreon very briefly but abandoned it and cancelled the account because I felt too self conscious. I didn't feel I had anything to offer worth money, and while I was planning on using it as a platform to show off my art improving over time for anyone to donate to encourage, it just wasn't getting any better and I just got embarrassed.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

To break away from the DSP Voyeurism Corner, Achievement Hunter's Minecraft Hardcore thing they started a few weeks ago went some places in episode 3 and I haven't laughed this much at a video in a while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk7x03bNfYg

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Are you sure that's funny? It just looks like a chaotic mess to me.

E: Also yelling over everyone, holy poo poo. Do people actually enjoy this?

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 31, 2018

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Well, yes, they're a kind of entertainment, but they're not exactly refined... and I have to say that video specifically is not the way to sell this series and especially not this group. The AH guys are known for chaos, disorganisation, stupidity and poor impulse control, and their little inter-group alliances, squabbles and such that goes on, and this video is kind of the deep end of that. They even said at the start of this series that they're normally too loud and disfunctional with just six people, and that with nine people simultaneously their video editor is going to have a rough time.

So let's say you followed them from less chaotic (still chaotic) videos and ended up here after a long acclimatisation and familiarity. You'd be used to their general mess, you'd have a feel for the atmosphere they work with, you'd have picked up on when to follow which conversations and who to watch for what reactions, you'd be comfortably filtering out the sheer dumb noise of their group, and you'd also (and this bit is very much key) have all the context of their group interactions from previous videos. So without that, even if you can cope with the chaos and follow what's happening, you wouldn't get why anything is happening, except stupidity.

You wouldn't know that Michael's actual wife died in the first episode, to pretty much zero mourning and a lot of laughing, which was followed by the second episode being all suspense and close calls but no actual dying, setting a rather lowered expectation for danger in episode 3. And then Michael's buddy-rival Gavin immediately dies suddenly and needlessly in stupid circumstances, which is made such a big deal while losing his wife was "eh, what did you expect". Michael plays up the tragedy of it instead of making GBS threads all over Gavin for being a moron like he normally would in such a situation, which is helped because they've got Ryan (at fault for killing Gavin) to poo poo all over, whose reputation is being a bloodthirsty nutcase with a lack of restraint and a poor understanding of even-handedness and he lives up to that perfectly.

And this is, like, the first five minutes? This poo poo persists throughout the video as it just gets dumber and clumbsier and more things go wrong. And if you start off not knowing what the gently caress, this isn't going to help you at all. There are videos to get in on AH's antics if that's your thing (which I'll admit it's not necessarily everyone's idea of good), and then there is a huge DC Universe backstory from entire years of GTA and Minecraft and minigolf and previous productions and podcasts and real life exerpts which will make exactly zero sense if you watch them on their own merit.

TL;DR: Yes it's a mess, it can be funny, but I don't blame you for not getting it especially if this is the first video you've seen.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Sounds bad

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Yeah this. I really like AH and thought this video was particularly good but free of context it's not an easy dive. Just too lazy to type any of this out :v:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
My cat watches the Achievement Hunter Minecraft videos. He's a weirdo.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

kidcoelacanth posted:

To break away from the DSP Voyeurism Corner, Achievement Hunter's Minecraft Hardcore thing they started a few weeks ago went some places in episode 3 and I haven't laughed this much at a video in a while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk7x03bNfYg

TheDarkFlame posted:

Well, yes, they're a kind of entertainment, but they're not exactly refined... and I have to say that video specifically is not the way to sell this series and especially not this group. The AH guys are known for chaos, disorganisation, stupidity and poor impulse control, and their little inter-group alliances, squabbles and such that goes on, and this video is kind of the deep end of that. They even said at the start of this series that they're normally too loud and disfunctional with just six people, and that with nine people simultaneously their video editor is going to have a rough time.

So let's say you followed them from less chaotic (still chaotic) videos and ended up here after a long acclimatisation and familiarity. You'd be used to their general mess, you'd have a feel for the atmosphere they work with, you'd have picked up on when to follow which conversations and who to watch for what reactions, you'd be comfortably filtering out the sheer dumb noise of their group, and you'd also (and this bit is very much key) have all the context of their group interactions from previous videos. So without that, even if you can cope with the chaos and follow what's happening, you wouldn't get why anything is happening, except stupidity.

You wouldn't know that Michael's actual wife died in the first episode, to pretty much zero mourning and a lot of laughing, which was followed by the second episode being all suspense and close calls but no actual dying, setting a rather lowered expectation for danger in episode 3. And then Michael's buddy-rival Gavin immediately dies suddenly and needlessly in stupid circumstances, which is made such a big deal while losing his wife was "eh, what did you expect". Michael plays up the tragedy of it instead of making GBS threads all over Gavin for being a moron like he normally would in such a situation, which is helped because they've got Ryan (at fault for killing Gavin) to poo poo all over, whose reputation is being a bloodthirsty nutcase with a lack of restraint and a poor understanding of even-handedness and he lives up to that perfectly.

And this is, like, the first five minutes? This poo poo persists throughout the video as it just gets dumber and clumbsier and more things go wrong. And if you start off not knowing what the gently caress, this isn't going to help you at all. There are videos to get in on AH's antics if that's your thing (which I'll admit it's not necessarily everyone's idea of good), and then there is a huge DC Universe backstory from entire years of GTA and Minecraft and minigolf and previous productions and podcasts and real life exerpts which will make exactly zero sense if you watch them on their own merit.

TL;DR: Yes it's a mess, it can be funny, but I don't blame you for not getting it especially if this is the first video you've seen.

wtf is this trash

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

TheDarkFlame posted:

Why would you link this one and not any other one, in a thread full of people who don't watch them

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Dabir posted:

Why would you link this one and not any other one, in a thread full of people who don't watch them

The link came from another person.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

alright then why would they, pedant

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TheDarkFlame posted:

You wouldn't know that Michael's actual wife died in the first episode, to pretty much zero mourning and a lot of laughing

I did a double-take and had to look up if you meant his real life wife dying.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
#notaclown

For context, Phil is gonna celebrate his birthweek in a desperate attempt to gain enough funds to pay off his supposed taxes.

This man is 36.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
You know he's about the same age as my older sister.
She's a high powered attorney and has two children. Contrasts are fun aren't they?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Different paths for different people. It's not so much that he's a 36 year old playing video games on YouTube. It's how he's handled himself.

Look at Danny. He's almost 40 and he also plays video games on YouTube. He also makes music about masturbating and eating in the shower.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jamesman posted:

Look at Danny. He's almost 40 and he also plays video games on YouTube. He also makes music about masturbating and eating in the shower.

The Seinfeld of a new generation

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't know where else to put it, but it's kinda related to LP maybe?

drat-near everyone associated with Channel Awesome/TGWTG have compiled a list of problems they dealt with while working with the company. It's long and thorough, going over various accounts of problems over the course of a decade.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WZFkR__B3Mk9EYQglvislMUx9HWvWhOaBP820UBa4dA/preview

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

David D. Davidson posted:

You know he's about the same age as my older sister.
She's a high powered attorney and has two children. Contrasts are fun aren't they?

But does you sister have a wikipedia various nerd wiki/tvtropes pages?

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Jamesman posted:

drat-near everyone associated with Channel Awesome/TGWTG have compiled a list of problems they dealt with while working with the company. It's long and thorough, going over various accounts of problems over the course of a decade.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WZFkR__B3Mk9EYQglvislMUx9HWvWhOaBP820UBa4dA/preview
:stare: not surprising when the main guys online handle sounds like a line from a police report. Glad most of them got out and are doing their own thing.

Had to look up Mike Michaud. His face really makes all his behavior in that doc believable. https://goo.gl/images/JLXuMo

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Jamesman posted:

This is a heavy read. I never got into the Nostalgia "Whoevers" except Lindsey Ellis like last year. This is a fascinating companion peice to the current #metoo climate. Is there anybody on that doc that you would recommend watching?

Tangent - if you are into video essays on retrospectives on video games I recommend Noah Caldwell Gervais. Dude is a Rockey Mountains hippy who does increadibly deep dives in monthly videos. He got a shoutout from HBomberguy as an inspiration. He's good.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 2, 2018

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I never watched any of the Channel Awesome stuff. A video about The Hobbit came up in my recommendations and I watched that, and liked it well enough, and it turned out it was Nostalgia Chick. Other than that, I got nothing.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jamesman posted:

Different paths for different people. It's not so much that he's a 36 year old playing video games on YouTube.

Actually, yes, that's a big part of it. He personifies that stereotype to a T.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

BMS posted:

Actually, yes, that's a big part of it. He personifies that stereotype to a T.

I mean not really, most of the 'big name' streamer guys and all that are about ~positivity~ now, forced or otherwise. It's beardy dad-lookin dudes behind most of the big communities now and people like Phil are the minority, as they keep compacting their terrible fanbases smaller and smaller as any mildly reasonable people still left flake off, while the diehards make it more and more about unquestioning devotion, see the people already mentioned who are so slavishly attached to DSP, they gift subs by the truckload to prop him up and even give them to the bot.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Yardbomb posted:

I mean not really, most of the 'big name' streamer guys and all that are about ~positivity~ now, forced or otherwise. It's beardy dad-lookin dudes behind most of the big communities now and people like Phil are the minority, as they keep compacting their terrible fanbases smaller and smaller as any mildly reasonable people still left flake off, while the diehards make it more and more about unquestioning devotion, see the people already mentioned who are so slavishly attached to DSP, they gift subs by the truckload to prop him up and even give them to the bot.

Speaking of beardy dad lookin dudes. SoloRenektonOnly is a fantastic florida man rear end dude. He's one of my favorite League Of Legends streamers and he seems to have founded or gathering up a co-op cross promotion with other non-pro LoL folks.

Youtube is fascinating sometimes.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

KirbyKhan posted:

SoloRenektonOnly is a fantastic florida man rear end dude.

A what now?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Dude is a country rear end florida man. His dogs will bark at the slightest sound of a person walking by the property. Some dude threarened him one time he went into him all "Brother, I have a gun. Come to my house and I will shoot you" then continued the game explaining ability rotations and wave management. He is amazing.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

KirbyKhan posted:

Is there anybody on that doc that you would recommend watching?

Most if not all of 'em, frankly. Though it might come down to taste with a lot of them.

We actually have a proper Internet Reviewer Thread over in RGD, shortly due for a new iteration. Some of the folks who contributed to that document also post in there on rare occasion. Just be aware that as threads go it can get a bit rowdy for various reasons.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Jamesman posted:

Ctrl+F "Brad"

Ok cool, nothing damning

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Ah well then there's no point in reading this, then.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Agreed, who cares about what happened to them because they weren't actually hired.

But wait, there is one person who was explicitly hired and was paid a wage who was called in the day of surgery to be fired, was forced to sign a non competete agreement otherwise they would withhold her severance pay that disallowed her from making money doing something she knows how to do for 3 years. We should care about her and only her right, cause she was in fact a contracted worker who earned a wage under TGWTG?

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Leal posted:

Agreed, who cares about what happened to them because they weren't actually hired.

But wait, there is one person who was explicitly hired and was paid a wage who was called in the day of surgery to be fired, was forced to sign a non competete agreement otherwise they would withhold her severance pay that disallowed her from making money doing something she knows how to do for 3 years. We should care about her and only her right, cause she was in fact a contracted worker who earned a wage under TGWTG?

Oh, now see that's something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ometeotl posted:

Ctrl+F "Brad"

Ok cool, nothing damning

The short of it is that;

-Mike Ellis sexually harassed several men and women, groomed young fans for sex, and was just generally unprofessional and creepy. Got fired but no complaints were ever actually addressed.

-Mike Michaud is in control of everything but doesn't actually do any work, ignores comments and complaints, repeatedly verbally abuses producers.

-Doug Walker doesn't know how to do anything and doesn't consider the needs of others or values their contributions.

Basically Channel Awesome is an absolute poo poo environment to be a part of unless you're Doug or Michaud.