Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Manuel Calavera posted:

It IS so drat good, yeah. And I'm not even Catholic (born and raised but haven't really followed it since I got out of grade school.)

I'm apparently in a distinct minority that does not care for the show much at all, and think Heaven on their Minds is about the only decent song in the whole score, other than perhaps Pilate's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Liking Andrew Lloyd Webber makes you worse than Freepers.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Fulchrum posted:

Liking Andrew Lloyd Webber makes you worse than Freepers.

Say that to the coat, I dare you.

chitoryu12 posted:

I actually know one of those guys! Justin Sargent was a UCF student down here and he spent a few years at Halloween Horror Nights playing Riff Raff when they did a live action Rocky Horror Picture Show.

He was the understudy for John Legend, and because John was so busy they had Justin perform during most of the rehearsals and they would send video of him to John so he could learn everything before coming to actually rehearse with the cast.
Neat! Which one was he?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Neat! Which one was he?

His Instagram is @justinmsargent if you want to see a bunch of behind-the-scenes stuff.

This is from when he was standing in for John Legend at the rehearsals. He says he got some audio of him doing the parts during rehearsal.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

chitoryu12 posted:

His Instagram is @justinmsargent if you want to see a bunch of behind-the-scenes stuff.

This is from when he was standing in for John Legend at the rehearsals. He says he got some audio of him doing the parts during rehearsal.

Nice. I recognize him from the show. Was there a reason for the tattoos?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Nice. I recognize him from the show. Was there a reason for the tattoos?

Not sure if that's from the show or if it's his real tattoo.

He's had some hilarious bad luck with shows. He got cast in the ensemble and as a swing in Bonnie & Clyde, which closed due to poor sales in 4 weeks. But that's okay, because a few years later he finally got a leading Broadway role!

....in Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark, less than a year before it closed.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Remember how the right spent eight years roundly mocking the left for allegedly believing Obama was "the messiah"?

Top Israeli Rabbi Believes Trump Will Build Third Temple in Jerusalem

I'll give some credit here that Freepers have strongly divided opinions on the subject rather than it being a hugbox.

Lots of comments like this one:

quote:

He better build the gosh darn wall on our southern border first.

2 posted on 4/2/2018, 1:54:54 PM by BenLurkin (The above is not a statement of fact. It is either satire or opinion. Or both.)

...that are still willing to work for him?

quote:

I’m sure Trump knows some excellent architects and structural engineers he can recommend.

4 posted on 4/2/2018, 1:57:07 PM by PapaBear3625 (Big governent is attractive to those who think that THEY will be in control of it.)

Okay this is legit funny:

quote:

Hope he doesn’t getting naming rights - Trumps Temple just won’t work

8 posted on 4/2/2018, 2:04:20 PM by Jolla

And the crazy starts coming out:

quote:

That would appear to be the next step.

Students of scripture know what it means.

10 posted on 4/2/2018, 2:12:08 PM by lurk

Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

quote:

Well, if Trump’s going to build it, it’ll come in ahead of schedule and under budget.

Anyhow, we’ve had Solomon’s Temple...so Donald’s Temple isn’t so far off from that (except that I don’t think that Solomon had to pay hush money to any of his 1,000 concubines). Apparently, Solomon was also quite the negotiator (remember the deal with the 2 women disputing who a baby belonged to, and his “deal” of just cutting the baby in half so that both would be satisfied?).

13 posted on 4/2/2018, 2:22:43 PM by Ancesthntr ("The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." A. E. van Vogt)

A Freeper with an uncommonly good grasp of scripture. This reminds me of Conservapedia's incredibly mixed message during the primaries where they literally said something like "Some could make an argument that Trump resembles the Biblical description of the Anti-Christ, but it is also possible that he will be the hero to oppose the Anti-Christ." Really, talk about damning with faint praise.

quote:

Yeah.

Also, the guy what helps them build the next temple doesn’t seem to end up being the great guy everyone thought he was.

16 posted on 4/2/2018, 2:32:45 PM by Rurudyne (Standup Philosopher)

A Freeper who is not keen on Jews and their role in the Jesus Trap(tm). I had to wiki the term, but it's "supersessionism", the belief that with the arrival of Jesus the Jews lost their claim to be God's Chosen, since the old covenant was dissolved and replaced with a new one. It's my vague impression that supersessionists would be Christians who aren't into the whole "gotta back Israel" thing, seeing it as unimportant to the master plan since they missed the boat anyway.

quote:

Uh...Christ IS “the Third Temple”, as well as the perfect Sacrifice.

Which is why there is no need for another building for animal sacrifice.

Did you miss the part where the veil was torn from top to bottom?

17 posted on 4/2/2018, 2:32:55 PM by G Larry (There is no great virtue in bargaining with the Devil)

Oh good, the *good* kind of isolationism.

quote:

If he does, it should be after he wins a 50 state landslide. Because that would be sticking his nose where it doesn’t belong.

20 posted on 4/2/2018, 3:00:55 PM by Vermont Lt

Yeah, how about that?

quote:

All your points are noted.
Maybe you missed the part where Christ Himself talked about the 3rd Temple being desecrated by the Abomination of Desolation in Matthew 24?

24 posted on 4/2/2018, 3:12:35 PM by Roman_War_Criminal (This country & world is living on borrowed time (Luke 17:26-27))

And it is a surprise to absolutely nobody that a Freeper is a Dispensationalist.

quote:

Perhaps you missed the part where Christ Himself talks about the temple being desecrated in the future tense?

When folks start hearing this kind of talk it should make Christians all over the world rejoice because Prophecy is being fulfilled. When it does happen (and it will), it’s one major step closer towards His soon return. And the way things are ramping up these days, He might even return before the first brick is laid.

If you don’t believe in Dispensationalism, then this whole discussion is moot. It’s exactly why Christians clamor for a new temple.

26 posted on 4/2/2018, 3:18:05 PM by Roman_War_Criminal (This country & world is living on borrowed time (Luke 17:26-27))

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 2, 2018

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I had to go do a little digging on google to make sure I was right, but there is indeed at least some faction of Christians who believe the Anti-Christ will rebuild the Third Temple. Note that the actual term "Anti-Christ" isn't used in the Bible like people use it now, the Apostle John just uses it in the general sense to refer to people who deny Jesus and God. But in popular culture or certain readings, the "Antichrist" is correlated with "The Beast" in Revelation, who is supposed to be a smooth-talking handsome stranger who beguiles the world, becomes a ruler, and fucks poo poo up.

The main argument about the Antichrist/Beast/whatever being in the temple actually wasn't in Revelation like I expected, but is in 2 Thessalonians 2:

quote:

2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.

3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

Long/short there are definitely some arguments that promising to rebuild the Third Temple is creepy as hell and really not a Good Thing.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 2, 2018

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.
RE: Premillenial dispensationalism

There's a long (but interesting) video exploration of the theology in relation to the Left Behind Series that exposes how absolutely wild some of it gets.

Give it a watch if you have a few hours to burn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRxN1DXmSdA

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

RE: Premillenial dispensationalism

There's a long (but interesting) video exploration of the theology in relation to the Left Behind Series that exposes how absolutely wild some of it gets.

For anyone who hasn't read it and really wants to get into it, Patheos/Slactivist has a *very* long running analysis by theologian Fred Clark of several books and films of the Left Behind series. Like he does chapter-by-chapter critiques and has been doing so since 2003. It's a great way to read the insanity through the proper filter, and he spares no punches in calling the authors out as loving heretics (and total hacks) at every turn. Clark is an actual serious Christian who believes in being kind to people and all that jazz, so he pulls no punches at the ghastly version of pseudo-Christianity espoused by Left Behind.

Here's the main index, which covers the works he's completely covered: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2015/11/05/left-behind-index-the-whole-thing/

There's further coverage of later books which aren't indexed here, so if you finish that whole stack you gotta play around with tags and whatnot to find all the chapters of the following books.

Seriously though, if you have any interest in how hosed up Millennial theology is for Fundamentalists, read at least the first couple chapters and see if you dig it. It is frequently laugh-out-loud funny, and the takedowns are just brutal.

EDIT: seriously, this blog series is the best work on religion I have ever read, just go try the first chapter and I bet a number of you will start raving about it too.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 2, 2018

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

For anyone who hasn't read it and really wants to get into it, Patheos/Slactivist has a *very* long running analysis by theologian Fred Clark of several books and films of the Left Behind series. Like he does chapter-by-chapter critiques and has been doing so since 2003. It's a great way to read the insanity through the proper filter, and he spares no punches in calling the authors out as loving heretics (and total hacks) at every turn. Clark is an actual serious Christian who believes in being kind to people and all that jazz, so he pulls no punches at the ghastly version of pseudo-Christianity espoused by Left Behind.

Here's the main index, which covers the works he's completely covered: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2015/11/05/left-behind-index-the-whole-thing/

There's further coverage of later books which aren't indexed here, so if you finish that whole stack you gotta play around with tags and whatnot to find all the chapters of the following books.

Seriously though, if you have any interest in how hosed up Millennial theology is for Fundamentalists, read at least the first couple chapters and see if you dig it. It is frequently laugh-out-loud funny, and the takedowns are just brutal.

EDIT: seriously, this blog series is the best work on religion I have ever read, just go try the first chapter and I bet a number of you will start raving about it too.

Yeah, I love that series, but gently caress it's a lot of blog to get through. Consider me a raver.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I'm apparently in a distinct minority that does not care for the show much at all, and think Heaven on their Minds is about the only decent song in the whole score, other than perhaps Pilate's.

Heaven on Their Minds is one of my favorites, yeah. I need to find the Live show so I can see their version. Alice Cooper did a good job as King Herod too, but that shouldn't come as a surprise.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

McGlockenshire posted:

Freep-adjacent: Down the Rabbit Hole: The world of estranged parents' forums

There's lots of content there, and there are echos of freep mindsets all over it.

This is a good link, thank you.

I also recommend this from time to time, it's excellent.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Manuel Calavera posted:

Heaven on Their Minds is one of my favorites, yeah. I need to find the Live show so I can see their version. Alice Cooper did a good job as King Herod too, but that shouldn't come as a surprise.

His inclusion in the cast was almost enough to compel me to watch, but then I remembered that I really don't like just about everything about the show save Heaven on Their Minds, and he's not even in that song.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Probably a niche request, but given Freep tends to share Walker's literal reagan fetish I'm wondering how poorly his electoral failures were being received?

Just more denial of the trend?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

OAquinas posted:

Probably a niche request, but given Freep tends to share Walker's literal reagan fetish I'm wondering how poorly his electoral failures were being received?

Just more denial of the trend?

Probably, if they even remembered the elections were happening at all. Usual suspects: Soros Gay Abortion Squad, illegal voters, black people voting five times, etc.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Liberals just won a seat on the Wisconsin Supreme Court by a huge margin

Unions! :argh:

quote:

To: napscoordinator

Not surprised. Trump just barely won the state. And it’s infested with unionized government employees...

2 posted on 4/3/2018, 8:07:46 PM by dragnet2 (Diversion and evasion are tools of deceit)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Voter Fraud! :argh:

quote:

"Dallet’s win is yet another example of liberal voter enthusiasm vote fraud in state..."

I'm sure Nancy Ryan backed her all the way. 

3 posted on 4/3/2018, 8:10:29 PM by Electric Graffiti (Jeff Sessions IS the insurance policy)

quote:

To: dragnet2

So many are misguided .

4 posted on 4/3/2018, 8:10:52 PM by hal ogen (First Amendment or Reeducation Camp?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

quote:

To: dragnet2

Now I understand why Walker didn’t want to have special elections that will come up in June. We probably will lose those too and Walker knows it. We are in a World of hurting it appears.

6 posted on 4/3/2018, 8:13:39 PM by napscoordinator (Trump/Hunter, jr for President/Vice President 2016)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Wait a minute...

quote:

To: Electric Graffiti

Trump just won the state and Walker won 3 times without voter fraud so suddenly they are doing it? And if that is the case, why is Governor Walker not doing anything about it?

7 posted on 4/3/2018, 8:15:30 PM by napscoordinator (Trump/Hunter, jr for President/Vice President 2016)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

quote:

“so suddenly they are doing it?”

In case you haven’t noticed the left are lawless. Take a look around. “The ends justify the means” They’re going to do whatever it takes to make sure Trump is a one termer or less. Anyone with a D

They can’t afford to let him dismantle their “playhouses”. The dems were so close to having it all. From never having to worry about elections again.

15 posted on 4/3/2018, 8:23:16 PM by Electric Graffiti (Jeff Sessions IS the insurance policy)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

quote:

To: Electric Graffiti

The dems were so close to having it all. From never having to worry about elections again.

That's a great point. They are truly insane and desperate people who will try to gain power back at ALL costs. We see it every day and the mask is off. Conservatives gain power and usually do not know what to do with it to progress nor know how to keep it. I would not be surprised if we kept on losing pitiful little elections, lose a good amount of Midterm seats and the President will have quite a battle for a second term maybe even with the stink of impeachment and Mueller. 

37 posted on 4/3/2018, 9:10:37 PM by shanover (...To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.-S.Adams)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

*Votes straight ticket Republican in November*

quote:

To: EdnaMode

The omnibus was the final straw. The Gop have been sticking it to Trump for the last 2 plus years and they haven’t stopped trying...From failing to repeal obolacare to siding with ANTIFA against President Trump.

The GOP are dead-enders for special interests and the corrupt state. The party is no more. Bereft of life. Let’s face it, it’s former party.

20 posted on 4/3/2018, 8:31:55 PM by Electric Graffiti (Jeff Sessions IS the insurance policy)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

Oh yeah, that's the stuff.

quote:

Voters look at McShame and McConnell and a few more RINO aholes that are preventing us from making much progress and they turn off. Give up. Unfortunate but understandable —- and it just leaves the commie pinko sorozNazi votes, real purchased and faked Either we get a lot more progress soon to repair America from all the obama damage — or we will witness a long- term abdication by many, many frustrated conservative and moderate voters — who tried very hard in 2016 but apparently failed to win congress or at least the senate in any meaningful manner of speaking — and what Trump has been able to achieve has —- by all accounts —-been largely muted, limited —by the RINO sorozNazi blockade

24 posted on 4/3/2018, 8:36:33 PM by faithhopecharity ("Politicans aren't born, they're excreted." -Marcus Tillius Cicero (3 BCE))

quote:

Packers need to move.

27 posted on 4/3/2018, 8:41:48 PM by rktman (Enlisted in the Navy in '67 to protect folks rights to strip my rights. WTH?)

quote:

All these losses make Roy Moore look better. His loss perhaps not so surprising!

Well I do wonder what November will bring. Ora et labora

29 posted on 4/3/2018, 8:46:55 PM by Persevero (Democrats haven't been this nutty since we freed their slaves.)

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Geez, it's making me split this up...

quote:

To: mrsmith

“Not sure what’ll fire up the Trump voters. “

I do. Restoring the rule of law. Building the wall, deporting illegals and putting the corrupt-staters in prison. If Crooked Hillary were indicted, you would have deplorables coming out in droves.

32 posted on 4/3/2018, 8:55:11 PM by Electric Graffiti (Jeff Sessions IS the insurance policy)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 28 | View Replies]

:laugh:

quote:

To: TexasGurl24; napscoordinator

Hysterical - haven’t been able to browse this website in a long time, and I see people are still engaging in banter about duplicate posts and appropriate media sites. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

34 posted on 4/3/2018, 8:58:05 PM by GreatOne (You will bow down before me, Son of Jor-el!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 26 | View Replies]

Unions! :argh: And college students! :argh:

quote:

In these less-publicized elections two groups tend to show up, the public sector unions and the liberals in the college towns. Where you get both groups combined, like in Madison (Dane County), it’s an absolute blow out. With 87% reporting, Dallet has 107,000 vs. Screnock’s 25,000 votes.

I’m not surprised the liberal won for that reason. Conservatives just aren’t organized for these lower-turnout elections. Organization matters.

36 posted on 4/3/2018, 9:07:52 PM by Norseman (Defund the Left....completely!)

I smell heresy!

quote:

To: napscoordinator; Electric Graffiti; All

I think many Trump voters have been turned off by observing his actions. His on again, off again, change my mind again style may be effective negotiating tactics (I read Art of the Deal 30 years ago), but must be very confusing to all the worried lower income/education people who voted for him.

47 posted on 4/4/2018, 1:45:35 AM by gleeaikin
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

Have I said voter fraud yet?

quote:

With all the voter fraud that’s been turning up, I would be rechecking votes. Especially if they are using computer voting machines. I watched this interview Sarah Westall did with Laura Pressley who has a “Landmark Voting Fraud Case to Change U.S. Elections” going on. Ms. Pressley is in Texas and with all information leading into her election showing she had a clear win she was surprisingly defeated by a 24 year old upstart with no experience. Sound familiar? My area still uses paper ballets (thankfully) but her district uses computer voting machines. I’ll post the interview link if anyone is interested.

https://youtu.be/eWq4PXRnYJY

49 posted on 4/4/2018, 2:10:17 AM by MagnoliaB (You can't always get what you want but if you try sometime you might find, you get what you need.)

quote:

Its vote fraud and control of media.
Liberals are less than 24% of the population they win one-of elections where they can bring their entire national machine to use on one race. Most conservatives never know there is an election going on because the media hides it.

54 posted on 4/4/2018, 3:06:04 AM by Mechanicos

quote:

The Soros team got a Democrat msjority on the Pennsylvania Supreme Court and successfully changed the congressional districts to favor Democrats.

59 posted on 4/4/2018, 5:28:05 AM by Erik Latranyi (Liberal bastions are full of misogyny, drugs, pedophilia and racism (Hollywood, Academia, DC))

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Yes, the only fan-owned non-profit franchise in the NFL must be horrified...

quote:

To: napscoordinator

Packers need to move.

27 posted on 4/3/2018, 8:41:48 PM by rktman (Enlisted in the Navy in '67 to protect folks rights to strip my rights. WTH?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

...like the Alabama replacement-senator election that the media famously maintained such a silence around.

quote:

To: napscoordinator

Its vote fraud and control of media.
Liberals are less than 24% of the population they win one-of elections where they can bring their entire national machine to use on one race. Most conservatives never know there is an election going on because the media hides it.

54 posted on 4/4/2018, 3:06:04 AM by Mechanicos

I'm really enjoying that mid-term elections, famous for low turnout from everyone other than retirees who wonkishly follow local politics, are now an arena of terrible disadvantage for the poor GOP. Must be because all those unemployed people and illegal immigrants are able to talk-up the off-election while True Conservative are too busy running small businesses and attending church to pay attention to such minutiae.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Two threads going so far, this should get pretty interesting both on Freep and in actual reality.

BREAKING: Trump to sign proclamation sending National Guard to the border immediately

Ambiguous "they" but doesn't sound pretty;

quote:

Natl Guard be heavily armed.

They WILL try to provoke an incident.

13 posted on 4/4/2018, 2:53:40 PM by Col Frank Slade

Oh no, unarmed border crossers have a dastardly plan to get mowed down by the military. Better just buy into it and shoot them anyway I guess.

quote:

They WILL try to provoke an incident.

"They" meaning the invaders, not the National Guard. I know that's what you meant, but some may take it the wrong way.

23 posted on 4/4/2018, 2:57:55 PM by Fresh Wind (Hillary: Go to jail. Go directly to jail. Do not pass GO. Do not collect 2 billion dollars.)

I need to read some actual news, but this seems to allege it's more of the usual window-dressing, and not a bunch of guys in Humvees leveling .50-cal machineguns at hordes of invaders.

quote:

A SUPPORT role, not their to SECURE the border as originally announced. No different on the surface than what Bush Junior or Obama did. Even the DHS secretary confirms this a few minutes ago. Troops are not there to secure the border. Guess they better get their smiles and waves down pat as the illegals walk right on by them. Sad.

17 posted on 4/4/2018, 2:55:44 PM by Reno89519 (If Trump can't deliver and folds like a typical Republican, maybe he should be impeached.)

I somehow feel the Posse Comitatus Act should address this somehow. I suppose you could argue that it's not a "domestic" issue and thus PCA doesn't apply, but having a bunch of armed dudes hanging out in Texas sounds a lot like "domestic".

quote:

If Brown refuses to Nationalize the Californio National Guard then replace those units with Marines.

35 posted on 4/4/2018, 3:12:14 PM by Clutch Martin (Hot sauce aside, every culture has its pancakes, just as every culture has its noodle.)

Oooookay?

quote:

If Brown refuses then deploy the Natl Guard to all southern border states EXCEPT CA.

37 posted on 4/4/2018, 3:14:07 PM by Col Frank Slade

With an ROE that doesn't allow them to shoot anyone or arrest anyone? "Ready" for what?

This seems like a *really* expensive way to just have a bunch of extra eyes staring at the border and ready to radio the same number of ICE/BP agents as are already out there. It would seem massively more cost-effective to just put up a few Aerostat blimps (basically stationary drones) at hot-points along the border, and military presumably has a few extra of those around.

FWIW, an Aerostate blimp has a view range of 200nm, so you could cover absolutely the entire US border with 100 of them (at $8.9 million each). Though again, that just means you're *seeing* people coming across, not actually stopping them.

quote:

They don’t have to do much other than be there in significant numbers. Don’t underestimate the deterrent value of a fully equipped National Guard standing at the ready.

50 posted on 4/4/2018, 3:28:14 PM by jazminerose (Adorable Deplorable)

Oh good, if you can just get Mexico to pay his salary (whatever happened to the claim that he'd donate his salary?) then you can count this campaign promise as Mission Accomplished.

quote:

You’re right; it’s over as of now. PDJT’s vow to “go nuclear” seemed to put an end to the northward march of the snakes. All he had to do was say something.

Since his inauguration illegal immigration has decreased dramatically.

As Greg Gutfeld says, “Trump IS the wall.”

60 posted on 4/4/2018, 3:46:47 PM by MayflowerMadam (Have an A-1 day.)

I guess chuckle? What the gently caress kind of threat is an F-18 if it isn't allowed to drop 500lb bombs on border crossers? And keeping those birds in the air is *not* cheap. It's also a pretty pointless airframe to use since at the speed it travels you can barely see anything below. This is exactly why "counter-insurgency aircraft" are basically like Cessna prop-planes where they burn little fuel and fly slow so they can linger and observe the ground for hours and not just zip about it at Mach2 while squinting rapidly.

quote:

A rifle squad supporting each Border Patrol Officer, and Spec Ops for Intel and cross-border.

Supported by Drone, satellite, and fast react aircraft.

Imagine the coyotes when the f-18 screams overhead in a sneak pass!

69 posted on 4/4/2018, 3:54:22 PM by tcrlaf (They told me it could never happen in America. And then it did....)

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 5, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I like the suggestion to send in the Air Force. This means either:

1. We bomb our immediate neighbor's territory.

2. We bomb American soil.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

I like the suggestion to send in the Air Force. This means either:

1. We bomb our immediate neighbor's territory.

2. We bomb American soil.

Launching an invasion on our own sovereign territory to own the libs.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dropping airstrikes on Texas to own the libs.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Please do a Jade Helm on us, Trump Daddy.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Oh good, if you can just get Mexico to pay his salary (whatever happened to the claim that he'd donate his salary?) then you can count this campaign promise as Mission Accomplished.

He donated his quarterly check twice it seems (sending 100K to departments that he proposed slashing millions from), with no further announcements being made. Plus the whole embezzling-$100M-last-year-alone thing.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

OAquinas posted:

Plus the whole embezzling-$100M-last-year-alone thing.

What's this, now?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

MANime in the sheets posted:

What's this, now?

He goes to Trump properties. Which he still owns. And forces his security entourage to spend inflated prices to stay there.

Each golf trip costs at least $3M. Most of that is going to the Trump Org's coffers.

And that's just the most direct means he's been tapping the office for cash.

Edit: So it makes his "I'm working for free" bit extra disingenuous. Easy to "give up" six figures when you're stealing 8-9 figures from the taxpayer piggie bank.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 5, 2018

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

quote:

The dems were so close to having it all. From never having to worry about elections again.

That's a great point. They are truly insane and desperate people who will try to gain power back at ALL costs. We see it every day and the mask is off. Conservatives gain power and usually do not know what to do with it to progress nor know how to keep it.
There's no ironicat big enough for this statement about the state where the GOP just tried not to hold special elections.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

OAquinas posted:

He goes to Trump properties. Which he still owns. And forces his security entourage to spend inflated prices to stay there.

Each golf trip costs at least $3M. Most of that is going to the Trump Org's coffers.

Edit: So it makes his "I'm working for free" bit extra disingenuous. Easy to "give up" six figures when you're stealing 8-9 figures from the taxpayer piggie bank.

Ah OK, fair enough

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

OAquinas posted:

Don't forget that helipad the city had to allow him to build but restricted it to emergencies only and he uses it as a casual trip thing all the time.

He's got to grift all he can now because even he has to know is name is ruined with all the former Trump establishments ditching his name since before his campaign run

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

If that blog is too much, the left behind game is a load of fun. Somehow the American Christian militia has M1 Abrams and apaches and poo poo while the EU stand in uses all soviet weapons. The UN peacekeepers speak in a demonic guttural voice and say stuff like “pain is power.” The Christian upgrade center is a church, and Satan’s is colleges. Also, one of the loading screens is a tidal wave photoshopped red. Except if you look closely there is a surfer on it.

I did an LP of it a decade ago, for another site.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Out of curiosity I wanted to compare rhetoric between various internet forums so, lets play a game! All of these are on the news of John McCain's cancer.

Freep, The_Donald, or ChapoTrapHouse?

quote:

I'll make sure to get some good wine for the official calling of his croaking.

A

quote:

Praying for cancer to eat his brain so he can meet Satan.

C

quote:

Has anyone started a pool yet? I will take Feb. 4, Superbowl Sunday

B

quote:

I think he's faking brain cancer to avoid justice for his role in the dossier

C

quote:

Mc Cain: Please go to hell for Christmas. If not for Christmas,by New Years Eve.

B

quote:

Steve Scalise yourself motherfuck

A

quote:

Hopefully he gets put on the bottom of the VA wait list like all the real military folks who desperately need care.

I cannot wait to spit on his grave. The worst thing that EVER happened to the US (besides Oblowme) was McStain coming home sans body bag.

B

quote:

I'm not pro-torture or anything but ...

A

quote:

His suffering through cancer as the evil empire he helped build crumbles will be his hell.

C

quote:

Adios Songbird Juan!

El Diablo is waiting for you!

B

quote:

who would sign a change.org petition to introduce a constitutional amendment forcing meghan mccain to kill her dad?

A

quote:

..hope he lives long enough to put a noose around his neck for a proper trial, execution, and traitors burial.

B

quote:

I've got no prayers for that war mongering gently caress. Dude foams at the mouth to start a war and send Americans to die. I'll hard pass on well wishes for him and save em for someone that doesn't have a Soros arm elbow deep in his rear end

C

A=CTH
B=Freep
C= TD

No idea what point i'm trying to make here, just wanted to compare and contrast I guess.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Everyone, except a narrow band of Never Trumpers and Decorum Libs, hates John McCain. He deserves it imo.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
tl;dr: this is all a summary of the brutal takedown of the Left Behind series of Fundemantalist apocalypse-porn.

Since more folks seem interested, and it does tie into Freep, I'll summarize briefly what Fred Clark says in his takedown of the Left Behind series. He covers almost all of three books (out of like 16), exhaustively and in detail, and I read two of the three books (and the movie) takedown in the last few days just because I enjoy it that much, and here's the key takeaways:

-- Clark is beating his head against the wall because secular reviewers describe the series as a "literal interpretation of the book of Revelation". Rapture theory is most assuredly not that, because it involves taking little bits of Revelation, some Thessalonians, some of the Old Testament prophets, and cut-pasting them together in attempt to form a cogent narrative which its supporters then claim is abundantly obvious from their readings. These are also people who insist "the Bible says what it means and means what it says" but are also somehow compelled to play ransom-letter with the text to find their meaning. Further, despite claims of it being self-evident, there's an entire cottage industry of pundits all with their own interpretations, selling books, DVDs, and lecture tours around what is supposedly blindingly obvious. The book itself gets into dick-slap fights where the authors shoehorn in hits at competitors, flat-out mocking those who believe that the Tribulation's 7-year countdown starts with the Rapture, rather than with the Antichrist's peace treaty with Israel, or those damned heretics who believe the Rapture occurs after the Tribulation. Also there is a cheerful disregard for the word "literal" where they take any hint of a number "yea, for seven years" and demand it be absolutely 2,555 days, but when the book describes The Beast as having seven heads and ten horns, while *that* sir is metaphorical because it'd just be crazypants to say that the Antichrist has a lion's head instead of looking like Obama/Saddam/Pope, etc.

-- The theology of the book is gruesomely terrible, and the protagonists are absolute assholes. Clark is a Christian, and counts himself Evangelical, but is appalled by the self-centered and un-Christlike behavior of the "saved" protagonists. There are numerous scenes where there's death and destruction all around, and the main characters just waltz past it on their urgent mission to do (whatever) that's vitally involved in their alleged mission, ignoring the people out actually trying to take care of the injured and dying. They hold a massive funeral for their Dispensationalist pastor, attended by hundreds, literally a week after all of Chicago was just nuked as though he's the only death anyone cares about. It's the middle of the great Tribulation where (according to the authors' theory at least) the church is supposed to rebuild itself, since the Bible implies there will still be "the Church" after the Rapture so it presumes some new conversions, and the protagonists basically skip out of every chance to actually witness to people with an incredible testimony based on according-to-Hoyle miracles people are seeing around them, just because it's inconvenient and might blow their cover. And what do the heroes do as their secret mission? One becomes the personal airline pilot for the Antichrist, and the other becomes head of the Global News Network shilling Antichrist propaganda, both cushy positions with massive salaries, condos, access to resources, and unlimited credit cards, but it's totally okay and they're not Nazi collaborators because they *really* disapprove of what he's doing and are using their access to spy on him for... (reasons) even though they don't do poo poo to actually stop him, plus what's the point of going undercover to spy on the Antichrist when all of this is fore-ordained and part of the Great Plan anyway?

Incidentally, Clark likes to point out that the authors never bother mentioning Jesus' actual words about what to do when the End of the World comes, when he basically says "flee to the mountains! If you're up on your roof don't bother getting your poo poo out of the house, and if you're in the fields don't go back for your coat." The protagonists instead pretty much do the Antichrist's bidding, and when not doing that just chill out in a suburb of (recently nuked) Chicago and do scripture readings while refusing to share their findings with anybody.

--Lastly, for the authors it's absolutely vital that the book be about events that could take place Any Moment Now. So they can't really predict future stuff because it shifts the timeline downrange for the Apocalypse, so as decades of books went by and the world didn't end, they had to start shoehorning in stuff that didn't exist in 1995 when they started, like people having cellular phones and internet access, because in 2002 it would be silly to not have those.

In the books, given that one of the authors was a lifelong Birch Society advocate, the United Nations becomes the One World Government under the Antichrist. As Clark notes, that makes zero sense for that to happen anytime in the immediate future, and it's insane that anyone who's spent several decades of his life could imagine the UN shortly becoming the actual ruler of the planet. The UN is a bunch of squabbling diplomats who at most issue strongly worded statements or beg constituent militaries to send troops somewhere. But for The Prophecy to be accurate, in the books everyone is breathlessley following the ascension of the Romanian president to head of the UN, *literally* the week after over a billion people disappeared off the planet, because you see the head of the UN is like the Super Duper President of the whole world and not a castrated spokesman for above bickering diplomats.

That leads me to the even larger point of incredibility: the authors literally treat the Rapture like no big deal, because clearly non-Christians would be totally unphased by it. Every single child under 10 or so, and every Real True Christian adult, disappears off the planet, the UN takes global power and starts nuking cities, and the net impact on suburban Chicago is literally less then you'd see for a severe snowstorm. One hero runs into a Range Rover dealership *as* Chicago is being nuked to buy a tricked-out SUV with his unlimited UN credit card, and the drat store is still open. Nobody has trouble buying groceries or getting gas, the nuking of specifically airports means they just drive to Milwaukee for all their flights from now on. When their pastor gets killed when loving Chicago is destroyed, they're still in contact with the coroner's office to make arrangements. Fundamentally (:rimshot:) the authors have a timeline allegedly spelled out in the Bible, and they'll be damned if any intervening events have any effect on that timeline, because presumably unbelievers are just going to diddy-bop along living their lives during a global apocalypse, and heaven forfend that the protagonists face any personal challenges.

To build on that last point, Clark points out that by coincidence the widespread popularity of books about the Rapture/Apocalypse make the books non-credible because millions of people who aren't necessarily Real True Christians are now vaguely familiar with the general feel of those books. So if all the kids and chunk of RTC adults disappear, people would be saying "hey, this sounds a lot like that Rapture thing like I saw in Family Guy and American Dad, better start hitting the Bible!" Much less the rise of the anti-Christ, global Armageddon, etc. In actual reality, Reddit and Twitter and YouTube would be jam-packed with media saying "I didn't believe this poo poo so I didn't get Raptured, but holy poo poo current events are going right down the checklist." But in the LB world, despite the fact that even before the Rapture Russia and Ethiopia attack Israel, including dumping Russia's entire nuclear arsenal, and it's swatted away without even the tiniest damage occurring to Israel, that that alone wouldn't have literally millions of people re-examining their faith and beliefs.

In summary, Left Behind is a lovely series of books that has sold something insane like 60 million copies, plus multiple movies (including one with Nicholas Cage) so this poo poo isn't just some minor trend, it's a serious current in modern Fundamentalist thought. And yet it's also a mindboggling pastiche of random Bible poo poo purporting to be literal by-the-book truth, has "saved" protagonists who are more antichristy (in the lowercase "a" sense) than Christlike and honestly horrible human beings even for nonbelievers, and takes place in a pants-on-head crazy universe so unlike our own that you can't imagine the world coming to that attitude in the next century, much less next week.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 8, 2018

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

Everyone, except a narrow band of Never Trumpers and Decorum Libs, hates John McCain. He deserves it imo.

yeah i think the underlying point is john mccain can eat poo poo

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
History Proves That Americans Can Unite Even When Torn In Two

Just a little taste of the classic "*they* forced me to be a bigot."

quote:

“I don’t think America will ever be united again.”

I agree.

From the moment the courts started creating “protected groups” the end was in sight.

6 posted on 4/7/2018, 10:50:09 PM by Mears

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Also, one of the loading screens is a tidal wave photoshopped red. Except if you look closely there is a surfer on it.

You know you can't state this without finding it for us to marvel at right.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well the first part isn't wrong. I don't think there really is any kind of rapprochement possible with the Right. Even if they admit it or not, most Democrats agree on some level, which is why they wish for demographic change and Boomer death to resolve the issue.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Trump slams DOJ, FBI over missed document deadline: 'What is going on?'

In which the undisputed head of the Executive Branch can't get said branch to do what he wants.

quote:

Well then run the Executive Department Mr. President.

3 posted on 4/7/2018, 9:20:31 PM by The Toll

Freep hates sessions; blind pig-squirrel finds broken clock.

quote:

Magoo, you’ve done it again!

4 posted on 4/7/2018, 9:20:31 PM by JonPreston

quote:

In before the Sessions bashing.

(1) Mr. Magoo
(2) Granny from Beverly Hillbillies
(3) Keebler Elf
8 posted on 4/7/2018, 9:22:45 PM by Extremely Extreme Extremist (Democracy: The cliff's edge of Marxism)

Just in time for the Blue Wave and credible impeachment hearings:

quote:

Dear President Trump, WE EITHER HAVE TWO FBI'S AND TWO DOJ'S OR ONE OF EACH AS IT SHOULD BE. Trump, it's time to give DIRECT ORDERS for the Deep State FBI and Deep State DOJ to cough up the subpoenaed items OR ELSE THEY MUST ALL FACE IMMEDIATE ARREST.

With each passing day it becomes increasingly clear that Jeff Sessions does NOT control the DOJ and Christopher Wray does NOT control the FBI.

Time to act, Trump!
10 posted on 4/7/2018, 9:25:04 PM by CivilWarBrewing (Get off my back for my usage of CAPS, especially you snowflake males! MAN UP!)

drat!

quote:

Succinctly put...and exactly right. Whining about your own department in public is very Obama-like.

12 posted on 4/7/2018, 9:30:23 PM by ProtectOurFreedom

quote:

That is what I think. Or if is a build up to something already planned and this is a cover. I cannot see the President being weak, this is for show.

16 posted on 4/7/2018, 9:31:40 PM by madison10 (Pray for President Trump.)

15 months in, and Still Obama's Fault.

quote:

How many Trump appointees now serve in DOJ? Is it still staffed mostly by actings? Have the missing appointees been named and submitted to the Senate? If the Senate has the names, what exactly is the holdup?

I don't know about DOJ, but in the couple of agencies with which I have extensive personal knowledge, there are still very, very few Trump appointees. No one has been nominated to most of the vacancies. And very few Schedule C's, who do not require confirmation, have been named. They are run mainly by career people serving as actings. The ones I know are good people and straight shooters, but (like most of the federal establishment) these are not highly ideological agencies.

21 posted on 4/7/2018, 9:33:34 PM by sphinx

Keep fuckin' those goalposts:

quote:

I am pretty confident that he knows what he is doing and understands that timing is everything. We don’t really have a choice in all of this, but even the most jaded conservative should admit that so far this President has exceeded our expectations by a mile. On top of that, he defeated the inevitable candidate.

All in all, I am still smiling here. If he orders it — it would happen, but just like the whole soap opera with Sessions and the seeming lack of activity we all demand.... let’s have some faith in him and enjoy the ride. He knows where this is going and I am sure he has his own reasons for the tweets and theater.

26 posted on 4/7/2018, 9:35:44 PM by volunbeer (Find the truth and accept it - anything else is delusional)

quote:

"Well then run the Executive Department Mr. President."

Easier said than done. POTUS can’t afford a huge GOP Civil War right before the midterms.

37 posted on 4/7/2018, 9:40:10 PM by lodi90

Doesn't keep him from golfing, tweeting, or immediately tweeting about a fire at his Tower.

quote:

It’s clear right now POTUS is under an unprecedented treasonous assault on his office. We have seen nothing like this in American history. That he is not fully staffed up is hardly due to his management style. The man gets nuclear bombs dropped on him on a near daily basis.

Sadly, the same can’t be said of the “true conservatives” in Congress who act like they are bystanders to these historical times. Just for fun you should google “Cruz and McCabe.” I’ll buy you a clue: you’ll get nothing.

POTUS has been almost totally abandoned by his own party. He is in an impossible situation and doing the best he can. Until we put heat on the GOP to support him little will change.

52 posted on 4/7/2018, 9:51:08 PM by lodi90

And oh, but what great things Nunes has done with the classified material in his paws.

quote:

Nunes wants the docs. He has more than earned our unquestioned support. Period.

54 posted on 4/7/2018, 9:52:22 PM by lodi90

Wait, so Trump is using Twitter because it somehow isn't actionable, and that's a good thing?

quote:

“If he directly ordered the FBI to release the information unredacted to Congress. Rino’s, Dems, and the media would start screaming Obstruction of Justice to high heavens. Doesn’t seem logical, but true.”

That’s exactly it. The very reason why he’s having to communicate to the rogue DOJ through tweets. They would record Trump’s direct communications and forward it to mueller as some sort of “obstruction of justice” claim.

Sessions farked us bad.

66 posted on 4/7/2018, 10:09:58 PM by Electric Graffiti (Jeff Sessions IS the insurance policy)

Now That's What I Call Leadership!

quote:

LOL, Trump gets up to piss in the night and tweets just to poke the deep state with a stick. He’s always on the job.

87 posted on 4/7/2018, 10:46:10 PM by right way right (May we remain sober over mere men, for God really is our only true hope.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

History Proves That Americans Can Unite Even When Torn In Two

Just a little taste of the classic "*they* forced me to be a bigot."

Umm, I think you'll see there is no real division.

quote:

To: Enlightened1
Real Americans are united. It’s the anti-Americans, aka the hillary/obama voters, who are in desperate need of sterilization and deportation.

14 posted on 4/7/2018, 9:27:31 PM by Electric Graffiti (Jeff Sessions IS the insurance policy)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]