Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Chin Strap posted:

Kind of a roguelite card game Card Quest is also out on mobile (I know at least android, not sure about iphone) and so far for me it has been rock solid steady. It is a hard game, but if you like the thought of card game dungeon crawler but without any deck drafting aspects then you should give it a try.

PMush Perfect posted:

At $5, I went ahead and bought Card Quest. Seems like it'll be at least interesting.

this looks like it could be a lot of fun, but is it difficult to read everything on the screen? if not i am going to pick it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

TOME deaths for me tend to fall into two categories: Die before/in Dreadfell, Die to the final boss(es). The final boss is some serious trouble for me. I coasted the whole game as a Temporal Warden then suddenly these two shut me down in like two turns.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Parachute posted:

this looks like it could be a lot of fun, but is it difficult to read everything on the screen? if not i am going to pick it up

Long press on the cards zooms them in. I haven't had trouble.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Klaus Kinski posted:

It's rare nowadays, but the floor bosses in the final dungeon can still spawn with hilariously bullshit skill combos.

I still remember when I played summoner (very boring, do not recommend), and got stuck in an endless battle of attrition between my summons and one of the floor boss' summons. It was just impossible to make progress, and he was a lich or something with a dozen passive skills running, including resurrection on death. Thankfully when he finally died it did turn off all his passives and make him much easier to finish off the second time.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I will say that Card Quest is very different from Dream Quest or Slay the Spire. Not only is there no real deckbuilding (just different loadouts to unlock), the game is more puzzle like. It is about doing chains of abilities to maximize your turns efficiency. Every class plays very different.

If you are looking to see if you like it or not, try out some of the tutorial rounds for each character and see what you think. Note that some of the later rounds of these can even be a little tricky but they really teach you how to play the classes.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Captain Foo posted:

just watched that video of madjackmcmad's Escape From Aeon stream and wanted to say cool stream presence and nifty looking game; i much prefer reading about dev and play of RLs than actually playing them. shotgun op as fucc

Hey thanks! Made us kinda anxious to see the pre-alpha-as-fucc thing up and streaming for an hour+, but Jim seemed to like it. I'll crosspost from the Making Games thread:

Angryhead and I were so pumped to have Jim of Tangledeep and Dungeonmans fame stream an alpha build of our roguelike, Escape from Aeon, this past Friday. Peep it (gameplay around 31m):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OePqe7pfc1k

Keep tabs on the project here:
// InstagramTumblrTwitterYoutube

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

spider wisdom posted:

Hey thanks! Made us kinda anxious to see the pre-alpha-as-fucc thing up and streaming for an hour+, but Jim seemed to like it. I'll crosspost from the Making Games thread:

Angryhead and I were so pumped to have Jim of Tangledeep and Dungeonmans fame stream an alpha build of our roguelike, Escape from Aeon, this past Friday. Peep it (gameplay around 31m):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OePqe7pfc1k

Keep tabs on the project here:
// InstagramTumblrTwitterYoutube

yeah one thing that jumped out at me was the health bar on the character: i know that it's there because many people die from forgetting to look at the stat bar, but it also makes your character look like he's got a staff at all times. All in all extremely cool for how WIP your project is. the aesthetics are great.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Captain Foo posted:

yeah one thing that jumped out at me was the health bar on the character: i know that it's there because many people die from forgetting to look at the stat bar, but it also makes your character look like he's got a staff at all times. All in all extremely cool for how WIP your project is. the aesthetics are great.

Good point — on my list is to implement HP bar fadeout once you're not in combat (or at least reminding Angryhead to put it in, since I just make the pretty things). But thanks a bunch! We're chipping away at it, slowly but surely.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
So I've been playing Dungeon Hack a bit after getting it from the recent GOG sale. Has anyone else played it? What did you think of it?

It's... Pretty rough. I like the that they've worked in the 2nd edition D&D rules but it really doesn't work very well in the roguelike context. Seems like clerics are the way to go.

Are there any other 1st person Eye of the Beholder type roguelikes? I like that part of Dungeon Hack.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

General Emergency posted:

So I've been playing Dungeon Hack a bit after getting it from the recent GOG sale. Has anyone else played it? What did you think of it?

It's... Pretty rough. I like the that they've worked in the 2nd edition D&D rules but it really doesn't work very well in the roguelike context. Seems like clerics are the way to go.

Are there any other 1st person Eye of the Beholder type roguelikes? I like that part of Dungeon Hack.

Dungeon Hack has a billion options to tune dungeon generation for a reason. You can turn off a lot of the Gygaxian bullshit if you want to play a class that can't handle it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
How good of a game is it outside of the dungeon gen issues? It seems cool but I'm always dubious about that kind of nerd bait.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I've been playing some Escape from Aeon and it's great despite the early stage of development. Looking forward to more!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Also, been playing more Card Quest, and I agree it feels a bit more like a puzzle game than a roguelike. But, it also scratches that same itch as looking through your inventory trying to figure out how to use what you have to survive in a desperate situation.

Also reminds me of that one F2P browser game, the tactical one where your gear gave you cards and the premium currency was pizza. Anybody else remember that?

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

PMush Perfect posted:

Also, been playing more Card Quest, and I agree it feels a bit more like a puzzle game than a roguelike. But, it also scratches that same itch as looking through your inventory trying to figure out how to use what you have to survive in a desperate situation.

Also reminds me of that one F2P browser game, the tactical one where your gear gave you cards and the premium currency was pizza. Anybody else remember that?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/293260/Card_Hunter/

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah Dungeon Hack is pretty cool. I think it is the only DM/EoB style roguelike. I know there have been a couple bouncing around but I don't think they ever emerged from early access struggles. There was a kickstarter for one but the guy was generating entire elaborate worlds rather than just dungeons and I don't think he ever crawled out of that pit.

I created one on a whim but never got around to filling it with content before I evolved it into something else (like all of my game dev efforts).

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Just wanted to poke my head in and thank the Dev of Tangledeep. I'm really enjoying myself a great deal- finding the combat to be really tactical and fun, and loving the overworld stuff too. Thanks for the awesome game!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

I have loved it to pieces forever, and I really think it is pretty drat eligible for a reboot. Also, dwarven fighter/cleric FTW.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I just went to gog and the search is claiming there is no results for dungeon hack and I'm really curious about what game you are playing.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

rodbeard posted:

I just went to gog and the search is claiming there is no results for dungeon hack and I'm really curious about what game you are playing.

It's Dungeon Hack, from Forgotten Realms: The Archives - Collection Three.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Been nearly 10 years, so of course the obvious thing to pop up is a meaty update to Hellband to v0.8.8~

http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=8876

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Forgive me if this has been posted already, but Kyzrati, the maker of cogmind, made a really fun 7DRL recently called Polybot 7:

https://kyzrati.itch.io/polybot-7

It's a stripped down cogmind (no plot, npcs, or world building), focused entirely on combat. Unlike cogmind, your bot here is a giant magnet when it comes to parts and you can't unequip what sticks to you (except once every certain number of turns you can blow all your parts off). Another feature is that the tiles are quite large, which is one of the few common complaints about cogmind.

The game is free (though you can tip K, which you should), and you should check it out!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/Enichan/status/981975010578456576

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

God, Card Quest has been kicking my rear end. Got a little better once I started besting the first level in each zone instead of just bashing my head against the same one, since then you get some trinkets and equipment that lets you specialize your build. Still, though, I've yet to beat a second boss. Anyone got any tips?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

This sounds pretty cool, anyone played it?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I saw that Scavenger SV-4 had gotten some updates and decided to fire it up again. I don't know if it's one of the new ruin types, but I found some sort of towering, ruined alien city that vaguely resembled Oz and poked around in it; while there, I discovered historical records of the collapse of alien civilization worth a staggering amount of money.

I also discovered some sort of anomalous tech that caused me to start going very, very insane, very, very fast, and decided, "you know what? gently caress this. I just dug up the loving Rosetta Stone, I don't have to deal with this bullshit" and threw it out the loving airlock.

The game gave me a score bonus and a little blurb about my wise decision in doing so :shobon:

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Neurolimal posted:

This sounds pretty cool, anyone played it?

It's pretty decent. I feel like it could use more flexibility in character builds and it's got some unevenness to it but for nine bucks I'd say it's worth it.

e: To clarify on flexibility, you can "equip" up to two monsters' skillsets at once: either your current body and one you've maxed level on, or two you've maxed if you're in your natural body. There are a bunch of monsters that have one weird skill that seems like it'd be fun to play with, but since you can't mix and match they also almost never feel worth it. In general you'll get a sense of a few combinations that work well in a given level range and stick to those until you get to the next "tier" of bodies. Equipment can change up playstyle a lot, so that is another source of build variance.

Benly fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 6, 2018

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Card Quest advice is tricky since a class is totally different with a bunch of stuff unlocked vs. the crappy starting + tutorial equipment. I would recommend replacing your starting hand if you have Concentration and Inner focus. Ditto if more than half are pure defense cards. This isn't the tutorial, losing some health is okay as long as you beat a new boss. You can worry about beating the whole map on a different run.

Think about how to get the most replacement cards out of what you already have in your hand, like the tutorials taught you. If you have a card set that is good at churning cards and plenty of stamina discard some defensive cards, especially after the first turn. A dead/confused/stunned enemy is well worth a little risk. Different areas are more or less likely to feature ambushes.

Hopefully this advice isn't counterproductive with rusty swords and bent bows. Any particular class you want advice on?

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I kind of hated MidBoss to be honest. It throws tons of gear at your limited inventory. Consumables were a pain to use, the stats felt unintuitive and I still have no idea why I would want one over the others and it made smash up every single crate and bookshelf, of which there were tons of, for gear and... Fishes?

Some of this got improved in some QoL patch later on.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

God, Card Quest has been kicking my rear end. Got a little better once I started besting the first level in each zone instead of just bashing my head against the same one, since then you get some trinkets and equipment that lets you specialize your build. Still, though, I've yet to beat a second boss. Anyone got any tips?
As you've probably found out, there are some items that are flat-out better than other ones, and depending on your class/gear some areas may be either very easy or very difficult.

Vague advice for each class:
Rogue: Swashbuckler school is much better than Street school. Assassin school is even better IMO, partly because you start every combat hidden, which it doesn't bother telling you. Bag of Tricks is my favourite defensive item despite it not having any actual blocks.
Fighter: Berserker school can be a bit tricky to use but can put out a lot of damage. Paladin school (especially with the Holy Sword etc.) makes you pretty much invincible but it often takes a lot of turns to win fights so it can be a bit boring.
Wizard: Pyromancy lets you blow the poo poo out of enemies, but going full pyromancy (book and scroll) will just get you overheated and dead. Try a Necromancy scroll as the defence option.
Hunter: This class feels like garbage at the start because its starting weapon and school are really bad. Once you get a decent bow (I like the Demon Bow or Arcane Crossbow) and the sniper school things improve.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Angry Diplomat posted:

I saw that Scavenger SV-4 had gotten some updates and decided to fire it up again. I don't know if it's one of the new ruin types, but I found some sort of towering, ruined alien city that vaguely resembled Oz and poked around in it; while there, I discovered historical records of the collapse of alien civilization worth a staggering amount of money.

I also discovered some sort of anomalous tech that caused me to start going very, very insane, very, very fast, and decided, "you know what? gently caress this. I just dug up the loving Rosetta Stone, I don't have to deal with this bullshit" and threw it out the loving airlock.

The game gave me a score bonus and a little blurb about my wise decision in doing so :shobon:

Honestly he should just quietly push little changes to the game as he continues to earn money from it. I've stopped playing the game now, but its so goddamn unique and i wish there was more of it.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
MidBoss is good stuff---solid at launch, more yet still after all the QoL updates got settled in. There's very nearly nothing else that plays quite like it, and dev for it was quite a high effort slog as something of a price to pay for the uniqueness factor on top of the super small(semi-solo) team behind it, so I'd recommend it to pretty much anybody up for poking around at relatively unexplored margins.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Just started Invisible Inc. any tips?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Artificer posted:

Internationale for life. Go slow, think long and hard, peek through doors when they're closed and again when they're open, and don't be stingy, spend that 1 AP to predict guard movements. There are very few surprises in this game, it gives you all the information you need to succeed and then watches you hang yourself anyway.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Artificer posted:

They say your secondary goal is collecting money, but it's actually the primary goal because that will enable you to complete your later missions.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Also, there's metaprogression, so getting completely stomped is very normal.

There's a beforeiplay entry, which should help.

Edit: drat, that page needs some cleaning up. I'll do that later if I remember.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 6, 2018

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Speaking of Scavenger SV-4, I have a less-spoilery question than might be normal: How do I open things without shooting at them? I've played like 20 games of varying success and have yet to find anything resembling a key. All my treasure gets shot to hell because I get impatient what with all the horrible radiation so every wonderful science exploration adventure where I'm supposed to be extracting priceless alien artifacts with utmost care just devolves into :tbear:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

PMush Perfect posted:

Also, there's metaprogression, so getting completely stomped is very normal.

There's a beforeiplay entry, which should help.

Edit: drat, that page needs some cleaning up. I'll do that later if I remember.

Items with ammo don't reload? What the gently caress? Aww man I bought this sleep dart rifle already...

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Desumaytah posted:

Speaking of Scavenger SV-4, I have a less-spoilery question than might be normal: How do I open things without shooting at them? I've played like 20 games of varying success and have yet to find anything resembling a key. All my treasure gets shot to hell because I get impatient what with all the horrible radiation so every wonderful science exploration adventure where I'm supposed to be extracting priceless alien artifacts with utmost care just devolves into :tbear:

I'm pretty sure you just open doors by shooting them; I've never found anything resembling a key. I even tried getting clever with IFF beacons and radio ping nonsense, but it seems like you just have to blast open doors.

It seems like sometimes the stuff inside buildings is damaged regardless of what you do, but I've taken to firing at the top or edge of each door (instead of dead centre) in case there's some sort of blast effect happening when the door is hit, and I get plenty of unscathed artifacts that way.

e: although at any rate, it's inevitably going to turn into a bit of a smash-and-grab simulator if you're trying to race against radiation poisoning. There's a degree of inevitable attrition no matter how much time you spend in the autodoc, and I've come to believe that it's better to rush and miss out on a few things than it is to take your time, end up with more artifacts than you can carry anyway, and go home half-dead because you're mostly cancer.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 7, 2018

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

PMush Perfect posted:

You're thinking of Card Hunter, which also got a Steam release. I played it a bit, there's a really neat basis for a game there but according to the reviews it gets to the point where you have to start paying money to have a chance at beating levels. If they made a non free to play version I'd probably pick it up. Although Card Quest is probably just straight up better anyway from what I've heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I did some more testing and it seems like a) missing the door and hitting the building pretty consistently fucks up the goodies inside, and b) the more powerful your doorbuster is, the more it fucks up the goodies inside regardless. Use a low-damage weapon to gently plink the door open if you're willing to endure the extra rads.