Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Inquisition dropped from Satyricon's NA tour I just read (weeks old it seems). Also, they were dropped from their label. Goatwhore added though so thats kinda cool.

Bloodshed was just such an amazing record though.... what a loving pile of poo poo Dagon is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Vargatron posted:

Gear theft is what inspired Metallica to write Fade to Black.
James favorite amp, right?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Wark Say posted:

James favorite amp, right?

Something like that. I was the kid who did a report on Metallica back in Middle School so that info stuck with me.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Vargatron posted:

Something like that. I was the kid who did a report on Metallica back in Middle School so that info stuck with me.

I brought in "Wherever I May Roam" to play & hand out lyrics in class one day in middle school for a "song to share that means something to you"

yeeeaaahh yeeeeeeaaaaaaaah

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Thread please post more stories such as this, tia.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I have a few school metal stories, but the first to come to mind I was in my art class with the same teacher I had probably 6 times throughout highschool in various art classes, and I brought in a little pocket speaker and he let me play music. I was playing The Work Which Transforms God at a medium volume, could only really be heard by my immediate table and maybe the nearest one as well as the teacher. Someone at another table complained that my music was too loud and abrasive, and my teacher told them it's important to acknowledge other people have different taste, and that if they actually listened to it they could realize something about them self. After class the teacher asked me who the band was, and I gave him a bunch of atmoblack recs :kimchi:
Next school year I start as the site tech for my old HS, he's still there so I'll be seeing him often.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I would go to shows all the time and I would never see the "metalheads" there, so gently caress those high-school posers

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Vargatron posted:

I brought Polkageist by Skyclad (a song about loving™) into an English class with a similar assignment. It went over pretty well, another student even asked to borrow the album.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
In English class during the poetry analysis phase, our teacher had us analyze a song. They'd play about the first 2 minutes of the song for the class then we'd go into the analysis

One of my classmates did this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD7bCRG3CG0

it was awesome

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Vargatron posted:

American history, sophomore year of high school we all had group presentations on the culture of a certain decade, and I picked the 80s and convinced my group to let me do music. I ended up deciding to present the "dynamics" of the decade by first playing Duran Duran for the class, and then "Toxic Waltz" by Exodus. Right after I did that, a few people asked to listen to Duran Duran again.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

symbolic posted:

American history, sophomore year of high school we all had group presentations on the culture of a certain decade, and I picked the 80s and convinced my group to let me do music. I ended up deciding to present the "dynamics" of the decade by first playing Duran Duran for the class, and then "Toxic Waltz" by Exodus. Right after I did that, a few people asked to listen to Duran Duran again.

lol

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Bumped into my history teacher at a Children Of Bodom show in like, 2003. That was weird.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I ditched confirmation class, went to the record store, and used the money I was supposed to donate to the church get the new Ozzy album that had just come out (Diary of a Madman).

Ozzy seemed like such a badass to a middle-schooler, lol.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I wore this shirt to high school in 1992 and a girl in my english class cried and told the teacher that she didn't like it. hehehe

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no
Had my copy of Cannibal Corpse's Eaten Back to Life confiscated by my freshman year religion teacher (Catholic school in Oklahoma), and got to watch her face go through a series of horrified contortions as she read the liner note lyrics while we were taking a test. She would periodically look at me in disbelief while doing this, to see the best evil toothy grin that my 15-year old face could muster looking back at her.

OpaqueEcho fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 3, 2018

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

OpaqueEcho posted:

Had my copy of Cannibal Corpse's Eaten Back to Life confiscated by my freshman year religion teacher (Catholic school in Oklahoma), and got to watch her face go through a series of horrified contortions as she read the liner note lyrics while we were taking a test. She would periodically look at me in disbelief while doing this, to see the best evil toothy grin that my 15-year old face could muster looking back at her.

There was a skinhead nazi dude who would wear an Eaten Back to Life shirt at my high school and then get sent home because it was inappropriate.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

henpod posted:

I know how much you guys love Dimmu Borgir and are excited for more new stuff following the previous new track, so here's a treat for you x.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ws18_MZ-lw
I love the juxtaposition of the old filmgrain effect with the loving ridiculous overproduction that's dominated their sound for the last 15 years

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, I did a song off Napalm Death's Fear, Emptiness, Despair for some class project.

I was a dumb rear end edgelord in grade 10.

Also playing Six Feet Under for art class as each student could bring a CD in for a friday class.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

tote up a bags posted:

Bumped into my history teacher at a Children Of Bodom show in like, 2003. That was weird.

Ah poo poo, this brought back another memory, also involving Skyclad (I'm usually cool, I swear): there was this gig that was a showcase of local bands, mostly 55 yo Scorpions and Accept appreciators, headlined by post-Walkyier Skyclad (?? they're not local). One of the actually local bands had one of my university docents on keyboard and backing vocals. I recognized him, he recognized me, we never talked about it. The best part was how the local bands had decent turnout and then when Skyclad played there were like 20 people left. I honestly can't believe they're still going.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
A guy in my class got detention for wearing a gently caress me jesus shirt by cradle of filth i think to school

We also had a priest come and tell us about the dangers of black metal

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When I was in school it was all wobbly VHS tapes about the horrors of backmasked satanic messages. I had no interest in led zeppelin until that point.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Dyna Soar posted:

A guy in my class got detention for wearing a gently caress me jesus shirt by cradle of filth i think to school

We also had a priest come and tell us about the dangers of black metal

The Marduk one where she's loving herself with a crucifix? If so lmao that kid owns

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Yeah marduk! Black metal was huge here in the nordic states back then, from like ‘95 to ‘99

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I'm 25 so I wasn't old enough during the second wave to know any music beyond the Power Rangers intro, so I asked my mom yesterday if she remembers all the news reports about the church burnings and the couple deaths. She said "Oh yeah, it was on the news every night with a new Church and they arrested that guy for murder, Barb or whatever." So close to having the right name, but she's still cool for approximately remembering it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Going to send that to her, thanks. I'll have to explain the context of the album cover but she should get a kick out of it

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Short for barbara

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
A little while ago I had some old hicks think an Iron Raegan shirt of mine was cool

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

On the last week of senior year when we didn't have to practice for anything, the chorus teacher had us share music with the whole class. Most people didn't like Mercyful Fate - Time. Welp.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I did a report on the use of Agent Orange and chemical weapons in the Vietnam War solely so I could force my sophmore history class to listen to Sodom. Convinced my junior year hippy-dippy bio teacher to play Wolves in the Throne Room's Vastness and Sorrow and afterwards a kid came up to me and asked if I liked Underoath.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
not metal but the first gig i ever played was on my 4th grade graduation, we had a band club at school and ours was a punk band called teddybeers and we played 4 songs that were basically ramones rip offs. our drummer couldn't really play drums consistently so he left the kick drum out that time

we split up during the summer because our guitarist decided he wanted to play hockey rather than play music

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 3, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Gear theft infuriates me on a very special level. That blows. They’re good people.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 3, 2018

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Dyna Soar posted:

our drummer couldn't really play drums

I used to know a band who were too nice to talk to their drummer about the fact he couldn't keep time. The rest of them were good musicians, and kind of tried to keep him on beat by tuning him out and listening to each other, but it always sounded awful.

e: no it wasn't Metallica

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 4, 2018

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Dyna Soar posted:

we split up during the summer because our guitarist decided he wanted to play hockey rather than play music

Usually punk musicians do that when they find out they *can't* play hockey.

Anyway, it's almost that time of year, so here's a song from when Bathory sounded like Pantera and Quorthon sang about playoff hockey instead of vikings or Satan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e7SwIh-ZoU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Nazzadan posted:

The Marduk one where she's loving herself with a crucifix? If so lmao that kid owns

Cradle of Filth also had one with basically the same picture and JESUS IS A oval office on the back. I had that one.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Vargatron posted:

Um, excuse me it's called vampyre metal you philistine!

That was usually used to mean sad french stuff like Mütiilation iirc, and not really like super overproduced nuclear blast bands.

Hell, maybe they'll be able to reinvent themselves as a good band now

saviro
Apr 28, 2005
the revenge of the peruvian
freshman year of college, public speaking class, for some reason I was one of 4 guys in a 25+ class, did a presentation about early 90's norwegian black metal, full with arson and mayhem stuff. got a C

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

COOL CORN posted:

Cradle of Filth also had one with basically the same picture and JESUS IS A oval office on the back. I had that one.

Now im confused which one it was. One or the other

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

New Panopticon is out and available for streaming.

https://thetruepanopticon.bandcamp.com/album/the-scars-of-man-on-the-once-nameless-wilderness-i-and-ii

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I remember there being quite a few Kalmah fans in this thread.

I bring this up because they've put out some new stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=122UaxwXuw4

I've never really gotten into this band all that much - they just sound like proficient but unremarkable melodeath to me - but I have to say this song has pretty nice hooks.