Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

His budget is overitemized. Or he should budget more for her and if he doesn't she should leave him.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

LadyPictureShow posted:

My [23F] boyfriend [30M] has a relationship "budget." I can't seem to get over it.

Sticking to a budget is a good thing, but you can sometimes have too much of a good thing.

Just take half in the divorce 10 years from now.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

LadyPictureShow posted:

My [23F] boyfriend [30M] has a relationship "budget." I can't seem to get over it.

Sticking to a budget is a good thing, but you can sometimes have too much of a good thing.

Congrats on dating a living spreadsheet.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

JaneError posted:

Should I [27F] tell my Mum I hate fudge? How do I tell her?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzYnlHZeSjw

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Play posted:

I get the strong feeling that there is a LOT more going on here. When presented from this dude's utterly clueless and near-autistic perspective, it almost seems like the wife is just as crazy as the mom and they have this kind of mutual grudge thing going on.

Once you realize that this guy has the emotional intelligence of a turnip it becomes clear that there were probably a million little (and not so little) things that led to the wife giving her ultimatum. The wife just wants some control over her own child and her own family. Dude's such a huge boob and a momma's boy that he's going to lose his wife and child if he can't grow beyond his stunted perspective.
Mother's been purposely antagonizing to break them up, it's buried among all the other stuff but he writes it right there

quote:

My mother stormed off and sent me a long text about how she is just trying to be friends with my wife but she hopes I see how it is not possible.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Mother's been purposely antagonizing to break them up, it's buried among all the other stuff but he writes it right there

no, the mom is super demanding and hovering and has no boundaries with her doormat son

like from the get go mom is all "i'm going to be scrubbed up and in the delivery room when this kid comes" which, no, that is never going to happen and it's completely delusional

she's not doing this deliberately, she's doing this because she is the center of the universe and the wife needs to get on board with tha

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Boiled Water posted:

It is 100% certain he subscribes to that penny pinching subreddit.

He kinda comes off like one of those people that takes like fifty ketchup packets from a fast food place because ketchup doesn’t fit into his budget.

boner confessor posted:

no, the mom is super demanding and hovering and has no boundaries with her doormat son

like from the get go mom is all "i'm going to be scrubbed up and in the delivery room when this kid comes" which, no, that is never going to happen and it's completely delusional

I feel like we’ve seen other stories of ‘MIL is former doula/L&D nurse/any ol’ nurse and goes nuclear when the guy’s wife tells her to gently caress off with her ‘expert’ opinion’

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 2, 2018

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

boner confessor posted:

she's not doing this deliberately, she's doing this because she is the center of the universe and the wife needs to get on board with tha
It's both. She wants them to break up because the wife won't play her game. "I hope you see it's not possible" vs "I hope you can make her be nicer to me" seems to me like mother's given up hope of getting the wife on board and has moved on to getting her subservient son back fully under her control.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

I feel like we’ve seen other stories of ‘MIL is former doula/L&D nurse/any ol’ nurse and goes nuclear when the guy’s wife tells her to gently caress off with her ‘expert’ opinion’

There was one where the MIL was mad that her son's wife wanted her own mother in the delivery room instead of her.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Rubellavator posted:

There was one where the MIL was mad that her son's wife wanted her own mother in the delivery room instead of her.

No, that was just me, the last time this came up.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

loquacius posted:

How exactly can she acknowledge that extreme obesity could leave her confined to a bed, and also think it's good and safe and not unhealthy at all :confused:

Like, I know she's going to any and all lengths to justify it in her head, I just don't understand how those two ideas can coexist in a brain

A fat enough brain can easily contain the most voluminous contradictions.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

dudeness posted:

I mean Canon is a religious term so yeah.

I'm pretty sure the actual word is canonical. Unsurprisingly nerds managed to gently caress that up.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

All that stuff really depends on how much he actually makes, which she never really makes clear for probably the obvious reasons, but this:

Yeah that's bad. Not good news if a guy can't even tell when his gf just wants a bit of sympathy instead of some lecture about how stupid she is and how if she was smart like him she would've done it this other way.

Also if you read it closely you can see that she's actually spent more on the relationship than he has and asks her to split literally every expense. That's so unattractive and it really doesn't matter how much money you have. Just a willingness to sacrifice a bit of cash for someone you love goes a long way.

Now she knows exactly what she's worth to him, and that is $75 per month.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Play posted:

I'm pretty sure the actual word is canonical. Unsurprisingly nerds managed to gently caress that up.
canonical literally just means "belonging to the canon"

wikipedia posted:

The English word "canon" comes from the Greek κανών, meaning "rule" or "measuring stick". Christians became the first to use the term in reference to scripture, but Eugene Ulrich regards the idea as Jewish.[2][3]

Play
Apr 25, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

canonical literally just means "belonging to the canon"

I know, meaning that when people say "that's canon" they should be saying "that's canonical" because canon is a noun

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Play posted:

I know, meaning that when people say "that's canon" they should be saying "that's canonical" because canon is a noun

next tell us the one about 'literally'

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Play posted:

they're referring to Nick Canon, funky godson of Pachelbel Canon, one of Europe's most respected cannoneer.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

they're referring to Nick Canon, funky godson of Pachelbel Canon, one of Europe's most respected cannoneer.

makes sense

Brother Entropy posted:

next tell us the one about 'literally'

nerds gettin upset itt

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Me [25F] with my reader(s) [? probably F] of about 2 years, someone is writing fanfic of my crack ship and asked my opinion of it

quote:

This is sort of an odd one, my apologies in advance.

I write fanfiction, and my specific ship is a crack ship and very unique, in that the two characters have never actually met in canon, so i have basically made up their relationship out of whole cloth. Because of this, as you might imagine, I feel very attached to the characters and their relationship. I've been writing this series for about two years and have managed to attract a few dedicated readers, for which I feel very blessed.

However, recently someone started writing a story using the same character tags (i.e. they have the same slash pairing in the story), but set in their own story world, separate from the canon I've been developing. At first I was flattered that someone liked my story and my ship enough to want to write more about them, but then I read it and it is awful, just really poorly written and with very little understanding of the characters.

I thought I'd leave well enough alone and not acknowledge it, but now someone (possibly the writer of the fic, but it's hard to tell because they always comment using a name that isn't associated with any account) has commented on my latest work pointing out that there is a new fic using my tags and basically asking my opinion.

Obviously I don't want to be rude, this community is and should be very supportive of each other. On the other hand, I don't want to lie, it really is a terrible story and I'm slightly offended that they're using my ship like this. What should I say to them? Am I being stupid for being unhappy with them writing about my ship?

TLDR Someone in my fan community asked for my opinion on a work that is based on my own, and I think it is not good, but I don't want to be rude. How do I respond politely without lying about my opinion?

canon drama

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

quote:

crack ship

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I [27/f] just got blocked by a friend [25/m] for an April Fool's joke, should I bother apologizing?

I'm still a bit confused. I totally thought he was playing along and then BAM, he blocked me cold. I'm like "whoa... what?" but my other friends are saying "if he really believed that you would break and enter that quickly, then his friendship really wasn't worth all that".

This is how it went down tonight...

ME: 5:14PM - Dude, I've been knocking on your door for 15 minutes. You asleep in there?

HIM: 7:39PM - I'm in Connecticut?

ME: Well, that explains a lot.

HIM: You're at my house?

ME: Yep. Roswell is pretty. I let myself in and I'm moving everything one inch to the right so everything is just sliiiiiiightly off.

HIM: You're in my house without me inviting you in? Friends don't do that. Do I need to call the police?

ME: Greg let me in.

HIM: Is this the stupidest April fools ever?

ME: Gasp! You called me stupid.

ME: Sigh. I'm still in RVA. You don't need to call the police.

HIM: Not cool. Not cool at all. I'm blocking you.

Was that really out of line? I'm trying to figure out what I did, other than a joke that went poorly...

TL;DR - Friend blocked me after I played an April Fool's joke on them. Still a bit confused.

:stare: I know this person IRL, they posted this on their facebook as well

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

13Pandora13 posted:

:stare: I know this person IRL, they posted this on their facebook as well

tell them someone on the internet thinks they're a dumbass

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

someones

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Brother Entropy posted:

Would you believe me if I said they're not the kind of person who would take such a thing well, and strongly prefer an echo chamber of "no, it was he who was overreacting!"

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
crack ship

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

13Pandora13 posted:

Would you believe me if I said they're not the kind of person who would take such a thing well, and strongly prefer an echo chamber of "no, it was he who was overreacting!"

well duh, that's why i want you to tell them that!!

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Play posted:

Me [25F] with my reader(s) [? probably F] of about 2 years, someone is writing fanfic of my crack ship and asked my opinion of it

canon drama

Fanfic of your work can be flattering--just as long as you don't read it. Learn from this, and go outside.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Khazar-khum posted:

Fanfic of your work can be flattering--just as long as you don't read it. Learn from this, and go outside.

actually this a fanfic of a fanfic and there's no conceivable way that should make a person proud

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Play posted:

actually this a fanfic of a fanfic and there's no conceivable way that should make a person proud

No but it could make them insanely wealthy

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Play posted:

canon drama

jfc it's a casual hobby just lie and say you enjoyed it

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

13Pandora13 posted:

Well then after you tell them, just say 'April Fools'!

No I don't care its the 2nd.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My partner (34m) gets so angry with me that he screams and throws things, how do I (28f) handle these outbursts in a mature way?

My boyfriend is a good guy with a kind heart, he is a feminist, loves animals, is basically my dream guy. We have a ton in common and typically get along well. Most of the time I would say he’s my best friend. Except there’s one thing that’s really difficult for me in our relationship. When he gets angry, it’s like he becomes an entirely different person. He is rude, sarcastic, irrational and just vicious. The kind man that I love is gone. It’s like a Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde type thing. And the problem is . . . he gets angry fairly often. Usually over something that I didn’t know would piss him off or didn’t think anything of, like asking a question.

Conflict resolution is difficult because he talks over me, yells/screams at me until I stop talking, and responds to anything I say with, “If I’m so horrible, why are you with me?” etc. (For example, if I say, “It really scares me when you yell at me,” he’ll say “Why are you with me, then?”) Or he suggests that we break up. It makes me feel like he is not actually committed to the relationship if any little everyday conflict is gonna make him threaten to break it off. It’s also difficult for me at times because I was in an emotionally abusive relationship when I was younger and experienced verbal abuse as a child that makes me very sensitive to aggression and yelling (which he is very aware of) and his behavior sometimes triggers me to have panic attacks.

It confuses me deeply because most of the time he is a genuinely likeable and nice person. When he is not in that angry mood, he typically acknowledges that his behavior sucked and apologizes. He is currently doing a self-directed anger management course and when he is in normal mode, he praises me for my kindness and patience toward him while he is trying to grow. But even with the course, about once a week he totally loses it on me, yells, uses sarcasm and contempt, gets really aggressive toward me, twists my words and talks me around in circles until I just don't know which way is up, basically does anything he can to derail what I’m saying. When all I’m doing is trying to resolve whatever conflict is happening so we can get back to being happy. It’s emotionally exhausting always being the one trying to work things out while he just wants to fight me to the death.

I don’t understand why he does not seem to respect me. He says often that I am his best friend, he wants to marry me, stuff like that. But I don’t get why he acts those ways if he genuinely loves me and wants to get married, because I feel like a couple that can’t even successfully handle tiny everyday conflicts is not ready for the difficulties of marriage. He got angry when I told him that and we were not able to discuss it.

I know everyone is gonna rush to tell me to break it off, but I am more looking for advice on how to handle these kinds of issues. I do not have experience with anger issues and it seems like many things that I do exacerbate the problem without me having awareness of what I'm doing. Also, he flat out refuses to go to therapy or couples counseling so that is not on the table. Thanks in advance for any advice and thanks for reading ☺

*tl;dr - partner of 2 years is a lovely guy with severe anger issues, I am at a loss for how to handle them *

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Is it really that easy? You simply *tell* someone that you're an appreciative feminist friend and ideal partner, so that when you actually are the exactly opposite of that it doesn't count? Wow, so simple.

Ps breaking up is NOT an option :colbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hes a feminist, so he only beats women

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants

HIJK posted:

jfc it's a casual hobby just lie and say you enjoyed it

I promise you that it is not a casual hobby for this person

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Barudak posted:

Hes a feminist, so he only beats women

it's like being a dietary humanitarian

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I [26 F] found my boyfriend [39 M] unconscious the other day. Now he doesn't remember most of our relationship of 3 months.

quote:

Oh boy, where do I start?

I've been dating a guy [39], we'll call him R, for 3 months. We met in Narcotics Anonymous. He had been sober for about 13 months and myself about 4 months. I never knew the "addict" version of him, so it was much easier to let myself get close to him, without worrying too much that he would relapse. We were dating seriously, and I was considering moving in with him at the time.

He finished a treatment program about 2 months ago, which had been going on for most of the 13 months, in an effort to get sober off alcohol, nitrous oxide, tobacco. He's been in this disease struggle for most of his life.

Well, the other day he wasn't responding to my texts, and I go to his place and find him unconscious, covered in blood, and he had been knocked out for maybe 36 hours? I think he got high, stood up too fast or something, then knocked himself silly unconscious.

Now he only remembers 1 week of our relationship. He didn't remember our first date. He doesn't remember what he thinks of my personality. He denies it, but I'm basically a stranger that he wants to get to know.

It's hard for me to reconcile that he did this--should be guilty for his actions--but how do you make someone learn from a mistake they do not remember? I don't know how to feel comfortable again that maybe he's capable of being better and not relapsing when he's struggled most of his life. I don't know how to feel that he and I could ever have the potential to get married, have kids, etc, when he's a hot mess. I mean obviously I need to prove I can stay sober, but this is my first time since I got addicted to pills at 22 so I think my plight will be easier and I have more potential to prove myself. I'm just so lost.

TL;DR my boyfriend relapsed and knocked himself unconscious, has a concussion, and doesn't remember most of our relationship. I don't know how to reconcile his lack of memory, and guiltiness for putting me through his relapse, and our future together.

Edit: he's been to the hospital and is out now, fine other then remembering none of the past 3 months; we have already handled followup appointments scheduling, etc. I need help with the relationship

I foresee a long and healthy relationship!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

50 First Doses

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

LadyPictureShow posted:

I [26 F] found my boyfriend [39 M] unconscious the other day. Now he doesn't remember most of our relationship of 3 months.

I foresee a long and healthy relationship!

He has wet brain syndrome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korsakoff%27s_syndrome

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
I guess maybe he could have passed out doing nitros, but I doubt it? She actually seems pretty honest about his situation but might be putting too much of a "drug haze" sheen on it when it's obviously alcohol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Pick posted:

Actually depressed people tend to push you away so good loving luck with those standards

Wow it’s like depressed people want impossible things from other people and passive aggressively attack them when those things don’t happen

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Pick prob train is really picking (haha) up speed as she unravels.