Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

I read a tweet that said something to the effect of "Pranks are just a socially acceptable outlet for psychopathy" and it is absolutely true.

That's dumb. Good pranks are fun and create treasured memories :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Rubellavator posted:

One of the comments:

Apparently they're not that big of a thing overseas? Still feel like this is something that could have been settled in 5 seconds if he wasn't such a moron.

How did he jump straight to sex toy, though? I wouldn't look at one and think, "Why, that goes in the vagina" if I had never seen one. Does his wife have a tiny personal massager that looks like that?

Wait. I bet she had a bullet before they got married 7 years ago and he made her get rid of it, so the used tampon applicator sorta resembles that, as far as he remembers it, when though the tampon applicator is hollow and probably plastic.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
:10bux: says that tampon dad is Indian/Pakistani or similar.

monkeytennis fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 3, 2018

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Bored posted:

How did he jump straight to sex toy, though? I wouldn't look at one and think, "Why, that goes in the vagina" if I had never seen one. Does his wife have a tiny personal massager that looks like that?

Wait. I bet she had a bullet before they got married 7 years ago and he made her get rid of it, so the used tampon applicator sorta resembles that, as far as he remembers it, when though the tampon applicator is hollow and probably plastic.

Honestly the whole thing only makes sense if he put himself into this situation already looking for a sex toy. That's why he was snooping around her room to begin with, and that's why he saw something he didn't recognize and immediately decided it was a weird dildo thing. He was like "I'm afraid that my deviant teenaged child is into some weird sex poo poo and will look through her trash just to make sure she isn't". If you're all hyped up to find a dildo, everything is gonna look like a dildo.

It's also why, for example, when I was giving my parents a tour of my first off-campus apartment at college, my dad saw my roommate's homegrown basil and immediately assumed it was weed even though these two plants look absolutely nothing alike.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Just be like 'sure i won't use those dad' and then freebleed all over his nicest furniture. be sure to wear a skirt you can flip up so it's straight crotch-to-furniture action (assuming undies, of course).

he will learn his lesson quick

protip dad: hydrogen peroxide helps

if i'm willing to bet he's a dude who gets grossed out by stuff like this, which means he is a prime target for harassing about it

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

loquacius posted:

If you're all hyped up to find a dildo, everything is gonna look like a dildo.

this is the kind of old timey wisdom I look forward to handing down to kids when I'm like 70

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

loquacius posted:

If you're all hyped up to find a dildo, everything is gonna look like a dildo

*starts salivating while looking at shampoo bottle*

Jeza posted:

That's dumb. Good pranks are fun and create treasured memories :)

Will you marry me?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Will you marry me?

Yes! A thousand times yes!

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Jeza posted:

Yes! A thousand times yes!

gotcha :smuggo:

My [24F] sister [25F] and her bf [25M] are upset because my fiance [27M] proposed to me and have started shaming us on social media

quote:

Hi, r/relationships! This is a repost because I messed up a few of the details + I posted this in the middle of the night and didn't get much of a response.

My fiance: Charlie

My sister: Kendall

Kendall's boyfriend: Jack

BACKGROUND INFO

Charlie and I have been together for six years and have lived together for three years. We met in college. Our relationship is awesome. I love him more than anything and I know he's the one I want to spend the rest of my life with. We're best friends, we make a great team, and we're really happy together. So no problems there.

Kendall and I have always been close. We've had normal sisterly arguments and whatnot, but I love her and she's family. I don't really know Jack that well, but he seemed like a nice guy (which obviously isn't the case), and we've all gotten along until now.

Kendall and Jack have been together for two years. Their relationship is rocky; Kendall has called me countless times because of fights, breakups, and drama. I've always been her shoulder to cry on and I've supported her through everything as best I can.

She has gotten jealous of my relationship with Charlie, saying things like she wishes she could have a "perfect" relationship like ours and she wishes she could have that connection with Jack. Recently (within the last two months), she's started saying things like "I should just steal Charlie from you" and "I wish Jack was more like Charlie, I think Charlie and I would be a great match." She started flirting with Charlie (which made him super uncomfortable) and overstepped boundaries. I was uncomfortable and upset with her behavior, we had a serious talk and she broke down. She told me she was going through a rough patch with Jack and wasn't handling it well. She apologized (to me and to Charlie) and told me she knew what she did was wrong, it wouldn't happen again, etc. Charlie and I talked about it and we decided to forgive her.

At the time of the incident, Jack and Kendall were still going through a rough patch.

THE INCIDENT

Two weeks ago, Charlie invited close friends and family to dinner (this included Jack and Kendall). It was at the restaurant Charlie and I had our first date, down to the exact table we sat at. We had talked about marriage (at great length), so I had a feeling.

Lo and behold, Charlie proposed to me. It was perfect, I was so happy. I cried like a baby, lol.

Our family and friends congratulated us. Kendall seemed super excited. She gushed about how cute it was, started talking about the wedding, and hugged us both.

The only person who didn't seem happy for us was Jack. He told Kendall that he wanted to go home and they left early.

Fast forward a few days. Kendall texted me and she was pissed. She called me "a dirty traitor" and "a disgusting oval office." I was like wtf??? I asked her why she was upset. She claimed I was trying to ruin her relationship and then stopped replying to my texts.

I texted Jack and asked him wtf was going on. He told me that he was planning to propose to Kendall at dinner. At first, I felt bad because maybe he had planned something beforehand and maybe it was just a huge misunderstanding. But apparently, Jack wasn't even planning to propose to Kendall until we got to the restaurant. He saw how nice the restaurant was, our friends and family were there, and decided "hey, this is perfect." He thought it would help them out of their rough patch (which is a horrible idea because marriage doesn't magically fix relationships), but then Charlie proposed and "stole his thunder." He didn't even have a ring!

Charlie had been planning that proposal for months. He's had the ring for six months, made the reservations two months beforehand, invited all of our family and friends. Even the staff of the restaurant was in on the proposal! He put a lot of thought into it and I don't think Jack's heat of the moment decision to propose is more important than Charlie's carefully planned proposal. I'm actually upset that Jack would make something this special and important into something dramatic and all about him.

I didn't apologize. Charlie and I talked about it, he agrees and doesn't think we should apologize.

THE AFTERMATH

Since then, Kendall and Jack haven't talked to us. Which is fine by itself, but that's not the end of it. Both of them have been shaming us on social media, twisting the story to make themselves look like victims, and have even coined us "The Proposal Thieves."

Mutual friends (and even some family!) are disgusted with us. They believe Jack and Kendall's story, even after I've tried to explain what really happened. As funny as it is to be called The Proposal Thieves, it's not so funny to have friends and family turned against you. I'm really upset that my own sister would do this.

Charlie has been super supportive and sweet through this mess. We both agree that we shouldn't apologize and have been standing our ground.

Honestly, after everything Kendall has done, I'm pretty much fed up with her. She's my sister and I love her, but after she tried to seduce my boyfriend and now this, I don't really have a desire to talk to her anymore. Which sucks, because we've always been close. I think Jack has turned her into this horrible, self-absorbed person and it's just.. ugh.

Btw, I'm not talking to Kendall right now and have no plans to talk to her until we receive a sincere apology. Even then, I think I might limit contact if she stays with Jack.

What do you think, Reddit? What should we do? How should we handle this? Advice/perspective/anything???

EDIT: Thank you for all of the advice! I will definitely post an update after we make our post explaining the situation. I really, really appreciate all of the help and support. It means a lot! :) I can't wait to see what a mess actually planning the wedding will be, lmao. See you guys in a week or two!

EDIT #2: JUST TO CLARIFY! The people who believe Jack and Kendall's story are the ones who were not at the proposal dinner! A large amount of mutual friends who weren't there + extended family believe the story. Our parents, Charlie's siblings, and the few close friends that were actually at the dinner do not believe the bullshit story. We just haven't made a post addressing everything/telling our side of the story because we wanted advice on how to approach it (which is why I posted here).

TL;DR: Sister and bf are upset that we "upstaged them." Spreading lies on social media. Everything is a mess, please help?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I have every bit of this fraudulent story written in text logs complete with utterly damning information but I refuse to release it to the wider public because [error: file not found]

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Burn social media to the ground. It must die.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Pick posted:

I'm not saying she wasn't also wrong, but again, he was a super dick about this guy dying, who sounds like he was a better dude than he is, and then got all "well I have the RIGHT to be an rear end in a top hat because she liked this guy more than me". And it's like, yeah, no wonder!

And again, she "emotionally cheated", i.e. flirted. If you read through it, it's not really ok but it doesn't sound like it was so bad that he's allowed to bash her for half a decade. If he can't get over it they should have been broken up already.

Controversial opinion - he doesn’t owe sympathy to her or the guy she cheated with. I don’t think it would’ve mattered how he reacted, she’d likely still get mad because he didn’t react “appropriately” in her opinion. Honestly they should’ve broken up after the emotional affair and saved each other the headache.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I don't climb buildings or do any parkoury poo poo but creepos who start publicly masturbating online when someone dies make my skin crawl

Hey now it was emotional masturbation, totally different from real jerkin’, so like, it doesn’t count

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 3, 2018

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

gotcha :smuggo:

My [24F] sister [25F] and her bf [25M] are upset because my fiance [27M] proposed to me and have started shaming us on social media

i know what will fix my floundering relationship: a common enemy!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Maybe I'm a horrible person but I honestly wouldn't blame the bf for being kinda darkly pleased that emotional affair guy died

Or at least taking a moment of sick satisfaction from it

I'd definitely hate that guy

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Why are you all literally so socially regarded, like the real definition of retard

You can feel happy when anyone dies, it’s fine! But you don’t drop a fast dump on them in the presence of someone else who does mourn them, if the living person is someone you care about

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Maybe I'm a horrible person but I honestly wouldn't blame the bf for being kinda darkly pleased that emotional affair guy died

Or at least taking a moment of sick satisfaction from it

I'd definitely hate that guy

heh, you fell for him and he fell for thirty secon-oh poo poo sorry about your other bf, babe. :(

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

My friend [27F] believes her father died in an accident. I [30M] recently found out he committed suicide. She's grieving the loss of her mother right now. When is the right time to tell her?

quote:

The title pretty much says it all. My friend's dad died about five years ago. Her mother passed away at the end of last year and I've been helping her sort through a lot of documents. As part of that process I stumbled across her father's death certificate which lists the manner of death as suicide instead of accidental. I only met her after her shortly after her father's death but she always referred to it as an accident.

She is VERY much the kind of person who values honesty and knowing the truth, so there is no doubt in my mind I should tell her. But there is almost no way that right now is the right time to handle this information. She is really struggling with her mental health and her therapy and that's a large part of why I've been recruited to help sort through things.

I suck at withholding information anyway and I'm terrible at lying so I'm worried this is going to blow up in my face. She would likely be upset if she finds out that I knew and didn't tell her, and I'm OK with taking on her disappointment, but I don't know if it would just make things worse. There is no good answer here, either I hurt her with this information now or I hurt her by giving it to her later and revealing I've been holding onto it in secret.

And if holding onto it is the right thing to do for now, how can you tell when someone is ready for that kind of information?

TL;DR: In the aftermath of her mother's death, I found out my friend's father died by suicide instead of accident. She's still heartbroken from her mom dying. Don't know when is appropriate to tell her.

quote:

I can try my best to pretend like I never saw it but I know what her values are and I know that she would be really disappointed if I did that and she found out.

quote:

There's a good chance she actually knows how he died and refers to it as an accident either because she doesn't want to tell people or because that's what she wants to believe.
Normally this is what I would believe but she is very much not the kind of person to lie about anything, especially personal tragedy and mental health. It is very incongruent with her character to lie about her father's cause of death. She was not present for his death and my best guess is that her mother lied to her about precisely what happened.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I hated my dad’s mom but the first response to hearing she died wasn’t to go up to my dad and say “good riddance to the unfunny Lucille bluth *hellfire sounds*”

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I didn't say anything about that, calm down Pick drat. I think he acted like an rear end in a top hat, too. I'm just saying, I'd def go out for a celebratory drink that night. gently caress that guy.

When my rear end in a top hat grandpa died I still helped my dad through the funeral. I even read a passage, the whole while thinking 'dude knows so few people who give a poo poo, at his funeral his granddaughter who hates him is insincerely reading Bible poo poo he hated.'

it was Perfect. One day I'll return to pee on his grave, when Dad's not around. RIP covered in pee, you old sunnuva bitch.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 3, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doggles posted:

My friend [27F] believes her father died in an accident. I [30M] recently found out he committed suicide. She's grieving the loss of her mother right now. When is the right time to tell her?

Normally this is what I would believe but she is very much not the kind of person to lie about anything, especially personal tragedy and mental health. It is very incongruent with her character to lie about her father's cause of death. She was not present for his death and my best guess is that her mother lied to her about precisely what happened.
[/quote]

Critical autism detected, warning warning

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

quote:

. Our parents, Charlie's siblings, and the few close friends that were actually at the dinner do not believe the bullshit story.

That seems like a problem that will naturally peter out then, unless you do something silly like have a public feud.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Controversial opinion - he doesn’t owe sympathy to her or the guy she cheated with. I don’t think it would’ve mattered how he reacted, she’d likely still get mad because he didn’t react “appropriately” in her opinion. Honestly they should’ve broken up after the emotional affair and saved each other the headache.

That's only controversial to the resident crazy-persons.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
His response probably wasn't the greatest socially speaking, but, neither was hers

It's been said already: if you are sad that the guy you're in love with who isn't your boyfriend fell off a building, maybe the one to go to for comfort isn't your actual boyfriend

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

quote:

She is VERY much the kind of person who values honesty and knowing the truth, so there is no doubt in my mind I should tell her. But there is almost no way that right now is the right time to handle this information. She is really struggling with her mental health and her therapy and that's a large part of why I've been recruited to help sort through things.

Everyone says they value honesty and knowing the truth until they find out poo poo they don't want to know but yes, you should tell a mentally unstable person their father killed himself.

I actually found out years after my dad's "heart attack in his sleep" that it was actually due to thirty years of being on certain medications. My mom lied because guess who also takes similar medications: me. I only found out because I straight up called my mom out on her inconsistent story and asked if it was a suicide or not and she cracked and told the truth for the first time in my life.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Doggles posted:

It's galaxy brain to know you shouldn't tell her but to also know that you are a jackass who will say it while fighting with her if you don't. That's why I'd just tell her immediately and let the timing be awkward instead of nuclear-friendship-terminatingly bad.

heh, you fell for him and he fell for thirty secon-oh poo poo sorry about your other bf, babe. :(
This response is good. His actual response was entitled jackassery. Not that her actions are any better, but he set the stage by tolerating her other boyfriend to begin with and by still being butthurt about it years later.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 3, 2018

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

loquacius posted:

His response probably wasn't the greatest socially speaking, but, neither was hers

It's been said already: if you are sad that the guy you're in love with who isn't your boyfriend fell off a building, maybe the one to go to for comfort isn't your actual boyfriend

Yeah she's an rear end in a top hat too, they're both assholes for different reasons.

Honestly I do think some of our beliefs about how to treat people who mourn are heavily coached in culture and religion and we might expect too much from everyone involved (those mourning and those comforting)

But I still live into it bc death is tough and rarely do we function correctly when it happens, so ritual can bring comfort to those feeling unstable

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Pick posted:

Why are you all literally so socially regarded, like the real definition of retard

You can feel happy when anyone dies, it’s fine! But you don’t drop a fast dump on them in the presence of someone else who does mourn them, if the living person is someone you care about

You're really over-stating how insulting he was. People being sympathetic is not context-agnostic. If your SO runs up to you in tears and when asked why they say they're sad about [somebody you hate dying], normal people are not going to be able to fake on the spot about how terrible that is and how sorry they are that that happened.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

quote:

I suck at withholding information anyway and I'm terrible at lying

Look who's trying to preemptively deny all responsibilty for doing what she wants to do anyway.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

Look who's trying to preemptively deny all responsibilty for doing what she wants to do anyway.

Her update will be along the lines of “Do you really think id post this to reddit if you had any chance of convincing me? No, I told them 35 minutes ago”

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I’m kind of in awe that Jack’s “yeah babe I was totally gonna propose tonight but they beat me to it!” bullshit worked. How goddamn dumb is the sister?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

I’m kind of in awe that Jack’s “yeah babe I was totally gonna propose tonight but they beat me to it!” bullshit worked. How goddamn dumb is the sister?

Dumb enough to think getting married will fix her relationship problems

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Jeza posted:

You're really over-stating how insulting he was. People being sympathetic is not context-agnostic. If your SO runs up to you in tears and when asked why they say they're sad about [somebody you hate dying], normal people are not going to be able to fake on the spot about how terrible that is and how sorry they are that that happened.

Somebody he hates, specifically because his girlfriend very obviously was still in love with the guy and deeply emotionally invested in his life.

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i know what will fix my floundering relationship: a common enemy!

I can see it working a lot better than a proposal, or a baby

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Clark Nova posted:

She already tried to steal her own sister's boyfriend, so either pretty dim or complete white trash

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Dude BF’s response was hardcore bad, what loving planet :psyduck:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Being a disaffected edgelord is appropriate on the Internet ONLY

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
I can't believe your lack of emotional support at this time, when the man I really loved fell off Hell In A Cell and plummeted 16 ft through an announcer’s table

For real they should've just broken up after the initial transgression but it's pretty fuckin' hilarious to expect some grand outpouring of sympathy over the entirely avoidable death of a guy you two-timed with and continued to hold a torch for. Dump her rear end, for crying out loud

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

like making it family and for a reason half the rest of your family is excruciatingly aware is dumb as hell seems like a chump move but I can't think of much more romantic than getting down on one knee and going "Baby, let's destroy Aquaman... together"

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

Dude BF’s response was hardcore bad, what loving planet :psyduck:

You're going to have an aneurysm when you find out we think he doesn't have to go to his funeral, either

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah he can’t take it and they should already have been broken up

But man if anyone ever expects me to not be sad when Hugh dies choking on a bottle cap or 6-pack ring you are in for a weepy surprise!! :argh:

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
I sent the navy seal copypasta to a customer service rep while I was at school, and they sent my IP to my school. Am I hosed?(self.legaladvice)

quote:

So yeah I was bored during study hall so I started a chat with some Strayer University rep. I sent them the navy seal copypasta, and they said "I can see that you are chatting with us from [school district] and will be sending the IP address to the district to investigate.

I'm in Virginia. How badly did I gently caress up? And what can I do to mitigate the damage? I told them afterward it was a joke and sent a link to the knowyourmeme page for it, and they said "Threatening someone's life is no joke".

Edit: Okay I talked to an administrator, an IT guy, and one of the police officers stationed at my school.

The IT guy said it'd be pretty easy to trace back to me, so if the report comes to my school, they'll probably know it was me.

The administrator said that he's not in charge of discipline, so he doesn't have jurisdiction over this, but that if he did, all he'd do is arrange a talk about acceptable use of technology between me and school administrators, since I don't have any previous disciplinary infractions. The absolute worst penalty would be expulsion and the worst feasible penalty would be suspension, but he said because I don't actually pose a danger to my school, it would likely be nothing more than a warning.

The officer said that since it's not threatening the school, it's not his job to deal with it, but it could be viewed as disorderly conduct if it caused fear in the customer service rep, which is jailable. However he also said that because that wasn't my intention, it shouldn't be a big deal.

The administrator and the officer both said that if the school administration comes after me, to tell them that I talked to them and that they would help me clarify the situation and hopefully make sure nothing happens.

:spergin:

Pick posted:

Being a disaffected edgelord is appropriate on the Internet ONLY

then stop probating me for it :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Pick posted:

She's morning him because he was the relationship she was too scared to drop her boyfriend for. That feels like relevant context for me. Not saying his comment wasn't out line but in the grand scheme of what happened it was the least bad thing in that story. Dude should dump her, particularly after the grand reveal that their affair was even deeper than originally thought and that she had been lying about still being in contact with him.