Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Like you would have to be willfully dense in order to use the "I'm sorry you were offended" line by now.

Hey maybe they don't know. Maybe they honestly don't know every time someone uses that line it pretty much never, ever works out well for the one who said it.

Edit: Also from Dan:

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/980962760321245184

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It pretty much seals that Michaud is a high-functioning psychopath. "I'm sorry you were offended" has been a punchline for almost a decade now.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

that is another thing morrowind gets right. it just dumps you in a lovely fishing town and tells you to go to a place, and after just one short quest the dude explicitly tells you to do other poo poo for a while. that's if you ever actually go to talk to him at all, which i and most everyone i know did not do at first and instead just joined random factions and forgot about the main quest entirely for like, a hundred+ hours.

the way skyrim and oblivion just railroad you at the start makes replaying them irritating at best.

I love Morrowind to pieces, but this actually was a sore point for me. I basically got to the Inperial agent in the capital, killed some rats for him, got turned loose, and then was randomly finding weird stuff around the continent, getting quests I had no idea where, grinding standing with every guild.... and after some 150+ hours I got to this place that was basically 4 massive clan fortresses that looked identical and confusing from within, each with its own faction and intrigues, and I was just confused and lost and stopped playing. :(

Sometimes having something that at least lets you keep the goal in sight helps. Fallout new Vegas is aces in this regard: sure, you can go do your thing, but the future of the wasteland always finds a way to come back into focus when you bump into Caesar's patrols, or even just look at the Vegas skyline.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
https://twitter.com/Obscurus_Lupa/status/980974025785651201

:discourse:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Testekill posted:

They made a response and it's pretty toothless

"But criticism that isn't a means to a productive end does little for either the party criticizing or those in the line of fire"

oh gently caress off

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Harrow posted:

Once Superbunnyhop got his Patreon up and running I think he very quickly realized that if you make something your job, it becomes... y'know, a job. It didn't take long before he said he was done with game reviews because he found that playing games to review them wasn't fun. And like, sure, I bet it does take some of the fun out of them. It's a job.

It might even be good advice to say that if you really love playing games for the sake of playing games, don't try to make a career out of reviewing them.

In Superbunnyhop's case, he's lucky he made his name on things that aren't reviews, like his big Konami investigation from a couple years back, so stopping reviews won't really hurt him.

It might be more that, unless you can get an advanced reviewer's copy of the game, there's no way to provide timely technical reviews of games without burning out quickly. With most other things, you can get an idea of what's good or bad with a few hours with the product, but that might not be enough time to get as familiar for video games.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Testekill posted:

I swear you actually can see Mike Michaud sitting proudly at his PC as he types that out, thinking how easily he's surely stopped the problem and come out on top.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

rudecyrus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRjo2WYvaTA

Noah Caldwell-Gervais revisits Dying Light. I'm considering picking up the game just from this review.

I’ve always been very glad that I came across Noah. Despite being a wander lusting video game hippie he seems to have the exact same approach to and opinions of video games as I do. Sometimes I already know something he likes is good (Dying Light) but sometimes other things, like the DLC to Homefront Revolution, would have never occurred to me as something I would like. But I did.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The big failure of games reviewing as a format imo is it tries to ape film crit in style, but whereas a film is only a couple hours long and a motivated reviewer can blast through a weekend of releases in...a weekend, games largely pride themselves on having tens of hours of repeatable content, so trying to match the immediacy of film reviews with an order of magnitude more poo poo to wade through is a literal nightmare.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I was totally wrong about Shaun’s video, and it actually completely owns. :allears:

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

"But criticism that isn't a means to a productive end does little for either the party criticizing or those in the line of fire"

oh gently caress off

Hey Mush-head... yeah. Umm, all that stuff about critcizing, yeah? Umm-- tell me-- what's the name of the IP you own?

Yeaaaaah.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I swear you actually can see Mike Michaud sitting proudly at his PC as he types that out, thinking how easily he's surely stopped the problem and come out on top.

It took them less than 12 hours to pump out a victim-blaming "we're the real victims" response, and blast it out to True Proud Fans.

So, any wagers on how soon it'll be before those same True Proud Fans respond to Mush-head's "troublemaker" dogwhistle, and start sending death threats to ex-producers they don't like?

And by "death threats to ex-producers", I of course mean they'll only be sent to female producers, natch.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Testekill posted:

Here's MarzGurl's response.

https://twitter.com/MarzGurl/status/980979500228911104

(Linked the embed in the post)

Senerio fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 3, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

This is a pro watch right here.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

AriadneThread posted:

part of it is probably the curse of being <media> critic, where you're obligated to dip into every new offering versus other people that might only come around to that side of town every few years

i think i might pick up far cry five later this year, and seeing as i've never touched an ubisoft game, the complaints about repetition don't worry me too much

Thing is, I haven't played that many Ubisoft open world type games but of the ones I have played the busywork becomes tedious well, well before I've even finished one game. Back in the day I actually liked doing things like finding hidden packages in the GTA games since the rewards were awesome and it encouraged you to poke around the world but I remember playing Far Cry 3 and just completely losing interest in stuff like the relics since it got old real old real quick. Modern open world games have kind of hosed up the incentivisation for the side activities since they seem to think that the act in and of itself for finding various trinkets and poo poo is enough to get players to hunt them down when I think it was the potentially game breaking rewards that you would receive for finding things like Vice City's hidden packages that made me track them down more than anything.

I've been playing Arkham Knight recently, since it turns out it runs way better on my PC than I was led to believe, and I find the Ubisoft design elements there are already trying my patience pretty badly, especially the stuff that involves the Riddler trophies or weeding out the militia presence in Gotham, though in fairness the Arkham games usually have the wisdom to give the player some narrative hooks to do the side content which is also something too many open world games these days neglect.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Lightning Knight posted:

I was totally wrong about Shaun’s video, and it actually completely owns. :allears:

Yeah it's pretty good. Takes a bit to get going and it's a flippin' hour long but there's some real meat in here.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Just gonna go ahead and link my tweets

https://twitter.com/KimxxxJustice/status/981003031197159427

https://twitter.com/KimxxxJustice/status/981008540306468864

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I'm not even done reading the doc and I'm feeling pretty sorry for a lot of these producers, especially Holly who probably had it the worst. DrGonzo being neglected by the staff and his friends on the site isn't a pretty story either.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm watching a lot of these streams for the first time (because lol as if I'm going to give a loving Nazi views), but I am absolutely amazed that none of these Nazi morons haven't been shot yet.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

I mean, both nostalgiacritic.com and thenostalgiacritic.com are totally unregistered and it'd be a real shame if they just happened to redirect to that document. Just sayin'.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82l8mDoEU3c

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The big failure of games reviewing as a format imo is it tries to ape film crit in style, but whereas a film is only a couple hours long and a motivated reviewer can blast through a weekend of releases in...a weekend, games largely pride themselves on having tens of hours of repeatable content, so trying to match the immediacy of film reviews with an order of magnitude more poo poo to wade through is a literal nightmare.

I think the main failure of video game reviews is that once a person reaches a certain age, reviewing video games comes across as a little sad.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Not really.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Motto posted:

Not really.

Nah man, just think of it. Imagine your 90 year old grandpa reviewing Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue.

Just brings a tear to your eye thinking about it right?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Came for the salt, stayed for the victim blaming song.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Nah man, just think of it. Imagine your 90 year old grandpa reviewing Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue.

If it's something someone legitimately enjoys and is doing because they enjoy it and have a love for it, who cares?

Like one of the first internet reviewers I liked was Grumpy Jiisan who for the most part talked about anime he really liked while also going on hiking trips. He was great, I miss him.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

RareAcumen posted:

My grandparents are all dead, so it would be weird if any of them started reviewing anything.

And now I'm wondering if there was anyone who tried a zombie gimmick for their reviews.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I just read the Channel Awesome doc and Doug comes across as a bit of a dullard.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Yaws posted:

I just read the Channel Awesome doc and Doug comes across as a bit of a dullard.

As opposed to how he comes across in his videos?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

RareAcumen posted:

Legit does. My gramp is grumpy but a great guy and I wish he was happier. He's been depressed since grandma died.

:smith:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

lornekates posted:

Hey Mush-head... yeah. Umm, all that stuff about critcizing, yeah? Umm-- tell me-- what's the name of the IP you own?

Yeaaaaah.

It's not specifically the word "criticism", it's the translation of "why are you complaining now, that does nothing but make us look bad, you shouldn't have bothered speaking up at all"

That's not something you should include in an apology, no matter how unapologetic it is, that one line turns it around from trying to make them the harmless victims, to actually pointing to previous producers as attackers for not staying silent.

yeah no gently caress off

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

As opposed to how he comes across in his videos?

I've never watched a video from any of the CA producers (past or present) in full.

I'm that badass.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Yaws posted:

I've never watched a video from any of the CA producers (past or present) in full.

I'm that badass.

My rear end was bad, but then I got it checked out by an rear end doctor, and it's way better now. :shobon:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

wrong thread
this is relevant again tho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySJpMyLiLRU

Augus fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 3, 2018

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

RareAcumen posted:

I'd watch that.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I’m glad I watched Shaun’s new video but I felt sick the whole time through it.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Uh, so does anyone know who the "high profile producer" who was grooming anon 1 was? Like, that seems like it might be important to know

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Moatman posted:

Uh, so does anyone know who the "high profile producer" who was grooming anon 1 was? Like, that seems like it might be important to know

I assume it wasn't mentioned because identifying the producer would risk identifying anon 1 and 2.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Allison gives no fucks and it's the best thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82l8mDoEU3c

A new voice to help widen your eye

• Locked thread