Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Mr Scumbag posted:

While I'd LOVE a Ubisoft game that has something powerful to say, it will never happen. The reason they have the resources to make fantastic worlds it precisely because they say nothing with them to avoid alienating any segment of people who can keep funding their team of people who can churn out fantastic worlds and have so much potential.

It's an incredibly sad commentary on corporatism on its own.

You could make a game about that, but it would have to be indie.

The closest thing they ever get is Far Cry's usual attempt at chastising the player for their violent methods.

But this never holds up because I'm playing a video game where I literally can't do anything nonviolent. You programmed a video game in which all I can do is murder bad guys who are trying to kill me, and in order to see more of the game, I have to do this. If the game is like "Oh, everything you're doing is so violent and grim, you should rethink your actions (also you literally can't rethink your actions because this is still the only path available to you)", that's not clever, it's just shining a light on flawed game design. And yet they keep doing it, like a child who shits his pants and then asks everyone what smells so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

BitBasher posted:

Not only having captured the one person who is dismantling your entire plan consistently and steadily, but having captured them NINE times only to monologue at them and for them to get away doesn't work in any medium.

You can write it off at least slightly with John Seed grooming Mister Deputy to join the family, in a basically Survival of the Fittest way, but it's still goofy as all hell, yeah.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Crappy Jack posted:

The closest thing they ever get is Far Cry's usual attempt at chastising the player for their violent methods.

But this never holds up because I'm playing a video game where I literally can't do anything nonviolent. You programmed a video game in which all I can do is murder bad guys who are trying to kill me, and in order to see more of the game, I have to do this. If the game is like "Oh, everything you're doing is so violent and grim, you should rethink your actions (also you literally can't rethink your actions because this is still the only path available to you)", that's not clever, it's just shining a light on flawed game design. And yet they keep doing it, like a child who shits his pants and then asks everyone what smells so bad.

"But you could just turn the game off!!!!"

:goonsay:

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Mr Scumbag posted:

While I'd LOVE a Ubisoft game that has something powerful to say, it will never happen. The reason they have the resources to make fantastic worlds it precisely because they say nothing with them to avoid alienating any segment of people who can keep funding their team of people who can churn out fantastic worlds and have so much potential.

It's an incredibly sad commentary on corporatism on its own.

You could make a game about that, but it would have to be indie.

I want to believe that ubi never tried to alienate their audience but I remember their e3 demonstration where they hyped up the controversial aspects of their game. They're more than willing to talk about it in marketing but too toothless to actually follow through. That's what makes it cowardly imo.

I mean, even the Toronto Sun called them out on it and they're a right wing rag by most Canadian's standards.

Red Mundus fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 3, 2018

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

"But you could just turn the game off!!!!"

:goonsay:

Ironically, the moral of Far Cry 5 and Wargames are exactly the same.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Crappy Jack posted:

Ironically, the moral of Far Cry 5 and Wargames are exactly the same.

Incidentally, you can miss this but there's a "gently caress this" ending if you wait too long to arrest Seed at the start. It's kind of stupid as a "this is the good ending" though since they're kidnapping people. If it was just preppers being crazy and causing public disturbances it would make a little more sense.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Oh, there really is a canned PR response for the ending's reception.

quote:

Update: Shortly after publication, a Ubisoft rep reached out with a correction on the ending.

“Wanted to clarify that in reality, the ending has been hiding in plain sight. Joseph Seed continually says that the end of the world is approaching. The radio news broadcasts hint of a larger problem unraveling outside of Hope County as the game unfolds, like increasing tensions and a world in chaos, stating that nuclear war seems imminent.”

Motto fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 3, 2018

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Motto posted:

Oh, there really is a canned PR response for the response to the ending.

Yeah, it's not a Bliss Dream. Ubisoft is doubling down on their lovely ending.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Motto posted:

Oh, there really is a canned PR response for the response to the ending.

Jesus loving Christ. "The bad guys were right all along! :shepface:"

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

There are a lot of things that go into it, it’s really a perfect storm of bad decisions.

The two main things are:
(1) In changing the format of the game loop to “keep things fresh”, they got rid of sequential plot-advancing story missions. They seem to have gravely underestimated how dependent their stories were on that mission structure, and how incoherent and ludicrous and jarring it would be for the entirety of their story to be told in a way that doesn’t depend on your character being in specific places at specific times, doing specific things.

Not only does that mean you’re routinely abducted out of the game while flying helicopters or skydiving through the lower atmosphere for a lecture (which is never interesting), you’re then dropped back into the game to cause further havoc despite being so pliable and vulnerable that the villains can evidently make you helpless at any time.

It’s spectacularly ironic, considering the dude to coin “ludonarrative dissonance” as a popular concept in gaming (when he called out Ken Levine and Bioshock) came out of Far Cry 2.

(2) They evidently spent 0 time sussing our what the Seeds want and what they’re doing, so the villains spout a lot of vaguely Christian word salad and doing insane things without being recognizable as anything close to real, despite there being rich histories of both dangerous cults and insane apocalyptic fringe Christian movements. Then you have the guy who doesn’t touch religion and spouts social Darwinist boilerplate instead, but the game never actually calls him a fascist.

Ubisoft wants us to know he’s a fascist, they want us to know the Seeds are dangerous fundamentalists, but they can’t be named as such, presumably because they’d get bad press. They wanted all the urgency and charge of politics without being political and they ended up with a lot of wet cardboard.

I can't read or quote any end spoilers yet since I'm not nearly done but this sounds genuinely terrible. As dumb as the Far Cry games have been, I did enjoy 3 and 4's settings and villains. It would be upsetting if they really managed to tank the entire franchise like Rookersh said. I remember reading this article with Drew Holmes and being a bit iffy with how big and separated the writing team seemed to be but I didn't think it would be this disastrous.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Noirex posted:

It would be upsetting if they really managed to tank the entire franchise like Rookersh said.

Come on.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Noirex posted:

I can't read or quote any end spoilers yet since I'm not nearly done but this sounds genuinely terrible. As dumb as the Far Cry games have been, I did enjoy 3 and 4's settings and villains. It would be upsetting if they really managed to tank the entire franchise like Rookersh said. I remember reading this article with Drew Holmes and being a bit iffy with how big and separated the writing team seemed to be but I didn't think it would be this disastrous.

Ironically, everything outside of the whole cult story works, at least for me. I like the side characters (even if most of them tend to talk way too much) and the side stories and objectives. It's just the main plot that is so loving terrible. Which makes it all the more hilarious when he's like

Drew Holmes posted:

"I subscribe to the mantra of Kill Your Darlings where, if you’re trying to hold on to something too much to the point where it’s detrimental to everything that’s happening? Then you have to do what’s best for the game itself and the story that you’re trying to tell. In the end, there are infinite possibilities in terms of where a story could go, but the end product is really the only way it could’ve been written. I think for us, looking at it, I’m really, really proud of where we wound up and I think that, as people get their hands on it, they’ve been playing through the experience, they’re responding to it in a really positive way – which is good."

Somebody described the plot of Far Cry 5 as being run by the worst GM in the world. Forced kidnappings and NPCs who override the story at every turn, followed by a conclusion that was very obviously planned from the beginning with not even the slightest thought for player engagement or motivation. This is our story, dammit, and you're going to like it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Don't worry, I'm sure the future games will just blah blah parallel universe

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
This sort of thing worked a lot better in Spec Ops by moving you actual choices at the end, that made sense based on the story and gave you different ways to resist or do the right thing. This story is hot poop and it's too bad because the intro to the game was foreboding as all hell and seemed kind of promising.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I just don’t get it, because I did that radio silence mission hours ago in the game and I haven’t heard a single one of these news broadcasts. Just music. They really did a number on that world building

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I'm 30 hours in (just killed John) and I have no god drat clue what the Seed's motivation or plot is other than "Cull the herd" and "Bliss is a drug."

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

DrNutt posted:

This sort of thing worked a lot better in Spec Ops by moving you actual choices at the end, that made sense based on the story and gave you different ways to resist or do the right thing. This story is hot poop and it's too bad because the intro to the game was foreboding as all hell and seemed kind of promising.

Didn't it force you to white phosphorus civilians?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Reviews are all over the place, and the ones which rate it very highly (gamespot) I happen to trust the least.

Game good and worth a buy? I'm a sucker for *immersion* like Skyrim and Witcher III. I played FC3 and it felt repetitive as hell to me, though.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Come on.

I mean, the ending to FC5 doesn't just ruin the players agency in FC5, but also ruins everything you did in FC3/4/Primal. None of it matters now.

After beating FC5 I said gently caress it, and decided to load up FC4, because I didn't feel any desire to coop FC5 with my friends anymore ( whats the point. ). And now I feel that same way towards FC4. Whats the point?

It's an astoundingly bad ending. It's so bad it retroactively makes the other games in the series worse.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rookersh posted:

It's an astoundingly bad ending. It's so bad it retroactively makes the other games in the series worse.

Only if you care. The plot barely matters in this game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DrNutt posted:

Except the main hook of Spec Ops relies on you mindlessly going for the mortar first with no thought put into the possibility of the player maybe not wanting to do that.
Like, the whole Spec Ops thing didn't work for me at all because my first instinct was to climb down the ladder that was next to the mortal and check out what was down there before I started shooting and the game just doesn't let you use it or even acknowledges in any way that you might want to use it.

You can't make me feel bad for something you literally forced me to do with no other option, game. :colbert:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Neurolimal posted:

Incidentally, you can miss this but there's a "gently caress this" ending if you wait too long to arrest Seed at the start. It's kind of stupid as a "this is the good ending" though since they're kidnapping people. If it was just preppers being crazy and causing public disturbances it would make a little more sense.

Far Cry 4 had this too

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Reviews are all over the place, and the ones which rate it very highly (gamespot) I happen to trust the least.

Game good and worth a buy? I'm a sucker for *immersion* like Skyrim and Witcher III. I played FC3 and it felt repetitive as hell to me, though.

It's a pretty environment to run around in, but immersion? Not in this game. You literally cannot walk 100 yards on a road without running into a new emergent task

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

Well. The best scene from far cry 3 does that quite a bit, but it’s so loving well acted and choreographed with the poo poo going on in the background that it just all works amazingly well.

https://youtu.be/rKMMCPeiQoc

it also helps that the protagonist in 3 wasn’t silent, and I don’t think 4’s was either was he?

like they weren’t mega chatty but I definitely remember kid in 3 talking when it made sense like in this clip, when somebody said something that would warrant a response, and when reuniting with his friends and poo poo. enough that it wasn’t super jarring. he definitely his own character outlined that fit the gameplay/story progression

i feel like you can have a mostly silent protagonist that lets the player read their own responses into poo poo without going full Gordon freeman. i play the deputy mostly like a stoic cowboy doom guy, punching and blowing up everything in my way. it’s a real bummer when i go from single handedly shoveling and pistoling my way through an outpost like a hillbilly John wick and all the rescued NPCs are fawning over how big my dick is only for me to get hit with a dart mid flex and suddenly I’m meekly listening to some dweeb impotently threaten me for 10 minutes

though I admit I’m always a fan of a dumb 4th wall joke about it. i enjoyed hurk’s “you sure are a good listener boba fett”

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Anyone play any cool Far Cry Arcade maps yet?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The more I hear about the plot of this game the more I think I will never be able to hold my nose through it. Guess Ill wait for Far Cry 6, 7, or maybe 8

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Only if you care. The plot barely matters in this game.

Oh, well, this hot take changes everything then. You mean the plot that literally halts my progress no less than nine times to force me to watch cutscenes of story characters delivering monologues straight to the camera? Yeah, obviously nothing worth engaging with.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Over There posted:

Anyone play any cool Far Cry Arcade maps yet?

de_dust2

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Didn't it force you to white phosphorus civilians?

It totally did, without even trying to trick you or entice you to do it in any way, 100% relying on the assumption that you'd go for the mortal first, and if you don't do that then all the emotional impact of that game just falls completely flat.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

This is not Skyrim or Fallout. This is a bigger, prettier FC3 with fishing and an annoying narrative structure.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

For Far Cry 6 the problem is not the endstate of Far Cry 5, but finding something that will interest us the players. Real america in 2018 was a interesting setup to make a game. They will have to find another interesting theme or abandon the serie.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Crappy Jack posted:

Oh, well, this hot take changes everything then. You mean the plot that literally halts my progress no less than nine times to force me to watch cutscenes of story characters delivering monologues straight to the camera? Yeah, obviously nothing worth engaging with.

How many times have I already said it's awful? Rookersh was spouting nonsense about it ruining the past and future games.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Also maybe it's just me but I found the ending took on a much more uncomfortable tone playing as a woman due to all that talk about starting a new family after the end of the world and stuff

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

It totally did, without even trying to trick you or entice you to do it in any way, 100% relying on the assumption that you'd go for the mortal first, and if you don't do that then all the emotional impact of that game just falls completely flat.

To be fair to Spec Ops, it makes more sense to have the options there be "do this horrible thing" or "turn game off" because you're playing a soldier, not some random schmuck who can just leave. You're in a foreign country being ordered to do something bad, and your options are to do thing or quit being a soldier (turn game off).

Also, it made more sense when it first came out because it didnt have this reputation as The Deep Shooter.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Sorry yeah the story in Spec Ops forces you into some poo poo throughout the game, there's no getting around that. But the ending actually presents with you with some significantly different scenarios based on your choices there, in contrast to this mess.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Rinkles posted:

How many times have I already said it's awful? Rookerish was spouting nonsense about it ruining the past and future games.

For the record, I entirely agree with them. Same reason I don't replay Dying Light after I finished the expansion, a narrative for some people can be the glue that holds a game experience together, and when that glue falls apart, so does the experience of playing. Without context, we end up with a mindless corridor shooter, which is a thing that some people enjoy and some don't. I play games to unwind and relax and engage with a fun power fantasy, and when a game thinks that subverting that is clever and edgy, it kills my desire to engage with it.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I don't really care about the plot, but I've been having the best loving time with this game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Over There posted:

I don't really care about the plot, but I've been having the best loving time with this game.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Motto posted:

Oh, there really is a canned PR response for the ending's reception.

thats loving dumb. its better to pull a "its up to the player to interpret" type deal because that at least creates fan debate and poo poo.

Jack Trades posted:

Except the main hook of Spec Ops relies on you mindlessly going for the mortar first with no thought put into the possibility of the player maybe not wanting to do that.
Like, the whole Spec Ops thing didn't work for me at all because my first instinct was to climb down the ladder that was next to the mortal and check out what was down there before I started shooting and the game just doesn't let you use it or even acknowledges in any way that you might want to use it.

You can't make me feel bad for something you literally forced me to do with no other option, game. :colbert:

i liked that game because it made you try to justify everything you did even the the mortar scene, because you could see enemies running under the bridge too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Over There posted:

Same, I pick up my phone or go grab a beer anytime a cut scene rolls around. I'm basically playing the game so I can reset all the outposts and then use the sandbox to my heart's content