Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Jamesman posted:

The short of it is that;

-Mike Ellis sexually harassed several men and women, groomed young fans for sex, and was just generally unprofessional and creepy. Got fired but no complaints were ever actually addressed.

-Mike Michaud is in control of everything but doesn't actually do any work, ignores comments and complaints, repeatedly verbally abuses producers.

-Doug Walker doesn't know how to do anything and doesn't consider the needs of others or values their contributions.

Basically Channel Awesome is an absolute poo poo environment to be a part of unless you're Doug or Michaud.

I know, I just had to make sure Brad Jones wasn't a poo poo too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
It sounds like it was terribly managed and run by incompetent people, but I don't know what there is to "quit" since apparently it was a voluntary contribution thing. They didn't share revenue or provide a video hosting platform, as far as I understand, it was a way for other people to uhhh y'know... piggyback off Nostalgia Critic? I guess? Not saying it excuses what the management did, I just don't really understand why endure in that environment silently when they have almost no leverage over you.

I liked the part about checking if the whitehouse.gov webpage designers would do their site.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
A bunch of young-ish people wanting to work together and create a fun community, clinging to those ideas while people treat them like poo poo and make them disillusioned. It's not hard to understand why people would keep being a part of this until they eventually hit a breaking point. They even admit as such; that they let things go on longer than they should have, that they kept hoping things would improve, etc. It just ended up taking its toll on a bunch of people who realized they were being exploited and abused.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

judge reinhold posted:

It sounds like it was terribly managed and run by incompetent people, but I don't know what there is to "quit" since apparently it was a voluntary contribution thing. They didn't share revenue or provide a video hosting platform, as far as I understand, it was a way for other people to uhhh y'know... piggyback off Nostalgia Critic? I guess? Not saying it excuses what the management did, I just don't really understand why endure in that environment silently when they have almost no leverage over you.

I liked the part about checking if the whitehouse.gov webpage designers would do their site.

It was a "voluntary contribution" in the same way anything in our lovely gig economy is "voluntary", which is say only in the most pointlessly narrow legal definition that ignores how "continue to suffer harassment and abuse by management" and "give up on your income" is a bullshit choice people shouldn't have to face. As the document says, many of them were brought onboard with promises of revenue sharing in addition to that old standby "exposure"; when those promises were inevitably proved to be worthless, management's behavior went down the whole gamut of abuse to keep their totally voluntary non-employees in line - threats, harassment, isolation, intentional miscommunication, apparently outright blackballing in one case. People who made any stuttering step towards trying to find another income line - trying to run additional ads on their videos, or starting up Patreons when that became a thing, or even being in the same room as one of their "competitors"- received the brunt of the harassment and punitive actions, with threats made to others to stay in line or suffer the same fate.

The fact that none of these people had union protections, and only a few had any form of contract protections, is absolutely a problem. But it's not a problem with the people who were harassed and abused because they thought the people they were dealing with would act like decent goddamn human beings, when obviously they were all lying and it's their own fault for falling for it, right? It's a problem with the people in charge who gave zero shits about anyone other than themselves, and who abused literal teenagers, both professionally and apparently personally.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
More DSP hijinx, now courtesy of a former fan who anonymously gave his $50 Patreon private Q&A video to a detractor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5mnOCNF7Zw

quote:

This video was sent to me anonymously. Looks to be around from August 2017. Phil bashes ReviewtechUSA at length showing absolutely 0 self awareness, talks about his plans if YouTube or Twitch were to fall through.

Chaos Personified
Oct 9, 2012

judge reinhold posted:

On the other hand, even though they didn't hire anyone, they seem more than able to fire anyone they don't like. Them providing or withholding severance pay also kinda throws a wrench into the idea that they don't employ these creators.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Two minutes in and I can't finish this. Phil, you've described yourself. Literally. Just because you upload 10 or so videos a day, doesn't make you any different.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!

Chaos Personified posted:

On the other hand, even though they didn't hire anyone, they seem more than able to fire anyone they don't like. Them providing or withholding severance pay also kinda throws a wrench into the idea that they don't employ these creators.

The person they hired and withheld severance pay from (Holly Brown) was not a video producer. She was HR or something.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I wonder where Mike Ellis is now

also wow
DSP gets rather vulgar even for him
this is him when he has nothing to hold back with his anger

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

bman in 2288 posted:

Two minutes in and I can't finish this. Phil, you've described yourself. Literally. Just because you upload 10 or so videos a day, doesn't make you any different.

well, here's some bulletpoints, besides the lack of self-awareness he has while making GBS threads on ReviewtechUSA:

- spent 120,000~ dollars on his original condo back in CT in 2009
- as of August 2017, he still has 105,000 dollars left on the mortgage
- said condo has now dropped to 60,000 dollars in value
- has 80,000 dollars in equity on his current house
- buys lottery tickets every week
- has NO backup plan at all for income(besides hoping he wins the lottery)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

He could win the lottery and he'd probably poo poo it all away on something idiotic, then blame everyone for not telling him, despite everyone telling him.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Yardbomb posted:

He could win the lottery and he'd probably poo poo it all away on something idiotic, then blame everyone for not telling him, despite everyone telling him.

"WuuuuuuuUUUUT?! You gotta keep the ticket?! COME OOOOOOON! NOBODY SAID YOU NEEDED THE TICKET! I paid for it, isn't that enough?"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So hey, this youtube channel:

Just fraudulently put copyright claims on about 40 of my youtube videos.

(This is only a handful of them)

How do I tell them to gently caress off?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just an update, there's actually two channels involved, the one above and one that's just called "Mike". It appears to be a copyright claiming bot going haywire and throwing claims at anything similar. Is there any way to report this behavior so that it leaves me the hell alone?

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CJacobs posted:

Just an update, there's actually two channels involved, the one above and one that's just called "Mike". It appears to be a copyright claiming bot going haywire and throwing claims at anything similar. Is there any way to report this behavior so that it leaves me the hell alone?

Actually AdRevEnt just popped one on an old stream of SMB3 I did. I guess just submit a YouTube help request. haha.

Seriously, I have no idea. Doesn't affect me since I don't monetize any of my stuff, but. Whatever I guess, looks like AdRevEnt is going to make a few cents off mine as well.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thanks to JamieTheD I have found the page to report them for scam/fraud and even if you don't care about monetizing your videos you should do the same.

Xboxshqip
"Mike"

Same goes for anyone else here who may have been hit. Select 'spam and scams' and then 'scam/fraud' and put in the channel link. Put a blurb in the very bottom 'additional notes' box about how they're throwing out fraudulent copyright claims for 'matched visual content'.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

CJacobs posted:

So hey, this youtube channel:

Just fraudulently put copyright claims on about 40 of my youtube videos.

(This is only a handful of them)

How do I tell them to gently caress off?

Would this work?

CJacobs posted:

gently caress off

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
it's bubsy, trying to make sure your only videos are about him

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
That’s quite a find. Can we organize reports of channels like this? Goodness knows there’s a lot of them, it would be nice to drop in like 15-20 reports of these abusers rather than onesy twosey this.

Thinking a channel on the Discord would be great for the moderation team to post known abuser channels.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For the record, they're still at it.

The claims are now being doubled for different "segments" of each video. Different timestamps, same claimants, same claims.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Judging by the overwhelming majority of the claims, this guy joined a mcn that decided he had sole ownership rights to all Max Payne 3 content everywhere.

So I REALLY REALLY hope that bot was dumb enough to start claiming Rockstar's poo poo as well.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Well that's that I guess. They're slowly being released one by one so I guess AdRev received the support email I sent them. Boy is it stupid that this even happened though.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Oh yea I got a bunch of those too for 50 cent blood on the sand, from Xboxshqip. Thanks! I reported him to YouTube too.

judge reinhold fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 6, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Man, upon reviewing the handful of claims I've gotten over my time on Youtube a lot of them don't even have claimants on there, they're just 'durp, a third party did this,' even though it's on junk like the original music for Dishonored 1.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Coolguye posted:

Man, upon reviewing the handful of claims I've gotten over my time on Youtube a lot of them don't even have claimants on there, they're just 'durp, a third party did this,' even though it's on junk like the original music for Dishonored 1.

I thought this too but if you click the link to "view claim details" it actually shows the person's name and the material in question. I thought it was just "video bad, take it down" but they do provide info, to my surprise!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JesseCox/status/982266489259503616

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Welp, it struck a big boy too so at least there's a 'good' sign toward getting something done.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

judge reinhold posted:

I thought this too but if you click the link to "view claim details" it actually shows the person's name and the material in question. I thought it was just "video bad, take it down" but they do provide info, to my surprise!

not the case actually

an example. "hot ideas" isn't a valid channel that i can see.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Well, here's the source for the claimed track match, would that be a starting place?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfAglCBrFrA

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Well, here's the source for the claimed track match, would that be a starting place?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfAglCBrFrA

From the description, it looks like this is an auto-generated claim and the dates are suspiciously almost the same as Dishonored 1's release, so it might be frivolous but it might also be something resembling legit.

So I guess I'll ignore this one.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ometeotl posted:

I know, I just had to make sure Brad Jones wasn't a poo poo too

The consensus appears to be that Brad is clean and good and talented (unlike Doug) and very well insulated from CA's management hellscape. His only known flaw is that he is friends with and actually likes Doug as a person for some reason, so that's why he's staying silent and neutral.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Xboxshqip/AdRevEnt was noticed on Reddit as well:
https://www.reddit.com/r/youtube/comments/8a8l05/xboxshqip_goes_around_claiming_small_channels/

Their speculation kind of mirrors here, MCN gone nutso with auto-claims.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009

judge reinhold posted:

You could say it was voluntary but you also have to look at the time period that this was going on. This was back when youtube was still fairly new and it was exceptionally difficult to monetize your work. Blip was the alternative at the time but it didn't make finding any content creator easy. So the only real way you could get your content found was most likely through an aggregate site. That guy with the glasses as it was known at the time was fairly popular so getting your content on that site was one of the very few ways you could get noticed.

That and they apparently did host videos for a short term... on a single harddrive that was later lost. The main problem was that a lot of the content creators staked their livlihood on the site as their only source of income and there was nowhere to else to go because youtube partnership wasn't widely available yet and patreon wasn't even a thing for several more years, making sites like That guy with the glasses the only real way to earn sustainable income if you wanted to do web videos as a living.

It just meant that you had to deal with a callous CEO who could care less about you if didn't bring in the views, wouldn't give you the tools to be successful or did whatever he could to make you fail and until they moved to blip you were also at risk of having all your video wiped from the site for something as simple as being one day late with a video and being left with nothing. Or you could end up like one producer did and get fired for being fifteen minutes late to a skype call.

This kind of thing wouldn't occur now because there are so many ways to get the word out about your stuff and monetization is fairly simple as long as you don't run afoul of copyright. Back then it things weren't so easy so That guy with the glasses definitely had leverage over their producers.

Edit: Once youtube and patreon became a viable source of income people did start leaving with the exception of a few big producers.

Doseku fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 7, 2018

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Scaramouche posted:

Xboxshqip/AdRevEnt was noticed on Reddit as well:
https://www.reddit.com/r/youtube/comments/8a8l05/xboxshqip_goes_around_claiming_small_channels/

Their speculation kind of mirrors here, MCN gone nutso with auto-claims.

The worst skynet

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
my video "Epic Mario Fart" got flagged as well

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
still not sure if this is the right thread for it

But boy oh boy, look at Channel Awesome now: almost everyone has left it.

That second response didnt pay off so well

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Here's a much better thing that didn't involve a terrible tragedy

https://twitter.com/slowbeef/status/982421712217280513

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

DeafNote posted:

still not sure if this is the right thread for it

But boy oh boy, look at Channel Awesome now: almost everyone has left it.

That second response didnt pay off so well

This thread is probably more the one you want?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Yeah thanks.

Also its always good to see Dahir Insaat being back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I have found out about a channel where an Eighty Two year old Grandma plays Sky Rim and starts every video with "hey Grandkids"

Thought that it might be a nice change from DSP drama.